E Reader Suggestion

Does anyone here use an E reader

Amazon has gone full jew with their DRM cloud storage and poojet tech support. Kobo seems to be dead and their last reader was in 2014. The Nook is just bad

How much longer do you think it will take before we get color e ink readers before 1k?

TL:DR should I get a paperwhite 3, Voyage, or Oasis or wait another year or two for something better?

Other urls found in this thread:

dasung.com.cn/index.html
gutenberg.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just buy real books man, they're cheap esp. if they're in paperback or used.

Pirating books is a thing, I use a normal tablet and use a .epub reader app.

I had a First Gen Nook, and you can crack it and load it with free books if you want, but It's not great, no glare, but no night light.

unfortunately, if you look at the specs of the oasis vs. the voyage, the voyage actually outclasses the oasis in almost everything; if i recall correctly, the oasis doesn't even have the ambient light sensor. if you buy the oasis, you're buying it for the ergonomics and aesthetics, but you don't get any more functionality at all.

as for the paperwhite 3 vs. the voyage, i have both, and it really stems down to two things: slightly better backlighting, and it's lighter.

both the paperwhite and the voyage have the same battery, the same dpi, but differ in design, weight, and in the lighting; in dark conditions, you can see some slightly unevenly distributed leds on the paperwhite which you don't have on the voyage, but the difference is negligible.

if i lost both the voyage and paperwhite today, i'd go out and buy the paperwhite; the voyage simply isn't worth the extra money just for slightly better backlighting and an ambient light sensor, and the oasis is a posh version of the voyager.

also: same user here, keep in mind you can put custom firmware on the kindle and load up any amount of pirated books on it; google duokan

Thank you for replying.

Can you not just put pirated .mobi books on it out of the box?

How bad is the light bleed really? The Oasis has it really bad. That's actually the number one complaint in the reviews.

i'm very tempted for the Kobo Mini. ¿has anybody tried it? it would be my first ebook reader, so i have no idea what to look for

Kobos really show their age now.

It's slow and missing features that even the Nook has.

They can't handle PDFs at all, not that you'd even want to on the mini.

They need to release a Mini 2 and HD 2, so we will have something to combat this Amazon shit.

Someone needs to come out with an ereader that merges the Kindle and Kobo features together

>Larger screen
>SD card slot
>Better processor
>Audio book compatible
>Color eink
>No cloud faggotry

I can dream

I read ebooks on my phone.
Just werks.

>Kobos really show their age now.
>its slow
All e-readers are slow, including voyage / oasis. Its kind of pathetic, really.

What other mobile devices have month-long battery life?

Anons not to hijack it's topic but what are some good books to help you self improve and finally leave the limbo that is/g

Not him but I have an older Kindle. Yes, you can just get pirated stuff and put it there, works fine. Calibre makes that very easy.

week long would probably be fine desu

They're all slow, but the difference between a 2012 Kobo and newer Kindle is way too drastic.

The Kindle is already painfully slow, but it's hard to go backwards with technology once you get used to something.

Like you said, it's really pathetic, especially since the Oasis is $300 and still has built in ads that you have to pay $20 to get taken out

What did you have in mind?

Most self help books are just circle jerking and don't really help you.

Do you have a degree?

I'd start with some basic personal finance books and then choose a subject that you'd like to learn more about or make a profession out of.

If you want to learn skills, then opt for text books instead of self help books

/biz/ used to have a book infographic that was really good, but too many Bernie fags started adding shitty SJW books to it and I don't have the original

DO NOT BUY OASIS its just downgraded slim version of paperwhite

Also voyage has a glass screen which I personally do not like. Its like an extra layer on the screen thats just distracting.

I gave voyage to my friend and bought paperwhite3. Its just so much better.
Also installed jb on it, unnecessary but fun :^)

Yep, KOBOS make reading pdfs impossible. I have a KOBO that I bought in 2012 and it randomly stopped working as soon as it was out of warranty.

I fell for the e-ink meme but realistically I just use my phone now that has 5" inch display - if you turn the brightness down it's not that bad, I haven't experienced any eye strain.

Is there any noticeable difference between the Paperwhite 3 screen and the voyage?

Are the buttons on the Voyage good or just annoying?

Already ruled out the Oasis. Now I'm just deciding between the Voyage and P3.

It's funny because half the Amazon reviews for all the Kindles say that their devices just randomly stop working within six months of them being out of warranty.

Wonder if Amazon is bricking them or if they're just designed to fail within that time frame.

>Kobo glo HD

Its exactly same screen. Its just voyage has that extra layer of glass.
I personally found voyage edges to be somewhat sharp and uncomfortable to hold for longer periods of time. Also the buttons are supposed to be capacitive but you still need to apply fair amount of pressure. Not sure if thats a bug or a "feature". When button is pressed there is light vibration/tactile feedback which I found distracting. What I did like was having both buttons (page forward and back) on both sides. You could just hold it with one hand and not use another hand to go page back.

