OpenWRT the better router OS

There is no better router OS for you router hardware! Upgrade your router with OpenWRT now. It's still better and more comfy. Or you even want to tell me there is something better? Protip: You can't.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.openwrt.org/toh/gl-inet/gl-mt300a
lede-project.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

RouterOS or pfSense über alles

I have RouterOS on all my network devices. Mikrotik is a beast

>pfSense
they pushed an upgrade that I have to install, thanks for reminding me

How many devices do you run? // What is your setup?

ONT->RB850Gx2->RB260GS-> 3xhAP

They're good for learning networking

I'll stick to tomato, i value more simplicity and ease of use over some minor extra options

how does one learn openwrt os? is there some manpages, tutorials, anything? I know cisco's IOS but openwrt is a mystery to me

dd-wrt is better
openwrt is for neckbeard basement-dwellers

Installed openwrt on a no name chinese router yesterday. I keep getting "access denied" trying to load the LuCI.

Any ideas?

there are many docs on the openwrt homepage and also myn tutorials in the communicty forum or on youtube.

is it so? tell me why.

is openwrt supporting the router model you have got?

Yup - the page seems a little out of date though:

wiki.openwrt.org/toh/gl-inet/gl-mt300a

I had to use ssh instead of telnet to set the password, for example.

OP here, I also have installed OpenVPN on it and a RADIUS-Server. Very comfy but not as easy to install, because bad docs and tutorials.
Have Sup Forums installed more on there modified router OS?

EdgeOS is god-tier

>implying OpenBSD isn't the quintessential router OS

explain why? Iam interested.

OpenBSD on a vm with an router OS ok, but only for testing... not for real

>dd-wrt is better

if by better you mean buggy as shit

Pretty much all of the OpenWRT devs moved to a new fork lede-project.org/

Is there some sort of guide where I can easily install this on my netgear router?

How difficult is OpenWRT to get into? I'm sick and tired of the router that my ISP provided me with. What's a good router/modem for 150€ tops?

Go with PfSense instead.

But I like IOS

>dd-wrt is better

DD-WRT hasn't had a stable release in eight years. Yes, really, eight damn years. Meanwhile there's a new "beta" every week or three, but unlike some open source projects... they really are beta quality, at best.

Yes, I know, DD-WRT is totes popular. The thing is, nobody is really using DD-WRT releases straight from the DD-WRT project. They aren't doing that because they're garbage quality. What they are doing is using special snowflake "blessed" builds curated by some random semi-anonymous user, with the random semi-anonymous user (Kong, BrainSlayer, Fractal, Eko...)

The fact that this still ends up being a wildly superior product to OEM consumer router firmware has tremendously more to do with the godawful quality of that firmware, and much less to do with how great DD-WRT actually is. Even where the stock OEM firmware is reliable and performant, it tends to be extremely feature-starved, which the *WRT family decidedly is not. (Now, if you ask for all of those features to actually work right, that might be a different story...) Just the fact that the *WRTs give you usable per-device bandwidth graphs alone makes them a tremendously more attractive solution than the stock firmware for anybody who wants a moderate degree of control over their network... but again, that's really a denigration of the stock firmware, not truly a paean to DD-WRT.

Then you've got OpenWRT. OpenWRT does have the benefit of a unified build environment that keeps images available for all platforms from the same source base, and it does put out stable, modern releases. But the interface is really, really bad, and the performance is pretty awful too. OpenWRT and DD-WRT both fall flat on their faces trying to handle relatively simple workloads that either pfSense or a plain-vanilla installation of Ubuntu Server process with ease.

What, I thought that's a router?

Jesus, what's with my brain. Replace router with firewall.

no

Kind of like the Apple of routers but instead they charge bottom dollar for enterprise grade hardware and a debian-based OS that is very easy to configure, advanced features and very reliable.