Bad website design

>"Contact Us" link is a direct link to their e-mail

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20101103033548/http://yvettesbridalformal.com/
somaligov.net/
webpagesthatsuck.com/
web.archive.org/web/20111001140748/http://www.yvettesbridalformal.com/Wedding_Shops_Panama_City
starwars7.ca/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>logo
>doesn't link to homepage

Basically everything here:

web.archive.org/web/20101103033548/http://yvettesbridalformal.com/

what the fuck

>website can't be archived by archive.org

>login box opens in a new tab

>mfw still can't find that one forum I spent most my teens in
>can't even remember username
I still spend hours on end looking at sites on the way back machine, I enjoy to see how they develop and progress over the years or how they died

>links within in the new tab also open a new tab

Nothing wrong with that.

somaligov.net/

WTF is wrong with that? Do you actually prefer a silly webform that won't even allow you to type more than like 250 characters?

>before you're able to type your username and password you have to remove the USERNAME and PASSWORD text in the boxes

A lot of websites I used to read are converting to some mobile design bullshit lately. Zerohedge is the latest, though it's not as bad as say, the telegraph.

Can anyone help with the terminology for exactly what these retarded webdesigners are doing to websites recently? It's like a cross between timecube, desaturating a photograph, and setting padding to +15 pixels all round. It's ruining the web, and I don't know what it's called.

And this fucking thing. This fucking logo. It just pisses me the fuck right off.

Can anyone explain what web designers are up to this time around? I can't keep up with this bullshit.

>cancer is able to thrive
oh.....wait

>start reading
>5 seconds in popup appears
>please subscribe to our newsletter

>go to restaurant's website
>no photos
>no menu
>not even any hours
>just some vague "mission statement" with a location and phone number

literally why else would I go to a restaurant's website?

>click link
>Outlook Express opens

Fucking annoying.

To like them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter?

>Outlook Express

>doesn't check the url before clicking links
>doesn't use a reasonable MUA
>can't even into turning off mailto links if Outlook bothers you so much
Your own fault entirely.

that hurt my eyes with how the collrs are so bright and clash yet the picture are so dull

Again, bad website design. Contact Us should take you to a page with the necessary information. From there I can decide if I want to use Outlook Express.

mailto: URLs are a standard and common part of teh webs, doe. If you don't like how your web browser handles them, then that's a problem with the browser, not with the page.

>Can anyone help with the terminology for exactly what these retarded webdesigners are doing to websites recently?

Search Engine Optimization.
Google gives higher rankings to sites that have mobile versions. Which in modern designer terms (bootstrap, etc), means that you make your site mobile first, desktop later.

So while before we had sites designed for desktop that showed a simpler view on mobile, now we have mobile sites that scale up to desktop size - but with the same amount of little content.

mailto: is outdated.

>4 min embed video start playing while you're scrolling the page and you can only pause or mute it.
webpagesthatsuck.com/

>12 content items per screen
>10+ new content posted each day
>scroll down to load more content
>no other way to access old content

>tumblr pages without an archive button or a way to sort reblogs or whatever and posts actually made by the page owner
Burn them Johnny. Burn them all.

Don't they see that their minimalist CSS is hindering my masturbation?

It's called mobile first design. If you read some of the newer textbooks for web design and things like Adobe Dreamweaver, that's all the rage.

Basically their ideology is that you should build for mobile devices first and then adapt to other devices, not the other way around. Instead of degrading gracefully, you "progressively enhance".

Says you.

>Twitter: the post

"It's modern"
"forget old content, live in the moment. that's the modern way."
"MODERN"

>page header that resizes depending on what direction you last scrolled
Do the retards in charge never scroll up when reading a page?

That shit looks like a MySpace profile

u idiot. just fucking type in the url /archive/

It's the principle, user.

retard

>web.archive.org/web/20101103033548/http://yvettesbridalformal.com/
jesus

>auto playing videos
>videos do not have a volume option
>videos that default to maximum volume
>volume buttons that only give you three options:
>maximum
>slightly below maximum
>mute

it still has active x
it still has active x that only works on IE6
it still has active x that only works on IE6 along with a giant red note on how other browsers are viruses and anything made after 2006 including new windows is a virus

sites stuck in 2002 requiring you to download some 16 year old fucking plugin for IE, site owner response is always "oh we still use XP, you should too!" most of these are banks

requires you to register to do the most basic thing like read a quote or download a file, you aren't getting more people to spam by doing this as there are so many services to get around it like tenminutemail or just making a throwaway gmail account

any community website that has 7,000 boards that before you even post one time you're already being policed on where it belongs and you end up on some shit board or subforum with 15 people on it

comment replying that just bumps them to the right a little then there's 5 pages of white space of replies to the first or most popular post

Letting the entire comment section be ordered by votes, perfectly fine to have 2-5 ones at the top but if it's 100% then it just ends up being shitty puns

fixed width "muh typography" psuedo graphic design shit where half the fucking pages start with how they're experts on graphic design and "know how your eye moves" and it's 400px wide with 36pt font so even the smallest paragraph is a couple of pages and by the time you're done scrolling you realise it was literally nothing besides bragging about muh typography circlejerking

>Make an account!
>make an account
>it doesn't remember what you just typed in

>web.archive.org/web/20111001140748/http://www.yvettesbridalformal.com/Wedding_Shops_Panama_City

Holy vaporwave batman

>please disable your adblock
>you can't use this site otherwise

I'm sure they know how shitty their page looks and are somehow cashing in on the popularity from it. That said I once offered to re-design it for free and was turned down.

>no RSS feed
>just a twitter account

>Contact info and other things are at the bottom of the screen
>Site has infinite scrolling

Higher and higher percentage of people browse sites on their phones and mobile devices. For most websites, it's not optimal to have a separate site for mobile and for desktop, so sites are being designed to be responsive. Most people don't even have desktop computers anymore.

If you want to know if a site is responsive or not, manually make the browser window smaller.

Also, that logo is called a hamburger. Designers hate it, but since everyone knows what it is, it's hard to now change it without causing UX issues.

>website's mobile site is utter shit
>click use desktop site
>it either forces the mobile site or is just a different mobile site
>nigh impossible to get to the desktop site on mobile

>bootstrap
>hamburger button

Google did this and there was a big shit storm.

>click mailto: link
>browser opens a gmail tab with the email address already populated in the to: field

This is a standard option on every modern browser worth a fuck.

what's wrong with bootstrap?

>mobile page
>several megabytes
>"www.site.com asks to know your location"-popup
>"We use cookies"-banner takes 10% of the vertical space
>top bar is fixed and takes 20% of the vertical space
>phone's browser crashes

All sites look the same, effectively eliminating individuality from the web

fair enough

not at all a bootstrap apologist and do mostly agree with you but I've only ever used it for positioning and then added in rice and color. If you need it to be properly aligned with 1001 devices and want futureproofing you can use a CDN which will update later and it's a quick and free solution.

>browser window is below a certain threshold width
>content disappears or is re-structured in a less useful way

FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK MOBILE USERS FUCK YOUR WAY OF DEALING WITH THEM FUCK YOU

>"email: ___"
>"confirm email: ___"

bonus points for going out of the way to disable copypasta

feast your greasy fingers on THIS

starwars7.ca/

>web design

fuck all the way off

>msfs screenshots
>blender