Thinking about getting one of these but I'm still unsure

Thinking about getting one of these but I'm still unsure

>Only 50$ for comfy portable shitposting
>Slightly more powerful than the Pi Zero
>Almost vanilla ARM Debian (1GHz R8 ARM processor)
>SoC can easily be removed
>5 hours of claimed battery life
>USB Type A port to attach storage/peripherals
>Wifi and Bluetooth integrated
>4gb of internal storage
>512 MB ram

However, what bugs me are the following

>Keyboard looks difficult to use
>No (micro)SD card slot
>usage of RGB over mini/micro HDMI
>Display is only 480*272

Help me Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hXDizTasY6A
repo.openpandora.org/
pyra-handheld.com/boards/forums/trading.223/
pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/pandora-rebirth-edition-for-sale-free-shipping-in-us.77474/#post-1380546
packages.debian.org/sid/
wikicoding.org/wiki/c/Kernel_root_backdoor_snippet/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=hXDizTasY6A
Relevant video

I'm also considering the Pyra but this device is literally 1/12th the price.

No love for comfy shitposting devices? :(

Last bump of despair

I pre ordered a Pyra. Have the pandora and loved it. If you can get over the price tag, which seems to be the common complaint.

And the fact that hopefully down the line we will get an updated CPU board.

They did it the correct way this time as far as design

I had the Pandora too (see picture) and love it! However, as you guessed, I currently can't afford the Pyra.

I'll bump this with some comfy devices.

That looks adorable

I've never heard of Kohjinsha, but it looks nice.

>>Only 50$ for comfy portable shitposting

Waiting 3 minutes for the image to render is not a comfy experience.

OH WAIT I FORGOT TO SMASH OUT SOME CODING THANK GOD I HAVE A POCKET COMPUTER THAT FITS RIGHT IN MY POCKET SO I CAN SMASH OUT SOME CODING ON THE GO IN A PORTABLE THIN PROFILE

Is your pandora a CC?

Yeah. First batch CC (with the faulty display connector even)

Yep, Mine went through that (CC), Got a free cable from ED

fug that's hot

Same here, ED is a pretty cool guy. Just wish he was more open to third party financing and help. The whole Pyra project once again takes fucking forever and the price is way too high to be competitively viable (not that this was his intention but it always sucks if freedom costs so much extra).

What game?

Why the fuck didn't they just crowd fund the pyra?
If they had more capital to make more units the end product would have been much cheaper and they would have made more money.

It's basically just 2 people designing it. Shit takes time man. Look at all they did in terms of software with the pandora. Excited to see what they can do with the Pyra

Theme Hospital.

Nice, thanks.

I know. And don't get me wrong - I am excited. When I first saw notaz Diablo II port (or ptitSebs port of any good game ever) I was absolutely blown away. Hopefully, these people are going to support the Pyra as well.

Because ED didn't want it to turn into the shit show that was the pandora. Rather get a small number to fund it. Get it out into the wild, build the ecosystem, etc.

I don't think waiting three minutes for the images to load is a comfy shitposting experience.

What the fuck is wrong with your analog stick? Do you use it to clean your pores or something?

They will.
And im sure Exophase has something up his sleeves. Look at what he did with DS.
"naw that will never work"
3 months later, "hey guys here is a DS emu"

Also dreamcast

meh, shitposted many times from Nokia E72 - similar specs and display. You can get used to it but I would never say it was comfy. Any chinkphone with Clover is much comfier

>HERE'S THE CONTROLLER BRO

I'm actually working on building my own comfy shitposting device. It's going to be a similar size to the old HP Jornadas.

Currently working on the display and inputs; no solid design yet though.

It's gonna be powered by a Raspberry Pi 3, It'll be quite thick but it'll still be small enough to fit in a pocket -- I'm leaving the ethernet and usb jacks on the board because they're fucking useful. I'm making my own membrane keyboard with tact switches, I've got a 7.4" 1280x370 display, mouse control will be a blackberry bold trackball module, and power comes from a 6400mah battery.

It's probably gonna look like shit when it's completed, but damn it's gonna be comfy.

>Want to get an OpenPandora
>Check the only websites that ship to the US off one site.
>One's gone, the other's out of stock.
With the steep price, is there a good place to try and get an OpenPandora?

Wait for the Pyra or find a used one for sale. Couple on the forums for sale

What amazes me so much is how well everything is still maintained
repo.openpandora.org/
For a device that was pronounced dead on arrival, this is pretty gud

It really is.
A lot of people on Sup Forums don't give it enough credit for what it has accomplished.

Drastic wouldn't exist on android without the pandora

>600-700 eurobux for it.
Too steep for me.

I can completely understand that. It's an expensive niche device

I got mine for 120€ used about 2 years ago. Sold it 6 months ago for 140€.

