TeamViewer denies hack after PCs hijacked, PayPal accounts drained

theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01/teamviewer_mass_breach_report/

>TeamViewer users say their computers were hijacked and bank accounts emptied after the software company's systems mysteriously fell offline. TeamViewer denies it has been hacked.

>In the past 24 hours, we've seen a spike in complaints from people who say their PCs and servers were taken over via the widely used remote-control tool on their machines. Even users with strong passwords and two-factor authentication enabled on their TeamViewer accounts say they were hit.

>It appears miscreants gained control of victims' TeamViewer web accounts, and used those to connect into computers, where they seized web browsers to empty PayPal accounts, access webmail, and order stuff from Amazon and eBay.

>"Hackers got everything from me," Doug, an Idaho-based Twitch streamer who was looking forward to celebrating his birthday today with his wife and two kids, told The Register.

>"They remote connected in at 5AM MT, went into my Chrome and used my PayPal to buy about $3k worth of gift cards. And yes, I had two-factor authentication."

>Over on Reddit, people were lining up with tales of their systems being compromised via TeamViewer, sparking fears the platform had been hacked. TeamViewer makes remote-control clients for Windows, OS X, Linux, Chrome OS, iOS and Android.

Christ on a bike I installed this for the first time yesterday to use it for a few hours.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/4m3cbp/so_i_was_one_of_them/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/4m3cbp/so_i_was_one_of_them/

>Trusting Pajeet tier "safe" malware

They deserved it

This is what people get for not having their automatic services under control.

guess who doesnt run teamviewer

smart people?

Pretty obvious what happened someone made a malware that tries logging into Teamviewer client the with hacked credentials originating from any 1 of 1000s dBs that got hacked and dumped online. Doesnt mean Teamviewer itself was the problem.

>teamviewer

their fault

>Unironically checking the "Keep me logged in" box
>Not clearing history and running Ccleaner every time you leave the PC
They were asking for it, any 5 year old wondering around the house could have done the same shit.

Would you only get hacked if u had teamviewer running? What if its installed on my computer and ive only used it like 2 times to help my technologically handicapped korean qt gf with stuff. Am i still in a danger?

oooo nooez!!!!!
u must delete system 32 if its appears on your PC, its a sign of a compromised system, do a quick search on you desktop and delete that shit asap

>>"They remote connected in at 5AM MT, went into my Chrome and used my PayPal to buy about $3k worth of gift cards. And yes, I had two-factor authentication."

The hell? Did the hackers remotely break into his house and steal his hardware token? If he really had 2FA this wouldn't have happened.

> >Trusting Pajeet tier "safe" malware
Exactly. Uninstalled as soon as I found that their GNU/Linux version is basically the Windows one wrapped in outdated Wine.

uninstall it tard. no app, no remoting in using it.

>have TV installed on one of my servers to remote in and out
>check paypal
>money still there
>check TV
>I was never logged in
>login was set to manual and not to "keep me logged in"

whew

2FA means 'mobile phone' nowadays.

>people actually had the teamviewer service running
Fuck. I've used Teamviewer a bunch of times myself but the first fucking lesson is not to leave an RPC service running when it doesn't need to be.

>do pic related with secure password
problem solved

>PayPal
>two-factor authentication

Isn't this a PayPal hack then?

Why would you use 3rd party software when literally any modern OS can do the same shit

Na, you see, they used Remember me options on their computers for things like Paypal and other shit, so when the hackers gained control of their computers they didn't need to auth themselves to do transactions.

This is basically just a security 101 lesson for people. I'm willing to bet a bunch of these people slipped up and posted Teamviewer info publicly as well, either in screenshots or streamed, so that hackers only had to do minimum effort to log in.

>used Remember me
>complaining

Holy shit so he is retarded.

Is there a way to bypass teamviewer commercial use detection?

I connect to lots of computers from single IP and it always starts to nag me after some time.

Prease

>didn't need to re-auth themselves

what's the point of 2fa then silly teamviewers

also why is that even an option

You all shit on TeamViewer and all, but what else to use, that would work on both Windows and Linux alike?

