You are now in charge of making cpu installation foolproof. How would you do it?

You are now in charge of making cpu installation foolproof. How would you do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_1
neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/aopenax4btube/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-board_computer
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>remove fools
>????
>profit

no installation is foolproof
I would pre-install it tho
but faggots would still destroy it while thermal pasting n shit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_1

Solder it to the motherboard in the factory.

Have three options

Gaming Motherboard
Office Motherboard
Budget Motherboard

This. Selling mobos preinstalled with a CPU is just about the only thing i can think of. I don't think you'll be able to use this idea to get rich though. Sorry user.

>no enthusiast motherboards

>no sport motherboards
>no ultra special extreme gaaaaaaaameeee MLG pro
>no Music love motherboard
>no Imotherbooord from Apple TM INC ORG NET

Fun fact: I fucked up my first CPU installation and it was an AMD CPU... bent all the needles, broke the thing off that literally just allows you to snap it in... I don't even recall how I fucked it up so bad. I believe it had something to do with me watching a youtube clip of someone installing an intel CPU.

Sad day, money down the drain.

enthusiasts are actually thing unlike the meme shit you're trying to pull.

Yeah, I don't think those are profitable as well. So many unused motherboard+cpu combinations will be junked

Why don't we have more of this?

cpu applicator that comes attached to cpu, a plastic device with detailed instructions that basically tell you to
1) line it up with big fucking arrows
2) place pins in motherboard heatsink screw hoes
3) press down
4) press button to release cpu from applicator

tada, cpu in motherboard
even better, it would have thermal paste already applied
when its in the motherboard the button would be pressed to detach the cpu and paste from the applicator
then you can just stick a heatsink on it and be done
hands wouldnt even have to touch the cpu or mobo

Implying your opinion on this matter matters to matter .

get back to /v gaymer

>Cover the top of the Cpu with some plastic closing that you can grab on,
>put on motherboard a 1 cm tunnel the shape of Cpu
>drop the Cpu there
>the CPU top plasticcover acts as closing top panel.
Literally 10 second idea.

It kind of is already. You put the CPU in the socket, put a drop of thermal paste on top of it and mount the cooler. Hell, even if you completely forget the thermal paste your PC won't exactly explode. Everything is already dumbed down for the stupid impressionable kids whose parents buy the crap. All you need are working fingers and the ability to operate a screwdriver.

neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/aopenax4btube/

Meme you say?

>comparing enthusiasts with geymers
did i poke a hole in your little meme-bubble?

there's no need for improved audio on the motherboard because there are audio cards.

CPUs are already idiot proof. The wafer is notched so you can only put it in one way: the way that works.

>Why don't we have more of this?

Because there's not much of a market in helping people put the square peg into the square hole. Most of us know not to try and use the round peg.

The mobo I just bought,asus z170a, came with one of these. It was terrible. The CPU didn't want to stay in and after popping it in (the directions literally say "push until it clicks") the CPU still fell out onto the socket as I was positioning it. I nearly shat my pants. I tried not using it but the socket didn't seem to accept it sans the bullshit plastic guide thing. By the time I was done both sides of the CPU were covering in fingerprints.

>Inb4 retard sounds like you're just too stupid to assemble a pc

I have assembled quite a few and have NEVER had an issue with seating a CPU until this bullshit.

When will the pins bend? During clamping an incorrectly seated processor or when placing the cpu the wrong way?

Put a manual in the box with it and state that the warranty dose not cover physical damages to the CPU and Motherboard and that the company cant be held responsible for any damages caused by misuse.
Never give it a second thought for the rest of my life.

Really things don't NEED to be foolproof, I just have to make sure I cant be held accountable

Impossible.

As soon as you produce an idiot-proof product, nature will simply produce more robust idiots.

All CPUs now have to be connected through USB.

Two words: Wireless CPU

Working as a code monkey, every bit of the application should be fool proof and shouldn't even allow an invalid operation, because users are idiots, or so I've been taught. I think this can be applicable with hardware as well; an improperly seated cpu should not be allowed to be clamped down.

two words: bandwidth latency

Does the plastic cover come off once you install the cpu?

Have it installed like a game cartridge, people seem to be able to do that without fucking everything up most of the time.

LiFi CPU's when?

Quoting me, is this more common than I think or am I just a retard? Had no problem with the cooling fan.

What about a CPU that slides in like those Cable cards.

The CPU comes with a C4 charge. If you fail to install it correctly it will detonate. No idiot will live to tell he fail installing it.

Not necessary,and doesnt have to be plastic,maybe other material better at cooling.
The idea is to have the mounting point on the motherboard a tunell at least 1 cm long.

