GTX 1070 vs Radeon RX480 thread

GTX 1070 vs Radeon RX480 thread

Other urls found in this thread:

hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility/
youtube.com/?v=M3TvcDXbcNA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Okay, so euh whadda ya wanna talk about?

Well which one will you prefer and why.

Well i quess the 480 since it will be about 300 bucks less and it performs as well as a R9 390. In theory that is.

Also i'm a bit done with Nvidia, i've bought into the 670 a few years back. Should've went AMD instead.

RX480 because i dont want to spend more than 300$ on a graphics card. That said, i currently have a 560Ti which was a great card as well.

im considering getting two 480s. i run 4 monitors. how do you think two would compare to the 1070 and 1080?

If the 480 can overclock well nobody will even care about the 1070.

it can not overlock , it is confirmed by Lisa Su.
I will buy it anyway
fuck nvidia
it will also get better with time[with drivers]

this again
well i've been on a 750Ti for several years, and just upgraded my system to a skylake build. I have yet to upgrade the GPU.

I'll probably upgrade to the 1070 in a few months alongside a new monitor, as my current one is only 1080p.

I don't understand why Sup Forums loves to fight so much over gpu's. It's literally preference

>Well which one will you prefer
RX489
>and why.
I'm jewish, I like my $hekels

wait for benchmarks and actual retail prices

no it is not literally preference
it is also not REALLY preference

you are such retard
I m triggered

480 is good for poorfags, 1070 is good for people with more disposable income and want to maximize their value.

Not really much to discuss.

I am on a GTX 960 but I think i will go for the 480 or 470 depending on my needs.

Mainly need 10 bit hevc encode which the gtx 960 doesnt support.

Lisa didn't even talk about the GPU, but Zen.

>15-20% faster for $250 more

Yeah, value.

Neither is out
Neither is benchmarked
Neither has a retail price

The only thing to compare them on is cosmetics of their stock coolers

Why have 1070 when you can have 2x480 for same price?

then buy 2 480s and now you have more performance than a 1080 and still probably spent less than you'd spend for a 1070. Leave it to nvidia goys to understand "value"

Lets talk AMD and Polaris before this thread get derailed. AMD seems to have made a card that will use all of the features of newer API's(Vulkan and DX12) How long until devs start adapting. Also AMD is pushing multi GPU setups and the new APIs should support that well...I hope.

/thread

>more disposable income and want to maximize their value.
>maximise value
pay 40% more for 10% faster card, lol (if the 1070 will go for $350, which I doubt)

It will if Nvidia plans to sell the card to anyone but hardcore fanboys.

> 480 is for poorfags

Or you know, people who can handle their money in a better way.

Also after i've heard of the >3.5 .
I stopped supporting Nvidia all together.

why do nvidiots keep saying the 1070 will cos $350? it's clearly priced at $380+

Reference GTX 1070 is $450.
Reference RX 480 is $199.

right now you can preorder it for 500 euroes in my country (the 1070).

my fucking government multiplies the price difference between cheap cards and expensive ones.

I dont even consider $350 + gpus (since its 500euros + for me)

Go to the other thread to shit talk

>~15% faster for almost twice the price
>value

ITT: Battle of the poorfags

Successful people don't become wealthy by wasting money.

>the fuckin' nvidia goyums in this thread
>"nvidia is all about muh performance, pay more for better graphics and moar fps
>NVidia literally twice as expensive
>literally marginal gain
> crossfire 480 and you beat a 1080
>"b-b-but poorfags buy amd, poorfags, pay moar to get moar, nvidia performance...

You are a bunch of disgusting mongoloid faggots. I actually enjoyed my 970 event after the 3,5 meme but it is beyond me why anyone would pay 200$ more for a card that's not substantially better.

You know why rich people are rich??? they dont waste money you fucking idiot.

even if you are rich now, its just a matter of time before you become a poorfag with such a mental attitude.

Makes me sorta regret going with a mini-ITX build.

Since Pasclel can't overclock for shit, if GCN4.0 can AMD has this in the bag.

where is the crossfire connector on this card??

480, because of things like GPUOpen and their open-source Linux driver

Removed because crossfire is shit admitted by Lisu Su and Pajeet himself

Are they even competitors?
The 380 was matched with the 960, so why compare a better, more expensive card to a cheaper one?

and how did they beat the gtx 1080 with 2 crossfire rx480

cucked by nshitia

Nvidia users are scared so they are rebelling with hate. I studied this in a online class.

They dont need a physical interface on the card itself anymore, its done through the pci-e port

Seconding this.

>tfw I was hunting for something to upgrade a bit my 750ti paired up with fx6300
>got guy who was selling month old EVGA 960 4GB for 30 bucks less than new one
>thought he was a chump, bought it
>tfw the chump was me
>I should have waited

i-it doesn't have DVI ports anyway...

They lied and you fools gobbled it up

well, you have 1 month to prove they lied to prevent me from buying it.

oh, makes sense. thx bro

Should I sell my 390 and buy a 480?

Only if it overclocks really well, at stock it's around 10-15% faster.
Unless you care about power consumption like some fag.

lolno
you have no one to blame but yourself. everyone knew new cards were right behind the corner

If you can manage to sell the 390 for $200, then by all means

>i-it doesn't have DVI ports anyway...
they'll probably ship this with the card (pic related)

A generation of AMD fanboys are going to buy in to the crossfire hype train.

>2 480s will out perform a 1080! LMAYYO SUCH VALUE! Can't wait for those crossfire driver updates!

I feel so sorry for them.

hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility/

>In the simplest terms AMD has created a product that runs hotter and slower than its competition's new architecture by a potentially significant margin.

