There will never be a Linux distro that works better than Windows

There will never be a Linux distro that works better than Windows.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Debian Testing

At doing what?

Pajeet, please note that you don't get any extra money for shilling after work hours. We commend you for the effort though.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Management

Really makes you think...

This. Debian almost completely replaces windows.

On the desktop, that's true. There might be so much shit on Windows, but at least I know my hardware WILL have drivers and they won't cause a kernel panic.

Computers were never meant for Normie's anyway, Most people have absolutely no business whatsoever using a computer.

All of them do

It has for me.

This. Debian testing is almost perfect. Manjaro also gets major props for a wonderful out-of-box experience.

Is that so? I currently dual boot Windows 10 and Kubuntu. I have no problem with Linux but windows 10 has a memory leak so after 20 - 30 hours even with no applications open ram usage is >99% and I can't even open the start menu or CTRL - ALT - DEL to turn off my computer, this is a relatively common problem for window 10.

Also whenever I open a peer to peer, including stuff such as Skype, program on Windows 10 my Internet dies BOTH on Windows 10 and on my router somehow.
It does not matter if I use the automatically downloaded drivers or different drivers downloaded specifically for my network card.
This was not a problem for Windows 7, it is not a problem on kubuntu and it's not a problem on my other computer running Debian mainly as a seed box.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

>This x1,000,000
You should have to have some type operating license for a pc.
Imagine an internet with no normies
>just like 2001

Why are you linking me that? I'm not running a VM and my problem is with Windows not Linux.

Run. Windows. In. Linux.

You get at least ~95% of the performance.

just working without using a command line would be a damned good start.

being able to download a program...click it and it fucking just INSTALLS would be better still.

but im not holding my breath

Debian

Getting close.
Found some scripts to blacklist my cards with the same vendor & device ID.

It's shame SLI doesn't work under the VM.

Sounds like you don't want something better than Windows in so much as you want another copy of Windows.

The terminal is your friend.
Do not be afraid.

This. I was really apprehensive about using the terminal at first, but then I kind of just relaxed into it. Take it easy and the knowledge will come.

The terminal is fucking goat, the other day I needed putty to ssh into some shit.
I just opened my terminal, typed sudo apt-get intstall putty and boom its installed, no googling the software, finding the official website downloading it, navigating to the downloads folder, and then running the installer.
Linux just Werks!

fuck that noise. I stopped using DOS in the early 90's for a good reason. if you can imagine putting up with the buggy shit-fest of windows 3x then think about this; we gladly changed to something that barely worked just to get away from command lines.

Not going back to the command prompt for daily usage. And if I cant just install the programs i need without hassle whats the point.

Look point blank honesty time...no trolling or shitposting here. linux is in fact the best...except in the case of user interface and thats a damned important aspect. The end user does not care about much other than getting from point A to point B with as little hassle as possible.

when linux learns this lesson it WILL DOMINATE. but until then nobody gives a shit

pic related

>implying Pajeet lives in the US
>implying Microsoft Managment works after hours.

I don't understand, OP. Your statement is nonsense because windows doesn't "work," its goal is not to work nor will it ever be. Its goal is to create vendor lock-in for Microsoft. If you can use it to accomplish other things then that is merely a coincidence.

And on a final note....When the interface issue gets resolved not only will it dominate but myself and many others will gladly PAY GOOD MONEY FOR IT. the market is there but the public just dont have a choice right now.

Today's award for the lowest quality thread goes to you, OP. You've earned it.

There will never be a Linux distro that's as dank as Windows.

What you just described is exactly what the average user will never willingly do...what you just described is grounds for not just uninstalling an operating system but forever cursing it and telling tales of its eternal evil lest you friends and family suffer as you have.

Never wanting to do what you just described doing will ensure people stay the fuck away from linux forever. Most people would honestly rather you just punched them hard in the gonads. repeatedly.

