/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /flt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Dual-boot Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about Linux)
4) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Tutorials_and_Howtos
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/jessie/openrc
f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=VNC&fdid=android.androidVNC
launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/ archive/ubuntu/mesa
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Im trying to install GTK themes on debian but when i put them in /usr/share/themes/ they dont show up in gnome tweak tool, any help?

the theme im trying to install is called REVIVAL

When will Linux become relevant?

heres your (you)

Thanks but that doesn't answer my question.

When it somehow becomes GPL3+'d

I see some problems:

You are a furfag
You are using gnome 3 and probably trying to install a theme it does not recognize as compatible (because it fucking isn't, GNU dunno what backwards compatibility is and duncare because freetards never made anything worth keeping around anyways)
Your furfaggotry is suppressing your capacity for intelligent thought, preventing you from realizing this despite theme readmes normally saying "compatible with gunhome 3.x" to let you know they'll work.

its GTK3 compatible, and i thought this was a FRIENDLY linux thread??? jfc. GNOME 3 shell themes also do not show up. Dont treat me like an idiot because of your filthy prejudice against me. Ill also have you know that that that is a pony, i can do what i want.

When there's a reason for corporations to heavily invest in it; Linux desktop is not a thing because the majority of average people are dependent/content to windows or mac, they feel no need to change and often depend on specific applications (business standard programs like Excel).
When something goes to shit with one of those OSes Linux might become relevant. Depending on who it is BSD might be used because of its license that allows more control.

How is Mint different from Ubuntu?

I tried out the two but Mint just seemed to be a Chinese cheap edition of Ubuntu with some cool eye-candy (open this as root, open in terminal) but friendlier feeling.

>not instigating
>not racism
>serious
Reposted because there are two /fglts/ with equal number of posts

How can I download and run Ubuntu Linux without having the instalation disc in my computer which has Windows 7. Can anyone gimme a link of a site where i can?

Why you haven't ported XFCE to GTK3 yet?

Sup Forums, how do I utilize 3 drives for one installation? I have an SSD for my / partition, I have 1TB hard drive for my swap (sometimes I hibernate) and /home, and I have one more 500GB hard drive.
How can I automatically mount and use this 500GB as an addition to my /home without turning it into raid? I want thins 500GB drive to be present and shown as a folder in my /home/user_name directory.
What's gonna be the best way to do that? Mount it somewhere to /mnt/drive_name and then just hard link it to where I need it?

how do i add a newline in sed from a bashscript?

i have tried putting a character in certain places (one that doesnt exist elsewhere in the file, ascii) and using tr to replace it with \n

i have googled for 2 days and not found a solution
funny thing is that most of them work when i put them in the terminal, then bash knows what to do

help pls why is bash scripting so cancer

need help understanding tar stuff. Everytime I download a tar, tar.gz, tar.bz2 I have to look up how to extract it...for every compressed file I have to use different arguments. Is there an easy way to remember them for every extension?

alias the different filetypes

utar='------'
utargz='------''

etc

What does the presence of ipv6 in the output of lsmod imply if I have the following settings in my /etc/sysctl.conf on a RHEL machine?

net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 0
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

lsmod | grep ipv6
ipv6 335781 14

if you want it to be a part of your /home volume, then you'd use a raid/jbod, the simplest method being to use btrfs (where you can add and remove disks to/from any volume at any time)
or if you just want the 500G disk mounted in some folder under /home/user, just do that (from fstab)

the friendly GNU/Linux thread is here that dude that posts /flt/ and goes through the trouble of removing GNU is a a bit weird at times, just ignore him and his threads, maybe he will go away someday.

Is there any way to make the numpad enter button work in urxvt even when the numlock is disabled? I use a compact keyboard and use the numpad for navigation (arrows, home, etc) and the problem is that I have to disable the numlock in order for these keys to function this way however I'm also used to using the numpad enter button to submit stuff in the terminal and it doesn't work w/ the numpad off.

I've already remapped a few keys in my zshrc to function properly, like so:
bindkey "${terminfo[khome]}" beginning-of-line
bindkey "${terminfo[kend]}" end-of-line
bindkey "${terminfo[kpp]}" up-line-or-history
bindkey "${terminfo[knp]}" down-line-or-history
bindkey "${terminfo[kich1]}" overwrite-mode
bindkey "${terminfo[kdch1]}" delete-char

But I don't remember where I read the docs and would like to create a bind for it, any suggestions?

Ok Sup Forums, I'm looking to move to Linux permanently at some point in the near future, I want to choose a good distro to start on but I'm unsure what to go with. I want to have as little bloatware and crap as possible with as much customization options as possible, for this I was drawn to Arch, but because I'm fairly new with Linux and Arch is considered a more advanced distro would I be better of getting Ubuntu or something to start off with

i wouldn't worry about avoiding "bloat" to start off with, for the simple reason that you're not yet familiar with enough linux software to know exactly what you will want to use

"bare" installations are for people who know what they want to install, and so they install those things themselves

i'd also suggest trying a few different major "upstream" distros to see what you prefer (as in, debian/ubuntu, fedora, opensuse, etc), everyone has different preferences, which is one reason why so many distros exist in the first place

So I've compiled some software from github (Meriken's tripcode engine, if you care). It compiles successfully without error, and I have all necessary dependencies. But when I try to execute the compiled code, it doesn't do anything. No errors or output of any kind.

