Itt times you listened to Sup Forums and it backfired on you

itt times you listened to Sup Forums and it backfired on you

Other urls found in this thread:

au.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Computer Science&l=South Australia
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Get a degree in CS, user

I don't listen to Sup Forums. What kind of retard listens to Sup Forums?

fell for the trap meme and got HIV : (

Fell for CRT meme. Had to recycle the damn thing.

Oh fuck.

I installed Linux.
Video drivers didn't even work properly, fuck Linux.

then dont be a whore

Lol. U should have fell for the prep meme faggot.

I fell for the CS degree meme

now i'm a NEET living in my parents basement.

I fell for 120gb SSD meme. Should've bought 240gb.

Was just in that thread

ITT:
>newfags falling for memes
lurk moar

It doesn't take very long to find out what memes are so because they're useful (none) and what are just hikikomori poser trash (all of them).
>Posting from my ThinkPad™ T420™
>and tiny mechanical keyboard
>Maybe falling for CS meme but probably go EE
>no ragerts

Steelcase leap

Bought it on craigslist, and I regret every dollar I wasted on it.

how terrible :(

Thinkpad i guess, but only because i paid too much for it.

Shots fired

Bitcoin.

I got scammed really hard on mechanical keyboards and AMD CPUs. The keyboard is identical in feel to my normal one, except it's fucking loud. The CPU is hot garbage that performs worse than even cheaper Intel alternatives I could have looked into.

The Retina MacBook Pro meme. Shit's useless beyond daily browsing

What did you expect from a 1300$ facebook machine?

It didn't cost me anything, but I was expecting a decent laptop, especially after seeing so many "f-find me a computer that has the same specs and battery as a MacBook Pro Sup Forums". I though it would at least be comparable to a modern laptop.

It may have been free for you, but it's still a 1300$ facebook machine by definition. Anything carrying such a "brand" is likely to suck at any thing you might want to do with it. Even facebook browsing.
I doubt anyone on Sup Forums advised you buy a macbook, unless it was a memester.

>got a nexus 6p because of "muh latest android"
>find out it doesn't have a microsd slot 2 months after I bought it
>have to sell it on ebay to buy another android phone with a microsd slot
god fucking damnit

>Industry standard in content creation
>Useless beyond daily browsing
Maybe it's a problem with you?
I can create content and utilize the processing power in the T410s I have that runs on a shit 1st gen i5, yet you can't think of anything to do with a Retina MBP other than facebook?

>being a retard and not checking the phone for the features you want
>muh Sup Forums has mislead me
kill yourself famalam

I wasted 40$ on a t61 ill never use

I dunno, Sup Forums recommended qBittorent, and IMO, it ended up being a pretty decent torrent client.

>Late 90s Dell PS/2 keyboard for everything, including gaming
>Works and feels amazing
>Intel i3 4150 Dual Core @ 3.5GHz
>Cheap, but runs everything with no effort

which keyboard do you have user? i see a lot in /mkg/ and im curious about which ones are best

Dell SK-8110

Feels like a dream. The spacebar is a little loud, but that's about it.

Found it in the bottom of a box after moving, had no other keyboard available, and it just grew on me.

>people actively trying to fall for Sup Forums memes in a thread about people falling for Sup Forums memes

i cant stop

posted from my T420s

I fell for the FX-6300 meme back in mid-2013. Still regret it.

One time I installed bsd.

The SK-8110 is exactly what I was talking about in as well. I have a similar rubber dome model, and it's almost identical in feel to my cherry mx-blue switch MKB, except it doesn't make a fuckton of noise whenever I type on it and cost $100 less.

Buying into the MKB placebo is by far my biggest tech blunder.

2 months after? sounds like it wasnt that important weeblord

I installed GNU/kFreeBSD...

Serves you right for not checking specs before buying.

Yeah, it was way more shitty than your old FX-55 that topped all the benchmarks for quite a while.

Oh wait, you didn't own an FX-55. You were in grade school.

I installed actual FreeBSD.

it's certainly not good for daily personal use, but there's a lot of neat tech in it

How do u feel about OpenBSD?
I went through a BSD phase several years ago and tried em all

I really do feel tricked though, they're all awful for personal usage and screenfetch doesn't even work right on openbsd

I would say installing Gentoo, but it's actually worked out really well so far.

>You don't need an i7 for gaming
>gaming laptops aren't worth it

Holy fuck, memes: the desktop

openbsd is supposed to be way better for personal use than freebsd since the devs dogfood their shit but freebsd devs all work on macbooks.

but i didn't use openbsd very long so i don't know every pain point. it felt a lot better from my first impression

well it is jordan

I fell for the CS meme

>You don't need an i7 for gaming
You don't. Performance is pretty much the same across all games except games like ARMA 3 which can only use 2 threads efficiently.

