/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/soundtrue_around-ear/page.html
graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=2361&scale=30
aliexpress.com/item/Luxury-Stereo-Earphone/32474867642.html
pastebin.com/CCQCUv5e
gearbest.com/headsets/pp_270782.html
mega.nz/#!U0JUELLJ!MG9RbjR4ggtw9wel1dDcWsF_jTkGyTn_Le8rwq01BUw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Budget
$70
>Location
US
>Source
computer/iphone
>Preferred type of headphone
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
semi important
>Preferred music
all musics mostly rap
>Past headphones
none

I'm probably going to do the earpad mod on the SHP9500's. What earpads will make the headphones sound warmer and bassier, so that they can suit my EDM and hip hop bass needs?

Is the XBA-A3 worth the money?

Q701 came in today, which amp should i buy
i'm kinda poor

>Budget
$30
>Location
Argentina, looking to buy from chinese sites or worldwide Amazon shipping
>Source
Phone, laptop
In-ears
>Comfort level
Ideally I should be able to wear the things for 1hr+ or fall asleep with them on without risking danger to my ear canals
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral, defined, would rather pick up subleties than get booming bass
>Preferred music
Post-rock, pop-punk, vocal-heavy (rap, but think Aesop Rock), some electronica and chiptune
>Past headphones
Looking to replace a pair of Klipsch Image S2s that have served me well but have a shitty cable and shitty joints in the cable. Have used Microsoft headsets and some Sony headphones but nothing expensive.

New in-ears should ideally be able to take some abuse (sticking them in a pocket once in a while, rather than having to always stuff them back into a case), sit flat against my ears, have a cable that'll endure untangling and being pulled under clothing. I'd like to try foam tips, but that's just a bonus (do in-ears have standard tip sizes?)

I REALLY like the look of the Mee Audio M6 (Clear White) and wonder if those would fit my music tastes, or if there are similar inears that would. Others I've been considering are the Xiaomi Piston 3, KZ-ATE and Panasonic Ergofit.

I think I fucked up my HD280s. I changed the pads and removed some disintegrating-ish foam around wholes surrounding the speaker. Anyways, they sound completely lifeless compared to my MDRV6s.

> 30$
> Expecting to get anything shipped all the way to argentina for 30$
Try looking for a pair of Sennheiser HD202
They're normalfag headphones and you can find them in most music stores.

I can get any of the inears I've listed to my door for $35 or less, unlike a pair of HD202 which would run me $60 locally or about that much shipped and taxed.

> 60$ for the HD202 locally
Jesus fuck what a shithole country

Help my new headphones hurt my head. How do I break them in?

I seem to recall them having a V-shape profile, like almost every hybrid IEM design ever.
I never like saying value for money, I also don't like V-shaped tonality.

Mee M6 and the KZ are super bassy.
If the Panasonic Ergofit model is the HJE120, that's also really bass heavy.
Piston 3 has less of a bass boost, but it is still there.

Spread them like your mom's pussy.

That's pretty good.

But also actually any tips? (No puns on the word tips please)

>HJE120
Should read hje125

just bought a used schiit stack, hopefully this is my last audio purchase for a long time

who else SUPER COMFY here?

honestly just wear them, after 1 week they should break in. I remember upgrading my headphones and thinking they were really uncomfortable and didn't fit my head correctly compared to my hd555s, but after 1 week of using them they started feeling really comfy.

Cool, I'll keep doing that then

That's a legit tip. Assuming your headphones are not shit and won't snap in half, you can spread the headband by leaving them overnight in a position like that.
If the headband is made of metal you can also increase the clamping force by pressing it on the edges

How should I know how wide to spread them though? I'd be afraid of stretching them out, so I'm leaning toward just wearing it until it learns to stop crushing my skull

If it matters it's an M50x

True neutral MDR-7506 and Etymotic audio listening devices master race coming through, get your inaccurate and overpriced trash outta here

worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/soundtrue_around-ear/page.html

got these, for 50$ off cause sale, did i fuck up?

BUY
OTHER
SOUND
EQUIPMENT
you got jew'd to shit, m8

From the Amazon Mexico sale?
Those headphones are shit by the way, should have gone with something better.

not the person you guys replied to, but do you guys assume bose is just shit or have you actually tried them? I own hd600's and I tried my brothers quietcomfort bose headphone and honestly they sounded quite good albeit it was a different sound compared to my hd600s. I'm not an "audiophile" just an enthusiast.

