Dude is offering to sell 5 of these for $100. Anyone have any idea what sort of processors are in these things...

Dude is offering to sell 5 of these for $100. Anyone have any idea what sort of processors are in these things? They're supposed to be old servers

mite b cool for a project

Not worth that
Hardware won't be that great for anything.
You could do miles better for 150 on some newer but still used parts.

gotcha

What are the specs on those?

Well the mobo is old as shit, since it only has PCI and PCIX slots. Probably from 2003 or older. So the CPUs are probably slow trash. You might find some use out of the chassis, drives, and PSU if you need some budget gear though. The memory might be worth something to someone.

eh, might be able to repurpose the chassis but the guy wants way too much for em

thanks anyway

You could sell the casing for 30 bucks a piece. That's a respectable 50 percent profit margin.

And who know how much gold you can dig in them.

perhaps.
if you're keen i'll give ya the link but i'm prolly gonna let it pass

ehh
Most I see in there are PCI-X slots which simply translates to 'useless in the real world'

I got a similar vintage HP DL380 server which does nothing more than take up space under my bed.

CPUs are likely similar to this.
Netburst Xeons, so bad/10.

>IDE ribbon cables
Trash it.

Any sort of servers that don't feature atleast LGA771, PCI-E and SATA/SAS drives are useless/10.

The PSU is the only thing worth something in those since they're generally pretty good and can be made into some damn nice Lab power supplies.

LGA771 is useless, don't lie to yourself. 1366 and up or just trash it.

user, if you see there IDE connections then hardware it totally not worth it, unless you are intentionally building some sort of "retro" computer. That guy is just trying to make at least some small money from his garbage. You can buy one, it's just 20 bucks and you install some win2k or win98 and play some old-school games on it, but there's no use for 5. Also that case looks interesting to me, I'd mod one and build a modern system inside.

So just buy one.

3 PSU, In some places that's >$100/month

Lol no, that's a server not a retro gayming PC. It would be stupid to get it for that.

>IDE only

For consumer desktops that's bad. For servers that's absolutely ancient. This guy probably picked these up from scrap.

Look like NetBurst Xeon or Opteron systems.

Maybe for $10 or $20 each they'd make a fun beginner system to mess with and have that "enterprise(TM)" feel but a lot of 5 for $100? No way, there's much cooler shit to spend it on if you just want something interesting and (once) high-end.

Though, if that thing's really running on IDE disks that's kind of disgusting.

>Most I see in there are PCI-X slots which simply translates to 'useless in the real world'
How, exactly? There were plenty of cards made for PCI-X, mostly networking and storage-related, as well as graphics cards as well (mostly from 3Dlabs for workstations)

For the time, PCI-X isn't really too bad.

PCI-X was double the bandwidth, great for RAID and NIC controllers

PCI-X was de facto actually for servers before PCI-E

Hardware is too outdated to be useful, but the case and redundant PSUs could be worth it if you're looking to build your server anyway.

>Hardware is too outdated to be useful
How much power do you think you need for a home server with at most 3-4 users at a time on a shitty home GigE network? Really the only thing this stuff would suck shit at for a typical /hsg/ blogger type is virtualization/home lab shit, even with the shitty IDE disks in it.

That's not necessarily true. I have a dual 771 2.8/1600/12m quad with 16gb RAM if I upgraded the graphics it could play any new game under the sun with no issues.

Nope, it's gonna shutter like a bitch, even if you get high framerates.
Dual CPU is really bad for gayming, also your CPU lacks SSE4, etc.

Nice BTX boards, haven't seen a lot of them im my entire life

Not true newfriend. 771 can be very reasonably priced for the right workloads.