Specs aside, both have pretty much the same performance on average

GTX970
>starting at 270€
>240W under load*

R9 390
>Starting at 300€
>400W under load*

*whole system according to computerbase

Is AMD even wondering why the 970 sold like hot cakes and they only have a market share of 20%?

Why didn't they make the price of the 390 cheaper to compete against the 970? Only diahard amd fans would prefer the 390 over the 970.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8lTGk0R12gs
computerbase.de/2015-06/amd-radeon-r9-390x-390-380-r7-370-test/3/#abschnitt_leistungsaufnahme
geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-1070
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcF36_qMd8M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>3.5 GiB vs 8 GiB
The R9 390 is far better value.

Yeah, the specs are better. But that still doesn't make the card faster. And what we care about in the end is the performance and not how many thisnthat the card has.

Most people don't live in Germoney where electricty prices are 20x inflated to pay for Ahmed and Mahmoud's refugee benefits and therefore don't give a fuck about power draw

Tfw a store near me are selling 390 and 390x for 480 eur and 970 for 390 eur

This

What about heat and cooling?
I think we all don't like having a jet engine in our PCs... and then it's even cheaper. You getting the same performance and still better power consumption and noise levels. Also faster driver updates.

There is no reason to prefer a 390 besides
>more ram
>maybe because it's a little more moral to buy amd than nvidia?

which doesn't really give you any real-life advantage.

The 390 is about to be replaced with far more efficient Polaris cards anyways

With all my Skyrim mods, it matters.

No it doesn't, you moron. If you get to the point where you're using more than 4gb vram on a 390 you're going to be getting

well now you're just begging to be called a pleb. take your logitech speakers and put them in the trash where they belong. now give your pc to someone who deserves to live and tell them to buy headphones like any decent human being would.
after all that is done you can finally kill yourself. godspeed.

Even with crossfire?

>crossfire
>sli
>multi-gpu
>ever

Don't talk to me about worthless bullshit.

>AMD

kek. completely wrong. I used to have the 970 which was quiet as fucking fuck. Now I have an AMD card and it's loud as fuck even though it has HIS superduper IceQ cooler which is twice as big as what my 970 had.

And I have DT-990s as headphones.

>And I have DT-990s as headphones.
>open headphones

lord jesus help this poor soul for he does not know what he's doing.

Source on the load part

>headphones
lmao

>not using 7.1 surround sound for ultimate immersion

yeah, help me for not wanting warm ears after 30min.

computerbase.de/2015-06/amd-radeon-r9-390x-390-380-r7-370-test/3/#abschnitt_leistungsaufnahme

>open back headphones
>HIS card
>judging a card's performance by their cooler
you're an idiot and you should compare cards with same coolers (TwinFrozr 970 and 390)

Weird, why haven't my system died everytime I play games? I have a weak 500W psu along with a FX8350(oc to 4.7GHz) and R9 390

AMDrones BTFO

The HIS card has the objectively better cooler and it was still louder. Is that so hard to understand for you?

Probably running on the edge. Your power consumption should be around 450W under full load.

Well it serves me well, so I like it. Got my whole setup during sales, so can't complain about prices atm, just found it weird that it would consume so much power when my psu is so weak.

It's fine. After all it's specified for up to 500W. If you overclock your graphics card as well and increase the power limit you will probably get problems though.

here, depends of the fan my man
my 580 has bigger cooler than my 780ti, yet the fan is much quieter at same percentage (30%) on the latter.

Well the games I play aren't so demanding and I never felt the need to overclock the GPU, only did for the CPU to keep it more on tiptop when playing games for long periods without suffering from hiccups.

The 390 consumes 275W under full load.

Yeah, I wouldnt overclock anymore. Maybe even try to optimize voltage on the CPU, if you haven't already when you were oc'ing. Also make sure your PS gets enough air.

>whole system

I am running at a good voltage on the CPU, also it never gets past 55c in load(which is if I let it benchmark for hours), GPU never exceeds 80c during benchmarks and if I set fans to 80-100% during benchmarks then it stays at 75c). But overall in gaming scenarios it's often around 60-70c.

geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-1070

The 390 will probably be a better long term investment since games are moving towards more VRAM usage and DX12.

What is DX12?

the 390 is more powerful and amd has a 30% marketshare

There are other reasons why Nvidia outsold AMD tenfold last gen.

Nvidia is better for work and streaming/recording. That means popular people which move the opinion of the masses mostly use Nvidia cards.