Magnetize the CPU's. No pins. Then Pins can't bend. Also, one side of the CPU is neon orange so you know where to face up (Arrow in corner is too difficult for autists)

Falling for the audio card scheme, holy shit.

Take the pins off the CPU, make it a pressure contact to the mobo.

>lelfi would solve any of these
but hold on, instead of using lga we could use a fiber optic array. transceiver on the prebuilt cpu block and receivers on the mobo. just make sure they are aligned with some simplest form of clamping and we're good to go.

>ya gotta blow on it first Steve!
>saliva shorts two connectors
>turns on new pc
>magic smoke comes out

/thread

>doesnt know about onboard interference
holy shit

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_1
This tbf, one of the only slots a retard would probably not fuck up. Unless they tried installing it into a PCI slot...

>even better, it would have thermal paste already applied

But muh Arctic Silver

good luck adding a heatsink without bending it to fuck

overrated

old school is best school
see

>overrated

B-but it's got FOUR different shapes of micronized silver

The only hard thing is applying thermal paste, you either put to much or to little. And removing it can be hard

the only thing that sucks about this is that modern CPUs are so power hungry and housefirey that you would only be able to do this to mobile-tier shit without having to use liquid cooling

no it's not. a small pear or large grain of rice is not a fucking hard size to estimate.

Why don't CPUs use PCI-E ports any ways? Is it just that the CPU needs to be close to the RAM or is the whole gorillion pins concept simply requires because of reasons?

solder it to the motherboard along with all of the other components

The PCIE lanes are on the CPU.

Cleaning it off can be a bitch

Isn't that what prebuilts are? :^)

only if you're a retarded faggot.

so equip the cartridges with spring-autoclose plastic covers, like there was on VHS

Intel CPUs and coolers even come with preapplied thermal paste. It's rubbish but good enough for an i3 and relatively foolproof. Not sure how you could make it simpler.

What is the most foolproof way

PCI-e is a slower bus compared to the FSB of a CPU if im not mistaken

we had something like that it was called "slot 1" it was great but only for the time when you didnt had a giant cooler hanging on it

>look mom I posted without reading the thread again

>a small pear
Hello, MSI.

Just as a sanity check to point out the retardation of this idea: The CPU has to host 40 PCI-e lanes. Are you saying you would host 40 PCI-e lanes using the 16 lanes of a single slot? That's not even counting the interface to the RAM...

>remove pins from CPU
>make a ball grid array socket on the motherboard
>CPU slides in from the top, touching the ball pins is harmless
>screwing the socket down puts the pressure on the ball grid, keeping it from shifting
>CPU is spring loaded so removal is easy as unscrewing

Was that so fucking hard intel? You literally have these tester type sockets in the fab house, I should know, I work there. You think by 20 fucking 16 they would find a way to get rid of bendable physical pins.

I have the same motherboard and the plastic bracket worked flawlessly for me, very easy.

Don't know where you were faulty, bro.

I suspect if Desktop PCs weren't growing more and more irrelevant, that would be the next step. Instead of having multiple different ports for different things, everything can be put into one multi-purpose slot. Pic related mainboard in the back and RAM, CPU and GPU go in orthogonally. The air can be provided like the arrow shows by a single fan. It's actually a lot like the mac pro, just with a little more accessibility.

That is why in the new versions we build we do something clever, like mounting screws that are hollow so coolant can flow through it from piping built into the motherboard which also acts as a sizable heat spreader.

Bonus points if both sides of the motherboard are uses to better separate components and add more cooling fins.

Honesty I could go on, but at some point it we have to start deciding between modular vs monolithic designs.

Still having a main board and 4 slot types for CPU, GPU, RAM and Other would be simple enough and be a sensible middle ground.

But really those slots should be designed by bandwidth and latency, not application, to give more options. Like how CPU and GPU are both PU but have diverged in many major traits to the point they are different.

You could have just not used it. It's purely optional. I have a Maximus VIII Hero Alpha that came with one and it worked perfectly for me.

I have the same mobo and this was the first computer I ever built and I got getting the CPU in correctly right on my first try. My only problem was how much I cringed putting the hinge back down due to have it felt traveling.

Literally all you have to do is open the socket, rest the CPU in, and close. How could you fuck that up to the point where shit was falling out?

When I installed my i5 2500k it was pretty fucking fool proof, there aren't any needles to mess up so you just drop the thing in and lock it in place and you're done.

It even comes pre-greased so you just click on the cooler and that's it.