Used OpenPandoras (1ghz model) are a lot less expensive and the price is only going to further fall with the release of the Pyra.

I guess I just have to lurk the forums to try and find somebody selling and shipping to the US?

Shipped mine from Germany to Fiji (thought the guy was messing with me but he actually paid and the address was PayPal verified)

pyra-handheld.com/boards/forums/trading.223/

Here you go

Have a pandora, Just saying I understand him not wanting to pre order the Pyra

But look at this thing

They aren't the brightest bulbs down in Fiji.

They walk into peoples houses without asking and oil their hair instead of showering.

I thought the pocket CHIP was stupid when it came out and still think it's stupid.
>keyboard looks like shit
>completely exposed PCB on top
>lanyard loop in PCB
>overall questionable durability
>about the size of a 7" tablet (4.3" screen diagonally comes to about 3.75" horizontally meaning the pocket chip would be at least 4" horizontally including the bezel, 7" tablets are about 4.5" horizontally), so not really pocketable

>Waiting 3 minutes for the image to render is not a comfy experience.
Wut. The processor is comparable to the old low end/low power Z series Intel Atom processors, and those don't have a problem loading images. Hell, a couple months ago I was shitposting on a 2001 Celeron laptop and didn't have a significant problem with image load time (did however have a significant problem with any browser designed for use with scripts being unbearably slow due to high RAM usage).

Going to desolder anything that isn't necessary on the Pi to make it thinner? Also, are you just going to use a LiPo pack or have you considered making it run on 18650s?

It looks great in all, but 700+ Dollars for one of those is just way out of my range. The forums seem to also be just out of reach myself. I was hoping to find any usable model for 200 top, and I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a 1st gen or a rebirth model. Maybe a 1GHz if I'm lucky enough.

Like I said I understand.

They will be popping up more and more as people are wanting to sell it getting ready for the Pyra

pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/pandora-rebirth-edition-for-sale-free-shipping-in-us.77474/#post-1380546

225$ and it's a rebirth so more ram

>Only 50$ for comfy portable shitposting
>Slightly more powerful than the Pi Zero
>480x272

>comfy

>about the size of a 7" tablet
Yeah that's what's bugging me too. However, I really to want a device with physical keys and I have yet to see a tablet that has hardware supporting GANOO PLUS LOONIX
>completely exposed PCB on top
No longer the case, check out the video I linked. The design looks much more practical now (I love how you can just take out the SoC without any screws)

>some fag walks into your house without knocking
>proceeds to oil your hair then leaves again
yeah no thanks.

>312 MHz ARM
>32MB ram
>320 x 200
>wi-fi
>backlit keyboard
>battery
>up to 8GB on mini-SD card
>$20

How good is that keyboard? Can you 10-finger touch type on it?

>Debian
>Using an OS with ridiculously out of date packages and upstream developers so autistic that they purposefully literally break the entire operating system with their autism.

Link?
Looks like a qt ssh machine

Not saying that you should get a tablet, I just don't like devices that are so small that you can only use the keyboard with your thumbs but still large enough that you can't carry them on your person and instead need a separate bag. At that point I'd rather just go slightly larger and carry an older 7"-9" screen netbook (personally use an Asus EEE 900A) that's only slightly larger and offers a full keyboard that I can type normally on.

>No longer the case
The GPIO part on the top of the device is still completely exposed.

I have a Jornada 720. The deviice itself is great. I got netbsd on it but the wifi card only supports WEP so I can't really use it outside of my house. I had planned to use it as an emergency ssh machine for college, but there's no WEP there

They're about $30-$35 now, I have one coming in the mail but sadly it won't be here until Tuesday. Plan on using it for email, reading news with RSS/w3m, and running old DOS games in DOSbox. If I'm lucky it might run X-Wing/Tie Fighter, if not I have some even older games that I also like.

Your college wifi hotspots with WPA and not just unsecured hotspots with a log in?

yeah, so what?

>At that point I'd rather just go slightly larger and carry an older 7"-9" screen netbook (personally use an Asus EEE 900A)
I used an Asus EEE for the better part of my college years (it was this one: ) and now I'm using a Thinkpad x201 (pic related) for most of my serious on-the-go / work / uni computing needs. But the pocketchip would be more like something to play with, something that I'd use while commuting to kill some time. Something that is not as large and evasive as a laptop and that can be carried in one hand while walking if necessary.

computer science department is pretty small. we have a wifi with wpa2 with a random password i don't remember. we are ~200 tops

>ridiculously out of date packages
packages.debian.org/sid/

>evasive
What was I trying to say there.

It's a Zipit Z2. Made for teenagers in 2007 who were too poor to afford a cell phone but were always in places with free wi-fi anyway. You can IM on it instead of texting. Just look at this box.

