Best laptop for $450 CAD? What're your opinions?

Best laptop for $450 CAD? What're your opinions?

Used macbook pro.

if your macbook isn't the latest model, this just screams poor, and it looks worse every single year you don't upgrade.

I mean for context I'm entering a comp sci program and need it primarily for that. I have a desktop at home for games n whatnot.

An ASUS EeeBook E403.

buy a used T or X series thinkpad and add an SSD.

They mostly all look the same... How can they look outdated?

I used a macbook pro to get my computer science degree. It's perfectly doable. Dual booted osx and Windows and Linux at times.

literally any Latitude made after 2007.

I'd try an e6400 and a cheap ssd. Should fix all your problems.

Current model macbooks no longer have the glowing logo, it's passe and it makes your shit look old.

Only an autist would notice that. Besides, that's only on the shitty new macbook right?

The new design language will grace the MBA and MBP models in the next refresh.

>unironically recommending a used macbook

They're an even worse value used than new. You're going to pay at least 40% more for a used macbook than comparable hardware with any other brand.

Everyone notices a glowing Apple icon, it kinda stand out

are you retarded? macbook pros have looked the same year after year since like 2009 and airs since 2011. any year you buy after that will look recent

Why would anyone buy a used macbook? I have to say they hold amazing resale value because people seem to like buying them used. I mean the main thing about them is "it just works" and the "battery life" you are throwing that away buying a used one. Just wait 2-3 weeks for the new mbp announcement and then get a student discount and buy one. Otherwise just buy whatever the fuck you want.

At work I have a refurbished Dell M6500. For 500$ I got great screen and keyboard, plentiful of ports with a dock and performance good enough for 2D CAD work.

We already lost 2 units, because some retards thought that it is a good idea to bring them to construction site.

T420 or above
Wouldn't recommend a X serie laptop since you'll prob need a real gc

Because I wanted a thick macbook because they're repairable and upgradeable. Why would I buy a new one (exactly the same as the 2012) for 1300 when I could go on craigslist and get the same one for 500?

unless they got mysteriously cut in half there's no "lost a unit" with latitudes and precision's. Just buy the necessary replacement parts and fix it yourself.

I picked up a Dell Latitude E6420 with a Sandy Bridge i5 for like $130 bucks. I did have to add my own HDD (had a 500GB lying around), but it is damn fast and perfect for non-gaming related stuff.

>CAD

Newegg.ca has Thinkpad refurbs for 200 and less.

>macbooks
>repairable and upgradeable

You've never opened anything made by Apple. They're all made with these infuriating plastic clips and nonsensical screw placement that make them an utter nightmare to repair.

Also, you're going to pay at least 3 times as much for a used Macbook as you would a similarly-specced used thinkpad, latitude, or elitebook.

Got a brand new MBP when I started my undergrad. Was not my first time on OSX, loved it, etc etc. I got a free thinkpad x1 carbon when I started grad school. In retrospect, I only needed specs greater than a netbook for one elective course, everything else would've been manageable on a chromebook-tier piece of shit.

Macbooks are nice in my opinion. They're so far over qualified for an undergrad degree, it's like buying a tractor over a shovel to move dog shit. Get a netbook/thinkpad/etc. Linux is slightly more fun/convenient for coding than a mac, windows is bottom tier. Enjoy having some money to play with.

A month ago bought a refurbished Thinkpad for ~300 bucks. cad, matlab, virtualization and everything works great on it. Fun fact, the cpu is much more powerful than the cpu on my 3 year old gaming pc which runs almost all new games on high or max settings.

Up until the Retina models they were no more difficult to upgrade than other companies' laptops.

I'm in the middle of replacing a screen on a 2006 macbook and a motherboard on another 2006 macbook. They're a pain in the ass with a thousand unnecessary screws.

They have similar hardware to the x60, but cost thrice as much an are intentionally more difficult to work on.

used or refurbished thinkpad

This mentality is why people have to pay me ignorant amounts of money to handle theirs.

slightly related

a cheap (better for free) cad program for fresh engineering student without cad skills

Define what kind of CAD first.