See a cool image

>See a cool image
>Want to set it as my desktop background
>Right click
>No option to set it as background
>Have to save the image, open up the folder where it was saved, right click and set as wallpaper

Ladies and gentlemen, the Linux desktop experience.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cvngSNPDUt8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Linux desktop

>not making a script that rotates cool images on your desktop
wow hows that windows me treating you gramps?

>Linux desktop

Linux is a meme

You have to experience Linux before you can truly understand how insane Linux zealots are.

Now that you know how batshit Linus lovers are, reinstall win 7 and never look back. Trust me. These people are sick and sad.

Pajeet, Rajesh, etc. Five rupees each deposited.

Enjoy,
The Microsoft Team

>Want to upload a sick meme to Sup Forums
>Open up my file browser from Chrome
>No thumbnails for the images so have to check them one by one

So this... is Linux...

I

my ibook was able to do that by default in 2003 without me writing a script

What browser?

Chrome

WEW LAD

Same on Firefox or Freefox or Free Fucks or whatever the latest Firefox clone you're using is

Remember Windows XP? Same stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=cvngSNPDUt8

>setting a wallpaper other than a solid color

>use Linux for years
>exclusively for a couple of years
>be a jobless loser
>learn a lot about Unix-like operating systems
>it's fun but mostly tinkering
>constantly fighting with my computer to make it do what i want/behave the way I want it to
>finally get a macbook
>OS X is just Linux without the bullshit made for real humans
>homebrew is killer and blows apt out of the water
>everything just fucking works ™
>it's beautiful and glorious and fast and has no bugs

Why did I listen to the fucking normalfags on here talking about how Macs are just for idiots? Wish I'd done this sooner

I don't have a problem with OS X, i think its a pretty good system overall. I have a problem with the overpriced hardware its sold on. "Hackintosh" setups are cool though.

>ever changing your wallpaper from the default one

>I have a problem with the overpriced hardware its sold on
But this is simply wrong. I paid about $1300 shipped for my rMBP and at the time it was competitive with or simply much better than (both in terms of quality AND value) competing products

250GB PCIe SSD
nice 2560x1600 display
competitive CPU/RAM compared to other products in this price range
metal body
glorious trackpad
battery life out the wazoo

If you ask around the only thing people ever suggest is that little Dell XPS which is a shitpile if you check it out IRL, or they suggest some gigantic plastic Lenovo piece of crap.

I upgraded from a ThinkPad to this and I can't imagine using anything else now

And $1300 isn't exactly going to put me out of house and home, I'm happy to pay for quality

yeah but you owned a ibook
checkmate

how is that checkmate? it's not even check

ur gay now tho how do you think that makes your parents feel

It's adorable how underaged you are.

Most windows users I know use a list view with tiny thumbnails too, but then again, I don't know any autistic Sup Forums faggots with folders full of thousands of images named with UNIX timestamps.

Personally, I just save smug anime faces from google to my desktop and drag them into firefox.

ITT: bullshit "features" nobody actually cares about. literally lower than ragging on windows just because it's not a garbage *nix.

I was the same up until

t a macbook
>OS X is just Linux just with different bullshit
>end up constantly fighting it and scavenging for third party libre and gratis software to make it bearable
>even for something as simple as three finger middle click which is easily enabled in linux synaptics drivers without extra programs
>Homebrew is garbage and all their "recipes" are fucking shit/broken somehow if they're not called vim or ruby, end up using macports
>nothing works more or less than it did on linux, then again, i used KDE
>it's fucking ugly, laggy, and has all sorts of bugs and oversights

It's like I never left linux, except now I can run microsoft word for my job.

>scavenging for third party libre and gratis software
really mang

Nice job not listing the actual gpu/cpu.

Its because you know it's shit

kek, it's literally the same shit in every other laptop, whatever current gen intel i5 with IGP

same thing in virtually all laptops
this is the part where you post some shitbox lenovo GAYMEN1337 rig with 2-hour battery life and red LEDs everywhere and gloat about how it has a discrete GPU

Yes.

With OS X, you can't really just google "program to do whatever on mac" and get a good answer. Everything is limited to what's on the app store, like the rest of the world doesn't exist. There's decent software out there that apple won't allow in their walled garden. And when you do find it, half of it is paid. That's not an issue, but the hipsters that write it already have decent jobs and have a habit of insanely overcharging for that shit, and in the case of BTT, being dishonest shits for not telling their users that time sensitive code that would deactivate the software was present years before it was announced that BTT would go commercial.

>Everything is limited to what's on the app store, like the rest of the world doesn't exist
What are you talking about? Did you last use OS X back in 1999?

