BEST STARTER DISTRO

I don't want to miss up with my first Linux distribution so suggest me with the best you can and shell it to me.

Ubuntu or one of the Ubuntu forks

Debian

Ubuntu is babby's first hipster OS, and I hate the repository, but try it out and if you like it move on to something else.

Elementary OS or Manjaro.

gentoo

Ubuntu or Mint.

cinnamon or mate ??

OS X

cinnamon

Manjaro, Mint, or Xubuntu. I don't know enough about OpenSuSe to say, but I hear it's pretty solid as a beginner distro.

Fedora could be great, or it could be a nightmare. It depends on whether or not you want/need any nonfree software. If you stick only to free software, it's fairly user-friendly. If you want to use some nonfree software for whatever reason, prepare for pure hell getting it installed and working. On principal I refuse to ever use it. Freedom works both ways. If you want to use proprietary software, that too is your right, and no one has any business trying to hinder you from it. The lengths Fedora goes to to prevent you from using what you want, on your own system is just straight up out of line.

Manjaro is pretty great. Potential of Arch with the ease of Mint

Do know anyone who can help you with Linux? Use the distro they recommend because it'll be easier for them.

You don't have any friends? Then use Ubuntu because it has the largest community.

Arch :^)

Gentoo

Install gentoo

elementary os(x)

Only if he wants to git gud.

install funtoo

mint

These are the correct answer OP.

LFS

Ubuntu. It's comfy, easy to use, and it's probably going to work on your hardware.

Funtoo or Crux.

Run Slackware Current and bolt on slapt-get or something.

Which would be better for a babby: Ubuntu or mint? Is one better for xfce than the other?

This is when the thread should've been closed

Mint/ubuntus -> Debian -> Arch/Gentoo

I'd start with Debian, skip all the ubuntus since they spoonfeed you too much

Not the best, but it's god tier.

I'd go with manjaro too, unless u really want to learn everything from scratch then install arch and just follow the wiki ;)

Cinnamon

xubuntu

Ubuntu or debian
Debian has great documentation, it works on almost anything,
Ubuntu has a lot of software and most companies who don't have time to build for every system will just do it for ubuntu

it really depends on what do you need:

>you want to git gud and feel like a real haxxor
use Arch, read wiki, be prepared that you'll probably mess something up and you'll have to spend a few days fixing it
it can be fun if you're into that
>you want a free as in freedom distro
use Fedora
>you want something that just werks and don't care about free/non-free quarrels
Ubuntu/Mint

Anyway, spent some time checking out desktop environments on youtube because a good DE changes a lot in terms of comfort of using the computer (xfce is best anyway)

Linux Mint Cinnamon. This is an even better option if you are use to Windows, because it just feel familiar.

I can't speak for everyone, since I've switched from Windows 7 to Linux for 3 months now, but my distro path was Ubuntu GNOME and once I got myself familiar with everything, I switched to Debian sid. I may switch to Arch sometime in the future, but I have no reason to do that right now. Everything either just werks and for the few things that needed some tweaking, the Debian wiki covered everything.

Depends what its for, if it needs to be working immediately for work or study or something, get one of the just works distros like ubuntu.

If its for fun/hobby get Arch, Gentoo, Crux, something where you can understand the OS a bit more at whichever level of complexity you choose.

install gentoo

/thread

Gentoo

CentOS or Fedora.

Gentoo

Until it breaks, then you go beg on Arch forums without mentioning it's Manjaro to not look like a noob.