Why is it considered acceptable that browsers nowadays eat up at least 1GiB of RAM...

why is it considered acceptable that browsers nowadays eat up at least 1GiB of RAM? They haven't improved significantly enough in the last 10 years to warrant that.

It's more to blame in the """""people""""" who """"""""""""code"""""""""""" I'm java an html

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How? Is that just one empty tab or something? I haven't used Firefox for a while but I'm pretty sure I'd remember if it used so little rammy ram.

Anyway this is all bollocks. My memepad has 6GBs, nothing ever pushes my usage over 2.5ish, so why would I give a shit?

>not using your RAM
>keeping your RAM idle """""""""""""""""""""in case you need it""""""""""""""""""""""

Seamonkey with 4 tabs
340 mb

this

Nigger, you've got no clue what you're talking about. Modern web browsers are exponentially more complex than they were a decade ago. The codebases Firefox and Chromium are several million lines of code each. Then you go and open up twenty tabs, all of which need to be stored in RAM, along with all sorts of other caching shit. And you're probably not helping matters yourself because you've probably got about fifty memory sucking extensions installed that were written by people that don't give a shit about your hardware requirements.

Kekd

Opera, 7 tabs open, 500 mb

Vivaldi doesn't use RAM, OP.

Not sure how many tabs I have already closed since 1hr.

It uses shills who do it FOR FREE.

>browsers nowadays eat up at least 1GiB of RAM?
I have a machine that has less than 512MB of RAM available (AMD Sempron). I use Lubuntu on that computer. I obviously can't watch HD videos on that computer. But I can browse most web sites with no issues.

I use Firefox on that computer. FF takes most of the ram when it runs. But I can use FF with other applications running.

The web is a platform for writing documents that we are bastardizing by misusing several features to create "app-like experiences".

That has quite the toll. And with every new feature that gets implemented, it will get worse.

It isn't. Stop being a fucking retard and use a proper browser, OP.

Webapps, and websites becoming more complex and bloated in general

M I D O R I
I
D
O
R
I

Meh, Midori never displays sites correctly for me. And the last time I tried it, it was crashy and slow.

8 GB of RAM is standard so it's not really a problem if the web browser is using approximately 1/8 of that.

I'm not sure that the new York city and the other day of this message is a few weeks ago and I am going to see you have a lot of this is not the new year and I am so that the way you have any questions or any attachments is not sure?

>why is it considered acceptable that browsers nowadays eat up at least 1GiB of RAM? They haven't improved significantly enough in the last 10 years to warrant that.

Says the guy who most likely has 8 GB of RAM

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

All that javascript data collection requires memory

whats a good alternative to chrome

Firefox

Yes but the browser shouldn't be in charge of allocating it all to itself. It should live on disk and rely on the kernel's buffer/cache management same as any other file access, so it can be discarded if I start some other memory-hungry app.

Yup, Android phones are proof of this.

>bloatware program takes up much more RAM than it should need
>try to start program that would logically use a lot of RAM
>have to start using swap file because bloatware is already taking up RAM so as to not "waste it"t
>upgrade RAM
>bloatware makes sure that RAM doesn't get "wasted" while not actually doing anything new and useful
>[swaping intensifies]
I'm happy my RAM isn't getting wasted right now.

>They haven't improved significantly enough in the last 10 years to warrant that.

user, go install an old version of IE or Firefox from 2006 and see how shit they are compared to modern browsers, bonus points if you do it on a 2006 WinXP machine.

tfw IE masterrace

ram is meant to be used, and if you don't have 8gb+ of ram anyway then you need to get with the times gramps.

Nice fucking quads user

>use firefox
>have a bazillion tabs open
>RAM usage gradually creeps up and up
>when it's over a gigabyte FF gets really slow and stuttery
>close all tabs but one
>memory usage doesn't decrease at all

this last thing is the part that bothers me

Why do you like IE so much?

I don't think that's too unreasonable. I just counted and apparently I have 114 tabs open and it's using 1.6GiB of RAM. I think about 20 of those are unloaded. Tree style tabs is great for organization but bad for people who hoard tabs like shekels.

Because FF and Chrome are shit

so's ur mum

nd ur couch