BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org - freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers.

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=securelevel&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE and Ports&arch=default&format=html
my.mixtape.moe/ftncdr.zip
cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/arch/amd64/conf/GENERIC?rev=1.418&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tried PCBSD on my x220 and it idled at 10C higher temperature than on linux, also battery life was kinda crappy. Even tweaking lots of sysctls didn't help

Would it be better with openbsd?

Only one way to find out.

The devs do run it on their thinkpads, I hope you don't have a nvidia GPU though.

Are any of the BSDs actually useable day to day? I mean, like, I'm a programmer and I love tinkering with OS', but I do also need an office suite and working audio and shit.

It's about the same as Linux.

You either use Libreoffice or LaTeX.

nope, just the integrated jewtel one

It should run fine, then.

Make sure to read the FAQ to know how to set up your wi-fi.

Oh, and OpenBSD also has a power managing daemon called apm, read up on that in the manpages.

Yes, you get the usual office stuff. I'm told OpenBSD has a very good Poettering-free audio stack (can't be more definitive cuz audio isn't something I care about). I think some of the devs work in the music biz, you occasionally see posts on the lists where OpenBSD is running the sound and effects for some concert somewhere.

I've been running Linux boxes for a while now.

Now is my first foray into the BSD world with FreeBSD on Raspberry Pi 2.

Any essential things to do after a fresh install?

Is it suitable to raise security_level to 1 for an internet facing device?

I want to secure it as I will mainly use it for a tiny CalDav server open to the internet

freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=securelevel&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE and Ports&arch=default&format=html
This manpage has a pretty good description of general security steps, there's even a section on securelevels. The securelevels here a bit more granular than OpenBSD's.

If you're wondering what immutable and append-only flags are, FreeBSD and OpenBSD allow you to make files immutable and append-only at the filesystem level. The only way you could change them is by booting into single user mode.

I actually read that last night, just need to interpret it to practice.

How about basic things like upgrading and installing packages? (apt-get, dnf,... etc)

That's also described in the handbook. You'll either want to use pkgng (binary packages like any other linux distro) or ports, which is pretty much an automated way of compiling everything without having to worry about dependencies.

Guess I might give it a try

Thanks for the tip

sweet... okay I'll read the handbook just now. lots to go through before opening ports

do you have any general advice for a sysadminning a bsd box?

I'm not a professional sysadmin, unfortunately, so i'd rather not spread bad information or something

though if you want my advice, i wouldnt use ports on a raspberry pi, you'll have time to rot away while the programs compile on that slow ARM processor

Never forget that it's not a Linux distro. All linux distros resemble each other far more than any of them resemble a BSD. Linux has about as much in common with BSD as Windows running Cygwin.

What's that gorgeous font I'm looking at there?

Maax Mono Regular 10

Any key differences other than where they play their os files?

so binary is the way to go... but still I only want a taskwarrior server, i dont mind if I have to compile it

>Maax Mono Regular 10

Thanks, it's a pretty cool font but
>230,99 €
Jesus Christ

As much as Sup Forums has given me, I will give in return

heres the entire mono family

my.mixtape.moe/ftncdr.zip

>Any key differences other than where they play their os files?
There are. One of the most important things you should know is that the file names in /dev are never generic. /dev files are named after the drivers they use.

>PC-BSD

Discovered the problem.

what are the wifi drivers in bsd
I know standard for Linux is iwlwifi
does bad have a standard too

also, does bsd have a make menuconfig so that I can disable and enable drivers?

and which bsd should I possibly use first
I assume they have package managers, so, does any of your bsds have nodm in their package managers

Shit. T-Thanks senpai.

You think it would be any different with plain freebsd?

Don't use FreeBSD as a desktop OS, use OpenBSD

noted

any time dear user

So why isn't BSD like GNU/Linux yet? More people and more support? The idea is much better.

Thank you kind sire

>what are the wifi drivers in bsd
Look up the "pci" manpage of every BSD, I believe that has some info for you.
>does bsd have a make menuconfig so that I can disable and enable drivers?
Not really, but it's not super hard to do by hand either. Here's the AMD64 config, for example:
cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/arch/amd64/conf/GENERIC?rev=1.418&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
So I think all you'd need to do is comment out the lines you don't need, I wouldn't try it because the OpenBSD team will hate you for doing it and won't help you. It voids your "warranty".
>and which bsd should I possibly use first
FreeBSD or OpenBSD.
>I assume they have package managers, so, does any of your bsds have nodm in their package managers
They do but I can't seem to find any nodm in there. Rest assured that if it's open source and popular, it WILL be ported.

thanks, I'll try one of them out

I think there's a few different factors but two big ones that are commonly mentioned:

The AT&T lawsuit in the 90s may have chased OSS devs away and GNU and Linux picked many of them up.

The GPL license. Small time devs have a strong license to keep their code from being locked down and large companies benefit from the development of other large companies. The license forces many different entities including companies that are normally competitors to collaborate toward a common goal of making a decent OS.

There's not really much money in making and maintaining an OS in the first place so large companies love GNU/Linux and the BSDs and other free systems which basically outsource all of that stuff.

if people actually used it then everybody in this thread would drop it instantly

Been using BSD since 1984, popularity has nothing to do with it.

I started using OpenBSD because it has better hardware support for my laptop than Windows or Linux does.

What laptop do you have?

Latitude XT2. On Windows the GPU driver was buggy as hell, on Linux there was support for the touchscreen but not the pen digitizer, on OpenBSD I've yet to encounter an issue and it's been two or three years.

I run OpenBSD but not for 'security', but because I needed the most reliable system out there with the best documentation for remote software development. Never once had a problem, clean restarts everytime, clean updates, never a segfault or freezing or undefined behavior. I can concentrate on my work instead of dicking around with an operating system

>don't use FreeBSD on desktop
>use OpenBSD

Why?

I've actually had this weird freezing issue caused by some X11 applications.
For example, in fvwm, start a xcalc from the little menu instead of from a xterm, resize the xcalc to be larger, then button mash the left mouse button on an xcalc button.
Sometimes it freezes your entire X11.

OpenBSD devs actually dogfood it, FreeBSD devs use OS X.

>FreeBSD devs use OS X

[citation need] and nice meme.

What meme?

It's seriously not a meme, go look up some FreeBSD related presentations.

The entire point of FreeBSD is to be a server OS, hence its slogan "The Power to Serve"