390x beating out 970 in most newly released games

>390x beating out 970 in most newly released games

>Nvidia releases 10xx series cards, which are Maxwell with higher clock speeds, improved memory compression, and a die shrink.

>Polaris is going to be a 390x with a die shrink, memory compression, and possibly higher clocks

>"AMD won't be able to compete with the 1070"

Can somebody explain this?

AMD has better products, Nvidia has better marketing.
What is so hard to understand?

Shouldn't you compare the 390x with the 980?in my area their prices are much closer together

390 non x version is the competition of 970

Same price point

4th gen GCN is radically different from its predecessors, and neither Polaris die is even remotely close to a shrink of Hawaii.

That being said, stop taking shills and fanboys seriously. They're not even real people.

given how much before the 390 the 970 came out, everyone who wanted a card bought a 970.

In any area.

This "AMD is cheap" meme needs to end.

>AMD is literally 6+ months behind NVidia in terms of performance
>their fanboys seem to think they are amazing when they finally release competing hardware
Call me when AMD starts releasing their competition within a fucking month.

980 and Fury are neck and neck in price for the United States. That's not the point though. The point is that Polaris has potential to compete with the 1070, if history repeats itself. Nvidia fanboys (including articles written at the level of a Sup Forums shitpost) are actively denying this and claiming AMD is bankrupt and finished.

AMD is definitely not cheap, especially with X versions. They do, however, have a history of great price:performance in their budget options compared to the mediocrity of Nvidia's x60s.

Patience is a virtue, and a GPU purchase is a fairly long term commitment for a good number of people.

it doesn't matter how Polaris performs, Nvidia marketing has already won

>AMD is literally 6+ months behind NVidia in terms of performance

Try 6+ years. The 1070 has Titan X performance whilst using the same power as a GTX 960. AMD's housefire pieces of shit use three times that amount of electricity and compete with a GTX 970 at best.

It's fucking over.

>The point is that Polaris has potential to compete with the 1070

Uncut Polaris 10 will maybe be neck and neck with the GTX 980 while drawing 100w~.

>Patience is a virtue, and a GPU purchase is a fairly long term commitment for a good number of people.
Yeah, but both fucking sides have an 8-12 month release cycle. If you wait for the competition then you can wait equally long for the next product from the other competition.

There's literally no point in waiting. Just buy the best thing you can afford at the next release window.

>le merely simply higher clock speeds
Go fuck yourself kid. Go look at the benchmarks. Your meme argument is invalid. AMD is finished.

I agree that they have a history, I'm using 7850 at the moment, it was relatively cheap, and it served me well.

However, there is no point in waiting for Polaris, even if it will be able to compete with 1070, it will be in the same price range.

760 master race

The GTX 770 which is supposed to be better than the GTX 960 is performing like shit in the newest games as well.

Nvidia premium.

>"AMD won't be able to compete with the 1070"
They'll price it appropriately relative to the 1070.

>It's just a die shrink
>It's just higher clocks
I mean these recent events are no different from what has been going on in the tech industry for decades. I don't know why people are so shocked.

Nice meme, street shitter. The 960 has always offered similar performance at a lower price point. The 1060 will offer around 970 performance at a lower price point. That's how new generations work further down the stack.

Nice SLI

Sources: Your ass, a random literal who article writer that doesn't really know either.

People who want to use more than 4 monitors, the cheaper gsync alternative freesync monitors, or better surround multimonitor would disagree. Not to mention those interested in multi GPU not willing to pay extra for motherboards Nvidia decides to allow SLI on. Save $0 on the cards, $800 on monitors and motherboard. An extreme case no doubt, but even $50 is a lot of tacos.

>High end AMD card beats midrange Nvidia card

wow
Good job, AMD!

At least it doesn't actually LOSE performance like the 295X versus the 290X. Crossfire a maximum shit as always.

Polaris is entry and mid level, Vega is AMD's high end GPU.

AMD's mid level GPU isn't tackling Nvidia's high end.

>B-b-but it'll offer 80% of the performance at 79% of the price and comes with a free roll of toilet paper so it's better price to performance!
>Nvidia b-b-btfo!

490X is Polaris, and 390X destroys 970. It could happen again, especially if Nvidia is lying about x70 specs again. No I don't even mean the 3.5 nonsense, they actually blatantly lied about other specs as well, in case anyone forgot.

Buying either before both are benched by unbiased users is hilariously foolish.

That being said, Vega all the way. Can't wait to upgrade from my 290 xfire. The temps aren't a meme.

Isn't the rumored Polaris 480/480x supposed to be close to Fury X in terms of performance? We all know that the Fury X isn't far behind the Titan X.
So essentially a 1070 being faster than the Titan X isn't even close to shitting your pants impressive. Especially when you could purchase a 480/480x for $200-299. When the 1070 will go for $379-449.

>tfw you realize AMD is only catching up to Intel and Nvidia because AMD hasn't offered decent competition for years so Intel and Nvidia have gotten lazy
>tfw as soon as AMD actually does catch up to Intel/Nvidia, Intel and Nvidia will put more effort into improving their products and will blow AMD out of the water yet again, and then they'll get lazy again
>tfw Intel and Nvidia probably stockpiled a lot of inventions that they're waiting to implement until they actually have competition, and if they implemented them when they came up with them the CPU/GPU industry would be advancing much faster
I just want real competition in the CPU/GPU market, not this tortoise and the hair shit.

R9 480X is benched, 3DM11 18060. Fury X is 19315. Titan X is 22903. A bit of a stretch there mate.

>hair

AMD actually invents the things, Nvidia just implements them first with their huge resource lead. Their free as in freedom non proprietary practices hurt them.

Isn't capitalism supposed to reward excellence, or did I miss something?

>he thinks capitalism works

It is rewarding excellence. Excellence at tricking consumers aka marketing.

>A bit of a stretch

You mean like citing random shit that's completely unconfirmed as fact?

>a two nodes die shrink reduces energy consumption massively
Wow, it's fucking nothing

Capitalism only rewards what does well on the market, and who does well on the market relies on a bazillion different factors. Good marketing helps you do well, but you do need something to back the marketing up or else people will quickly become jaded. So I'd say there's a ratio of actually delivering and marketing, and right now Nvidia has found the more successful balance between the two. Hopefully AMD forces them to deliver more with their marketing.

>a dual chip card is clocked lower than the single chip card
Who would have guessed?

It's actually around 100W.

290X stock clock: Up to 1000MHz
295X stock clock: Up to 1018MHz

Do you AMDtards ever get tired of embarrassing yourselves?

What the hell are you on? AMD gave them engineering samples to test, the NDA is up, it's legit.

The NDA is not over, you clown. It ends June 29.