I don't think there's a single streamer, professional gamer, or graphics professional that would tell you to buy an AMD over an Nvidia.
It is what it is. AMD is the card for poor niggers and russians that only use their PCs for gayman pirated games.

Nvidia is simply an amazing company delivering outstanding products. Constantly advancing technology further and further. Therefore you can rest assured that I will buy an Nvidia gpu this and every generation henceforth. I might even buy two because this tremendously astounding company deserves it.

nVidia is green just like Razer. Most people think they're the same thing. Ask streamers what GPU they have and they will say they have a Razer GTX 980 Ti. Heck they even think nVidia, Razer and Intel are all the same company.

Most streamers know exactly why they get an Nvidia card. It has Shadowplay.
And I know why I've been using an Nvidia card since 2009 it has CUDA and pretty much every piece of professional software I use can benefit from that. Heck a lot of professional applications I was using didn't even have an OpenCL/GL mode until recently. Not that it matters, Nvidia works better than AMD in OpenGL/CL as well.

>his applications don't have multi-gpu support

Holy shit fuck off shills, the 390 is much better value in every way except power consumption. It's also cheaper so I don't know where you got those "starting" prices.

>Is AMD even wondering why the 970 sold like hot cakes and they only have a market share of 20%?
>Why didn't they make the price of the 390 cheaper to compete against the 970? Only diahard amd fans would prefer the 390 over the 970.

You only get longevity with AMD. You get lies and deceit with Nvidia.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZcF36_qMd8M

>much better value

>same performance
>uses way more power
>costs more
>better value

yeeeeeaah right.

Becnhmarks show another story.
The cards are identical in performance.
And in most parts of the world the 390 is not cheaper.

It's ironic that it's more expensive in the places where it traditionally it would have been better accepted like Asia and Europe. AMD basically are trying to kill their own company at this point.

too bad nvidia is a shit company that doesnt support free software

>both have pretty much the same performance on average
Not with OpenGL or cpu overhead, where Nvidia leads by huge margin. Actually, 750TI have better overall 3D OpenGL performance than R9 390 (no matter which driver, in-kernel+xfree or catalyst).

>shadowplay
OBS is free and better

OBS has NVENC support as well.

I decided to go with the 390 because freesync monitors are much more reasonably priced than gsync ones, more than made up for the difference in price, heat, etc. Also concerned with how the card will age. The 760 shouldn't perform as poorly as it does.

>the 390 is much better value in every way except power consumption

You're just wrong, sorry to break it to you.

Notice that even though I will post some evidence here to show the cards run pretty much neck a neck (even though the 970 wins more often here than the 390 does) you will still go into the stereotypical kneejerk reaction "HURR those benchmarks are cherrypicked hurrr"

Amdrones really have convinced themselves the 390 performs better than a 970 when it just doesn't, ofcourse you can find benchmarks in which it does, just like you can find benchmarks the other way around.

The fact is that the 970 performs on par with the 390 while the 390:

- Has more than twice the vram
- has a much wider memory buss
- has more transistors
-is a bigger die
- has almost a 1000 more shader units
-while consuming SHITLOADS more power than the 970

All this is a testament of how far ahead Maxwell really is to GCN right now. Basically cards who are vastly inferior on paper are able to keep up and beat much more powerful ones at a significantly lower power draw.

If you'd knew anything about technology you would not deny this

I'm sure they're not exactly the same quality but in general, freesync is cheaper.

>In some countries, the 390 is cheaper than the 970.
>The 390 is faster than the 970 in most games, Even in gimpwork games, the 390 becomes faster than the 970 after a couple weeks. (Fallout 4 for example)
>3.5gb of vRAM vs 8 GB of vRAM. The vRAM on the 390 is even faster than the 1080. + 8 GB is a little over kill for one 390, at least it doesn't face massive stuttering when it reaches 3.4 gb of vRAM usage.
>The 390 on average only uses about 75 watts more than the 970.
>The after coolers on the 390, such as Sapphire, Powercolor keeps the card below 70c, and runs pretty quiet, while most of Nvidas cards run around 75-80c.
>399 actually has hardware support for DX12, and Nvidia still doesn't on the 1000 series.
>Drivers between both companies are shit, but AMD has better support over the years, while Nvida just fucks everything up.

Seriously, Nvidia shills, give up. The 970 is a pile of shit, even if priced cheaper. The 1000 series is also a snoozefest.

>ЛOC
>comparing with Acer Predator
Furu retardo.

>>In some countries, the 390 is cheaper than the 970.
In pretty much no country safe for murilardstan.

