Did Apple products from the 2000's do anything better than today? Was Apple actually any better of a company?

Did Apple products from the 2000's do anything better than today? Was Apple actually any better of a company?

Other urls found in this thread:

xquartz.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They definitely looked much better.

Is it just Iphones they always focus on nowadays?

No and no.

>Apple
nice meme

>Literally the only good apple keyboard

>Did Apple products from the 2000's do anything better than today?
Be more Unix friendly. When I got another Apple computer after I got rid of my PowerMac G5, I noticed they got rid of X11...the fuck.

That depends, what's "better"?

Functionally: Their systems were more expandable and/or easier to upgrade (Macintosh upgrade vendors especially beat the shit out of anything PC side, you could throw real G3s into first-gen Power Macs like it was nothing, all you got for a Pentium system from the same era was a low-end chip from the next generation lazily shoehorned into your socket at two times the price)

Aesthetically: Every new generation of the iMac, Power Mac, et al. (and even sub-generations) featured some kind of noticeable aesthetic difference, Apple regularly refreshed their hardware and software design. Nowadays they've sold the same old iMac and MacBook Pro since what, 2009? They just make it a little thinner occasionally. The Mac Pro was practically unmodified from the G5 until they turned it into an unexpandable trashcan-shaped husk of what it once was and haven't even thrown new hardware into it since they released it three years ago.

Marketing: Apple's product line feels bloated as fuck again; three different kinds of iPad, all kinds of iMac/MacBook variants, it's shit. You can shit on Jobs all you want, but throwing Apple's entire lineup into the trash and starting all over again was the best thing he did: one desktop for professionals, one for consumers, one laptop for professionals, and so on. Simplicity is grand.

>m-muh benchmarks
Not everything is really about big numbers, though I'm not even going to try do deny that the G5 was very disappointing, it was still a decent enough chip and didn't have much difficulty handling what was needed of it.

>unexpandable
Untrue, although why it's not dual socket is beyond me.

Yes, they were PowerPC machines.

Apple's wired extended keyboard is better than reds, blacks, blues, and browns.

I love my iMac G4. I have taken extremely well care of it and still have the original box along with everything it came with.

17" 1440x900
1.25GHz G4
320GB 7200RPM
2GB 333MHz
AirPort + Bluetooth
Mac OS X 10.5.8

No one cares Pajeet.

xquartz.org/

You have to download it now.

Quit the shitty meme, nobody's getting paid to shill 15 year old hardware.

I know, that's shitty. It takes away nothing from the UX to just have it installed, so I don't see why they decided to do that.

You're right, kind of, I was more referring to internal expansion.

I don't find thunderbolt a very good solution, it totally misses the point of the form factor and adds complexity where it isn't needed, I think it would have done way better as a traditional tower design more emphasized on media production with a ton of disk/SSD bays and better I/O.

I care, user. G4s are nice, especially DDR ones.

They were a computer company back then. Their workstations and servers adhered to some sort of standard. OSX, Final Cut Pro, and Aperture were actively being worked on. Fast forward to today. Everything is dead. iOS, iPhone, and iPad is the only thing they care about. Tim Cook must be great in the sack because all he does is suck.

I agree. Thunderbolt should have provided expansion beyond internal, not replace it. The Mac Pro is way less than it could be, but it is expandable.

My biggest issue with it is that it isn't dual socket. They could have even just made it a bit taller to fit a second CPU, given the heatsink a bit more surface area, and that would have been it.

I can agree with you, especially with the Macs they make nowadays.

I never was a huge fan of Jobs, but I just don't like Cook at all...

I've actually been interested in getting an IMac G4, are they still good? Can they still run all the new software and shit we have today?

Totally, you'd think they'd leverage their captive audiences a little better, but I guess since Jobs' second coming Apple has done everything in their power to shake off whatever professional/enterprise user base they have left.

The newest ones are about 12 years old now and will obviously not run software or operating systems for Intel systems.

