Don't know much about GPU's but I have an AMD R9 200 series it looks like pic related with the copper/brass looking...

Don't know much about GPU's but I have an AMD R9 200 series it looks like pic related with the copper/brass looking tubes on the bottom.
It's having issues with running Dark souls 3 and staying at roughly 40ish I'm not sure if that's the cap for the game itself that FROM put into the game but I assume not. Is it time to upgrade?

Jesus christ

What you just did is say
>I have a car but it only goes 80mph, it kinda looks like this and it has 4 wheels and some doors, it's a volkswagen by the way is something wrong with my car?

what cpu do you have?
that is most likely the issue

there are many 200 series card models, and quite a few with copper heat pipes. that said, even the 290X is getting a little old. either get a GTX 1070, GTX 1080, RX 480 (or two of them), or wait for AMD's new flagship in the coming months

If mine still had the cover on it this would've been alot easier but yeah I know it's a very generalized statement but somebody might know which card

Post exact card.
Post budget.

Some fucking crazy named APU with 2 gigs of video memory I believe. I would tell you everything about it or pics but it's not with me currently I'll try and find the CPU for you

I just know it's an r9 200 series. Budget is roughly 600~ maybe more

if you have that budget, 1080. it will kick the crap out of any R9 2XX series card

AMD A10-7870k APU is what I have

GPU-Z, asshole.

The fella might be on a 1080p screen. A GTX 1080 would be total overkill.

he can always upgrade the screen later. also he could be running a high refresh rate panel.

Guy cannot figure what card he has, you think he has a high refresh screen?

Still looking into monitors. A cheap one that works well is fine. I just want a good card to swap into a new build soon and get another same card for dual

Can't figure out what kind of card I have because it's not with me currently and I knew it was nothing special anyways so I never bothered to remember the card. It's starting to artifact also

Sounds like your card would be able to run darksouls III, its not a performance issue, its a heating up issue.
Especially if you have artifacts.
Sounds like a dead fan.
Download GPU-Z, and go to your Computer properties to check your CPU aka Processor.
And display properties to check your resolution.

I would recommend the new 480 for 1080p.

Don't fall for the dual GPU scam

Not buying into the dual 480 until I know what I'm buying if that's what your saying

It runs dark souls just fine but it doesn't artifact from heating issues I don't think because it stays at roughly 65~C°

I think he thought you were going to buy another R9 2XX to Crossfire.
Dual RX 480 should be far better in DX12/Vulkan, but have similar issues to older CF in DX11/OpenGL

That R9 2xxis going out anyways I was just going to take it to try and get a shroud from AMD or somewhere and go to my local pawnshop to hock it there then crossfire 2 of these things that I have lying around in there but idk if it'd work with the apu or what problems they'd cause

Unfortunately you also need windows 10 for DX12, making dual cards really unfortunate.
Hopefully DX12 gets shafted and everything gets ported to Vulkan but I don't see that happening.
The single 480 looks good though, consider waiting for the 490 instead. Single beefy cards are better in everything.
But for the cutting edge of the new APIs, multicarding actually works.

It's not so much a case of multicarding being better in the new APIs, it's a case of multicarding actually working.

Multiple gpu' work well in most AAA titles after launch.

Single cards are better than multi cards but I'm just looking for cards to hold me over for now until I have the money for making a new rig.
Thinking about a motherboard that has multiple CPU slots on it and making one super expensive build or two different builds

Fuck I shouldn't have gotten a 280x last year. But it was fairly cheap, $150. It was adequate for my budget and if I decided to look for something different, it'd be a GTX 950. Why would I buy that?

I just wish I could maybe trade this and pay some more, get something better (on the nvidia side that is, because I'm sick of AMD after years and years of the same bullshit)

Consider pawning it?

Yeah but it's being a pain in the butt so far and I'm not really sure a 960 would be better (which would still be quite a bit more expensive).

Just get something that will last and isn't a POS.
You can always buy something better in the future

Yeah, I was just looking for an equivalent that wasn't AMD.

But to be fully honest the only reason I'm doing this is so I don't have performance issues on linux. I have considered instead to do this GPU passthrough thing and use my intel HD 4600 but I'm not even sure that can handle 1080p videos.

What's wrong with AMD?

My issue is that despite my efforts I haven't managed to get rid of slowdowns on KDE or Gnome 3 with any drivers, both wayland and xorg and DRI3 enabled. The only success I have which is really fucking weird is on Ubuntu with unity. Of course I can also use XFCE or MATE but I just don't happen to want that.

So I hear a lot of people going "oh this works perfectly on my PC", they're taking away support for proprietary drivers and developing some that aren't compatible with this card yet and putting 2 and 2 together I assume that I would be better off on the nvidia side. I do play games a bit regularly but I'd rather not stay on Windows.

>not stay on Windows.
Then just dual boot.
nVidia face as many issues on Linux as AMD do. Why? because the market share is low enough to warrant neither company paying any attention to it.

The struggle of Linux distro bro
I'm converting soon from shilldose10

Nvidia linux drivers are much much better.

I dual boot already but I experience those issues

However I just don't buy that KDE or Gnome 3 are supposed to stutter no matter how good specs are.

Better is by no means a byword for "good" in this context.