>without hassle
Say out loud "Computer, install firefox."
Then type in "Computer, install firefox".
Now erase "Computer," and replace it with "apt-get".
There, that wasn't so hard, was it?

extremely. And the fact that you do not get this is the problem. What new users would ever possibly know or figure out how to do that without a tutorial? a detailed tutorial.

some users would very literally cry because "their computer doesnt work right". That computer would be returned in record numbers for being broken.

please refer to my post directly above yours. users would rather get punched in the dick.

there will never be a linux distro that both werks and doesn't have systemd

>typing is hard
>that's why I've typed up 3 paragraphs
If you absolutely cannot stand typing into a terminal, there are GUI package managers. The Ubuntu Software Center comes to mind. Think "app store" but free.
If you don't want to even look at the keyboard, there are .deb files you can download and double click to install.
I don't know what you're looking for.

well android just werks as one would expect...but its botnet and sucks for desktop usage

the final outcome will be determined by whether the linux community oulls its head out of its ass BEFORE google makes a functional desktop android

Do you honestly believe Windows is any better? protip: you need to be a trained systems administrator to administer any Windows system

Use Ubuntu.
It has a software center so you don't need cli to install shit.

bullshit. you cannot use with any ease a single distro without the command line.

and second the command line doesnt bother me or you but what fucking new user would know ANY OF THOSE COMMANDS? they are not easy. they are not intuitive. and they are the reason people stay the fuck away from linux.

And why should they have to learn the terminal if windows, OSX ios and android do not need one for general use and are retard easy to operate?

Why would you need the command line in Ubuntu if you're not tech literate enough to even know what it is? No normie task will require cli.

Manjaro can't even fix their site

and that does not affect ANYONE AT ALL.

With a bunch of outdated software on it

bullshit. you can use with ease all distros without the command line.

It affects everybody matey. There are many many people today who are enjoying an unrequested life of telemetry reports in Windows 10.

But they all work better than Windows.

>bullshit. you cannot use with any ease a single distro without the command line.
Try it. Using Ubuntu, installing an application is as easy as opening the Ubuntu Software Center and typing in the name of the app you want. Even if you're not sure of what you want, you can browse it simply by clicking around.
What specifically can't be done with a GUI?

Use an AMD GPU.

installing software is a normie task. not every piece of commonly used or needed software is in the gui downloader. YOU WILL HAVE TO USE TERMINAL.

also installing drivers.

look im not trolling and im not attacking you guys. IM GIVING USER FEEDBACK. It doesnt become less honest simply because you do not like it.

This is why the 'year of linux desktop' never happens. this shit is not user or newb friendly. its made for hobbyists and high end IT. Nobody else wants to deal with it, they just want to get shit done and over with. They do not care about anything else.

And if a version was released that 'just werks' the public would pay for it willingly. manufacturers would put it on their systems. We would sing its praises forever and always.

Command lines are intuitive stop spreading FUD.

>installing software is a normie task.
Pic related.

>commonly used or needed software
Such as?

>also installing drivers
"Normie" task?

>we would sing its praises forever and always.
No, you won't, because no, you aren't.

as if I havent tried ubuntu...or mandriva...or fedora...or mint (btw fluxbox version is awesome)...or kali...or puppy...and the list goes on.

and im not saying i dislike linux either, far from it.

But I am saying I would never install it on anyone else's computer and expect them to be able to function for more than a week without calling me in utter desperation, begging me to fix their broken machine.

And once again there is ALOT of software that is not present in the software centers. its very difficult for regular users to find the program they want, download it click the icon and it simply installs. For most people this is an honest to god nightmare scenario

Thing is I WANT LINUX TO SUCCEED. this is feedback because im secretly hoping against hope at least some devs hang out on this site. this isnt the only place I post this shit i promise.

>there is ALOT
Then you should have no trouble naming one.