I say just make everything all-in-one. Why do we need our memory, CPU, and motherboard separate at all? In the past, things were different, but today, there's almost no point to removable CPUs anymore since newer processors are very incremental upgrades and require board revisions to make use of new features anyway. The only situation where it would be useful is if you burn out your CPU and the board still works; but even then, most people will use that as an excuse to build a whole new system and the old board will be disregarded. You just new to release several different models, for example:

Weak processor, 8GB ram=Cheapo tier
Average processor, 16GB ram=Average tier
Strong proccessor, 32GB ram=Enthusiast tier
Weak processor, low energy consumption, 32GB ECC ram=Home server tier

>I say just make everything all-in-one

>One thing breaks
>Entire thing is fucked

apple posters please leave

imagine if cars were like this

>oops flat tire
>time to pull out 20,000$ and buy a new car

i mean tire upgrades are very incremental right? people shouldnt be allowed to replace bad ones without buying a new car

But then it's not wireless.

let the mainboard have a soldered processor
attach cpu+ram as a SOC via usb type c / pcie / whatever.
emulate x86 via software.
we do that shit pretty much with graphics cards for bitcoin mining and i hope this happens with ARM for cpus too

take what we learned from cluster server computing and lets put it in box-hardware.
would love to see the linux kernel patches compiler for this, would be fun

If the memory and CPU were built into the board, they could likely afford to make it cheaper than having to make separate parts and developing connection interfaces and so on. I've never had a CPU go on me in all the years that I've had a computer. I've had a couple of memory modules go, but that's usually after they've been in service long past their expected lifetime. Usually if the CPU is going to go, it'll go within the warranty period anyway, or you did something stupid with it like fucking around too much with overclocking.

CPU, memory, and motherboard do not have movable parts like a car, nor do they handle explosive gases or corrosive liquids.

memory is probably the most upgraded/replaced part on a pc you fucker

also iv had a motherboard go bad on me and what a fucking relief it was to replace just that instead of dropping $1000

iv had the same pc for 8 years and its still fine from getting well priced upgrades for it over the years. almost everything has be replaced, including the cpu. i think the case and psu are the only original parts

literally the problem with desktops right now is that they are too good and convenient for customers so they rarely need to buy new ones

The biggest problem is just getting the pins lined up correctly, with the CPU in the right orientation, and being able to place it down flat, without bending of breaking the pins.

> bending/breaking pins
Have the pins on the CPU surrounded by weighted telescopic cylanders (or even just a big rectangular one with holes for the pins), such that if you're holding it, it drops and covers up the pins, protecting them from damage; when you push it down in the right area, this telescopic covering gets pushed up, exposing the pins.

> Orientation
Imagine that you insert the CPU into a slot: I'd just make the CPU slightly rectangular so that it can only fit one way, then put little bits on the edges of one side so that it can't go in that way. By doing this, the CPU can only be inserted into the slot in one direction

> Lined up correctly, placed down flat
Make the slot mounted on a swiveling parallelogram type platform, so taht you just push it over and it lines up exactly with the motherboard platform, which pushes against the telescopic pin cover and allows the CPU pins to make contact.

Will soldered HBA maybe force a reintroduction of a slot 1 type connector or does it all fit on a modern sized CPU?

>we early 90's now

Solder it to the motherboard.

bandwidth

Here you guys go

enforge LGA or better contact pin
Make cpu in a trapezoidal shape
Pre paste every heatsink and ban tubes of laste, if you nisplace it you have to clean with rubbing alcool and get a new heatsink
For no reason at all, anyone should apply anything on the heat spreader, not sticker nor protective films

There are actually computers back then which had CPU, memory and so on on card, and a simple connector board for the other cards
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-board_computer

Okay a GPU is basically a chip on a motherboard that goes in another motherboard, real question is why can't we have motherboards that natively thake graphics chips, installing killer cooling would be simpler too

Because it would cost more for people who didn't need a discrete GPU. You'd have to add the power circuitry, and the VRAM sockets to the motherboard. It would probably double the cost of a motherboard. Besides, do you think that NVIDIA and AMD would ever agree to a standard for GPU sockets?

It is illegal to install your own CPU. Only authorized retailers, re-sellers and professionals are permitted to install the CPU on the motherboard.

Use magnets

Got me there but in retaliation I'll. Say it would look cooler to have two CPU coolers in you case

Host it on the cloud.

Solder it permanently.

Don't let monkeys do it.

>enthusiasts are actually thing
they waste their money on shit they dont need because their parent never taught them impulse control and/or money management.
They fall into the consumeristic bullshit memes and throw away culture that you live in.
In essence, good goy!

ps, this type of behavior shouldn't be encouraged.

The pins are on the board, just normal

But then the pins are surrounded by a rubber encasing type thing, put chip on top of rubber, apply pressure, rubber compresses, pins touch chip

This way you won't be poking the pins