>Successful people don't become wealthy by wasting money
>You know why rich people are rich??? they dont waste money you fucking idiot.
It's not wasted if you want the best performance and you make enough. The GTX1080 gives me that. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it's shit, it means you're poor and need to make more

How stable is CF nowadays? Are there still shitloads of issues with uneven frametiming / microstutters / whatever?

Not for $200.
It has HDMI though which converts to DVI much more handily.

kys shitposter

ennn...don't feel bad. Vega is on the way.

well, my main display has dp.. I'm concerned about my secondary display (which is shit, only vga suport)

i'll probably have to buy a new secondary monitor or a hdmi to vga connector

This. Unless DX12/Vulken has as good duel gpu support that they've been clamoring, never again.

the card has hdmi
you can use any ordinary hdmi to dvi cable

also this is just the reference design

But I have a 7870 that is getting REAL hot and REAL loud and I just want to move on already

>buying AMD or Nvidia reference

Why are we even talking about this? Wait another month for factory OCd models with more performance, way less temperatures and noise and then compare.

Get a new monitor. HDMI has no analogue outputs, you'd need to be getting an active convertor.

Didn't mean to quote anyone.
Ignore that.

I'm really having a hard time deciding if I should spend $1000 on my new rig with the AMD card and buying a Vive or just go insane and build a $2000 i7 rig with the meme 1080 and skipping the VR for now. Fucking choices.

>spending 800$ makes you rich

I guess you just need $200, from a 7890 it's going to be a huge difference.

1k rig + VR will be at least much more fun. if you dont like the vive or get bored by VR in general, sell it in six months and buy Vega/big Pascal.
I was able to try a Rift for one day and even the shittiest demos were fun to play

Are AMD cards not shit on Linux? Probably the only thing stopping me from getting one over Nvidia because I'm uneducated.

>being jealous
Indeed, 800$ is nothing

to his defence, it makes him rich in his own mind for a short period of time, before the buyers remorse kicks in

AMD cards are your best bet for Linux. Though, you will take a hit in performance on Linux compared to Windows.

Pretty much this, but the driver is becoming better every single day

Reading this isn't really making me any more confident in investing on AMD, I'm trying to move away from Windows and the only reason I haven't completely transitioned is because there's this one game I really like to play multiplayer kinda runs like ass through Wine.

If AMD hadn't fucked up at computex so hard I might have actually considered switching to a 480 from a 1070.
Why didn't they just show single gpu performance and use a game besides AOTS? Yes, AMD cards get impressive performance in this game but it's an outlier and is definitely a cherry picked result.
I'll still wait for actual benchmarks but with the 1070 being only like $130 more and delivering pretty much Titan X level performance I'm not so sure about the 480.

Amd not letting people verify gamebsettings when they show off new gpus is putting me off though. Massive red flag

See image on
Split Screen rendering, 1st GPU works on one side of the screen and the 2nd works on the other. It eliminated frame by frame rendering which gives you all the previous problems DX12 and maybe Vulkan, no support in DX11

The 1070 performs like the titanX according to nvidia's cherry picked results.

Wait for third party benchmarks before forming an opinion, because both AMD and nvidia cherrypick and squeeze the everloving shit out of their 'example benchmarks'.
They're squeezed so hard that they're useless.

That's what I might do then. I've been so excited for VR but was hesitant until they announced the 480. I can build a good i5 PC with that GPU for under $1000 that should last me for 5 years or so and by then 4K capable GPUs will be much cheaper. What demos did you play? I feel like EVE could become an addiction.

in 2 years, aka newer cards will do it better

only the reference version or all versions ?

>Wait for the third party benchmarks
I did. The NDA lifted a few days ago and a shit ton of benchmarks came out for the 1070.
It actually does perform very close to the titan X and 980ti.

Are you fucking stupid or what? Reviews have been out since Sunday

If 480 already better then 1070 how good will be 480X

Are they even doing that?

Nvidia does the same shit.

Ignore everything that comes from the companies themselves, it's all lies.

Price / performance the RX480 win
Power consumption the RX480 win
heating is still unknown

But I'll just wait that AMD release their GPU that will be ~400 - 600€

the 480 is not anywhere as good as the 1070. If anything it's going to try and compete with the 1060.

youtube.com/?v=M3TvcDXbcNA
2 minutes in. Runs alright.
The native resolution of the monitor is 1080p, but it uses VSR to reach 1440p.
Suppose this is the best we got

He doesn't know Nvidia worked with the developers of AotS after AMD

Elaborate

The inflated electricity bill would make up for that difference.

Sod Nvidia, though. Friend of mine is looking at getting a new GPU and can't even consider AMD, because he's effectively locked in by his Gsync monitor.

League?

Thats not the point. Its $199 and it's out soon. and you can buy 2 of them for nearly less than a single 1070.

It really just depends what you want from the card.
I'm fortunate enough to be in a position that I am able to spend a bit more money, so I'm not entirely concerned with price/performance.
The 1070 may not win against the 480 in terms of price/performance, but in terms of raw single gpu performance it's definitely going to outperform the 480.
Also, the 1070 is out sooner. Not sure what you're point in saying that was.

Proprietary driver: Nvidia
Free driver: AMD

I don't want to deal with proprietary drivers, so I prefer AMD on Linux. My old HD6850 has kept up with my needs, but I'm hardly a heavy gamer. Don't think I've run anything more demanding than Dota 2.

Imagine when it stutters on DX12
The 2 halves o fthe screen doing completely different things

Well, then I think the simply boxy design of the 480 is better than the stealth fighter look of the 1070.