There's still a huge software base for PPC systems nonetheless, both on OS X and OS 9, including active browsers and other projects to keep them useful online.

I keep a high-end first generation 800 MHz/17'' model on my desk mostly for running Mathematica and working on my server via SSH, it runs well enough for offline/basic network stuff like that but it's a pain on the web thanks to god awful SDRAM, whose idea was it to still ship a PC100/133 system in two thousand fucking two? Make sure you grab a DDR model, it would probably be alright as long as you aren't into bloated stuff like YouTube.

You could easily use a PowerPC machine as a daily driver as long as you know what you're doing

OS X has had some really good phases.

Earliest Apple device I owned was a 2006 MacBook Pro. It was a 13 inch with an Intel processor and was white. Only updated to OSX 10.7.5 mountain lion. I loved it. Fast forward to November of last year I bought a MacBook Pro 13 inch expecting the same wonderful experience I had before. OSX El Capitan is completely poo in loo. Nothing works the same and all the colors are too bright and overwhelming. I ended up getting frustrated and disappointed so I sold it and bought a used thinkpad. That's now my everyday computer and I even installed OSX Mavericks on it which is a million times better than the new faggot shit they're currently putting out.

I want that to come back to Apple. There's too much useless shit. Also they really fucked up OS X.

I don't get all the hate for El Capitan, I used 10.0 - 10.5 and jumped to 10.9 - now. It's not the best but by no means is it bad

10.5 > 10.4 >10.11 >10.9 >10.10 >10.3 >10.2 >10.1 >10.0

Nice blog Pajeet.

It's laggy af senpai.

Works better than Yosemite or Mavericks. Yosemite was the laggy one.

Apple has come pretty far since then, I think they have a 2 button mouse now

The only issue I've had with Mavericks is that damn wake from sleep bug.

>running the pajeet meme into the ground using it as some abstract form of shill in the context of "I don't like this thing but someone else does so I'll accuse them of being paid to do it"
Why is Sup Forums the Facebook of Sup Forums? Is it because Sup Forums posters don't know how to do anything but regurgitate words that were funny once when they finally trickle out of boards that still know how to be funny and original?

>no one has had any problem with pajeet meme for forever
>applel goes full poo in loo
>applel PR SJWs start crawling out of the woodwork
>DAS RACIS!!! FUCK OFF!!!

Guess we finally found out who the real poo in loos are.

>you must be pajeet xd
What a totally unexpected reply.

Don't you ever wonder what it would be like to actually write a post by yourself longer than one or two sentences?

Don't you ever wonder what it would be like to post like you aren't on Reddit?

How many rupees per post does applel pay you Rajeesh?

Yawn.

I bet you're a real hit at parties.

Of course. Apple has always been superior to the competition. PeeCee is for autists and LAGdroid is for poorfags.

OS X was light years ahead of Windows. It had fucking compositing windows in 2002, while it took until 2007 for it to show up in Vista.
Not to mention features like pic related which Windows only just got in 2014.

PAJEET MY SON

Man you're so original.

So are you a self hating shitskin or 13 years old?

you win this time...

It's entirely possible that he's financially doing the proper thing. They need to kill off OSX and move iOS to the desktop though. They also need to kill their laptops and have just one desktop. There is no coherency right now. Make the iPad function like a laptop with keyboard and mouse attached. As much as I laugh at Microsoft for Windows 10, they have the right idea for one OS that spans across cellphone, tablet, desktop, and server. Their execution and pulling of telemetry data which they give no option to opt out on is where they failed miserably.

>They need to kill off OSX and move iOS to the desktop though
Congratulations user, you've made the most retarded post of the year

>computer needs to be managed by other computer

Pre-Snow Leopard OSX was pretty cool, and in some ways the hardware design was better (for it's time) than Apple today. Macs were never really "better" than PCs at any time, but there was some truth to the saying that they were more effective for designers/artists back in those days.