In before "ssh" - not everyone at work is willing to work over terminal, stop being autistic.

What?
2fa usually covers logins. The general idea is that if you use Remember me it would only be on a home computer. Often 2fa systems will also take into account your IP so if your computer got stolen and they connect from a new IP/different range it would hit them up with a reauth message.

But it really just comes down to the fact that they left a remote login system running which wasn't adequately secured. User stupidity.

>ssh
>terminal only
You can use ssh -X to get your gooies

just disabled TeamViewer from startup
im safe now?

Is the service still running?

Whatever. Co-workers wont use SSH.

Lack of replies only proved what I wanted to prove - that you can only shit on software but cant provide real alternative.

They need remote control software that would allow to control both Linux and Windows desktops from each other. TeamViewer is best option I saw so far.

And nobody dared to prove me otherwise.

>Whatever. Co-workers wont use SSH.

Your coworkers are retarded.

hth

All with PhD you moron.

I expected some autistic replies but come on.

>Im using solution X, is there alternative other than Y?
>HURR USE Y

looks like it isn't
since i can't access from the other pc

> tfw I knew it was a "botnet"
> it literally was
> I used it because I was lazy to setup vnc

be safe, use gentoo

Bomgar is supposed to be pretty good, or you could just run VNC

>6 characters
>Secure

wut

People, if you are a Twitch Pro Gaymer and you have managed to make a whole three thousand dollars from your career, you are awesome.

What is this TeamViewer and how is it better than ssh?

>Trusting pajeetware

Does this affect Macs?

>allowing remote access
>secure

>for the past few months received various emails asking to befriend some one in teamviewer
>wtf i dont think i have an account there *ignore*
>the emails keep on coming
>login on that shit
>>your account is being upgraded
>>logout out instantly
>ayy wtf??!?!?
>login again
>goto account settings
>remove the only session authorization in there
>and delete whole account
>...
>4 days later teamviewer users report getting hacked
for fuck sake i would rather ssh running on port 22 visible to the outside

if i used it months ago, am i still fucked?

>teamviewer has always been by definition a botnet
>normies cant into virus terminology
>"its safe to set up my computer to be accessed from anywhere"
>mfw this happens
>mfw it took THIS LONG for it to happen

compartmentalize fucking everything guy here
>mfw I only ran teamviewr inside of a vm
get fucked scrubs.

Its called VNC you inept fucking moron.

I'm talking about the password for unattended access, the 6 character password is randomly generated each time it starts up

Same just used it yesterday night
>inb4 ur fucked kiddo
>Inb4 hax 4 lufe
>Inb4 change your passwords

Just curious if other users like me who only connect with their friends once in awhile are in danger. I do not ever install team viewer btw, I just run it

So how about providing better software for that task instead of showing your "wisdom"?

the replies in this thread prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sup Forums is now a normie board

Because?

Please explain.

can someone suggest an alternative to punching yourself in the face please?
if you can't i will just have to keep doing it

>nonfree software
You get what you pay for

.>paypal is safe guys
>just link your card to it it will be fine guys no need for silly things like CV2 codes or expiration dates

boy howdy am i glad im not retarded enough to use team viewer

irrelevant if they stole names/pw's for the account :S

>normie
yes, you are part of the normalfag invasion

Just curious why you guys even have it? What do you even use it for?

They use it where I work at but I wasn't dumb enough to install it on my main computer like everyone else.

And for what you use remote desktop software?

You seriously compare using software like that to punching yourself to face?

Please, you are just embarrasing yourself.

Maybe you love to work remotely using ssh and text terminal, but not everyone consider this comfortable. Im done with all this old software from work that works only in text mode, having to scroll at all options and repeating everything if I make a typo.

ok buddy

Paypal is safe. You can only do so much to protect users from themselves.

I seriously doubt that TeamViewer was hacked; I have several PCs running it with no signs of bad activity, but I use a 16 character password with uppercase/lowercase/Symbols/Numbers so I assume that's why.

