amazon.com/Dell-Enhanced-Black-Keyboard-SK-8115/dp/B00496FELQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Decisions, decisions..

is the coolermaster novatouch any good?

what wooden part is missing?

still waiting

That's wood stain, not wood parts.

dark walnut is pretty

Having a keyboard that matched my SG would be pretty cool.

My number row 2 key broke. It only works if I push it down at an angle. Is there any way to fix this or is my keyboard just dying? It's like 4 years old at this point

You can always resolder a new switch on. Shouldn't be too hard.

Am I doomed to buy cherry if I want to customise my keycaps? I'm not a big fan of cherry switches in general, but all other switches either have little to no keycaps or they're impossible to find. What the heck??

Sounds like a broken solder joint. Just open it up and resolder the joint and you should be just dandy.

Ever considered Kailh or Gateron?

It doesn't have to be cherry, but you'll be restricted to mx-style switches.

Or you can get a novatouch.

I don't want kalith. Dunno about gateron but aren't they just a cherry clone like the 999999999 ones out there?

I use my numpad way too much to go TKL, bummer.

They're a whole lot smoother than cherries since they use a softer plastic.

I don't know how to solder and don't have any equipment to do so either

gaterons really are better than cherry

Soldering is easy as shit, especially with something as simple as this and you can pick up a soldering iron and some solder in just about any hardware store or on the internet for 10 bucks or so.

How do I know if it is a broken solder point? Can you see it visually?

Depends on how large the fault is, but judging by your description I'm already quite sure it's a dead solder joint. There's not really much else that would cause such behaviour.

what do you guys think about linear switches? i'm a fan of light switches and i ordered my new board with reds (coming from browns which i like).

Linears are nice. I'd be typing on my 35g gateron clears right now if it weren't for the fact that either the hardware or the firmware or both are doing some really weird shit and I can't be bothered to troubleshoot it.

are 35g gaterons lighter than mx reds?

mx reds are 45g, so yes, they are lighter than mx reds. 10 grams lighter to be exact.

By mx browns are chatter as fuck

solutions? I hear it is inevitable with these switches.

If I liked brown a lot what would you suggest for my next keyboard?

What do you mean with chatter?

thhhhis sort of shhhhhhit

only with certain keys

Not necessarily, I believe cherry and gateron calculate their forces differently.

>If I liked brown a lot what would you suggest for my next keyboard?
amazon.com/Dell-Enhanced-Black-Keyboard-SK-8115/dp/B00496FELQ
This should be a nice step up from Browns.

Oh, keychatter.

Your best guess be to replace the affected switches.

As for your next keyboard, I would suggest anything else than browns. If you don't mind things on the heavy side, get clears. If you want something just as light, get reds. If you want something that's light and tactile and don't mind noise, get blues. If none of those sound appealing to you I'd suggest you get a switch tester and find out for yourself.

Admittedly, I don't know if they're exactly 10 grams lighter, but at least that's what the named weighting suggests. I'd have to go dig up a force curve of gateron switches to confirm that.

But I can certainly tell you that they're lighter than mx reds. I have all of the switches mentioned in this post right at hand.

I hate them. I would use a membrane keyboard over a linear switch keyboard.

I just bought a 60% RGB bluetooth 4.0 gateron keyboard for $57. Did I get scammed?

That seems like quite a decent price for a bluetooth 60%, let us know how you like it once it arrives

please help, is this a model m? (IBM-PS1 computer)

looks like a model m2

thank you.
what would be a fair price to offer for just the board? he is looking to get 130€ for the full set.

I couldn't say on the full set, sorry mate.

I would guess something like $50-75 for the keyboard alone, but you could have a look through ebay/craigslist to see if there's any for sale to compare prices.

Craptastic photo, and I am missing the 6 key until it gets replaced but these caps are alright

thank you, appreciate it. i have always wanted to try buckling springs so i might buy this board just to try them out.

Vortex is cloning SA profile! BASED CHING CHONGS.

SA profile is fucking shit and for ledditors with no taste in either looks or feel.

nah it looks great

Yeah exactly. Fucking meme caps

No, many people who have used it have said that it does not feel as good as a HHKB topre or a Realforce, but the sliders are probably worth harvesting IMO, chuck em in a HHKB and throw some cherry profile on it and call it a day

>everything I don't like/can't afford is a meme!

This is a fuckin lie. They don't use softer plastic dipshit. They have smoother molds. Much newer and less rough than that shit cherry has been using for 2000 years.

Source: I have eyes. I look at both stems. Also, I talk to Zeal

>I need my legends to be retardedly massive

They'll also feel a lot lighter than cherry because they are smoother.

>profile
>legends

Did you lube your zealios? If so, do you think it's worth it to do it?

Been considering it, and need to know if I should order some lube.

Nope, pretty usual price for chinkshit keyboard w/ gaterons. Don't expect the quality of the case/keycaps/pcb to be good though

>Also, I talk to Zeal
can you ask him why his stems are fucking undersize compared to cherry and other gaterons?

no, i removed the zeals in my filco because the sa caps wobbled to much
i'm really prefering gateron browns

fuck taking switches apart
thats tedious af

That keyboard is not buckling springs, and its not worth $50 let alone 75. I'd pay 5 maybe 10 for that POS.