It's all gone downhill since they started focusing on "apps", becoming a DRM distribution platform for music and movies, creating expensive Facebook machines, focusing on iOS/iPhone/iPod rather than computers, etc.

It would be interesting if someone modded that thing. Does a mini ITX fit in that thing?

>Apple
nice meme

They streamlined the OS a few versions ago, took away things like including every printer driver known to man and instead downloading on a case-by-case basis.

I'd say Ive's is possibly becoming more of a burden than an asset. His thin fetish is compromising performance and it would be nice for Apple to go in a new direction in terms of design.

Ive's designs used to be fun and exciting, now it's just refining the same old designs and trying to shave a few mm off them.

I don't know if they were a better company, but they where by far a more interesting one.

OS X was solid while Windows had disasters like Vista.

iTunes was revolutionary for the Music Industry, it helped for lesser known bands to become more popular and music became more accessible and cheaper in general.

Now it's normal for people to like that weird indie band that makes the music you like, which is a good thing.

The iPhone was the first big bet that mainstream people could actually benefit from having powerful phones with rich apps powered by the same backbone of a regular computer. And to be honest if it wasn't for the popularity of the iphone, things like android would probably wouldn't be where they are today. I don't like iOS but I agree with the all smartphones today are basically iphone clones.

Apple hasn't done much this current decade, and they seriously lack on all the popular future technologies department: Their cloud services suck, no VR nor AR projects to be seen... They just seem to not be making anything new or exciting.

The Apple Watch is a failure, in terms of design and functionality. The new big iphones don't play well with iOS design.

Doing it right takes a little more involvement than it's worth, let alone what the average half-ass on Sup Forums can put up.

Apple was only good in the 80s and mid 90s.

One word: clover

just make a hackintosh/dual boot

Apple was never good.

>Did Apple products from the 2000's do anything better than today?
Yes, they were actually still trying. Watch a keynote from that era. They were fucking years and years ahead of the competition back then. OS X did things Microsoft copied five years later. iMacs were fast machines.They brought in new technologies that were beneficial for the user, bold stuff, stuff we take for granted now. They were never the first, but they just did it when they felt it was the right moment, usually many years before their competitors felt it was safe.

Now it's just iteration after iteration. Mostly those iterations are too late and too little. Everything that made Apple stand out back then is copied now by other manufacturers and usually cheaper. Back then Apple could actually justify the high price point, now you can buy a mac mini for 2000 bucks with the hardware of a 500 bucks computer. It's ridiculous.

Hey OP, I got one of those macs :D

Everything they produced pre-Jobs after they murdered Snow White was shit.

Their 68k gear was great, no matter how mad you are that your mom uses an iPhone.

/thread

Apple was always shit tier garbage marketed at gullible morons.

Sup Forums has tried to bait this thread like 5 times now and has failed
why did you even bother

Apple peaked late 2000s. more specifically 2007-09. They perfected the iPod video, the best music player ever made. OS X Snow Leopard which is the only decent OS since Windows XP. They came out with the MacBook Pro which they haven't changed since and everyone is trying to copy. Their aluminum iMacs and Mac minis were actually upgradable and looked decent.

Then they came out with the iPhone and became the modern rollex, with all the other companies copying then. Then to really rub poo in the wound, Steve Jobs died and Apple hired thousands indians like Microshit and Googloo.

Applel PR have tried to blogshit circlejerk these threads for years now and always fail.
Why did you even bother?

Your dumbed down toddler toys will never belong on any technology site.

ok

How much does Microsoft pay you to shill pejeet?

How much does Applel pay you to make these threads Rajeesh?

How much does Microshit pay you to make these threads Rajeesh?

>iMacs were fast machines.
I'm gonna call bullshit on that one, after dailying a couple over the last two years. They may have been fine for their time, but they really show their gimping with age. iMacs were always a generation behind, running older CPUS, GPUs, and RAM standards that really hobble them, especially the slower RAM. My G4/800 could barely multitask or handle an imageboard with JavaScript turned on, on a Pentium 4 system from the same era I can run circles around it, especially if it used RDRAM.

