Are iMac computers worth it?

Are iMac computers worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not at the moment they're not.

buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

It really depends what you want from a computer.

I'm actually considering one for myself, just because it'd make my setup so much cleaner. Though i'm waiting for a refresh with new GPUs that hopefully will be packing at least 8gb of video memory to run those 5k displays.

Is jamming a toothpick through your toenail worth it?

>laptop parts
>all the disadvantages of laptop parts
>overheats
>throttles
>sets your house on fire
>not even portable

>>laptop parts
The only laptop parts in the iMac are the GPU and RAM.

>>overheats
>>throttles
Wrong.

What about the integrated processors? Those are usually laptop parts

Pajeet?

The lowest model 2015 iMac uses an i5 6500.

Depends on your preference.
For me it was hard to use my iMac Pro at first, but after few months I was able to put the entire thing in my ass.

top kek

Yes it's worth it.
Pic related.

Macbooks are better. they cost around the same and you can bring them with you, unlike an iMac.

Why are you using a resolution that is higher than your native resolution?

Just got a 5k iMac. Specs are great and had no issues with temps (only the 295 and 295x really have issues) but that screen is just far better than anything else I have seen. Never been happier with a computer.

Am I the only one that thinks that this huge chin with an Apple logo an awful design?

Plus a Macbook can still run a 4k monitor if you plug it into one.

Because I can. It still looks better than a normal PPI display.

>The only laptop parts in the iMac are the GPU and RAM.
Oh, so only two of the most basic, critical components are laptop parts. Well that's okay then.

not worth it really. you're getting mostly laptop parts and a nice screen. what you should do is a component by component comparison and see what you can buy for the price of an imac. if you can order something better, get that. if not, get the imac. it's simple really.

Much better than a macbook pro for actual video/image and audio editing. All the software gui fits on the screen.

Your hand will get tired through because of shitty mouse acceleration

They are cheap, given a Dell 5k display is the same price as an iMac. On the other hand, it's a shitty computer, you can't replace the HDD unless you suction cup off the screen. If you can live without"retina" just buy a regular desktop and an ultrasharp

Nigga good luck getting equivalent screen for cheaper

Is making pointless troll threads worth it?

Only Apple computer I have is a Mac Pro for iOS development.

>Mac
>worth it

Pick one.

>GPU
>RAM
>Critical
MUH VIDEEO GAYMES WAAAHHH

It's pretty and runs OSX natively.
It has a good display.

It has laptop components, is not easily upgradable.
It throttles like a motherfucker.
It's loud when you're trying to use it for something productive.
It's Expensive as hell.
It's not upgradable. ( Well, not really, you do have access to ram/SSD i believe )

Macs are almost universally never worth it with the notable exceptions of :

1. You want a fashion accessory with a computer strapped to it

2. You need a legitimate OS X installation and cannot settle for a hackintosh.

3. You buy a used 5.1/5.2 LGA1366 Mac at a good price.

4. You want an iMac Exclusively for graphics work that's not real time 3d. ( I.E. a situation where the horsepower is there but the task is not demanding enough to cause throttling )

5. You want a laptop that's not a piece of shit and wont consider a 2012 thinkpad.

The only laptop components are the GPU and RAM. The RAM is only laptop to be upgradable.
The CPU is a desktop Core i5 (6500) and the HDD/SSDs are all full sized and high performance, unless you get the HDD that doesn't have an SSD cache.
On top of that the only other way to get a 5k monitor is to pay $1500 for one. That leaves you with $500 for parts. $200 is already gone because of the i5, and you need a video card with 2x DP 1.2 ports, the cheapest of which is the GTX 960 which is also $200. That means you are left with $100 for the motherboard, RAM, and anything else you need. Keep in mind if you don't upgrade the baseline 5k iMac at all then it'd only be around $1900 with taxes and shipping. There's no cheaper way to build a 5k computer.

Laptops start overheating towards the end of their lifespan.

I'm thinking of getting a MB pro but I can only afford a used. Is it worth getting one off eBay? I need it for XCode.

Literally what, it will look the same

/thread

Nope
Oh hey it's you. I wish I had enough money for a 5k Mac.

Depends, I don't really want a iMac, but if I could find a good deal on a laptop I will buy it.

That is why you should clean it
Thing about a hackintosh is that you can't have it all in one.

They are really fucking clean.

How about the new ones that should come out shortly?

Just buy an old MacPro, the tower ones

I sell them.
No, they are not.
there's 10 billion all-in-one PCs in the market that outdo it on price by a mile, and offer similar performance and build quality.

There literally isn't, even a custom build won't get you a computer with similar specs because a 5k screen by itself costs almost as much as the 5k iMac.