I have original kindle keyboard and later updated keyboardless and they still works fine.

Kobo is awesome and it respects your freedom. Fuck Kindle.

have a kobo aura h2o, had some backlight issues (the central led bleeds through when the backlight is on, it's almost unnoticeable unless you know what to look for but if you're doing what I'm doing and reading at night with no light in the room as well as maximising the reading space by minimising header/footers it becomes noticeable at the end of the pages) and gave up trying to replace it to get one that wasn't shit after my 3rd model (fuck brick and mortar stores)

otherwise it's slow as balls but I love it, the only feature I'd like that kindles has is the backlight automatically adjusting for reading in the dark

>Kobo seems to be dead and their last reader was in 2014.

oct 2014 for the h2o, may 2015 for the glo hd

it's not like there's any innovation in hardware for ereaders, what more do you want? hardware buttons is about it which I'd love on a kobo but amazon only really recently put on kindles

Now that ereaders have bright screens with colors is there literally any reason not to just use your phone/tablet?

I'm being serious and not trolling btw

The biggest complaint about the buttons I see is that the sensitivity is shit.

You roll it all the way up and you page turn just holding it, and anything less requires you to make an effort to turn the page.

The voyage with the Oasis buttons would have probably been the best option

>still has built in ads that you have to pay $20 to get taken out
everyone on slickdeals says you just open a support ticket asking to get the ads turned off, and they turn them off
there is no system in place for them to accept money to turn it off, even if you offer

they just do it when you request, and say some robotic thing how it's because you've been a loyal customer

of course the system where they offer a reader for $20 more that doesn't come with the ads in the first place is retarded, yeah

I don't think so, I think the KOBO just has bad build quality. I actually had a my first KOBO brick in like 2 weeks but it got replaced by warranty.

Its a different type of lighting. Also e inks display is meant to look like a real book. I guess amoled screens can compete because each individual pixels brightness can be controlled but only samsung releases those. Large majority of tablet on a market are ips.

Is it bad to read on an IPS or amoled display?

>there is no system in place for them to accept money to turn it off, even if you offer

Seriously?

I just assumed they'd make you pay for it through your amazon account.

Looked it up and there are a ton of youtube videos showing how to do it, but they're all a year old.

Surely Amazon wouldn't keep this going

They are just like computer screens. Do you prefer and find it easier reading text on computer screen or reading an actual paper book (because e ink is very similar to actual paper book)

there's probably only a couple dozen calls per day to get it removed, it's chump change to them when you figure how much they eat in free shipping costs

they could even be using it to their advantage by selling a unit to "savvy shoppers" thinking that they're getting a better deal than everyone else

So... any other sugestions? I swear i'm completely lost, i just want somenthing that works and doesn't shit itselft after 3 months of usage

>do I want a kindle?

Ask yourself this, do you want a piece of shit with only 4 gigabytes of storage and no microSD slot and a piece of shit botnet? If not pick something else

I live in Europe and just opened a ticked complaining that I got American ads with American prices and they removed it. Worked pretty sweet, but I'm sure any other bullshit reason would work, too.
>only 4 gigabytes
how many fucking books do you need to carry around?

All ereaders are shit

Amazon pushes cloud, which they openly admit to scanning your books and files. Have actually been caught deleting pirated books and even purchased books from devices.

Kobo has manufacturing defects out the ass and is slow as shit. Also missing half the features that Amazon has.

Neither of them stand behind the product

Just get whichever one you want. It's gonna break in a year anyway.

dasung.com.cn/index.html

I bought a Kindle 7th gen and a Nook SimpleTouch with GlowLight a few weeks ago off craigslist. I like the Nook significantly more than the Kindle.

The Nook works perfectly with my (pirated) epubs. The Kindle didn't work after I converted the epubs to mobi or the proprietary amazon format. I actually like the backlight, which the kindle doesn't have. I have it set on the lowest setting and battery life isn't impacted much. And it doesn't fuck with my eyes like a normal tablet does.

On top of all that the Kindle just feels slower. And I'm just not invested in the Amazon ecosystem.

I thought the kobos could be hacked to load android so their lack of features wouldn't really matter then.

I use a Kindle Voyage and have Calibre to load books onto it.

gutenberg.org/
I use this website to get out of copyright books, it is great. They even have .mobi books.

Jesus

I do this on my breaks at work, but when reading casually, I'd prefer something with an e-ink screen.

I use a Kobo touch for almost only epubs, and it works fine. It helps that I got it used for $35.

That looks nice, but I will never contribute to it

Technology crowd funding is the worst. The product is either vapor ware or shit until it proves otherwise.