/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post all your small and stupid questions that doesn't deserve their own thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/EVGA-Continuous-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0430-KR/dp/B00H33SDR4/ref=lp_1161760_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464573343&sr=1-5
sourceforge.net/projects/imagefap-gallery-downloader/
amazon.com/dp/B01AZC4O2C/
yun.baidu.com/wap/link?shareid=3442684559&uk=2821320741&third=0&page=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll start:
My maximum processor state is at 100%,
if i lower it to 80% is that harmful to the cpu, since they are meant to be at 100%? I wanna lower my temps a bit.

There is already a thread here
Please do a search for "sqt" in the catalog before creating a new thread.

It's not harmful but it shouldn't be necessary to lower the temperature. What's your current idle/load temperatures, though? If your computer is a few months or even years old and your temperatures are abnormally high, it might be due to accumulated dust so cleaning the fans and heat sinks should help.

I was running debian on my server for a while but I broke it. Gonna reinstall, what should I use? I'm thinking fedora server. It's just a torrent/dlna/file sharing server.

Congrats OP you're stupid

How much watts does my computer use judging from this speccy?

The PSU caulacutor says 500w but is it just over estimating or what?

I need a new psu for cheap since mine just fucking died and was looking at this one amazon.com/EVGA-Continuous-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0430-KR/dp/B00H33SDR4/ref=lp_1161760_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464573343&sr=1-5

Thanks, my computer is 2 months old, the fan looks really dusty, i'll clean it and re apply thermal paste :p.

No more than 280W.

Everyone go to the real thread.

What's the best VPN for speed/latency?

pleb here, does anyone have a link to a guide on removing all win7 upgrade prompts and so on?

old thread is dead

ahem

IS PUTTING A 6 PIN IN AN 8 PIN SLOT IN MY GRAPHICS CARD A GOOD OR BAD IDEA?

>andisweartogodifiseethatoneanonthatsaysyesimgoingtoflip.jpg

Yes

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't know the answer to your question

at least your honest user

Not sure if it will fit. And no, you should not underpower your card, even if it does fit.

>not fitting

huh

user its pcie

im not sticking a fucking sata in my gpu

>doubting falcon
You're making a mistake right now, user.

So... water damage happened to my keyboard and it's borked.

I'm not feeling getting another high-priced mechanical for a while so any suggestions for a low cost keyboard to hold me over for a few months?

>sucking a tripfags dick

your quite the memester there user

Right, it will probably fit. Still, do not underpower the GPU.

Heard uTorrent is shit. Considering I run into ads alot, I'm starting to believe it.

What does Sup Forums generally agree is a good client?

go away nsa

i use vuze but i dont think anybody on Sup Forums would recommend it

Plebian here, using Windows.

I downloaded a Python script to download imagefap albums.

sourceforge.net/projects/imagefap-gallery-downloader/

The instructions are straight forward. What you do is open the Imagefap Gallery Downloader and have it running, locate a imagefap gallery and click Copy and it should download the album. It worked for me last night, but now it doesn't want to do anything. I open it up, locate a gallery and hit Copy, and it just does nothing. There seems to be something I'm missing. Thoughts?

How long to PC parts like PSUs and HDDs typically last without breaking?

Deleted the picture, here's the safe for work version.

bump

is volafile kill?

Okay if i download a custom rom for my Android device. Will Google stop tracking me?

Also, what's the ROM that goes by the initials FF?

Are there starving artist types in technology, esp given the times?

Torrenting on my laptop is a little fucked. Normally the download starts several seconds after adding the torrent, but in my case it randomly takes like half an hour or so before any connections happen and any kind of speed appears, any ideas ?

BBC iPlayer - how do I rip without DRM? Have you tried it?

I'm outside UK, on mobile connection and want to rip Hinterland for later as one episode expires later today.

yea you need bleeding edge for sharing files

Thoughts on stacking hard drives? Want to put externals on top of each other (only three) in storage (not powered on) but the ! magnets may interact with each other. Is this okay?

>but the ! magnets may interact with each other
what?

do phones from motorola.com work outside of the US?

It has been said not to put magnets near hard drives.

Yeah, what's your point?
Hard drives don't "interfere".

Obs studio, set scene to capture video from iPlayer, record desktop audio, done.

Would getting a 1440p 144hz monitor be a waste for non gaming? Would I need a gpu or would intergrated graphics work? If so what would I need?

So i have a bluetooth wireless mouse adapter but not the mouse that i want to use for connecting a controller but when i plug it in it shows up as a mouse, what do?

Yeah

But why?

for some reason, my Brother printer is not printing black ink, then I notice black ink is not pumping into the tube that connects to the printhead...any idea what went wrong?

