Can you think of a CPU more innovative and positively insane than this?

Can you think of a CPU more innovative and positively insane than this?
You can't:

>absolute beast at 5ghz
>multi-core performance trumps Haswell
>OC potential
>equipment designed for professionals and computer enthusiasts who know how to squeeze out the best from proper components, by using proper cooling
>multi-thread performance absolutely trumps anything Intel ever made

Housefire is a meme. The whole point of those processors is that they were and are powerhouses for pros not toys for idiots who use OC genie on an MSI mobo the color of a dog's dick.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hvI95wsKUD4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sparc M7.

Power8 and soon Power9

This, or anything power7 based, they were made by a bunch of madmans

Also im amazed by how much power amd could fit in such an small die at 32nm.
If you dissable cores from that thing i bet you could get an extremly power efficient compute machine, not much ipc but multi threaded applications make use of them, if amd didnt market it for "gamers" it could have sold a lot, now with vulkan and dx12 its true potential is showing.

>7nm power9

I wish the PC market would adopt cool architectures like SPARC or POWER again.

POWER8 also comes up to 5ghz in factory SKUs. It does so with 12 cores and 8 threads per core. 300w monstrous CPU that has off die cache which draws even more power. IBM's 22nm SOI did nothing to satiate POWER8's hunger.

IBM truly imagines some horrendous things.

12c/96t at 5ghz would be a beast of a chip, and a power hog to boot.

>SPARC

Total shit, not even Oracle's database appliances run on SPARC.

Hope you guys have halon fire suppression when you run those POWER servers

>cool/interesting
>RISC

IIRC arent the bulk of POWER based servers water-cooled?

No.

You are thinking about their Z mainframes, or HPC/supercomputers.

the IPC ruins it though

also it's 4 actual cores and 4 helper cores

Oracle are faggots, that's why.

SPARC was pretty fucked even before Oracle fucked it even more.

If you like SPARC you'll enjoy this video of a machine from SPARC's heydays

youtube.com/watch?v=hvI95wsKUD4

The FX-Line was the consumer line of the architecture. In fact, bulldozer was never meant for us mere consumers, and was originally designated specifically for servers and workstations in the Opteron line.
It just happened that the marketing department was hearing;
>Up to 5GHz!
>8 Cores!
, and thought it was a good idea to market them to enthusiasts and gamers because of the specs.

Fucking AMD niggers.

First off, power8/SPARC aren't crazy -- they're designed for specific purposes.

FX-9590 was supposed to be a high-end PC processor. It ended up being a pile of steaming dogshit -- a nightmare of a PC drawing over 200w of power, heating up like a pregnant baboon and delivering pretty mediocre performance for the kind of horrors the user has to go through to make it reach its "full potential".

This is what buried AMD on the processor market, you know: asinine MOAR COAR attitude carried out on outdated microarchitectures.

>SPARC was pretty fucked even before Oracle fucked it even more.
What was wrong with it?

read
AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver weren't crazy, they're designed for specific purposes.
The FX-9590 was an Opteron 8-core designed to run at up to 3.8GHz on turbo, that was pushed into the consumer market by AMD's marketing department because the engineers had results that the chips could hit stable 5GHz on engineering samples.

The integer cores in a module are identical.
It is two integer cores with a shared FPU. FPUs were never essential to X86, they are an additional accelerator.

4 module is 8 cores.
And for the record, Vishera has higher integer throughput per clock than POWER8. POWER8's strong suit is FPU throughput, they even beat intel here. Read the Anandtech reviews.

Bulldozer originally was a totally different architecture from what launched in 2011. Back in 2004/2005 AMD was talking about a brand new arch which was their highest serial and multithreaded performance design ever. The original design was actually produced, some 45nm test chips still exist somewhere, they were actually sampled to a couple vendors. Larger int cores and wider data paths in the FPU. At some point along the way it was decided that they needed a narrower core with a smaller foot print to push clocks higher. Ironically GloFo's 32nm PD-SOI couldn't deliver on those clocks for years.

The FX Centurion chips were a halo product based on *lower* binned silicon than the normal FX 8350. They're just chips validated to hit certain clocks with stupid high voltages because they couldn't hit stock 8350 clocks inside of 1.35v like the rest.