> Comparing 300$ noise cancelling headphones to some cheapo on-ear shit

does anyone else love the Xiamoi piston 3?

>not the person you guys replied to, but do you guys assume bose is just shit or have you actually tried them?
Not the same guy but the problem with Bose is like the problem with Beats. You pay extra for the brand. We don't suggest against Bose because they sound like Coby tier shit but because you can get better sounding headphones for the same, if not less, money.

I like em, I just wish they had more sub-bass

Literally warming my cold hands up with my amp.

>bright as hell MDR-7506

>implying
Other than in the bass, the MDR-7506 is extremely neutral. They're studio monitor headphones.

who else shitty modding here?

Only "mod" I've ever done is apply pressure to the headband on my K550's to bend the metal and increase the clamping force

What's the successor to the Clip+ ? Shit is getting hard to find these days. Is the analog stage in the Clip Sport/Jam any good?

fuck Sup Forums is DEAD at night

>Budget
>Source
mainly android phone
iem
>Open or closed
n/a
>Comfort level

>Preferred tonal balance
>Preferred music
ambient rock
>Past headphones
mee m6 sl, klipsch s2,

Fiio E10K

graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2621&graphID[]=2361&scale=30

if your headphone band is metal, you can bend them yourself a lot quicker than wearing them in with books or something, it also doesn't wear the pads that way. you just have to know how to do it, and make sure the metal can handle it, as well as other materials that might be in the band. you basically position the headphones so you have a side in each hand and something like your knee pressed against the center of the band so you bend both sides equally. apply force, it will probably feels like too much at points. apply force, check them, and repeat till you have them where you like. watch tyll's videos, he does it often. I did this with good results on my m40x, 668bm evos, and cal. you can also do it to tighten bands so that they get a better seal.

I love the v6, but it's not neutral at all. neither is etymotic really, but it's more neutral than the v6/7506.

love em. they sound amazing for the price, like considerably better than other IEMs which already were an amazing value. bass impact could be better though, and isolation, but lack of isolation is sometimes wanted.

E10

piston 3

People on Sup Forums have jobs.

I was contemplating the Monoprice 14456 any argument for/against them over the piston 3s?

after all my life just using cheap earbuds, I decided to buy some m50's I hope they're worth it.

You got memed.
Having not used anything "decent", you bought into the hype of the M50s and upon receiving them will think they are the best things you have ever used, which is a given because it is better than whatever you have used beforehand. However, just know that there are better things at the same and even cheaper price points.
Happy listening.

fiio e10k is the best 'low price' amp. the o2 is the nest step up imo.

Most comfy headphones i've ever tried on, the fucking memory foam pads man.

Unless you meant comfy in a mental way, then no, i'm not comfy.

>Budget
€100
>Location
Europe (Belgium)
>Source
iPhone (inb4 >)
IEM
>Comfort level
Don't care
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy
>Preferred music
>Past headphones
Cheap IEM's, tired of the shit sound quality

RHA MA750 (assuming exchange rate and no ridiculous VAT).

> Budget
10$
> Location
Prague, CZ (Smichov)
> Source
Android smartphone and laptop
> Preferred type of headphone
In ear
> Comfort level
Tight and soft
>Preferred tonal balance
Whatever's best for the music I listen to
>Preferred music
Psychedelic rock
>Past headphones
5$ sony headphones

Sweet

Found a pair for €90, thanks user

$2 more. Order this. Don't like the bass? Use EQ.

aliexpress.com/item/Luxury-Stereo-Earphone/32474867642.html

someone pls help me

pastebin.com/CCQCUv5e

>Budget
$100, flexible
>Location
US
>Source
PC
Around ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Priority #1. I want to wear them for hours on end without discomfort.
>Preferred tonal balance
>Preferred music
>Past headphones
JVC HARX700. Love their comfort level, but their build quality and durability are disappointing. Hoping to upgrade in that regard.

Thanks, Sup Forums.

Both a mod and a shitty repair. Works fine though. Old style m50s which my buddy tripped over and killed the cord on.

And the box of dt660 parts I'll repair eventually

Though these wouldn't be as comfortable, but to my surprise the pads are deeper than my DT880, so yeah, pretty comfy.

Massdrop has the 02 amp on drop. Does anyone know of the desktop version takes batteries?

Do you guys ever get headaches after listening to music for 6-8 hours at a time?

no.
stop using bright headphones.
stop using uncomfortable headphones.
start listening at an appropriate SPL.

I've always been listening on low volumes, and I have the MDR-7506's now.