>It's loud when you're trying to use it for something productive.

My uni had an acoustically shit attic as a computer lab. Had 20 of them running CAD and Maya at the same time, that shit was silent as fuck.

typical of the prosumer end of apple, it's the only model worth considering. to use the 5k display for anything intensive though, you're going to throttle the system. a 5K imac with lower end hardware is the best solution.
>sell it as an ultimate media device
>no throttling, middle grade hardware should be fast enough for no one to notice

That's basically what they did.

>1800USD base model
>2x4GB RAM
I know it's not really needed, but I expected more RAM for the cost.

5k model at least has upgradable RAM, so there's no reason to spend $200 on getting an extra 8GB when you could just spend $30 doing it yourself.
You're probably better off with 24 or 32GB though.

>5k model at least has upgradable RAM
are the base and 4K models using soldered on RAM?

>want a laptop that's not a piece of shit
>mac

Pick one.

Yes. Who knows why, but those computers aren't worth it anyway. Especially since it costs like $200 more to go from the 4k iMac to the 5k iMac.
The 1080p iMac isn't worth considering at all.

Pro w/ Retina and the base 13-in Air are pretty good, the rest is kinda crap

>throttlebook pro
>1366x768
>pretty good

Fuck off Rajeesh.

I didn't say "great", user. But if you HAD to enter the appleverse, those two would be the best laptop options they have.

Nice shitty window management

Come back when it runs a real os

>runs OSX natively
>good thing

>y-you need a tiling WM
Yeah, Arch is a "real OS"

Shitty OS on shitty hardware, overpriced as fuck. Nope, not worth it.

Even fucking windows has tiling capabilities. There is absolutely no reason on any modern day operations system I should have to spend time manually resizing and moving windows just so I can fucking maximize the use of my screen real estate.

>Even fucking windows has tiling capabilities.
If you want to talk about 3rd party options then OS X has them too, so what exactly are you complaining about?

>There is absolutely no reason on any modern day operations system I should have to spend time manually resizing and moving windows just so I can fucking maximize the use of my screen real estate.
There's no reason I should have to take space away from my relevant windows just to show a file manager I'll likely only have open for a few minutes. Your computer isn't smart, it doesn't know what's relevant and what's not.

Can your OS rename files?

90% of your screen was completely unused.
By lacking such window snapping capabilities it makes it much more difficult when you have alot of windows open to manage their positions and sizes. Keyboard shortcuts make that much easier.

This shouldn't have to be a third party option to enable it. The fact that it is lacking on this operating system is quite simply proof that apple does not think highly of the intelligence of its user base. Overwhelmingly, keyboard shortcuts such as those are used by those who are more familiar with computers. Most "normie" users will never use them, but the fact remains they are present and have been present in every other semi mainstream operating system for years now, since the people that make the operating system like to look out for their own.

That OSX does not have them almost implies that apple does not expect anyone competent with a computer to use their product, a philosophy of theirs that extends far past simple window management. Quite simply, OSX is an operating system that is intended towards and does not conform itself to any sort of heavy usage. It lacks the tools to adequately manage many open tasks built into the base system and generally assumes the user is crippling stupid during all operations.
TLDR- Your computer is built for multi-tasking, it was built by Fisher-Price.

The Air is fucking shit.

see

Yea I just didn't feel like it.

Nice b8

It shouldn't even be an option, the screen gave me cancer.

>falling for the 8gb of ram meme

VRAM, you faggot

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

I hope you die alone and hated. May the earth rise against you and the air rebel in your lungs. May your last sight be the destruction of all that you love and what you last hear be all those who once loved you cursing your name.

>90% of your screen was completely unused.
Look at the resolution once. Do you honestly think I use that full time?

>By lacking such window snapping capabilities
You can add them on with a range of applications. You can't say that's acceptable for Windows and then act like OS X can't do the exact same things.

>makes it much more difficult when you have alot of windows open to manage their positions and sizes.
That's what 'Mission Control' is for. Pic related

>This shouldn't have to be a third party option to enable it
Then why did you bring up a 3rd party Windows tiling application? Besides, you can use two applications side by side in fullscreen, which is basically what "Aero Snap" does, minus the full screen.

>Overwhelmingly, keyboard shortcuts such as those are used by those who are more familiar with computers.
OS X comes with a built in method of creating and modifying hotkeys. It also relies heavily on Cmd+Q, Cmd+W, Cmd+M, and Cmd+H for managing windows.

>the fact remains they are present and have been present in every other semi mainstream operating system for years now, since the people that make the operating system like to look out for their own.
>That OSX does not have them
The fact you think OS X doesn't have them is a clear sign you have no clue what you're talking about. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Get people reaffirming your beliefs? Getting recognized for winning an internet argument? Attention? Like really.