The second you talk about installing a distro for a specific window manager people know you don't use Linux and your opinion is invalidated.

if you do not know the commands then yes they are extremely unintuitive. And even then memorize the commands. this is not the kind of shit normies are prepared to deal with.
installing drivers is in fact a normie task. people upgrade their shit and get new parts. they need drivers. And that shit doesnt auto install many times.

I have installed Ubuntu on my mother's old Windows 7 machine. She has never called me to fix her computer problems because she has never had computer problems operating Ubuntu; she is not afraid to ask my help for anything. All I did the most minimal of training to point out where are the word processor and web browser and she's figured everything else out herself.

>being able to download a program...click it and it fucking just INSTALLS would be better still.

You already can do that with deb, rpm etc packages. But repo system is much better.

My mom loves Ubuntu mate and she still calls her internet browser "the email"

Normies do not upgrade their shit. They buy brand new computers with new shit already installed.

actually a fluxbox pre installed version has been made availiable for mint several times. but i assume you do not know this.

simply because you do not like the feedback does not make it irrelevant

It actually does, the entire point of GNU/Linux is freedom of choice, if you don't want freedom it isn't going to appeal to you and you should go back to OSX.

How else would you install opera on Fedora?
I downloaded the .rpm and double clicked it. Funnily enough it didn't prompt me to install a thousand other programs throughout the installation process.

Windows
>click on exe installer
>browser asks "Do you want to run or save this file?"
>click "run"
>UAC asks "Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer?"
>give password
>click OK
>program asks "Do you want to install this program?"
>click yes

GNU/Linux
>click "apt:" link in browser
>package manager asks "Do you want to install this app?"
>give password
>click yes

This.

You're trying to save a man in Kansas from drowning in the ocean when he's being beaten on with a stick. Spend your time doing something else.

fine lets see its a been a year or two but...wireless drivers. specifically for a d-link NIC. ndiswrapper (i may have gotten this wrong) i believe it was the forums attempted to walk me through...hellish experiance.

it NEVER got installed. i wanna say this was 2013 (old guy, like i said i was around for DOS and windows 3x) and i actually had to buy a new part to use mint at the time because despite the assurances that the part was "completely compatable" there was no getting this thing to work. and i was pretty determined to use linux at the time.

yes of course the command line was heavily utilized.

and the "wrapper' program was of course not availiable in the software center.

there you have a simple example...need more?

More please. Wifi just works for me for the past 10 years.

>2016
>still complaining about wireless drivers
This is a problem that has mainly been solved.

This is generally the experience with any hardware not over a decade old.
Linux has better wireless support than Windows.

dude....you seriously do not understand normie behavior if you believe that. There are alot of broke asses who will buy off the shelf crap and just upgrade the piss out of it until it suits thier needs. yes normies do this, ALOT actually.

normies are not afraid of installing ram and a gpu. typically anyway But this is not the 90's anymore. the thought of putting a new part in your computer no longer strikes the general masses as a mystical action.

freedom. you used that word but im frankly certain you do not know what the hell it means. And you never addressed the point you originally critisized. did you need a link to prove that mint has been released in this configuration as i have stated?

>people are willing to take apart their machines and replace a part
>these same people aren't willing to use google to find out what's wrong

even with google getting software/hardware/drivers to work in linux is not a task for normies.

also opening a single sliding door and plugging in a new part is hardly 'taking apart a machine'

But swapping out parts is? Come on, OP. Stop wasting your time.

>normies are not afraid of installing ram and a gpu. typically anyway But this is not the 90's anymore. the thought of putting a new part in your computer no longer strikes the general masses as a mystical action.
Wow, these people just magically know which parts are suitable for their current computer! They certainly needed ZERO training to find out what's good for them and what's not! These very same people are completely mystified when confronted by a black screen, white text and a blinking cursor! Oh the horror!

what kind of scary black magic do you think putting in a stick of ram or a wireless card entails?

yes they know what parts to get....its fucking standardized for the most part.

look ive spent the better part of an hour trying to explain whats going on here...and ive not had a single conversation. Is intelligent discussion on Sup Forums really this awful?

also im not OP. this merely seemed a good place to discuss linux and its usability issues with a crowd of interested people.