Check the geekhack classifieds/mechmarket and put a WTB thread up for a model M. I got mine for 50 AUD which is about all they are worth and then bolt modded it myself.

In my opinion, Model M is really shit, but apparently Model F feels a lot better.

It is kinda a board that everyone has to try but I would not be so concerned to go out of your way to try it though.

Love typing on reds, but I make more mistakes thanks to being easy to press. I have a cheap keyboard that allows me to hotswap, so eventually I'll just try blacks.

No, I have tried them. That's why I think they are a meme. There was a reason why no one had them made and they fell out of existence 20 years ago

>That keyboard is not buckling springs

It is tho.

>can you ask him why his stems are fucking undersize compared to cherry and other gaterons?

Sure can, I never noticed that before. What batch do you have?

Model M 2?

Looked it up, it is, which I didn't know. But still doesn't look very nice

like switch preference, that's entirely subjective, isn't it.

78g
but gateron tactile clears are identical, and i've seen people praising that it's a good thing that they fit loose as fuck

i don't much like them

>But still doesn't look very nice

Yeah, its not nice at all. It has no plate, bucklign springs are mounted on top of the plastic case only.

hype.

Well yeah, it seems kinda weird, especially considering that gateron make their switches a fair bit more dust tight than cherry, hence clearance issues with LEDs. A lot of people smoke in China while using their keyboard and ash was getting in the switches so gateron decided to make them nice and tight.

Kinda counterproductive in retrospect. And zeal said there isn't an actual reason, and that he'd be addressing that in the future.

I find SA to be much less comfortable to type on as well, which is why I don't really like it

And I liked the look of them originally but as I got more and more into keyboards etc.. I foundj cherry to be much better looking

Yeah, wouldn't get that board. I'd really like a Model M SSK with the model F mod. Looks really nice. Would love to get a Industrial but those are pretty hard to come by

I just got my first mechanical keyboard, friends! I'm absolutely in love with how it feels when I type on this thing! ;A;

sorry for the shitty camera quality though, my phone's camera isn't that great

i want to learn japanese entirely so i can buy these keycaps
they look so fucking good

90% of Japanese people type in romaji.

Where's the best place to get an odd number of 1u and 1.5u cherry keycaps?
I'm not too picky on material, just looking to get enough to complete a set for an ergodox-like board I'm making.
So far I've found wasdkeyboards and pimpmykeyboard, but they both offer caps either individually for at least $1 each or worse.
Is there any other place I could get a better deal, since I'm buying in bulk?

>learn an entire language just to buy keycaps
Are you fucking stupid?
If you like the way they look just fucking buy them.
Don't be a retard about it.

Uh what the fuck is Massdrop doing with Pulse? It shipped from SP on the 25th and Massdrop still hasn't given an update or a ship date. What the fuck is going on?

noob here. why is the cherry browns babbys first switch. does it mean it is bad? I can choose between blue and brown. Going to use it for gaming (csgo mainly).

yeah you get browns because you read some reddit post that says reds are best for gaymen and blues are best for typing, but browns are a perfect compromise between both!
so you get that, because that totally makes sense
then you live in happy ignorance with your browns, that feel perfectly fine, until you buy a switch tester out of curiosity and realize you've made a mistake

ok, i'm just telling exactly what happened to me, but imagine i'm not the only one :'^

hmm is there anywhere where I can try out a switch tester for free?

if there is, i don't know it

what was your favourite switch after testing?

browns are affordable topre really. If you want a rubber dome clone then get browns over anything else.

it's not that expensive to just buy a switch tester iirc. I think I spent about 18usd from wasd and just went from there. I'm kinda glad I did it since I wasn't sure if I liked mx clears or greens when that tester came in. Especially since browns and reds felt so mushy for me, and blues didn't really feel all that great either. I mean, of course, ymmv, but I ended up with mx greens after seeing a wasd code on ebay for really cheap.

I'm seriously thinking about buying another keyboard with mx clears for work now because of that tester.

gateron brown
entirely different feeling to cherry brown

?
How so?

i don't even understand how one can be so wrong

that's just, wow

the slider is smoother an the tactile actuation point is higher

i have both on this board, cherry browns on the number pad because i ran out of gaterons
cherry are scratchy and mushy in comparison

I fucking hate topre, but that statement is objectively wrong. Not because Topre feel much better than browns, but because they are really different.

i have them and i am learning japanese
there is no use for these in japanese
a jis layout keyboard is used for typing in japanese but youd most likely use an ime for typing on a ansi keyboard or something

my old ps2 mechanical keyboard from 20 years ago feels better than any of the cherry ones. how do i find out what switch it is?

googling really hard

Pull a cap or at least post a picture.

took a night shot
really nice tonight. put my air conditioner in my room instead of the living room so im cool af now
i hope my roommates dont get too warm now

interesting, thanks

if you like them get them
i have them and they are really nice
but they are just for aesthics not for jp

MX Brown was literally an attempt by Cherry to replicate Topre.

Fuck knows why anyone who buys a mech wants a rubber dome feel but that's why browns were made.

>MX Brown was literally an attempt by Cherry to replicate Topre.
Then it was a bad attempt

>Fuck knows why anyone who buys a mech wants a rubber dome feel but that's why browns were made.
Always wondered that too.