Actually programmers and non NEETs of Sup Forums give me one good reason why your OS shouldn't be UNIX based

Actually programmers and non NEETs of Sup Forums give me one good reason why your OS shouldn't be UNIX based
>Inb4 vidya

I want a good daw

vidya & daw

-Sent from myBotnet

Real programmers doesn't care about other people's OS. The only thing that matters is the target platform. Rest is just circle jacking and or comparing length of keyboards...

As far as Linux goes:

>bad to non-existent driver support
>bad to non-existent software support
>horrible jungle of config files where a light sneeze can compromise your entire system and leave you gluing back pieces for days
>horrible shared library practices
>scattering filesystem that distributes a single application or library into so many places you need detective-work to locate them

>I want a good daw
You just played the worst card you had
Linux and UNIX based OSes have great DAWs
Search for ardour

>Linux and UNIX based OSes have great DAWs

There are LITERALLY modified versions of Linux kernels to give out the best audio experience. That and there are many powerful softwares too

>There are LITERALLY modified versions of Linux kernels to give out the best audio experience
I'll have what he's having

Any actual programmer uses a Mac. If they need to build on a consistent basis, they have a separate remote machine (may it be in the "cloud", at home or @ their employer's premises) with a server-grade OS (Debian stable or CentOS).
In 15 years I've yet to see someone using Windows. Even if you really need Windows to test something on the fly, you use Parallels. But you'd better ask yourself what you're doing with your life if you need Windows for dev work.
GNU/Linux is never used in production, except for those above-mentioned build servers

>Any actual programmer uses a Mac.

I'm a developer on the windows platform. In my free time I learn more about my framework so I can do better at work.

I still feel like it's pretty garbage, but my investors pay my bosses for product, and my bosses pay me to develop the product, so as long as the $$$s come in idgaf

Because I don't work at home and my workplace has osx.

> why your OS shouldn't be UNIX based
If you do Windows programming, it's a good reason to stick with Windows.

Devs usually tend to focus on their job, not on the platform. A Mac offers everything you need. They are also very durable and if you ask me, they are worth every single penny.

You should try to land a real dev job sometimes.

Oh right, you need a degree first and for that you need to leave your basement

It's a unsolvable dilemma

>Windows """""""programming"""""""

In addition UNIX is not a good modern OS imo. IPC should be pure tcp/ip. PIDS should be generates urls on localhost. Threads and basic kernel functionality should reserve a core of the cpu for istelf instead of endless context switching, as if we only have one cpu in the system any more.

We need a 2016 rewrite of modern OS's that take full advantage of modern hardware instead of hardware that tries to twist itself into some bastardized form of 1970's paradigms just because of "muh C compatibilty" and "Muh Von Neumann based architecture"

market penetration

> >Windows """""""programming"""""""
Yeahyeahyeah, whatever. If you grow up, you'll stop being so fanatic about OS.
> there's a sysadmin at my work
> 30+, I think
> Ran FreeBSD on company's servers till 2011
> Then jumped to Linux because he tired of rebuilding a world for every new task
> Knows ins and outs, can strace any Linux application if something goes wrong, ip route is his second name
> Uses Windows 7 at his work PC because it just works and there's PuTTY for SSH

Pen and paper master race

If you grow up, you're able to read the first sentence of the posts you're quoting.
Anyway,
>sysadmin
>programmer
pick one and only one.

Have fun compiling pen and paper

>people who don't use Linux

>no drivers meme
Driver support is great, maybe half a decade ago this was the case but I've never had to struggle to get something to work an have more things working out of the box.

>support
Large projects generally have support, and that's one of the reasons to use jewbuntu as you can call canonical for straight support. Otherwise you can get help via forums/mailing lists/irc.

>config file mess
What config file have you changed that made your system unusable? Config files are much better organised on unix based operating systems as theyre either in the home directory of the user or globally in /etc vs winderps where you have to go into program files and find an obscure ini file, appdata, or worse the registry.

>shared library
Because windows is any better? Having six copies of d3d9.dll scattered around my system is cool not to mention the lack of proper package management is in infuriating especially when video drivers bug out because the uninstaller forgot to remove a couple dlls and you have to download some tool someone made to clean it up before you reinstall the newer driver.

>scattering of programs too hard to locate
This is really where your dumb win babby logic shines you can have the package manager list the files for a package. Plus you have common tools like locate find and grep for anything specific unlike windows garbage search.

this

Mac is Unix based.