>>The 390 is faster than the 970 in most games, Even in gimpwork games, the 390 becomes faster than the 970 after a couple weeks. (Fallout 4 for example)
The performance is completely equal. Which brings us to:

.5gb of vRAM vs 8 GB of vRAM. The vRAM on the 390 is even faster than the 1080. + 8 GB is a little over kill for one 390, at least it doesn't face massive stuttering when it reaches 3.4 gb of vRAM usage.
Doesn't matter in a card aimed at 1080p gaming. You'll only ever reach 4Gbs of vram usage in synthetic benches. And AMD is known for stuttery framerates so I very much doubt you're safe from that.

>>The 390 on average only uses about 75 watts more than the 970.
Yeah. Only 75 W less huh? So basically an extra lightbulb. In 2 years I can save enough money for a new card just from that.

>>The after coolers on the 390, such as Sapphire, Powercolor keeps the card below 70c, and runs pretty quiet, while most of Nvidas cards run around 75-80c.
actually has hardware support for DX12, and Nvidia still doesn't on the 1000 series.
Yeah and that's why the 1080 murders the more expensive in DX12. It even murders it in Asynch compute enabled games.

>>Drivers between both companies are shit, but AMD has better support over the years, while Nvida just fucks everything up.
Completely and utterly wrong and a lie.
AMD has always had shit drivers.
And that's just their drivers aimed at games. They don't have any drivers aimed at the pro market, their FirePro cards are a fucking joke. They have shit OpenGL support and from all indications from how they got murdered in the Doom Vulkan benches they'll have shit drivers for Vulkan as well.

MADshills.

B8. Anyway, they're both TN panels. As long as it doesn't have any dead pixels(amazon would refund you even if it didn't have any) whats the difference aside from the shape of the plastic they put the panel in? Is that difference worth $187?

you can stop shilling now panjeet we don't pay on sundays

>GTX970
>starting at 270€
more like €370

>R9 390
>Starting at 300€
more like €380

I don't know where you live but if you actually live in Europe you know it's expensive as fuck

Another shoah.
Even on engines that fly the AMD logo.
Oy gevalt.

>No Fury X on the list
Why?

What would be the point?
It's much more expensive than the 980ti.
And withe 1080 out now who cares.

Can't wait for the MADshill tear tomorrow.

>Much more expensive than the 980ti
Only in third world countries, perhaps.

Oh, and for the record, even turning on mail-in rebates doesn't change the price of any of those 980ti's.
Still £499 as the lowest.

>le ebic meme response
The typical response when AMDrones are confronted with evidence

Germany
Prices from today

No, the performance is not equal, the 390 outperforms the 970 75-80% of the time. Please look at your sources.

The 390, and 970 are aimed also at 1440p gaming. Most titles stay above 60fps, and even at 1080p, some games go over 3.4 GB of vRAM, and even more at 1440p. Of course, both the 290, and 390 outperform the 970 even more, due to stronger hardware, and better memory.

What type of power bills does your third world have? If a lightbulb is on allllllll day, is about 3-6 cents, but a GPU isn't on max load all day, so by the end of the year, it's $10-20 more for a neet, max.

The a sync is still based off of software, therefore, more work for the CPU, there's no denying that the 1080 is more powerful still, but it's a bit of a disappointment still. It lacks the hardware, so they can show an improvement for the next series of cards to keep sheep buying every generation.

And Nvidia has shit drivers too, look around at Nvidia, not just AMD problems, Nvidia had/has issues with Windows 10, normal blue screens, or just drives that destroy the hardware, take a look at the laptop displays Nvidia drivers destroyed.

I guess you're too much of a fan boy to actually see the facts. You should probably be more unbiased.

>The 390, and 970 are aimed also at 1440p gaming
yet I can't achieve stable 144FPS on my R9 390 on my 1080p monitor
feels like I need the GTX 1080 or Vega for this

>No, the performance is not equal, the 390 outperforms the 970 75-80% of the time
>look at your sources
>provides no sources himself

Typical lying AMDrone in denial

>buying AMD cards

What? I paid 310€ for my 390 pcs+ a year ago from some german website

well this is easter europe
the prices here are bullshit

>Can't meet a non mainstream target. So, 60+ FPS is unplayable for everyone?

I'm not going to dig out sources, just to say it's cherry picked, go use Google, and look up benches from non paid shills, or non gimped benchmarks.

Wow, funny. How does one find this?

You're a fool . I'll let you be that .

THere is more to a card than its speed. And the 390 has FULL SPEED at >3.5 gigs.

What more do you need for measuring speed?