Multi monitor

Is the multi-monitor meme true? Or just a merchant gimmick?

Would you go for a higher resolution single tile or a lower resolution multi-monitor?
3 1080ps vs single 1440p or 4k

I'm guessing dual-monitors doesn't have much use in gayming.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/NicoHood/HID
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I just went ultrawide

My dual setup is useful at work, but I still use a single 1080p one at home. I'm thinking about upgrading to 1440p, though.

Currently using 3 1080p monitors and loving it. Would never go back to 2 now.

>Is the multi-monitor meme true?
What does this even mean?

27" 1440p is a sweet spot which means I don't need to bother with scaling and fills my view easily so no need to move my head or look around. Anything over 30" is pushing it. That said I might get a 32" 4k.

1080p is too low res for this day and age but an extra monitor is handy to play random crap in the background.

I would rather use a single higher resolution monitor than lower resolution multi-monitor.

Once I went quad monitor, I can't go back.

Unless you're a casual fuck only using your computer for surfing internet and gayming alone, then yes.

>Eternal Virgin: The Setup

I love my 3 1080p monitors. i alaways have all monitors populated with something important.
makes homework and research easier.
cant use single monitors anymore; it feels like something is missing and really difficult because I cant see everything I need to see at once.
thinking about getting a 4k monitor and keeping 2 of my 1080p monitors tho

>using virgin as an insult

I want a 4k monitor but i dont think racing sims will feel as immersive, and running it at over 4k resolution is really expensive and cant afford it at the moment

>ps4
>using game ss as background
>yahoo
>slither.io
>glossy monitors
>white mouse
>desktop on the floor

GTFO, REEEEEEEE

>no fuckin room to stretch leg under that fuggin table.
would not even sit a fuckin minute at it.

Get the fuck out you unvirgin.

Too clean, and boring, Add something onto it, like a poster or some shit

I like having multiple monitors, but virtual desktops are pretty neat for just one monitor. If anything, an ultrawide is becoming the true meme.

ps4 isnt mine, just been playing uncharted 4 (only game i want for ps4). i return it to my cousin in a couple of months

not my real background. reinstalled windows and it was the first jpeg i found.

i use google. yahoo only for mail

you got me

i dont experience glare

its a black mouse with a white vinyl wrap. G700

pc usually at the top but my spare dvi cable isnt long enough.

why do each of those graphs warrant a screen of their own?

I feel like you could still easily read the information if you squeezed 4 of them on to one screen.

Dont get me wrong, your set-up is very desirable

Slow or fast stochastics?
>muh indicators

I like having three 1080 monitors + a TV. A single high res monitor is fine too when DEs worth a shit implement virtual desktops for easy switching. I think NSA/Windows has them too, so knock yourself out. Of course, do note that running gaymes and emulation will be taxing, so consider that first before upgrading.

I use a 1440p 144Hz monitor as my main display and a 1080p dispaly on the left turned portrait. A ultrawide ain't the same as two different monitors.

I use one a 43" 4k tv as a monitor and I love it. I don't feel like I need a multi monitor setup with this beast.

>input lag

>desktop on the floor

That's not desktop and it's supposed to go on floor.

multimonitors every day.

Means I can fullscreen without using up all my screen.
Which sounds down right retarded but the sense is there

Triple display or bust.

Depends, I'm running 2 1080p monitors, but only game in one of them. The other always has something else going on, like some stream, progress on backups or av checks (usually my client's hdd's) or even hardware monitors.
It's sort of a meme for gaming, but for productivity is a must have.

Enjoy your threefold radiation from your monitors, fags.

>no mouse pad

disgusting

I think that Logitech mouse can learn on what surface it's on and work without one.

this.

g502 works flawlessly on my desk.

needs more LEDS.

Red LEDs make your PC go FAST because of PURE RAW POWER

It's gonna fucking housefire without some blue ones to cool it down...

Three 34" Ultrawides duh

I currently have two displays, one 1080p and the other a 768p. Might get a 1440p when they get more common, but I still don't know how much should รณ spend on it. People talk about a Korean 1440 displays, but most I've seen were 90 hz or only vga.

>literally a circle

Worse. They're HDMI. Can run surround on HDMI when all GPUs have displayport. And that adapter lag is unbearable.

*Can't

>Memeing this hard
It covers your FOV and more. Be the ultimate neckbeard and never get out of your chair.

Ever tried programming?
One monitor for IDE. One for references. Anything below that is unusable.

>not useful for gaming
Nigger, you are so casual that you probably like Angry Birds.

>or even hardware monitors.
>tfw I want to make a physical hardware monitor with my Arduino
>tfw I find out that the serial connection is not connected to its USB connection and thus cannot do more than control my multimedia keys without adding an entire fucking USB port

Who else here is doing some IO modding to make their PCs more comfy?
The freedom of not having to care about which multimedia buttons my keyboard has is wonderful.
I'm about to exchange the louder/quieter button with a rotary encoder and add a standby button.
And the entire control panel costs less than ten bucks.