>Your dumbed down toddler toys will never belong on any technology site.
The best thing about this post is that I bet you're a Windows user, as are 90% of the feeble minded children on this board who've never so much as opened a real terminal in their lives and don't know how to do anything other than regurgitate memes to get attention.

>calling out shills is shilling

>thinks microsoft pays people to make applel threads

Has using applel trash for so long turned what little brain matter you had into mush?

>Was Apple actually any better of a company?
No. And over a decade later they still pull this bullshit.

>Also they really fucked up OS X.

I'm not happy with some changes to X, but it's miles better then WinShit.

I liked XP, 7, and servers 2003-2008. Win8 is shit and Win10 is shit w/botnet. Fuck Microsoft.

>install loonix!

Not if you need some of the larger commercial applications.

I'm calling bullshit on that article. The PowerPC G5 was very sensitive to compiler and optimization settings, and they probably called those choices "cheating."

Also: wouldn't you want HT off in a benchmark test? I would think HT would negatively impact a benchmark even though it's great for real world work.

I recall working on both at the time and the G5 was faster than the P4. Granted it could take down the power grid while setting your house on fire, but it was fucking fast. The problem was that you needed a G5 optimized binary to really exploit it. Aside from new features like AltiVec in the G4, CPU-specific optimizations were never that significant with prior PPC chips.

>2000's applel
>bomb crash if you breathe wrong
>system error 11
>quack loop crash

>2010's applel
>botnet
>scan and delete user files
>spies on everything you type and cucks you by sending it to Bing
>widespread freezing and crashing

>still overcharging for this garbage like they always have

Seems they really haven't changed.

The web feels sluggish on my TiBook G4 and Power Mac G5...but it is usable on both, with the exception of any sites that require modern plugins.

I've often thought that a small to medium business could save a shit ton by outfitting a bunch of G5's with older but still fully functional software from Macintosh Garden. No reason why you couldn't do ad layouts, for example, on those machines today.

Do you SSD? IMHO Windows 7 was laggy af without a SSD. This happened to OS X around 10.9 or 10.10.

Modern commercial OSes don't take very well to HDDs. I don't know what the fucking problem is or why they're paging constantly, even with 8-16gb of RAM.

Ah, going the windows route I see!

Other than copyright law, buying used means you don't get support, so if something fails for whatever reason you're SOL. It's also not very easy to find old G5s in bulk lots.

Only thing I like from apple is OS X. OS X showcases how good BSD can be when it's done right, actually has good driver support and is meant for desktop use.

>Even athlon XP...
As a blatant intel fanboy, I must point out that the p4 was awful and the athlon was far, FAR superior. If the p4 beat the g5, you can bet the athlon did too.

>macshit OS
>done right

Why lie so much are you poor? Imacs are just a little thinner now? More like your dick is thin.

>how do i poo in loo?
>ASP.NET is best

> Apple is the company that doesn't spy on your messages
> encrypts them not even other companies can't
> doesn't try to sell you things when you search (even linux does this)
> doesn't replace your lock screen with full screen ads

your cuckhold levels are to the extreme

>Macs were never really "better" than PCs at any time, but there was some truth to the saying that they were more effective for designers/artists back in those days.

I would rather have just about any Mac from the 1980's / early 1990's than a PC. Windows was shit until 95, and even then a PIA compared to Mac OS.

Late 90's Macs get a bad rap but really they were just over priced with a smaller advantage in the OS.

This guy is on the right track. It used to be a sekrit klub now its not. Theyre very successful so critics are just trendy posers.

>> Apple is the company that doesn't spy on your messages
How much does applel pay you to lie Pajeet?

>> doesn't try to sell you things when you search
>this is what iCucks actually believe

Literally applel AND ms double botnet.

