Pi/linux

currently balls deep with a raspberry pi. I'm really enjoying it as an introduction to linux.

CLI is so good!!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

adafruit.com/products/2465
abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio/examples.html#Python_pot_cap_py
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thanks for the blog post, faggot.
Sage.

sukk my arse

Fun project idea for you:

- Pi Zero
- Lipo battery
- 3.3v to 5v booster & charger: adafruit.com/products/2465
- Wifi dongle

Basically, cut the power consumption as low as you can go, make it a Wifi access point, and write some basic daemons in C to monitor the battery pack voltage via the GPIO through an RC charging circuit. I get six hours out of mine so far.

Currently have it mounted in a 3-ring binder. Working on getting it compact enough to fit in a wallet. Also working on a web interface (python + Django) for controlling the wifi and starting/stopping various network services, and a small oled display to show basic status.

Fun times.

>monitor the battery pack voltage via the GPIO through an RC charging circuit
How do you do this?

I didnt realize Sup Forums was a blog site like tumblr

cheers brah

>using a shitty gimmick device to learn loonix instead of dualbooting or even using a vm
shongy dongy doogy doo

What's the storage situation right now?

I have a 1st gen Model B that rapes any sd card I use for the OS in a matter of days. The only way to use that PoS reliably was to use the sd-card as a pure bootloader and run the OS from a USB drive.

Has this improved in any way? What are common ways to use more reliable storage devices for the OS?

Dumb sageposter

For dummies: measure voltage.
Long explanation: You need to step shit down and not short circuit the battery, so you have to create a proper circuit.

>What are common ways to use more reliable storage devices for the OS?
Just set it up read only.

I have a 2B running kodi 24/7 since january.
I do monthly backups of the SD and that' s the only downtime it gets.
No problems so far.

When you overclock, the potential for SD card corruption is there. That's never going to change.

>balls deep
h o t

I have a Orange Pi one with ubuntu i keep meaning to finish setting up

should've gotten a pro man

Couldn't find it, and it was only 20$ with the charger and a UHS class 1 Samsung MicroSD card for the OS, i plan on hooking up a external 2.5 inch drive for backups for the computers in my house, and possibly use it as a torrent box. Hopefully 512MB of RAM would stifle my attempts

The power boost boards from Adafruit have pinouts directly from the battery. A 3.3v lipo fully charged outputs around 4v I think...so you have to do a voltage divider to not fry the GPIO.

Basically you use this to charge up a capacitor. Use the pi GPIO to measure when the capacitor hits GPIO_HI. This will take longer as the battery loses its charge.

You need to use something fast, not python. OS time sharing will screw up you measurements. C libraries and examples here: abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio/examples.html#Python_pot_cap_py

Or you could just by an analog-to-digital converter for $5...but where's the fun in that?

Got my first Pi three years ago, and had it hidden under a desk plugged into the router.

Spent months SSH'd into it from my iPad. Reading man pages, learning everything about the command line, tweaking things, screwing things up. Learning vi, samba, setting up a raid array of throw away USB flash drives, learning python...all CLI.

My wife thought I had an internet addiction. I finally showed her the hidden computer, and that I was actually learning Unix. She thought I was nuts.

I still don't feel like I'm really using a computer unless I'm on my raspberry pi.

I currently run a raspberry pi 1B as a webserver. Gloriously slow as fuck. But it works well enough for its 1 visitor a month

voltage.. derp

Is the pi3 strong enough for watching 720p anime with kodi and mpv?

What OS/ROM should I install on the RPi3 if I just want a simple video file player? OpenELEC is obviously the go-to, but it looks more like a "media" center which seems silly and bloated. I literally just want a basic interface (preferably one that can be controlled by a 360 gamepad) to browse the folders on a USB hard drive and play files.

With that being said, I do also need the RPi3 to be able to play VC-1 files, in case you need a specific OS to use the VC-1 hardware encoding.

Lipo voltage drops over time as you use up charge. You can use it to gauge how many mili amp hours you have left.