I meant two, you faggot. Odd numbers for Memefinity

Two is perfect for X2, Supreme Commander and when you are testing your overclock performance with actual vidja.
Also, seeing which of your buddies is talking on voice chat and following along with chat conversations.

>Yeah but... Doesn't that like, take some hacking and stuff? Who's got time for that?

Can you show Afterburner windows in your other monitor?

Multi monitor is great for productivity. It's nice to be able to have references and things open while using a full screen for what you're working on. It's also good for playing games and having chats, music player, video, etc. open at the same time. Gonna upgrade to 2x 1440p monitors after the new GPUs come out. Higher res + dual monitors should be a nice upgrade.

Probably?

I use GPU-Z and shit for monitoring.

But you can't FurMark, can you? Mwahahahaha!

you can barely focus your eyes on 20% of a 13 inch screen at the time why would you need 3 monitors for 1 application

Get the out of my board, pleb. Don't shit on my $5mil. 15 monitor setup.

Overviews.

Some games are complex enough to profit from them.

I take notes on paper in some games. An always-open map or something would be awesome on a secondary monitor.

this is VERY neat user, I have an arduino sitting next to me this very moment. I'm working on turning it into a tiny pocket computer running BASIC. I want something comfy to fuck around with and write programs in. Care to share any resources you have on building IO mods such as yours? (pretty new to the arduino)

40" 4k is a sweet spot which means I don't need to bother with scaling and fills my view easily so no need to move my head or look around. Anything over 80" is pushing it. That said I might get a 80" 8k.

1440p is too low res for this day and age but an extra monitor is handy to play random crap in the background

I already have 2 1080p monitors. I just bought a third 1440p, but don't have desk space for all 3, if I put them side by side. Is there an easy way to stack the 1080p monitors?

recommend u 1 1080p and maybe a second screen

or maybe 1 4k and 1 sec screen

>Fellow tall fag
First thing I'm looking for when there's a battlestations thread, leg space.

It entirely depends on the size of your table. I've a 1440p monitor and a 1080p next to it. They barely fit onto the table.

As soon as I order my new Macbook Pro 15 inch I'm going to buy 2 4k monitors with a stand and a docking station. They may be small at 24 inches but the way OS X handles scaling is god tier and it should work flawlessly. Multiple Monitors is definitely not a meme and is super useful for productivity among other things.

If my laptop only has one HDMI port does that mean I can only use one external monitor?

Yes

Yet another reason to purchase the new Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Yeah I'm gonna pick one up myself once the new one drops. Those 2 thunderbolt ports come in handy when you need extra connectivity. Especially with external monitors.

where the hell are the monitor cabels?

Wallpaper pls, kind sir.

Just buy 32" ultra wide.
You dont want bezels trust me,they are like thorn in your eye.

>here comes dat bogie
>lemme check the minimap
>*breaks neck*
>oh shit, mooooom!

Games are awesome on 3x27" screens. Too bad I have 0 time to play games anymore.

> Darth Vader candle
Jesus user

Multimonitor setups are shit for games and shit for daily use like films.

If you need them for work I see why you'd use it.

>Care to share any resources you have on building IO mods such as yours? (pretty new to the arduino)
Basically, you need two things:
- An Arduino with an ATmega32u4, like the Leonard (Which isn't produced officially anymore, but why the fuck wouldn't you buy from China, anyway?), which is a chip with built-in USB. All other Arduinos have a dedicated USB chip that only creates a virtual serial port.
Technically you could also use just the chip, but you'd need more know-how and a dedicated programmer for that.
- This library: github.com/NicoHood/HID

Everything else is rather trivial. Remember to use the internal pullup-resistors if you use buttons. Otherwise you'll need three instead of two cables per button.
And keep in mind that the serial port is connected to pins 0 and 1 like usual, but not to USB. It's also accessed by using serial1 instead of serial as the command in the IDE.

Soldering is easy to learn and the components can be bought in bulk from China. As long as it's not advanced tech, the Chinese stuff will be more than sufficient.

The Mini equivalent of the Leonardo is the Arduino Micro, by the way. I have one here and will later rebuild my package to make it more neat, once my chinaware arrives.
Mini is an Arduino in the most minimal package, without a USB port.
And a Nano is an ordinary Arduino (including USB) in a smaller form factor.