>Unix based
Actually it's the only one "UNIX certified". Not that the certification is so important anyway

I use Windows at work but for personal programming I use a Mac

Because there is no reason not too, just like there is not reason not to use a Unix-like at home.

Just use whatever you like in your free time, it's not a hard concept.

>>bad to non-existent driver support

LIterally all of my hardware has been supported out of box, on multiple distros and numerous laptops.
>>bad to non-existent software support

Huh? There's more and better software for Gnu/Linux than Windows. And for anything else I can use WINE or a windows vm if i absolutely need it
>>horrible jungle of config files where a light sneeze can compromise your entire system and leave you gluing back pieces for days

That is not true though.

The "jungle" of config files is very intuitively placed, such that I know that ~/.Config holds my config files, and that ~/.cache holds my cache files for various programs. So if i want to for example get a fresh install of some software, I just need to do rm -f ~/.conf/[name] ~/.cache/[name]. FURTHER I know that the files associated with a program are located there, and only there. Once I delete them I have no problems or leftover files.

As opposed to Windows, where I need to traverse through a bunch of shit, random logs, files, empty folders, et cetera located in random areas.

>>scattering filesystem that distributes a single application or library into so many places you need detective-work to locate them

That is completely incorrect. Once you realize how intuitive it is you realize that it's all standardized and very easy to find what you need.

Isn't the only OS classed as even being UNIX based the Mac range? Like, I could be very incorrect but i'm sure Linux is simply a "UNIX-like", and would not fall under this category.

>Mac
>durable
Drop a MacBook and it'll dent and possibly deform.

You're obviously biased so replying to you is stupid but what the heck.

>Driver support is great, maybe half a decade ago this was the case but I've never had to struggle to get something to work an have more things working out of the box.
Try this argument with game developers. Or audio engineers.

>support
I meant it in terms of available software. If you work in the field where graphic design is involved, and you can't run Photoshop, then that's a major issue. You can't persuade an entire team of designers to start using GIMP instead. It just doesn't work this way.

>What config file have you changed that made your system unusable? Config files are much better organised on unix based operating systems as theyre either in the home directory of the user or globally in /etc vs winderps where you have to go into program files and find an obscure ini file, appdata, or worse the registry.
Except in Windows, you don't deal with ini files, appdata and registry on a regular basis and when you do, it's usually a workaround. In Linux, it's THE workflow.

>This is really where your dumb win babby logic shines you can have the package manager list the files for a package. Plus you have common tools like locate find and grep for anything specific unlike windows garbage search.
Just the fact that there are tools that locate application's files available should demonstrate my point clearly.

>The "jungle" of config files is very intuitively placed
Nice Stockholm syndrome

Drivers

But it is.

It's not a jungle of config files where a "light sneeze" messes anything up.

It's actually incredibly comfy and easy to use.

If I want to have an IDENTICAL setup on my other machine, ALL i need to do is copy over my config and dot files. And i have the exact same setup on any machine.

Whereas with windows I'm not even sure that's possible, and if it is likely much more complicated.

My OS is Unix based though. Working with Vulkan in SteamOS and Ubuntu 16.04

windows 10 has bash :3

>I purchase laptops for the purpose of dropping them
Cupertino's laptop are notorious for their resistance. They can "dent" if you drop them from the 10th floor, and still they'll work. Also, they never have issues like

>Not advising your boss to dish Windows that just robs your company of unnecessary costs/performance

Win Sql servers are still good for massive data storage though.

Your argument for support boils down to
>my xbox plays games that aren't available for pc therefore its better

This becomes more irrelevant everyday as most newer software is cross platform.

Which game devs have a hard time with linux?

Most audio professionals use a mac, and hardcore audio can use a low latency linux audio kernel and plenty of audio creation tools are available. You can even get it presetup like kxstudio or avlinux.

For normal desktop usage you never have to touch config files or even a damn terminal emulator. For package management there are plenty of guis going around that are just as easy as using google play store.

The only applications you need to edit config files for are terminal applications/server software.

Usually you do have to deal with the registry and ini files because anything you want to do on windows IS A WORKAROUND.

Good job completely avoiding my argument about finding installed files. On windows you'll be lucky if the installer generates a log file and that won't change when the program self updates.

TFW when you work for a startup that uses windows for servers

I'll give you most of those. I still prefer Windows for development personally.

> paying for license
> ruins startups money
> server crashes every hour
top jej

Captcha: (fr.) RUE ESPACE (engl. Space road)