Rtorrent/rutorrent is best
Qbittorent is OK
Deluge is acceptable

What are tou
>Would getting a 1440p 144hz monitor be a waste for non gaming?
Yes
>Would I need a gpu
No
>or would intergrated graphics work?
Yes
> If so what would I need?
A motherboard

Should I use adaptive or offset voltage when I overclock my 6600k? I keep reading that adaptive doesnt work, but that was from when the chip came out.

How does one call the connector in the caliper

What is the advantage to the 6850K over the 5930K?
From the leaked specs I don't see any clear advantage to justify the price hike.

Better single core performance and per core overclocking.

PSU output wattage socket

kill yourself

How fast is the Core i5 6500 compared to Core i5 4460? or How much faster?

Explain this, freetards.

Approximately 12% based on benchmarks.

Is it worth switching to dvorak?

My fresh install of Win7SP1 has been "Checking for updates" for countless hours now. 1 odd thing though is this screen has changed. Went from nothing being there to all this being there. Is this all working as designed? Because it says no updates were installed yet all this is under installed updates now. My PC doesn't seem updated. I want to update it without getting tricked into Windows 10 forcing its way here. Will I have anything to worry about if I have GWX Control Panel turned on? I just want my fucking Xbox One controller to fucking work.

Question: what laptop should I get for a computer science degree? Macbook Pro or PC? If PC, what model would you recommend?

Or should I just pool my money into building a kickass desktop gaming computer and use a tablet for taking notes?

what list.extend() method do?

For the first semester or two, try to limit distractions. Get a T420 used, put some GNU/Linux distro on it and get some shit done. In my experience most people drop out within the first 3 semesters because they can't resist the temptation to spend all their free time (and then some of their study time, and then some of their lecture time, and finally all their time) doing anything but studying, then complain about it being too hard.
Save your money and buy a nice pc in a year or so. That way you'll even have money left over for a car or bike or whatever.

I installed win 10 on a 3 year old computer and now when starting up the pc the screen simply remains black. did win10 just destroy my bios and how do I fix that?

help me

Connect your monitor.

it's an all-in-one computer. nothing was done with the hardware

ok since two days win 10 decided to stick in a infinite loop of ''automatic repair'' at startup, tried everything even the with the cmd, it didn't work fuck it

so my question is when I reinstall windows 10 using a usb device will it wipe my system disk automatically, because of space reasons I cannot copy my files to a different hard drive, I am planing to create a ''backup'' folder in my system drive and copy everything of value in there using a bootable linux solution

normally on win7 and lower the system would just create a ''windows.old'' and leave everything intact, so could it work?

I'm having a problem when I play games, after a few hours the monitor will lose signal and the pc crashes. Sent it to the store and tech guy said it's either the psu or the motherboard. If it is the motherboard and I have to change it, do I have to reinstall windows?

The proximity sensor is giving me trouble during calls and I don't find it useful. Since I have Tasker, I thought about using it for disabling the sensor at all times.

I only created a simple 'hang up after 59 minutes' profile and I'm clueless about how to proceed, but I'm eager to learn.

Can anyone point out how to do this?

I'm going to use a virtual machine for the only purpose of using the Adobe CS5 suite (the "less intensive" applications that is). This is because through WINE I have had many issues, tried a while ago and it worked fine.

Which version of Windows would be better for this? I'm concerned about RAM usage of all things. Using Ubuntu.

Is there any decent laptop with more than 4 GB RAM for $4-500 max ir should I save for something better? My 2011 Macbook Pro I got from school sounds like a goddamn vacuum if you do anything more demanding than web browsing on it.

just partition your drive. copy every thing there then reinstall

are those little sticks that are a computer which you just plug into a monitor any good?
you know, those little PC sticks

Huh? You mean those streaming devices like Chromecast and Amazon Fire? Those kick ass.

I think you understand me wrong, I have only that drive (where my system is) but I'm not so sure that by reinstalling win10 he actually deletes every folder located on my drive that doesn't belong to windows for ex. a folder called backup

you can resize ntfs fairly easily.
shrink the win10 partition, make a new ext3 partition in the drives free space and copy the important shit there
then wipe the windows 10 partition and reinstall to there (dont wipe the drive), install an ext3 driver for windows 10, copy your shit back over, delete the ext3 partition and resize the windows partition to take up the whole of the drive

How do i use this

as far as i know resizing will erase all files on the drive

install it on something connected to a tv, point it at some movies, anime and tv shows, watch your movies/anime/tv through the tv with a nice ui

what the fuck do you want to do with it

not with ntfs. ntfs resizes perfectly fine. Use ntfsresize.

alright will try that thanks

is the GPU shroud on this card even necessary?

Can I remove it without consequences?