I don't think I've encountered a single program that I can remember that wasn't in homebrew and working with no issues--on par with or more honestly better than Ubuntu's repos

I'm talking about the front page of google

Mac users actually have to go to page 2, or even 3.

>homebrew
Macports has more stuff and their fontforge actually fucking works FYIFAM

>I'm talking about the front page of google
I don't think we're gonna agree on this unless you can point to some specific examples which prove your point. It's just an anecdotal thing as far as I see

Stop being this Indian.

Most people won't find GNUmail or seamonkey anywhere on google if they use a simple query like "free email clients for mac", just a bunch of recommendations for $20.99 thunderbird clones, thunderbird itself (trash), some electron based piece of shit, webmail, and the default. If you search for productivity tools, you'll find a million paid and proprietary window snappers and freemium junk like alfred before you find hammerspon, and if you ever see quicksilver mentioned, it will be referred to as old and busted because alfred is the new hotness. You will never, ever see liteswitch X or X-assist mentioned. Ever. Until you find my blog.

OS X is not a neckbeard OS, and the majority of info for it caters to non-neckbeards that love bloated harmful cock up their ass. On linux it's much easier to find software that's actually good.

>Most people won't find GNUmail or seamonkey anywhere on google if they use a simple query like "free email clients for mac",
>On linux it's much easier to find software that's actually good.

I'm trying hard to see your side of things here, but it sounds like your complaint is mostly about Google and capitalism and normies. If you're a Lintard like we both apparently are, it's pretty easy to find your way around without any trouble at all, and the whole 'walled garden' thing especially is just not an issue and is totally overhyped

Also what's your complaint about OSX's default mail client? It seems quite good imo

mbp:~ b$ brew search seamonkey
Caskroom/cask/seamonkey

Windows is garbage. Look at the exploits and all the malware already available for Win10. You think they would learn by now. With that said Ubuntu is also bloated garbage. You people have shit choice in software so gtfo Sup Forums

It seems quite proprietary. Gotta make the best of a shit OS.

>homebrew casks
>good
everything wrong with linux packaging and none of the right

>outdated
>retard maintainers
>ass backwards installation and symlink hell
>oops package manager broke itself
>completely bundled, no shared anything

...I'm going to hazard a guess and just assume that you hate all software like I do and that you'd just rather rant about it at the moment than concede that one specific set of software might be slightly less shitty than the rest

>ass backwards installation and symlink hell
>oops package manager broke itself
Sounds like pebcak to me

Is homebrew like zypper?

This only proves you have no job, because you shouldn't be able to see the background if you a employed person

i want you to know that i would care about your post more if your complaints had enough substantive details to them that i could engage. but i'm just going to write you off as one of those faggots who begs for us to pry more information out of you by posting vague contrarian horse shit.

homebrew:
brew: download and compile deps and put them in a little folder and symlink them to your Applications folder, pretty simple
brew bottle: download a binary and symlink it
brew cask: same as brew bottle

justworks

I think I've had literally one single problem with homebrew in the year I've been using OS X and it took a one-line command to fix, could not be easier

>he doesn't keep the Sup Forums filenames for his reaction pictures
this whole folder is basically useless without thumbnails

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

My biggest issue with the current Apple laptops is that the two things I would want to update, the RAM and SSD, I can't.

Otherwise yeah I agree they are good and not really over priced. Or at least not by much.

I just fucking hate how I can't put in a bigger SSD and up the RAM to 32GB because it is all soldered onto the main board :( For a "Pro" machine that kind sucks (I am fine with it on the consumer models i.e. MacBook and Air).

Win98 did that shit. Hell 95 probably did too.

>but then again, I don't know any autistic Sup Forums faggots with folders full of thousands of images named with UNIX timestamps.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

I

This is where I gloat about my laptop not thermal throttling to shit

Install Linux they said

Install ubunftu
Reboot
Drivers issues fucking everywhere
Can't play a swf local file
Ubuntu support is trash..update systems are retarded as fuck drivers need to be rewrited every six months

>not simply typing into the terminal

>root
>sudo apt-get backgroundmanager
>install backgroundmanager
>config backgroundermanager
>dir
>cd settings.bat
>edit display.sys
>cd source
>edit source.txt
>change source of picture from the stock picture to the file's directory of your choice
>f3, save and exit

It's really simple, OP. You're just impatient and want everything now.

Just type "sudo set-that-image-as-my-desktop-image" you idiot

Ubuntu unity default image viewer has a "set this image as background"

Stop lying

wut ?

>Meme
Kys pajeet

Firefox does this, though. Maybe stop using chrome? That's a browser problem, not OS.

That's browser related not GNU/Linux related you dumb tech illiterate.

.8ghz