I want to build a mini cooling system. I work in a lab where there is no AC. I can't bring an AC...

I want to build a mini cooling system. I work in a lab where there is no AC. I can't bring an AC, it would be seen as fucked up and it's expensive. I'm looking to build a peltier-cooled fan. I already have Intel BXTS13X cooler (pic related). I'd like to use it to cool the hot side of the peltier diviec as well as bring the cool liquid to a water block on the cool side of it (next pic for a schematic of the system).

My fear: The hot side of the peltier unit might get too hot for the cooling liquid. I dont have any technical datas about that liquid, so i can estimate it. I could guess R134a, but still.

what do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

sparkfun.com/products/10080
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

still op, here is the schematic

can't estimate it*

sorry fot typo

Go for it, let us know how it actually works.
The idea is good.

>The hot side of the peltie...
Regulate the peltier power

ya, worst case scenario:

I blow up a shitty worater cooler i dont have use for and a peltier unit worth 5 bucks. I'll definetly do it.

Best case scenario:

I stop sweating all day long

I know, I know. Never dealt with such a device. Do I only need to lower the input voltage, or always shoot the nominal voltage with a duty cycle? Anyway, i've not finished my data collection, i'm just asking for opinions.

I'd love just the voltage, but I'm guessing they are simple device's both would work.
Also don't forget paste.

Where will you exhaust the hot air?

Also: Check the specs of the Peltier unit you are buying. They will give the expected voltage/amperage/wattage.

You don't have to do that, do as in pic related.
Your version would work without a peltier and if one radiator would be in a cool closed enviroment.

my guess too

well, I'll just exaust the hot air far away from me. There is no AC but there's still ventilation, so the hot air will not raise the (pretty big) room's temperature too much before it's evacuated by normal air conducts

As for the peltier device, do you know any good suplyiers (on amazon about 50% percent of the reviews say that the unit arrived broken or just worked for 5 minutes, the other 50% says it worked flawlessly)

I did the system this way because it avoid using a second pump. Just the pump integrated with the Intel BXTS13X cooler and a second water block

this looks really fucking lewd OP

It won't be as good, the CPU block ain't that good of coolers for that.

well not much louder than a water cooled pc...

why to you think it would be louder?

hmm ok, my other version would use a ARCTIC Alpine 11 Plus CPU Cooler on the cool side.

I will be waiting for a thread about how it works. Good luck.

I do not think you understand how a TEC. You cool one side, and you heat one side, in addition to the extra heat generated by consuming the input power. Putting a TEC in a room and running it without proper exhaust of hot air will raise the temperature of the room.

the room's about 500 cubic meters, (10m x 10m x 5m) since hot aire goes up, it will reach the ceiling and then be evacuated before it fills up the entire room. Now, let's assume the room's air is now really turbulent (wich alows us to assume homogene room temp).

There is 1400 Kg of air in the room. The specific heat of air is 1.026 Kj/(Kg*K)
It would then take 1 432 296 J to heat the room by 1 Kelvin.
Assume a 100W peltier unit, it would then take 14 329 seconds to do that. (4 hours)

That assumes a closed system. (which is not the reality)

>I do not think you understand how a TEC

I think i do

#rekt

>There is 1400 Kg of air in the room.
1 cubic meter of air, according to Google, is 1.2 Kg.

If you are not isolating and ventilating the hot air outside the room, what is the purpose of the TEC?

>I think i do
Maybe you learn more once you set the system up and observe its effects.

smal typo error with my calculator. it would still take 2 hours to heat it up

Do not worry about the typo. Making a portable cooling system is a great idea. However, your current proposal is to build a system that slowly... heats up a room?

It's not a closed system, holy shit are people stupid

Speaking of stupid: It is not a portable cooling system either.

by portable i mean i can put on my desk and it doesnt take up all the space. I will not carry it arround in the fucking bus. Dude you are a little retarded IMHO

>Dude you are a little retarded IMHO
Thanks mate.

You do not need to worry about the hot side getting too hot, as each unit will list the maximum operating temps as well the Tmax in it specs, like so:
sparkfun.com/products/10080

Your WC unit can handle 130W easily.

In a circuit, a TEC acts like a standard resistor. If you see it getting too hot, you can simply lower the V or A, whichever is easier to control.

Wishing you the best of luck on your portable cooling system.

Sorry for calling you retarded, i thought you were just there to find the smallest imperfection to troll me.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful

this won't work as well as you think it will, unless you want to cool your cpu below ambient temps...

Peltier cooling has a few overlooked issues. Keeping temperatures close to ambient is inefficient. Too far and you will destroy the computer from condensation. There are some interesting forum posts about peltier cooling on overclocking forums but I haven't seen anything portable. Just make sure you do your research and share your fried cpu...err...results.

Peltier elements are easily among the least efficient ways to cool anything. They are only a viable option for few special cases. I don't think this is one of those cases.

he's not using it to cool a CPU, he's using it to cool a room