How to Survive Microsoft Purgatory

h, Sup Forums

So....I got a new job with a new managed service provider. Briefly, I've always been more so an infrastructure guy than a dev guy, in the past I've done night shifts at a NOC and picked up a ton of comfy IDS and malware analysis work which they figured was good work to give an afterhours person.

Anywho, my new company is painfully Microsoft. To a fault. They even require me to use this pale blue sans serif Web 2.0 looking font on all client facing emails. Everyone is obsessed with managing and optimizing our RDS and Exchange boxes, and I'm sitting here thinking I must look nuts to them having never even touched Win10 or Server2k12 before. Yet I still work my way around their rigs because moving from Loonix to Microsoft purgatory isn't really hard in terms of technical ability.

I'm so annoyed with it though. I had to play with a bunch of i386 architecture dependencies just to get Teamviewer working on my personal debian rig to use their remote agent package which relies on this suite of teamviewer/bitdefender/GFI/maxremote for all our server management. I was thrilled when I was assigned to work on some VOIP sever changes simply because it was the only Linux server in the entire server farm.

So my question is. For those of us who are Stallman-tier GNU/Linux fanboys, how do you survive in Microsoft exclusive suit and tie stuffy IT departments? Can anyone relate that has worked with Microsoft partners? Everyone is normie and I'm spooked.

Please share stories of your own!!

Be sure to have your inhaler and insulin on standby for when you wake up and realize that Microsoft is better than your GNU/Autismal shit.

Kek, accurate pic OP

I woke up and realized windows was better than GNU/systemd/linux

Windows has always been shit for development and system management, stop being delusional.

I feel sorry for you, I'm free to use my GNU/Linux laptop for work.

I never said it was better stupid, I'm just saying people who use Linux have no life

>calls me delusional
>is an autistic lincuck

You CANNOT make this shit up

That's pretty autistic, senpai.

if you are using teamviewer to manage windows machines, you are working for a fucking retarded company

>Windows
>Shit for system management

Never has a statement been so incorrect.

What your employer uses on their own computers is their own business; your freedom is not being harmed when you are employed to use your company's computer to do company business. There are two lines that I have in regards to non-free software in business. The first line is that they shouldn't ask me to install non-free software onto my personal computer. The second line is that they shouldn't ask me to write software that will be subsequently distributed as proprietary software.

Fascinating to witness unironical windows shills on a board supposedly for tech literate people.

What the fuck is wrong with your brain? Ever heard of active directory? You realize you can manage thousands of fucking servers without ever having the RDP into them, right? You can use powershell and remote management windows tools to do anything to machines without having to touch them.

If you have never worked at a windows shop and are literally just trying to fit in here calling anyone who dares to go against some fuck retarded linux circlejerk a shill, you can fuck off back to your indian threads you fucking tool.

Simple. I'd work somewhere else, OP.

All those tools are hotfix shit upon "what are we even creating" insane overengineering shit. Things aren't scriptable, things aren't flexible. This thought of windows being good with anything of the sort is purely based on ignorance of other platforms that are actually respected in non-indian development.

But you are wrong. Windows server have remote management tools built in, and powershell is literally how you can script remote actions on anything. There is a reason that server 2016 is doing away with the GUI in its default install, because they are trying to push people to remote management completely.

You are showing how ignorant you are to business environments with your 'lol windows sucks XD' responses with literally nothing to back them up with but epic memes.

I have plenty experience with both platforms, there's a reason I stick with Linux. Powershell is incredibly slow compared to any Linux shell, the output and syntax is awkward, windows terminal is slow as fuck, do you know what a package manager is?

Of course I do, and yet powershell works just the same as anything else. Why would I need a fucking package manager? I can install roles via powershell, I can install packages I custom tailor via SCCM. Saying 'its slower' is not enough. What, am I supposed to propose we move all 1500 of our windows servers over to linux because bash is faster? That is how you get laughed out of the fucking building.

The output and syntax is what is called the learning experience. I like python better but powershell just fucking works and integrates into everything.

It just works and nothing more than that. UNIX is the epitome of good design, Windows is the clunky pile of shitty hotfixes that might work too.

>UNIX is the epitome of good design
Jesus Christ No.

Get a different job. That's how it always is. If you want to do satisfying work you'll need to sacrifice in other areas such as location or pay rate.

Sensibly chuckled.

Windows is getting better over time, and so are Linux management suites, but good luck doing with desktop installs what you do with Windows boxes.

>get job with IT contractor which is explicitly windows
>do regular server maintenance, write code for ASP sites, etc
>still exclusively use Linux
>anything that requires windows is done through my RDS server

it's easy senpai