Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums.

What are some good CS 101 books? I've programmed for years, so I'm quite familiar with a lot of things but I never actually went to school. And I want to present myself like I did. So I'm sure I have gaps that I don't even know about.

No shit like SICP please, I want to be able to get through it within a couple weeks, and my goal is to pass an interview not actually be a wizard.

Introduction to Algorithms by CLRS.

Why is the M9 so attractive? So sad the aluminum frame on the Inox version looks like shit.

You say you don't want to be a wizard, but these are a nice thing to present yourself with.

I love this book, too, but it's way too expensive so I've only used a copy from my university's library and a handy pirated e-book copy. Looking forward to buying it eventually though.

SICP

An alternative to SICP is HTDP, it's available for free as well in htdp.org

lord have mercy

what is the source??

I second that question

Sauce pls

i actually expected the gun to go off. you ruined something that could've been good for me, Sup Forums. you ruined me.

Fucking bitch, is she trying to ruin the gun with her dirty slaver?!

Aint the source but there's a scene like this in one of the bible black OVAs

poo in the loo

>CS 101
not saying it's THAT advanced but come the fuck on. he asked for 101.

Yeah, it's not "that" 101, but what is? Babby's first Python programming tutorial?

high school algebra/trigonometry

That's not really necessary for CS desu

Well, maybe a discrete math book, that's actually useful for CS and in fact taught in my degree's first term.

what....do you live in india or something......

when is trig useful? there are libraries for all advanced maths. you don't need anything beyond algebra

>my goal is to pass an interview not actually be a wizard

Cracking the Coding Interview.

Read it. Do the problems. Research anything you don't understand. Then you can get a job at Google, Facebook, or any other bullshit organization.

failed my discrete maths in first term, didn't see a use for explicit discrete mathematics (logic sure, but not actual mathematical implementation) in the rest of my course

1st worlder here, and finished with a distinction

something makes me feel i should learn to maths and that i just got carried through from my strong background in logic from philosophy

Third worlder here (Brazil).

Discrete math is useful for other math disciplines (it's a requirement for e.g. linear algebra and graph theory in my degree's structure) as well as the theoretical computer science ones (again a requirement for formal languages and automata, CS theory...). It also gave me a groundwork to read many CS articles and papers, stuff like being able to fluently read mathematical notation, since many of those articles use a lot of set notation and define stuff in terms of sets and whatnot.

Aside from logic being directly applicable to programming (we have a specific logic class later on, which also has discrete math as a requirement) one also learns mathematical proofs, which are useful in proving correctness of algorithms and to infer and prove their complexity.

I mean, I guess it's basically useful for the "science" part of computer science.

learn python the hard way