>I'm gonna call bullshit on that one, after dailying a couple over the last two years. They may have been fine for their time, but they really show their gimping with age. iMacs were always a generation behind, running older CPUS, GPUs, and RAM standards that really hobble them, especially the slower RAM. My G4/800 could barely multitask or handle an imageboard with JavaScript turned on, on a Pentium 4 system from the same era I can run circles around it, especially if it used RDRAM.

The 601 / 603e / 604e machines were better than their PC counterparts. But not by wide margins.

The G3, with a superior design and superior L2 cache, legitimately beat the snot out of the Pentium II (famous snail commercial flashbacks). The first iMacs were fast as fuck. I remember going from a 603e to a G3 and thinking "holy fuck." Felt faster than a PC I bought a year later.

The G4 was decent when it was introduced, but then the entire PowerPC line stalled. Motorola didn't want to invest in new desktop chips so they kept regurgitating the G4 with the same bus interface, hence the same slow memory. IBM finally built a G5 based on their POWER line, and the G5 kicked ass, but was never going to be in a notebook. Nor was there going to be a G6, G7, etc. at the pace Intel could afford.

Hence the move to Intel.

>Other than copyright law,

No one besides EA cares. They figure if you're downloading PPC software it's for nostalgia or you're too poor to afford the modern version. It would literally never come up.

>buying used means you don't get support, so if something fails for whatever reason you're SOL.

But the hardware and software is known. Your failures would be dead hardware which costs $50 to replace.

>It's also not very easy to find old G5s in bulk lots.

True.

>FBI literally suing Apple and running to Israeli hackers to try and get iPhone contents
>"hurr durr Apple spies on you"

Fuck off.

>scans every file on your drive and deletes it if it competes with them
>hurr durr apel dozen spy on me

Fuck off mactoddler.

Lol no lanox mentioned

2 rupees have been deposited in your shit wiping hands Rajeesh.

>stuff that does not happen
>the post

>mactard delusions
>the post

>the government is the only evil entity that exists
topkek
I'd be more scared of a company like Apple or Google spying on me tbdesu.
Our government is at least subject to an independent commissioner. Google and Apple avoid such close scrutiny.

An article was literally posted that proved that it happened.

MOST of my iTunes is unpurchased content / content from other sources.

Not one file missing.

If you could take off your tin foil hat for 5 seconds you might be able to tell the difference between a legitimate bug and botnet.

Now if you want to bitch about Apple bugs, I'm all ears. Shit has gone down hill since Jobs died.

But respect for end user privacy and security? It seems like nobody but Apple gives a shit (in the commercial world).

>it's not a botnet i-it's just a bug that appel intentionally coded!

Fuck off Pajeet.

>Macs were never really "better" than PCs at any time
Nobody ever chose a PC based on sheer technical merit, actually the platforms success is based more on brand loyalty than the Macintosh, whose hardware and software base was workstation-class in the 68k and early PPC eras.

While IBM was just barely making color and graphics mainstream on the PC platform and Windows was an unusable piece of trash, the Macintosh was entrenched in publishing as the king of all things 2D (next to cost-no-object niche UNIX platforms of course), and a Mac II would run circles around a braindead 286 AT clone all day long.

The OS itself was a much better alternative to anything on the PC, not only in software but in general usability. For example, my Quadra 700 can run as many monitors as I can stuff cards into it right out of the box with minimal configuration, I can't even run two on my $12,000 NT workstation that left the factory 5 years later. My IIfx can handle 24-bit color while my PS/2 M70 from the same year can't even display above 16 colors at a usable resolution.

The platform survived for a reason, and it was more than a nice looking logo.

>An article was literally posted that proved something happened
>just not what i claimed

iTunes bugs have resulted in deleted music for some users. This is not botnet or Apple spying or conspiritard shit.

If you're too stupid to tell the difference go to Sup Forums.