What device is this?

Going by the resolution it looks like it was a 15" rMBP.

Not b8

i think people buy macs for the software that it comes with. It has alot of user friendly software thats easy to use, even for people who dont know how to use a computer that well. Take iMovie maker or whatever the fuck its called. that's pretty easy to use and make shit from. People don't generally pay for the good hardware for shit like this, only the brand.

Third party windows tiling application? What on earth are you talking about. Tiling has been native to windows since 7.

No I'm not expecting anyone to ever effectively use an 8k screen, but you can't even dream of it on a mac.

Considering a Applel laptop, if I see one for 500 or less it's mines. Nobody would sell a one for that price.

yea

>Tiling has been native to windows since 7.
Aero-snap is not tiling. The "tiling" you're thinking of is already in OS X. Pic related

Older MBPs go for around that these days. Like 2010 and 2011 models I think even.

Aren't you normally on /fit/?

OP, I have a 27" iMac from 2014. Non-5K. It's a *good* machine, but I find that I'm not using it as much as I thought I would, because I don't spend very much time at my desk anymore. If I had it to do over again, honestly, I'd get a MacBook Pro. And, if you're going to do just that, I'd wait until year's end, because rumors suggest that a significant redesign is being done to the rMBP.

They are clean as fuck, that's one of the better reasons to have one. One cable, no more, no less.

Honestly, this. As I said above, if I had my setup to do all over again, I'd roll with a souped-up rMBP, a dock, and a 4K monitor.

>Windows AIOs
>build quality

Bullshit. I've only just begun to see AIOs that don't look like a 10-year-old commodity Dell LCD within the last year or so. You're a professional ass-puller, is what you are.

Traditionally, the 27" models have a RAM door in back. The 21" model does not.

I'm a Sup Forums institution my man

I'm outsourcing

>macshit
>throttles
>overheats
>filesystem routinely shits itself
>total shit QA with 2 gallons of paste on the CPU/GPU
>literally glued together like the toy it is instead of secured with screws
>worth it

>hurr hurr look at me I'm parroting Sup Forums talking points

Get a brain, moran.

(Seriously. A little independent thought can go a long way.)

Hello, you seem to be delusional and megalomaniac. Surely nobody on this planet could be so incredibly stuck up and arrogant as to assume they among millions are more important than the rest?

It's a good thing that this is so easy to fix! All you need to do is make sure the name field is empty when you post! Because until you do so I'm afraid I, and many others, will wish you nothing but pain unto death!

But those are too old.

Yea I think a laptop would be better. I am looking for a good price on one

You have a lovely day too buddy

>(Seriously. A little independent thought can go a long way.)

>Don't think. Just buy our shit tier $200 chink trash with a $800 logo.

And may you as well.

Remember, tripcodes should be used sparingly or not at all

Is the X1 Carbon a good Laptop?

Fuck you trip faggot

2011-2012 mbp are the way to go.
got mine from this company Double Dex.
practically brand new physical condition, but all new internal hardware..annnnnnnd pretty reasonable price

better off buying a macbook pro if you are deadset on them. high end 15 inch. i used a 2010 21.5 inch with upgraded ram for a while, 6 years later it still runs great, but will overheat if it's in an enclosed space. just left it with my family for a home computer

forego a an imac, build a nice desktop for half the price, stream windows games to the mbp if you really want to. i like having portability because i'm on the move a lot, and the convenience of being able to use both

>animal collective
come on, Sup Forums, youre better than this. AC is the most overrated band of the millenium so far.

>Mac
>worth it

Pick one.

I'd wait for the upcoming refresh, then the 5k and less the 4k are kind of worth it. In the end it's also up to how much you value service and aesthetics. If you do, then go for it, if you don't then go ahead and build something yourself and feel superior about it.

As someone who owns a 2011 iMac for work and has built a windows PC for fun the mac is easily the better computer for day to day tasks, at least for me.

2 rupees have been deposited in your shit wiping hands Rajeesh.

GPU is still strong enough by far for most applications, even gaming (for normal people, ofc it's a different story for 600fps 4k 144hz whatever assholes).
what exactly is the difference between desktop and laptop RAM again? ah yeah right, form factor.

fuck off.

as for you, OP: iMacs, even the upcoming generation, are clearly overpriced for the hardware they contain. the extra monies go into the packaging, the making-it-beautiful that apple customers go for. it is, however, definitely a nice piece of hardware with good build quality and will probably serve you for a long time with minimal frustration, which is also in part due to OS X. however, it is certainly not the highest powered hardware at the price point, so if you're poor and/or some kind of Sup Forums asshole who gets a boner for bang-for-buck graphics cards, it's probably not for you.