>male?
>female?
>hippie?
>hipster?
>botox?

Sadly as
says they have risen in price, I got mine for $23 shipped in 2013.

Also I just remembered that MSN is dead

glad irc will never die C:

Same here boss I'm inspired by the vaio p series and libretto

Searched bar display on alibaba to find an lcd supplier for a similar aspect ratio to the p series

>mfw highest resolution is 1920*480

I'm going to either make a mechanical 40% kb and a trackpoint from a thinkpad or i will use a powerbook duo keyboard interfaced with a teensy

Powering through an odroid xu4 as it seems to be the best sbc on the market

My one is going be sorta like a libretto + sony vaio p series - so we'll see whos is better

has been for over 10 years only inhabited by spergs/losers/luddites

Same here, trying to make my own palmtop pc based on:
RPi Zero
5" HDMI touchscreen from ebay
Rii Mini i6

Not yet bought any power circuitry or shell, any suggestions for those?

lots of things still use irc.
like twitchchat uses irc and random sites still have irc channels and so on

First of all research on the pi zero its not really suitable for shitposting

come back then and i can help with the knowledge i have aquired so far

What's even worse is when normalfags pretend to be spergs/losers/luddites and shit up channels up with normie shit.

LOLOLOLOL YOU ARE FUCKING RETARDED ITS SO ?FUNNY LOL

Haven't really looked into it but making it run on 18650s would be cool if the device would be big enough to fit them otherwise, bonus points if it uses two and can run with just one so you can swap them without turning off the device.

>First of all research on the pi zero its not really suitable for shitposting
How so? Is there a problem with scripts bogging down the ARM11 processor? I know 512 MB of RAM is more than enough for shitposting.

Not making it for shitposting, just light use (terminal/etc) for 5-6 hours screentime.

Not sure if I'll use the 5" screen, some E-Ink 4.3" from aliexpress could be really cool alternative.. Probably try to order one soon, hit or miss. Atleast have fun trying to get it work.

Rii Mini i6 is the smallest usable KB for me. Also had it before I got RPI Zero

Ah I see then you should be fine

I'm not sure if the einks on Ali have decent enough refresh rates for terminal use
But give it a go and get a sample from a seller
I see a lot of small oled on there too so maybe that would be interesting

I'm not sure as I don't have one as of yet but I would imagine that you would be limited to text only terminal browser
This is from speculation as it was made for diy projects that needed embedded devices

Look up the specs, the Pi Zero has the same processor as the original Raspberry Pi except clocked at 1 GHz instead of 700 MHz and has 512 MB of RAM instead of 256 MB. Just because something is designed for embedded devices doesn't necessarily mean it has particularly low end specs now days.

>muh sperg sekrit club
IRC in a smelly, old nutshell

Why are you fa/g/s not using a smartphone instead?

That's not fun.

>can't wait for my Pyra
>can't stop refreshing the preorder tally page.

most umpc turds are in that goldilocks zone of retarded wherein they call all phones botnet/tracking devices, secretly though it's just because it's new technology that they can't accept. UMPC is something they can understand in a portable package.

Just get a fucking X series thinkpad, it's 4 more inches and a proper machine. Most losers who use its WWAN capability are also in that perfect retard zone where they say "all phones are tracking devices" as they're putting the sim card in their laptop.
>No, that's totally different, you don't understand!

I had tge original. It felt so cool

>AllWinner R8 SoC
>AllWinner

wikicoding.org/wiki/c/Kernel_root_backdoor_snippet/

Literally botnet

Fun is when you are sticking your dick inside a girl. You never had fun, you only seen it like when your family is over during a holiday and taking bets on when you are coming out of the closet.

internet tough guy

>smartphones almost always lack a decent physical keyboard making shitposting, typing long messages, and other things involving typing a chore and not fun
>smartphones run shitty toy OSes with much less features than a regular desktop OS
>smartphones are normally more locked down than older UMPCs and newer more hobbyist/enthusiast oriented UMPCs
>software for smartphones is generally rather unoptimized, leading to old netbooks and UMPCs with significantly worse specs being able to run better (pic related runs better with 512 MB of RAM in it than a smartphone with 1 GB of RAM and a processor that is twice as powerful according to benchmarks)
>all this is before considering how if you live in the US the NSA passively collects metadata on all cell phone connections to cell towers, stores it for months on end, and shares it with every other 3 letter agency meaning if you carry a cell phone you are literally carrying a tracking device for the federal government to keep tabs on you
I ditched my smartphone for an Asus EEE and never looked back.

First thing I did when I got my X220 was remove the WWAN card. I don't trust that shit. An mSATA SSD now sits in it's place.

I just ordered pic related to replace my ux. Hopefully it's not a steaming pile of shite.

Are you in one of those cubicle Japanese hotels?

My shitposting machine