Slackware. If you can't figure out how to use it you deserve for windows to be eating up 50% of your cpu at idle, you fucking pleb.

Point to what brand of RAM doesn't work completely out of the box.

what the hell are you even talking about?

>Wow, these people just magically know which parts are suitable for their current computer! They certainly needed ZERO training to find out what's good for them and what's not!
Hardware enthusiasts. Don't even get me started on how pointless their existence (or opinion) is.

It doesn't take black magic to install a stick of RAM. It takes Google magic to find out that the hardware piece you're looking at is compatible with your machine. Apparently, these very same people cannot conquer the dark art of the dark command screen. Clearly, this is the fault of Linux.

you guys arent actually interested in having a sincere discussion are you?

>what kind of scary black magic do you think putting in a stick of ram entails?
If your argument is that you need to scour for drivers after installing new hardware, point to hardware that has this actual problem.

in all honesty yes one is waaaayyyyyy more difficult than the other.

put it this way my wife can build a pc but if all she had was the command line shed never touch the damned thing.

Sorry, just because you don't like the answers to your questions doesn't mean they're invalid.

I found utility in Linux not available on Windows.
That's why I use it.
ZFS is great I can load my shit on it for a 1.85x dedup ratio and checksums/ parity on everything.
It runs VMs very well with passthrough, and has wrappers for Windows functionality to get you started and ease in.

You will kill your OS multiple times until you get it down.
Keep a text file to store useful commands and CLI/ GUI programs you like.
Use it to write a script that tailors a fresh install to just what you need down the road.

Find a use for it or just stick to Windows if it suits your needs.

and i used as examples of hardware people would commonly upgrade RAM GPU and NIC...and you chose ram to bitch about? are you fucking dense?

like seriously did i actually fucking lose you with this discussion?

>RAM
No issues.
>GPU
Download the drivers from the manufacturer's website, same as in Windows.
>NIC
If you're adding one of these, it was probably made in the past 10 years and therefore supported.

found the troll
and thats a great thing sir. and i have admitted the usefullness of linux for the hobbyist and IT professional. however this sort of thing interesting and functional though it may be is not going to be something a average user can put into practice.

my point was simply that linux is not useable for most people. And to be honestit doesn't have much reason not to be.

however i do personally thank you for being a reasonable person

I installed Lubuntu on my normie mother in law's laptop because she kept falling for spyware/adware tricks every 2-3 months.
After a little bit of training (LXDE looks pretty similar to Windows 9X so she didn't need much) she's not called me since, no viruses, no bullshit.
She gets her day to day computing done and I don't get my time wasted by her continually breaking the thing.
Linux is ready for normies. Normies just don't realise they have any other choice than OSX or Windows.

if it were that easy it would never have come up.

Tell me specifically what your problem is. What recent wireless card doesn't work out of the box? What GPU doesn't have drivers available on the website?

if that was the case i'd be using it. like i said before ive tried alot of em (cant say ALL with the sheer vastness of distos out there) and if I could get away from windows I would.

I can tell you the following though if it helps. I have been doing this for awhile, back when the A+ cert meant being able to get a job. I even have preferences in distros and window managers.

If I could honestly get away from microdick then I would in a heartbeat. and ive lost track of how many times I've tried. Hell i used to have one of those 50 dvd disc holders filled with different distros I went through in vain desperatly trying to get away from windows (or god forbid OSX).

Point is im no newb here and I can't do it. And im telling you guys why. Not because i dislike linux but because I desire its success. Windows sux. I do not wish to endorse it in any way. I really do desire to see linux succeed.

see my post above regarding my wireless card issue. its buried someplace in the mass of shitposting.

What model was the wireless card? Be specific.

ROFLMAO holly shit fuck thanks for the keks

>Linux is ready for normies

Not until Word docs and similar don't work like shit