>be AMD engineer
>have a 3.8ghz 8-core chip for server use but isn't really that good
>fuck around with it at the office and do some OC
>"Oy vey boss, we have a great gaming processor for the average enthusiast, 5ghz in a jiffy, let's make some shekels"

amd, not even once

Sun backed SPARC in to a niche corner with their T1 design.

From some accounts from AMD, the engineers were telling marketing that it was a totally fucking retarded idea to put Piledriver in the consumer line. The marketing department are the ones to blame, as always is the case.

>"Oy vey boss, we have a great gaming processor for the average enthusiast, 5ghz in a jiffy, let's make some shekels"

Believe it or not, there's idiots that fell for that. I know a guy who spent £1200 ($1755.38 USD) on a prebuilt 9590 and GTX 960 build.

When I asked him why he bought it, he said that it was 8 cores at 5 GHz and Intel didn't offer anything comparable

>220W HOUSEFIRES
>Slower than Intel at stock clocks

But what was wrong with it? Unless you mean fucked from a business perspective.

I guess it wasn't a total dog of a chip but it definitely helped contribute to SPARC's death spiral.

Remember, by 2005-2006 x86-64 servers were becoming more viable for the day which certainly helped sap sales of proprietary UNIX boxes like SPARC and POWER.

Why they do this tho? It's destroying their company.

9590 is in the same bracket as a Haswell i7 for fuck sake and the only people who bought it were either extremely gullible AMD fans, idiots, or people who fell for the marketing ploy.

It's not destroying their company, it's a 5-year old chip. Anyone who actually takes it seriously is retarded and doesn't matter.
Also, the entire FX line is kind of a joke at this point. AMD just used it to hold the comsumer line over until their APU's hit the market, and now until zen.

but their APUs are shit.

To add to this, it's kind of like the 295x2 and the Pro Duo.
Absolutely enthusiast tier chip.
>"I have lots of money and like the idea of a product so hot that it needs to be watercooled and run off a personal nuclear plant."
It's not to be taken seriously by anyone who wants a computer to just work without extreme requirements.

Yeah, that was a let-down.

APUs are good enough for entry level systems, they just aren't priced accordingly. Trinity and everything after should have never been priced over $125 for the top binned chip, they don't have the CPU performance to warrant anything more.

APU's are priced to be just less than the dedicated CPU + GPU equivalent.
As CPU's they're priced too high, but as a budget component for someone that wants to play LoL and CS, they're great.

>It's not destroying their compan
Well, I think putting out on the market chips which are absolutely useless is not doing them any favours. Some FX processors weren't bad, but overall they fucked up.

>I know a guy who spent £1200 ($1755.38 USD) on a prebuilt 9590 and GTX 960 build.

They're for this guy
Otherwise, just treat them as a practical joke to part retards from their money and laugh.

GOOD GOY

he probably watches Tek Syndicate. It's the most impartial source of tech info on the planet.

The sad thing is the place he bought it from had some solid builds for the same budget but he went full retard on the custom configuration tool. Few weeks ago he ended up buying a 390, again which is fucking retarded considering all the new GPUs coming out recently.

>Few weeks ago he ended up buying a 390
A true AMD fan right there.

>Can you think of a CPU more innovative and positively insane than this
Sandy Bridge
>absolute beast at 5ghz
Clock speeds aren't everything, especially when 5.0GHz FX eight core can't even touch a 4 core i7-5775C at 3.5Ghz
>multi-core performance trumps Haswell
No it doesn't.
>OC potential
At almost twice the power consumption, the heat, and only 3/4 of the power of an Intel CPU.
At stock.
>equipment designed for professionals and computer enthusiasts who know how to squeeze out the best from proper components, by using proper cooling
The motherboard isn't even properly cooled on AM3+ motherboards. I can't even begin to describe how hot that northbridge gets. Also
>2012
>still having a northbridge
>multi-thread performance absolutely trumps anything Intel ever made
No it doesn't. A Haswell i7 will still murder an FX-9590 in multi-threaded programs, shaving between 30 seconds to a full five minutes according to Anandtech.

The Mill

What kind of niche corner was that? Most of what you would do with SPARC iron was usually multithreaded to begin with. If anything, I would imagine emphasizing on extreme parallelism like they did starting with the T series kept SPARC somewhat relevant.

The FX line is shit. A dual core i3 recks it