It's also very loud compared to my other components. Can I put a 120mm PWM fan on there instead? How will the card react when there's no fan connected to it's PCB?

thanks Sup Forums

Good router for under $70?
My Modem is about four rooms away from my place and I have a fucklong cat5 cable running through them to my computer. My phone service is absolute shit in here and the wifi from the modem isn't worth dick. I'd also like to be able to port forward so I can play shitty 2d indie games with people I begrudgingly call friends.

Watch movies and tv shows

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and suddenly my laptop won't output 1920x1080p to my monitor, it seems to be 1366x768, since everytihng is enlarged.

I've tried mucking around with settings and drivers to no avail, anything else I can do?

Is it possible my graphics card (Intel HD) doesn't support 1920x1080 on Windows 10?

Thanks gang.

>Install Windows onto my new SSD
>Set files to be sent to my Hard Drive
>Drop Videos into the Videos Fav folder
>It saves to my SSD
I dont get this

seems everyone ITT is getting their asses spanked by M$' Jewish Windows Platform

No bro

Intel Compute Stick
amazon.com/dp/B01AZC4O2C/
One of these

>Is it possible my graphics card (Intel HD) doesn't support 1920x1080 on Windows 10?
nop

Does anyone know how to download from baidu.com?
I need to download this thing.
Only place I see to get it.
yun.baidu.com/wap/link?shareid=3442684559&uk=2821320741&third=0&page=1
Fucking china.

see this reply

Didn't work because no VPN and free hola refused to work after like 2 tries. But thanks m8, it is some kind of way.

GHIBLI MUSIC COLLECTION(78CD~FLAC分轨)
>78CD
>FLAC

I have a few questions about RAID that Google refuses to give me definitive answers to.

I actually have a "RAID Box" (Icy-Box) with two 4Tb HDDs in RAID1 which is almost full and I'd like to add more space to it.

1.) Is there any way to add 2 4Tb HDDs to these (and change the box since mine only has room for two) and switch to RAID10 without losing my data?
2.) If I remove one of my actual RAID1 HDDs from the box and connect it directly to my PC, can I access my data? Is there any risk of losing data doing this?
3.) I've read people having issues recovering their data after their box died. I always thought that if it happened, you only had to connect one of the disk into your PC or to put both in any RAID1 box. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?
4.) If recovering data after a box breaks isn't as easy as that, shouldn't I simply stop using RAID? Should I use JBOD and manually mirror copy everything on separate HDDs everytime to be sure I'll always be able to retrieve my data if something bad happens?

I'm really anal about my data, I just want it to be stored in the safest possible way (Cloud excepted, my connection wouldn't allow it).

That's good to hear at least

Hey Sup Forums, I'm in a semi-big predicament. A family friend of mine called me up today because her windows 10 account password has been changed without her knowledge. I dropped by yesterday to clean up her laptop, and everything was in working order. I even restarted it and was able to log in just fine. She can't type anything into the password field and when she presses enter the password hint is 'some are unlucky', which is not her password hint.
Apparently users can fix their forgotten passwords with a password recovery disk, but she doesn't have one. There is also the M$ online password reset system, but that doesn't look like it can reset passwords for non-MS accounts; she made a local one only. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reset her password? I suggested to her looking for the admin account on the account select page, but she couldn't find it. I also suggested reinstalling windows since she has a backup, but, naturally, windows installed itself so she has no windows disk.

Is there a way to stop uMatrix from blocking an image from being loaded after I've a-okayed it after the page has loaded? I'd like to be able to right click on the white-and-grey placeholder image > load image after I've 'whitelisted' the domain.
Example:
Load Sup Forums.org with i.4cdn.org images: red
click i.4cdn.org images: green
right click image placeholder
load image
Ideally I'd like for the image to load but at the moment I have to refresh the page for it to take effect.

How do I get proper TWRP and root on my Note 3 Pro? Do I need the dev rom for this?
DDG gives hazy responses, and /csg/ isn't helpful

Ok so i got my program to run on eclipse. Now what? I managed to export it, but i don't really understand how i'm supposed to handle dependencies. I can add random jars to my project and get a 100mb hello world app with javafx.
It seems i'm supposed to use maven. Can someone elaborate?
Also i'm using some libraries licensed as apache 2.0, but i will release my program under gnu gpl v3.
Where do i have to put the license file? And what do i have to write inside it?

PLS USE YOUR AUTISM TO HELP ME

Last thread got archived so reposting:
I'm just beginning to learn and am having a hard time understanding how everything works together. The front-end seems okay, but what would I need to write a site that contains data (blog, forum, BBS sort of thing)?

Is node.js and/or mongoDB enough? Or do they need to work in conjunction with SQL and/or a "server-side language"? Do people write their own CMS's to manage everything? I imagine they don't romp through code every time they want to post.