sourceforge.net/projects/sados/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>strawpoll
BOTNET

BumperiƱo

it depends what you want to do.

Want to be hype? Install Arch.
Want to be hipster? Install Gentoo.
Want a good server with applications that haven't been updated in the last 5 years? Install Centos/Debian.
Want a system that just werks? Install Manjaro/Mint/Ubuntu

There's no such thing as a master distro.

>Mint
Pretty good for new users
>Debian
Tried and true, can't go wrong there, plus ubuntu/mint are based on it anyway
>Ubuntu
Unity a shit, ubuntu has some other annoying aspects too
>Arch
Toy distro

>Nome of these are recommended by the GNU foundation.

Fuck linux NT6.1 is the only way.

>None of these are recommended by GMEME foundation
Fixed for you

>Gentoo not leading

Sup Forums is dead.

What you just said about CentOS was the most accurate thing I've ever read.

where's Slackware, nerd?

IOS

Want a good server with applications that haven't been updated in the last 5 years? Install Centos/Debian.

There is an unstable (or bleeding edge, whatever) Debian version working on kernel 4.5.something.

I see Debian overwhelmingly leading
> technology board
> running outdated software

>manjaro

Topest Kek

Yes, it is real.

fedora was kind of meh, debian straight blows. opensuse is gross and arch is fucking stupid.

>uses linux
>calls someone else a nerd

>fedora was kind of meh

Because it actually works?

>debian straight blows

Because it's old?

>opensuse is gross

Because you've never heard of it until now?

>arch is fucking stupid

Because it's a meme to hate it right now and/or because you failed to install it?

aside from stable (which is the ancient one people complain about, and the default on a fresh install) there's testing and unstable (sid). Unstable is at least as bleeding-edge as Fedora is. Testing follows behind, usually by only a week or two.

So if you really gotta go fast you can. but really I think a lot of people here do bleeding edge for bleeding edge's sake, not because they have any real reason to. They just like seeing updated packages waiting for them every day, and having something to mess around with in their computer all the time.

>being a faggot
>not killing yourself

My opinion:

>Linux Mint
Not even going to try it. Just run Debian or Ubuntu, which actually have security teams.

>Debian
Good choice for servers or stable desktops (no bleeding software unless you use the unstable branch).

>Ubuntu
Good choice for a beginner's desktops or people who don't want to fiddle with their OS.
For servers just use Debian.

>OpenSUSE
Not my cup of tea, though it does look interesting for a lot of people.

>Manjaro
Don't. See the screenshot above about the certificate.
Also see Arch.

>Fedora
Great for dev workstations. For servers see CentOS.

>CentOS
Good choice for servers or stable desktops (not bleeding edge)

>Arch
Maintainers make weird decisions (e.g. security), would not recommend.

>Gentoo
Still testing, no opinion yet.

What weird security-related decisions did Arch team made?

Like the thing in the past about package signing

>Mint
Enjoy your ISO backdoors LOL

>Neckbeard woring that someone will steal his animu collection

Nice try, apt was the last package manager to include package signing

>what is debian testing

sourceforge.net/projects/sados/

>Not using Sad OS

>They refuse to recommend Debian despite it being a completely free distro just because of its ease of use
They did it to themselves they did, that's what really hurts they did it to themselves just them them and no one else they did it to themseeeeeeeeeeelves they did it to themseeeeeeelves dont get my sympathy I am not the fifteenth floor blah blah teach you how to be a holy cow etc. etc.

they refuse to recommend it because, in their eyes, it's not a free distro, because they have contrib and non-free repos. In their eyes distributing any non-free software to anyone at any time for any reason, even if its off by default and the user must explicitly request it, is 100% haram.

I know but it's still fucking stupid and just hurting their organisation.

WINDOWS 10

>purple text
retard using history, you better kill yourself before it's too late OP

This year too mate

popularity without the tasks they perform is pointless and you're basically looking at this from a fashion accessory tier, whatever is trendy is in, black is the new red, arch is the new gentoo. who cares.

You won't find a graph on that site about the actual tasks these distros do - redhat, debian, ubuntu, fedora etc run the internet and world, and everything else that isn't a desktop/laptop distro or embedded system distro is a timesink. No matter how much you cry and whine about it being "for noobs", ubuntu is still used to run actual websites and be a free OS for business.

You don't see vocal, angry redhat or debian users crying for attention online because they're much too busy at their careers. Arch, gentoo, slackware have loads of time on their hands... and rack up points for download times because they keep fucking up their own system

sounds like someone tried to install arch and couldn't figure out how to use the command line

I voted for arch ironically.