>gaming laptops aren't worth it
They're not. Maybe you'll buy a decent specced $2000 today but 5 years later it won't be able to handle the latest games in 720p. Whereas if you build a custom desktop PC today, you'll be able to simply upgrade the graphics card and the motherboard + CPU. You can't do that on a laptop.

the CS meme isn't a Sup Forums meme

I fell for the marketer meme apple seriously doesn't deserve half the shit Sup Forums gives it

I actually believed Jews weren't the Chosen People.

I legitimately don't understand why anyone would spend tens of thousands of dollars to go to school for a degree that gives them the same employment opportunities as someone who learned all of the same information online for free.

It's one thing if you're going to MIT or a school that will guarantee you a high paying position right after graduation, but people who get a CS degree from a state school or community college are literally wasting years of their lives and every penny they spend there. Then the people who didn't get a degree make the same amount as you and don't have a mountain of debt to pay off for the next 10 years.

Source: Self taught software developer working at one of the "Big Four"

I thought I could use Linux distros on everyday work.

Ended up logging on Windows more and more to do my job, ended up basically never using my Mint installation.

Baby duck syndrome.

Rather than I quickly realized that I run everything in Wine anyway and is is still not perfect solution.

The only thing I could do on Linux was ricing and browsing internet.

Jesus Christ there are tons of CS jobs everywhere. If there aren't any in your town, move. Maybe you're too lazy to go find a job. Are you unwilling to work entry level garbage for a while? If you have a degree and don't suck at your work, then you should have plenty of opportunities. Get up and go outside and find a job. Make friends, create a portfolio. A completed degree shows you have an ability to do hard work, meet deadlines, and probably have some sort of educational breadth. So you should be more than a code monkey. This isn't the degree problem, it's a you problem.

>there are tons of CS jobs everywhere
Not everyone is American. Shit sucks in Australia even in big cities

I'm Canada but I get your point. However, au.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Computer Science&l=South Australia

Just make sure you're not sitting in your basement feeling sorry for yourself and are actively seeking employment.

not once, I love my Thinkpad, mech keyboard, SSD, Linux, etc

System 76 was a short lived meme because it didn't take long before people on here called out their build quality.

I didn't get that memo until it was too late.

>If there aren't any in your town, move

This is probably the root issue for the job market troubles today. A combination of factors have led to children living with their parents until even their mid 20s, making them entirely dependent on their family. So "just moving" to a different city isn't as viable today as it was 30, 40 years ago. Especially if you are talking about big cities which have real estate prices far beyond what any entry level position could afford. So you get this cycle of despair where kids have no experience and little opportunity, stuck in a city they can't or don't want to escape from.

Of course as an outsider the obvious answer is to not live in a city you can't afford, but good luck getting that message to catch on.

One thing left out is that kids today are taught that they can do anything they want, and it will always work out. So then you have kids graduating with degrees that have zero job prospects (whether it's in their own city or globally), feeling the harsh reality that they can't actually do anything they want and succeed. In the real world, you need to get a skill that is in demand so that someone else will pay you to do it. There's no shortage of job opportunities in the world right now. There's just a shortage of job opportunities for glamorous jobs that people want. And every kid today thinks they deserve a glamorous job and that working a job they don't like is beneath them. Because they were taught since birth that it is.

Listening to Sup Forums in general didn't make me buy anything but I at least get to see how people react to tech, which helps me decide on things after taking Sup Forums with the required pinch (truckload) of salt.
For things other than watered down babby talk sponsored reviews its better than fucking youtube or google searches which yield reddit results, 99% of the time comments on those sites are even more retarded than Sup Forums.

>FX-6300
Why do you regret it?
Curious because I got one and cannot fault it at its price.

>a degree that gives them the same employment opportunities as someone who learned all of the same information online for free.

uh huh okay bud

>I couldn't figure out how to install graphics drivers

Mechanical keyboard.
>lasts for 10+ years
>muh tactical feedback
>click click click

The left arrow key on my ducky shine 3 stopped working after only 3 water spills. Useless.

do you have Parkinson's?

>wangblows vm to keep wangblows programs in a vm cuck shed
Git gud

i got my bachelors in mechanical engineering and couldn't get a job for shit because no one wants to hire people from a mediocre school without an internal referral. even applying in low population density areas that people don't want to live in didn't help. i'm now in a shit phd program because the pressure to do something was building up, so i grabbed the first turd that rolled my way.

i would quit the phd program in a heart beat if i got offered a decent position.