Broadly, what are my next steps for troubleshooting this?

Read the friendly manual, I guess.

I want to get on a systemd-free distro. Right now I'm struggling to choose between void and gentoo. I really don't want to spend hours compiling shit everytime I boot it just because I want to install or update something but I feel like it'd be worth it, where as I have no idea where void stands in terms of quality.

What would you guys recommend? Feel free to suggest other distros too.

debian ?
it works find without systemd

sysvinit is outdated as fuck though

Use systemd then.

Install OpenRC.

it's supported on debian?

packages.debian.org/jessie/openrc

I'll try it in a vm to see if it works well

I have had good results with Alpine. The package manager isn't great and doesn't install docs by default, but it's very stable and comes with OpenRC and grsec out of the box.

>Alpine Linux is a community developed operating system designed for x86 routers, firewalls, VPNs, VoIP boxes and servers
It works fine as a desktop?

This user is right. One man's desktop environment is another man's bloatware. Your first linux installation is going to end up bloated as fuck because you installed a bunch of shit to see what you like. That's just something you should accept.

After using that for a while, you'll discover what you like/need, and you can start over with a minimal installation and only install what you know you like/need.

Since linux is free, burning your system to the ground and starting over isn't uncommon.

Is there a good (bonus points: free/libre) remote desktop program that I can use on android and Xubuntu? I want to be able to browse the tabs that are open on my desktop when I'm in the kitchen with only a tablet.

f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=VNC&fdid=android.androidVNC

Be warned though: VNC is very slow.

I've only tried on servers, to be honest. On my desktop I'm still using wheezy. But I would think it does as long as you have the patience, I mean there's people using OpenBSD as a desktop out there come on.

Why not just use a browser that can sync your browser sessions? A remote desktop seems a bit much for what you want.

I could also use it to access my VM and other programs when I'm at uni.

What should I install on Xubuntu then to connect VNC?

I want to move to linux.

DE wise i think i prefer Gnome. I've already used Ubuntu and Arch about 8 years ago for a year or so, but nothing else other than that.

I want a distro that is stable and as hardware compatible as possible, so that i will keep using it for years hopefully.

I'm between Ubuntu and OpenSUSE. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks

>I could also use it to access my VM and other programs when I'm at uni.
VNC's gonna be too slow and insecure for that. Use X11 forwarding through SSH for that.

>What should I install on Xubuntu then to connect VNC?
tightvncserver

fell for the meme, w10, gtx970, 4k monitor...
however, enough of this, no gaming since months. hate win...
want to learn linux, either dual-boot or delete win.
my biggest problem is which distro is better to handle dpi scaling? I want to use my 4k monitor but don't want tiny fonts.

If it takes patience I don't see why I wouldn't go for gentoo

It's up to your windowing system to handle DPI. More popular window managers will detect it for you, or you can put Xft.dpi: 180 in your .Xresources

Never told you never to go for Gentoo.

I have a lot of experience with Linux as an end user. I'm comfortable with a handful of cli programs and commands, installation, the Eco system etc etc. I want to learn more about server administration though. I know the basics of BASH but never use it, I can troubleshoot pretty well in general and etc but like when I follow a tutorial for setting up a lamp stack o don't really know how most of it works. Any recommendations for books or guides for increasing my knowledge in general? Is just a BASH guide sufficient? I'd love to know more about what system files are where and why as well as systemd as I have 0 XP with it.

thanks! gnome or unity?

If you're interested in linux admin work, pick either debian or red hat, then read their respective manuals.

Friendly reminder to use the troll-free thread:
Friendly reminder to use the troll-free thread:

ok i have arch running and installed NIS, evil.script.
anyways now i cant login into root on system and remove nis? can anyone advise.

when i try to login as root the system comes back with login screen?

can anyone tell me how to remove the nis package when i cant login into root in lightdm.

or have jsut bricked my arch and need to reinstall?

see

please read ^
Welcome to /flt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS
o/

see

^Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

see

see

im sure thats what you mean, friend

launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/ archive/ubuntu/mesa

Is this the best PPA for me, since I have AMD 390x?

ubuntu is good start
its the most popular one and good reference point
if you stick with linux you will try more distros eventually, no need to overly worry about the choice of the first one

ask here buddy

thanks

Alternative to JDownloader without java?

see

Hey guys,

I've been using Mint 17.2 Cinnamon for a while (several months) as my first Linux distro. It's nice and all, but I would like to try something new that is still new user friendly (so no Arch or Gentoo). I'd like to shift over and try an rpm-based distro. This pretty much means either openSUSE or Fedora, although I've heard very good things about the most recent release of Mageia (5?).

Does anyone have any experience with Mageia? Has it come far enough along to be at least similar to Fedora and openSUSE in terms of usability?

see