My mom's laptop is about 2 years old, she said it reset for updates last week and it wouldn't start...

My mom's laptop is about 2 years old, she said it reset for updates last week and it wouldn't start. It just kept on loading the DELL logo, then going to a black screen.

It's an inspiron laptop and there doesn't seem to be a way to restore it to factory settings in the boot options.

I did make a recovery disc (tried USB and CD). I went into the boot menu and launched using either of them and it would load the Windows logo to a four blue squares, then go to a black screen and remain there..

It is Windows 8.1 OS from what she tells me, and it updated to 10 about a week before all this happened.

I did run diagnostics on it, it said it was a hard drive failure. Dell tech support tells me to replace a new hard drive. It's odd that the hard drive would just drop dead like that.

How accurate is that, is it definitely a dead hard drive or is there a possibilty for a different alternative? Any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO
rufus.akeo.ie/
hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
freeisoburner.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's an OS error, if she boots the laptop after the initial boot it should work, i have the same problem right now

What does that mean, and how do I do it?

Kinda surprised neither of these recovery disks would do anything.

reinstall windows

Thanks for literally any help by the way, I'm desperate.

I'm trying with the recovery disks, but it only goes to the 4 blue square windows logo then a black screen.

download the .iso here:
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

then download rufus here:
rufus.akeo.ie/

use it to make a bootable usb with the windows 8 iso, and then try booting from that

Mucho appreciado

Using the windows 8 iso, do I choose the USB or the CD option? I'm assuming it's the USB option, but the CD option is the one that says ISO file.

? it doesnt ask me to choose between usb and cd options on that link. i guess just choose the one that gives an .iso.

also i didnt read the full op when i posted that, if the diagnostics said the hard drive failed then that is likely what happened. you can download hitachi drive fitness test from here and make a bootable cd with it to test it further: hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Thanks again.

Should I download the ISO then use rufus to "Create a bootable disk using ISO image" then select it?

after you burn the usb, stick it in the desktop, and turn it on. the bios screen should say something like "for boot options press 0" or F12, or something.

Press that button, boot from USB then read the dialogue until you see the part that gives you a repair option. or reinstall, i dont know what you're wanting to do

I appreciate it! thanks. ill let you know how it goes

yes. also if you're trying to make a drive fitness test cd you may have to use this:
freeisoburner.com/

and make an actual cd. i think i had issues in the past running that program from a bootable usb on some computers

If nothing works pull out the hard drive and connect it to a desktop. Backup all the files and wipe/reformat the drive. Reinstall windows and restore all the old files. Just make sure you scan them with a trusty antivirus/antimalware/antispyware.

Alright cool, that's super helpful
Will do, good idea. Thank you!!

install manjaro

Used the bootable USB drive, still just the windows logo into a black screen.

I have to boot in legacy mode because it doesn't show in UEFI

pull the hard drive out and see if it goes any further

I've never taken apart a laptop before, but will do! It'll take me a little while.

Worth noting I guess that without going into legacy mode and then USB it will only show dell logo into black screen, while using USB it will be windows logo into black screen

just youtube it, it's easy as fuck. alternatively you could make a bootable drive fitness test cd and run a short test on the hard drive. if it says it's failed then it's dead for sure

Alright cool. Thanks man

just out of curiousity, on the bootable ISO usb drive I made, what options do I select on Rufus?

NTFS file system, MBR partition scheme, ESD-ISO, and create disk using iso image?

it should autoselect the correct options based on the .iso when you pick it. just leave them alone