Maybe I'm getting old. ;_;

If the SPL is appropriated than having a bright headphone shouldn't be a problem.

EQ down the areas 2.5 - 5 kHz and 9 - 10 kHz
replace the stock pads

depends on how you look at it. everything else except for the highs are going to be too quiet.

why are audiophiles so much fun to make fun of?

also should I get silver or copper cables for my hd650's I prefer a neutral yet holographic sound that puts me INSIDE the music

But they're brand new, pads are super comfy, and they don't sound bright at all. Too scared to fuck the up with EQ.

if they don't feel clampy and aren't squishing your ears then comfort obviously isn't the problem.
i can make an EQ preset for you if you like.

Yeah, that applies to basically any signature that's not neutral, something will sound quieter, but still, user was talking about headaches, if the SPL is appropriated being bright, bassy, mid-centric etc shouldn't be a problem, i did read somewhere that people used to very unbalanced signatures like beats had hearing loss at specific ranges because they would make it to loud in order to be able to listen to everything.
Maybe that's the case with user and he is not noticing it?
That or user's "low" SPL is not low enough in general.

i imagine most people don't let 1-2 treble spikes dictate their average listening volumes. unless heavily v-shaped headphones are being used, the midrange is going to be what the listener adjusts the volume around.
>Maybe that's the case with user and he is not noticing it?
he said the headphones were brand new. i doubt they have caused any damage to his hearing yet.

>inb4 you make them sound like turds to bully me

Supreme leader of Comfy here

>removing your professional sticker

What the heck kiddo, you wanna listen to shitty sound?

>V6
>PROFESSIONAL

pick one

i'm not even going to make it before you tell me that you actually want it.

>Budget
US$400
>Location
Mail order
>Source
PC/Phone. May consider budget amp
Around ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Very important. Pumpkin-headed.
>Preferred tonal balance
V
>Preferred music
Techno, DnB, Instrumental
>Past headphones
HD25 1-II. Clamp too heavy. Sound a little too neutral. Portability no longer required.

Fidelio X2

gearbest.com/headsets/pp_270782.html

Worth it at that price? Is that even a deal?

I want it dad, give it to me now.

Nobody? I'm thinking about getting the Brainwavz HM5, but I've heard the clamp is very tight. Does this hinder long-term comfort?

i'm ok with this

Best thing my head has ever worn. Thanks to the little mod to the headband I did some time ago, I can easily wear these babies for even 6-7 hours continuously now.

I'm planning to buy a MSR7 or HE400s, which one would suit me? I mostly listen to EDM, jpop, and rock.
Though I never owned an open back before and I currently have SRH840

MSR7.

Or HD600.

mega.nz/#!U0JUELLJ!MG9RbjR4ggtw9wel1dDcWsF_jTkGyTn_Le8rwq01BUw
sorry about the delay

Nice headband mod, I was looking to do something like that with my 702's before I sold them. My current headphones (k712's) have a more narrow and better shaped head band so it's less noticeable than the 702 band. also 702 pads are really nice but my only complaint was that they could be a little softer, and thats exactly what my 712 pads are now since they're memory foam. You can buy these pads for the 702 but they cost £35 each, that's right, not a pair but £35 for ONE ear cup. Fuck that mayne.

> memory foam
I found the memory foam pads of my old X2 too itchy for me to be honest. I know neither if those pads were like the K712 pads nor if my X2 pads were made of some strange fabric. I prefer the K702 pads much more, because they're less soft, more robust and they stick to my head much better. The K702 clamp is also amazing imo.

I bought EDT 250 velours to stick on my M50s
Not shitty enough I suppose

M40x is more natural than that shit m8

> ever buying Audio Technica
Lol

M40x are actually good tho, better than the M50 meme cans...

M40X may be better than M50X, but would you be able to wear them for more than 1 hour? Comfort is an important part of an over-ear headphone.

Eh yeah, I agree w/ that much...although after doing what recommended for a few days it seriously helped.

M40x are comfortable, what the hell are you talking about? Even if you think otherwise you could always get other pads.

So far I have not found better neutral headphones than the M40x under a $200 price range

MDR-CD900ST if far more neutral than 7506

>M40x are comfortable, what the hell are you talking about? Even if you think otherwise you could always get other pads.
Hard clamp is as serious an issue as bad pads. If you change pads, you're going to spend money in order to compensate for a natural fault of the headphone.
>So far I have not found better neutral headphones than the M40x under a $200 price range
Sony MDR 7506

>Sony MDR 7506
Bad treble and inaccurate bass.