Do you actually use a thinkpad? Thoughts on it? Is it decent or just a meme?

No my hands are pretty steady, I'm a welder. I'm also an alcoholic. Drunken clumsiness is the cause of all the spills.

>spend tens of thousands of dollars to go to school
not in civilized countries.

get one of these if you can't hold your alcohol

>expecting burgers to spend money on things other than bullets to shoot goat fuckers
Sorry, I meant refugees

Probably trying to permanently switch from Windows to Linux. It liked it as an OS, but fuck you get just as much function out of running it in a VM on top of Windows.

Luckily I only fell for one of Sup Forums's memes, and it wasn't hardware.

I installed foobar2000

There isn't one, I always take what you faggots say with a grain of salt

>only 3 water spills
End your life.

I fell for the 16gb RAM meme meme

That's because thinkpads are built to be functional.
Macbooks are built to either load up facebook, or thermal throttle to 800mhz.

>gives them the same employment opportunities as someone who learned all of the same information online for free.
Maybe in some shithole european country but in America most places won't give you the time of day without a degree. I have a friend thats in IT and his boss is making him go back to school even though he's mostly self taught.

epik meme

Do you really have a CS degree and can't get a job? You really are an idiot

>go get that dept so you can work even harder, goy.
>t. friends boss

He'll be paid a lot more and if he refused he probably would have been fired and replaced with a college grad any way.

>CS is a meme

No it isn't and if you think otherwise you're actually retarded. In the US employers won't hire you without a degree.

If you're worried about Pajeet and Paco taking your job, vote Trump and get a degree in Computer Engineering.

If you have the degree and can't find a job in the US, you're literally brain-dead and should consider suicide.

I remember back in 2010 - 2011 there was a Sup Forums approved gaming build was circling around Sup Forums which claimed to offer more for your money. It meme'd the GTX 560 I believe.

The performance of the 560 was underwhelming as it became under powered rather, but not unexpectedly, quickly.

Other than that you are mental if you do actually listen to any one on dankchan without doing a proper background search on your own, it may or not guide you (accidentally) to new places and knowledge.

spoonfeed me, what's this meme supposed to be? there's also a non non biyori one?

>>You don't need an i7 for gaming
i5's won't last as long as i7's and you'll need to get a new motherboard to fit the modern chipset when you replace it. An i5 is fine if you like buying an entirely new PC.
>>gaming laptops aren't worth it
>$2000 for a gaming laptop
That's not why I got mine. For around $1,000, you get a gigantic library of old PC games on the go, plus breddy gud emulation. Not to mention newer titles like DiRT Rally or Rocket League that aren't as hardware intensive, but tend to be better than the AAA games some hack devs shit out. All on the go. Definitely don't buy one if you're not a college student or frequent traveler or some shit tho

Sup Forums made me believe there was talent out there. After the constant shitposting about all these low level people I just assumed that the caliber of people out there was high. After being in industry for a while I found that most people are just slightly better than the useless people that get posted here. I studied hard to catch up only to realize that industrial can't stop hiring idiots and I shot right past them. I feel alone and depressed at work since I am not doing anything challenging and have nobody at my level to talk to.

That depends on how useful he is to whoever his employer is though. The catch 22 of being self taught is knowing you have to be better then every other CS major you work with due to competition.

So wait wait wait.
You just got the chair, and dropped all that money, without even checking if you liked it?
And then blame Sup Forums?

I got a steelcase leap, and love the thing.
My postured improved, and I don't get back pain as much.
It doesn't quite feel as comfy as my old chair, but it's good enough, and I don't get pains anymore.

Also got a steelcase criterion, I like this thing quite a bit, like the leap but with more padding.

i tried linux as a desktop OS

I imagine the cost saved on the upgrade to i7 is usually enough for a new processor 4 years down the line.

Also, keep in mind the gaming laptop is an old old meme.
And it used to be very very true.
Before hybrid gpus, when every gaming laptop was a 17", 2 hour battery life at most, monster, that performed even worse than current ones do.

Many people, myself included, got burnt, and still hold that old wisdom, even though those issues (utter than size, that dedicated gpu and cooling are still going to be big, smaller than before though) have been solved.

Gaming laptops used to be an idiotic thing to get just 10 years or so ago.

Dude's family died.

Wait, Sysadmin of Gensokyo had a family? What the fuck?

Let him have his 2D, anons, 3D has not been kind to him.