Here is my Multimedia Button thing, if you want to see:
#include "HID-Project.h"

const int pinLed = LED_BUILTIN;

const int muteButton = 4;
const int playButton = 5;
const int loudButton = 6;
const int quietButton = 7;

bool repeater = 0;

void setup() {
pinMode(pinLed, OUTPUT);
pinMode(playButton, INPUT_PULLUP);
pinMode(muteButton, INPUT_PULLUP);
pinMode(loudButton, INPUT_PULLUP);
pinMode(quietButton, INPUT_PULLUP);
Consumer.begin();
}

void send_comm(int button) {
if (!digitalRead(button)) {
digitalWrite(pinLed, HIGH);
switch (button){
case playButton: Consumer.write(MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE);
break;
case muteButton: Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_MUTE);
break;
case loudButton: Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_UP);
repeater = 1; //For "hold to accelerate" effect
break;
case quietButton: Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN);
repeater = 1;
break;
}
// Simple debounce
delay(200);
if (!digitalRead(playButton) || !digitalRead(muteButton))
delay(300);

if (!digitalRead(loudButton) && repeater) {
Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_UP);
delay(100);
if (!digitalRead(loudButton)) {
Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_UP);Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_UP);Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_UP);
}//Magic num
}
else if (!digitalRead(quietButton) && repeater) {
Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN);
delay(100);
if (!digitalRead(quietButton)) {
Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN); Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN);Consumer.write(MEDIA_VOLUME_DOWN);
}
}
digitalWrite(pinLed, LOW);
repeater = 0;
}
}

void loop() {
send_comm(playButton);
send_comm(muteButton);
send_comm(loudButton);
send_comm(quietButton);
}

Remember, folks, USB-C can do Thunderbolt, Displayport, 100 Watt power and USB.

Soon you will have USB-C on GPUs, which gain an additional 6-Pin connector. The USB port will attach to the screen and grant it power, sound, graphics and USB-port-extensions.

I hope that future arrives soon.

Unless you're a stock trader I don't see the point.

I like one big high res monitor and using multiple workspaces. You can only look at one monitor at a time anyway and it eliminates head and next strain anyway. Just swap workspaces with the press of a finger.

>3 monitors
>fullsize keyboard
>LED bulbs for ambience in front of monitors

Get a bigger desk, fucking christ.

Great, the creepiest weeb in all the land is into trading stocks now.

>install floating monitors to make setup possible
>no footroom as evidenced by black marks on the wall

JUST

landscape+landscape is the most retarded thing ever. It will fuck your neck up.

landscape+portrait on the other hand, now that's the sweetspot.

>All these crap monitors that go around the table with shitty viewing angles and fucked up colors and whatnot

what's the point

vertical setup is even worse for color and viewing angle

never noticed those spoopy dolls before

> not landscape x2 and portrait x2

Also anyone know a good wall mount.

Hows that going? I was considering building something like this with an RPi, but not how complex it'd be.

>Also anyone know a good wall mount.
Screws

*not sure how

Need something with an arm(s) that has height adjustment and pivot and rotate. It's not going to be just on the wall.

2 monitors are all you need, anything more youre a fucking virgin

He sure knows how to have fun.

>league of memes
>le ebin trendy reddit stickers
Fuck off back to Facebook.

>league of legends
>wannabe skater stickers on wall and pc
>pc on floor
>pc on CARPET
>mario stickers
>le GAMER keyboard and mouse w/added autism lights and razer mousepad
>literal fucking mcdonalds ketchup pots on desk
>calls others virgins

good show, user

>MOBA
>calls others virgins

Idk. That vertical monitor on the side is just off-putting to me. Otherwise pretty decent senpai.

is this a bait or what?

Just get an ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio monitor.

>ruro ken series
Cool
>unsolved rubix cube
Not that cool

>Those sauce packets under the desk
Wew lad. I'm pretty sure your diet consists of 95% tendies and pizza rolls that you mom restocks in the mini fridge next to your bed while you sleep. Now fuck off you cuck.

If I'm gonna go that wide is just rather get 2 other monitors for muh curviture/peripherals

I had 3x1080p. Sold them all for a single 40" 4k and grabbed an old 17" out of the basement to use as a secondary.

You can quadrant snap with a 4k monitor for the equivalent of 4 1080p monitors with no bezels or cascade all your windows across the massive screen. Most content is designed for 16:9 so 4k is advantageous there. Though generally I am one to single-task things with all my IM clients pulled up on the 17".

For gaymen, triple 1080p doesn't give you much advantage besides a stretched view of what's beside you (literally not useful at all). 4k eliminates the need for antialiasing and everything just looks so crisp/sharp. Also a higher resolution actually makes high DPI mice useful since you have more dots per inch of precision to move the mouse on the screen. Also 4k takes up only 2/3 the desk space of triple 1080p, which is nice.

Remember, with both you will need a modern GPU to push those resolutions. 2 7970 just barely cuts it for me in less demanding titles. I don't game as much as I used to so I'm in no hurry to upgrade to the GTX 1080.

Why not multiple high res panels?

>neck problems
>back problems

Gotta love Sysadmin