The newest version of XFCE is 4.12 but the current Debian Stable image only comes with 4.10

The newest version of XFCE is 4.12 but the current Debian Stable image only comes with 4.10.

What's the best way upgrading XFCE without moving to the unstable release?

By installing a better distro: ubuntu

If you were in arch, you could do it with a single command :^)

>using stable for a desktop
Fucking retard.

>By installing a better distro: fedora
ftfy

Build it from source

By install Gentoo GNU+Linux.

hahaha no.
I tipped though

>People falling for "stable means stable" meme
hahaha newfags

Don't feel like checking but isn't it in the backports?

I don't know, man. As someone who used Xubuntu and then Kubuntu for months, switching to Fedora has made my life easier. It's a lot more stable than any version of Ubuntu.

Move to testing/stretch, it's stable enough for a desktop system.
Or find a third party repo from which you can install 4.12.

I also heard you can fine-tune APT to specify which packages to get from which repo. You could setup APT to get xfce4 (4.12.3) and its dependencies from debian/stretch and keep the rest using the stable repos.
You may end up in a dependency hell and/or with conflicting librairies though.

Use debian-backports or any other custom repository if you REALLY need 4.12 on stable branch. But keep in mind that backports might fuck up system and it's actually worse than using pure testing repositories. Or you can build it by yourself.

Debian stable is so fucking old, just use testing or use a different distro desu. I used testing for a decent while without anything breaking.

>he expects current packages with Debian
ayyy lmao

>try to install a deb package with one slightly outdated dependency
>whole system commits sudoku and can't even start Xorg anymore
Welcome to the Debian experience OP

apt-pinning.

seems like testing is using 4.12

Add it to your repos and upgrade it.

>By installing the best distro: gentoo
ftfy

How is your Gentoo VM going?

Stuck at partitioning the disk, but still doing stronk.

Give me one example of Xubuntu breaking that doesn't have anything to do with upgrading (which shouldn't be done in any non rolling release distro). KDE is unstable piece of shit so sure enough it could break. Good luck.

Don't use debian

legit kek

This has legit happened to me. Apt can be such a cheesy bell end sometimes, but I still can't pull myself away from it.

I'm thinking I should give openSUSE Leap or memehat a try soon, but I can't decide.

Compile it for yourself

You guys seem to a have mispelled Arch.

>installed debian for a friend
>deleting some packages he doesn't need
>apt-get autoremove
>not paying attention and hit enter
>notice too late it's deleting tons of shit
>completely fucked system
whoops

Though some of their dependencies are so retarded

Compile it from source you lazy fuck. Why the fuck are you even using Debian Stable if you want to use recent versions of software? Don't you understand it's stable because it uses older software?

Don't install a outdated distro?

>using the smiley with a carat nose

I did :) Arch is great if you want fresh packages, I'm enjoying every bit of it.