I also don't reuse passwords across services. I assume the Myspace and Linkedin breaches were the main reasons, along with password reuse.

it means they have a way to get access without needing that.

How do you explain then people using randomly generated, unique passwords and 2 factor authentication?

Vnc

>Not using VNC
>CURRENT_YEAR

>He kept 3k in a paypal account
Rich idiots getting robbed is hilarious

I don't understand how they got into people's Paypal accounts. Was it just that they gained access to a load of accounts that just happened to have their Paypal pages open? Can you even tell Paypal to remember your username and password?

>Save paypal credentials in firefox

Yeah some people are stupid.

JEWS

Why is pol always right?

>Doug, an Idaho-based Twitch streamer
So that's an actual job now.

I don't even know what the fuck is team viewer.

Then how about you type it into Google and spend one minute educating yourself before making a post you fucking sack of shit.

PREASE, U BASTAD

>You can use ssh -X to get your gooies
I have NEVER gotten that to wrek right, always have to use x2go

>compartmentalize fucking everything guy here
QubesOS, maximum security

Yes, you can. I know because I intentionally do not let it.

I can't image how people who are smart enough to know they they need TeamViewer, are dumb enough to not know the security implications.

It doesn't make sense to me.

cube os is basically a copy of what Ive been doing for the last 5 or so years. I just do it manually, and if I suspect a vm to be compromised then I remove all files I want and deem to be safe to reuse, delete the vm, and make a new one. Sometimes Ill use copy a template and use the copy to save time.

more like
>having teamviewer installed on your PC

The people I live with honestly couldnt even turn on my pc. Its a pain in the ass just to get it to post.
even if they did figure out the trick, they wouldnt make it past login.
even if they did make it past login, they have no concept of terminal commands.
x doesnt start by itself, they are fucked no matter what.
The filesystem isnt recognized by windows, let them take the hd..

>Hackers got everything from me
>used my PayPal to buy about $3k worth of gift cards

what, $3k is everything for fat americunts? How poor in the loo are you

btw never installed teamviewer, openvpn+vnc mustardosrace

>They need remote control software that would allow to control both Linux and Windows desktops from each other. TeamViewer is best option I saw so far.

openvpn+vnc, all open source. I admin a plethora of windows and linux workstations (and servers, but with them I use ssh naturally), all of them have vnc. Openvpn server with 2048bit keys and aes-ni support, works quite well.

I've kept this setup for like five years now, works for me

Most were from Ebay, eBay doesn't ask you for PayPal details twice in the same session.

>People in this thread posting VNC meme
>Don't understand VNC is not encrypted. Even if both parties manually setup encryption, VNC sends passwords in plaintext

There are no good alternatives

why do i care if vnc sends passwords over plaintext in my VLAN? My openvpn tunnel is encrypted.

>mfw installed ultraVNC on my ex company pc's
>even on the CEO's son
>all without passwords, at all

>that pic
Fucking wrecked

I installed teamviewer for 2 fucking days, right when that shit happens

Now I have to replace 2 fucking routers because I don't know if some chink fucked with them

reeeeeeeeeeee

>Now I have to replace 2 fucking routers

>tfw never used teamviewer

>tfw my grandpa has teamviewer installed so that i can help him help with tech related problems he's facing
>tfw worried if his computer is affected

By the way, what are trustworthy FOSS teamviewer alternatives? Are VNC servers alright?

# systemctl disable systemviewerd
worry worry

holy shit that's horrible. This is why we use standardized remote connection protocols.

and by that I mean don't trust other entities with connections to your computer.

*teamviewerd

I don't understand why all programs aren't sandboxed.

sounds pretty good for normies who fail for silly tricks

>In before "ssh" - not everyone at work is willing to work over terminal, stop being autistic.
Get off Sup Forums this instant, this is a technology board. If using tech is 'autistic' you fucking need to get off here

Being afraid of terminal is a golden sign you're not technologically inclined, and do not belong here