What do I do with this thing?

What do I do with this thing?

It's a late 2005 power Mac g5 by the looks of it. I can't turn it on because I don't have the special snowflake power cord, where can I get a power cord? I want to use this for something. Maybe as some sort of server

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C19.2FC20_coupler
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5
g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB12BGnJpXXXXbXXVXXq6xXFXXXN/FOR-New-original-Danish-power-cord-Apple-G5-MAC-PRO-host-Volex-party-card-slots.jpg
cdn3.volusion.com/wkumr.mdacr/v/vspfiles/photos/PCG5-EU-A-2.jpg?1347957925
ncix.com/detail/tripp-lite-p034-010-heavy-duty-power-94-123868.htm
ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Apple-Heavy-Duty-Power-Cord-for-Select-PowerMac-G5-2GHz-Quad-/231952010212?hash=item36016acbe4:g:O2YAAOSwU1FXQJ2m
ebay.com/itm/Apple-PowerMac-G5-Rectangle-6FT-AC-Power-Cord-Cable-for-Dual-and-Quad-New-/320671696533?hash=item4aa985c695:m:mRpBPsGyVwFRHBeom5AaDHQ
ebay.com/itm/Power-Cord-IEC320-C19-to-5-15P-/182137026002?hash=item2a683675d2:g:gcoAAOSwMr1XPLAJ
ebay.com/itm/US-AU-AC-Power-Cord-Heavy-Duty-for-Apple-Power-Mac-G5-Mac-Pro-922-5950-Cable-/121831552001?var=&hash=item1c5db9f401:m:m6F-hRzwwoEPDelJJOMN6XQ
ebay.ca/itm/NEW-5-15P-Male-to-C19-Female-Power-Cord-for-Server-workstation-Power-Mac-/400633798478?hash=item5d47a29f4e:g:LFQAAOSwd0BVwrYq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>G5 as a server

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Power Macs are pretty useless. You need a PPC OS, so software made for newer versions of OSX won't work.

My advice: Use it for a heater. Or gut it and turn it into an aquarium.

there's conversion kits to fit a proper modern motherboard. make a hackintosh I reckon.

What if I gut it, paint it a new color and use it as a case for a new build?

Install 10.4 and 9.2.2 on it, enjoy a system that will rip nearly every PPC Mac OS application apart with ease.

>You need a PPC OS, so software made for newer versions of OSX won't work.
So? The software they run is just fine.

1) do not paint it
2) G5 case mods are extremely hard to pull off, you need to properly plan shit out so you don't ruin the case
3) some of the stuff in there is actually ok, take the G5 internals, Assemble them inside a cardboard box or something

see
>there's conversion kits to fit a proper modern motherboard

put an amd and it will run better than intel 6300

This desu
Even if you succeed, you just end up ruining something interesting to turn it into another mundane gamer shitbox with a hipster-friendly case.

Don't be a dick OP, considering you wanted to paint it you'd be better off just selling it and buying a nicer standard case if you don't want to do anything useful with it.

Just because there's a kit for it doesn't mean it will be successful or come out looking good in the end. Getting the tools and parts isn't hard, it's making it not look like shit that is.

Use it as a case and hackintosh the internals.

Older universal OS X software runs just fine, it did the job back then you think it wont now?

Also PPC Debian is just fine and up to date, as an alternative.

It has 3.5 gb of ram it seems not bad for an old machine.

I wish Steve Jobs wasn't such a hipster and had special power cords.

Mine's hooked up to my TV. Runs 1080p movies and such just fine. Doubles as a file server. I have unmetered electricity so I couldn't give a shit about its power consumption.

If you have enough memory (mine's got 8GB DDR1) it'll browse the Internet using TenFourFox just fine.

G5s don't support native OS 9, but if you're using OS 10.4 you can install Classic.

I think they're actually standard cords, I've seen them used on servers before, probably higher-amp cables since the G5 was a hell of a chip.

Take a look at the configuration info on the lower edge on the side of the case, see what model you've got.

I have a 2 GHz dual core late '05 model, they've got a lot of life left in them and are some of the fastest desktop non-x86 systems you can buy.

I did this. It's more of a hassle than it's worth. Also the paint doesn't stay on that well.

result

No it doesn't look standard, each strip is just rotated 90 degrees.

Its also the a1117 model. I don't know which exact version.

I just don't want the apple logo cause I probably won't make a hackintosh.

eugh
if you're going to destroy something for "aesthetics" at least don't ruin the aesthetics (at least any more than you did by cutting up the clean rear I/O layout to fit clunky looking ATX shit in)

>No it doesn't look standard, each strip is just rotated 90 degrees.
Well, there are different standards. I've seen it on other non-Apple boxes before, just can't remember where.

Also, there's an inventory of the stock configuration right where the side panel slides in, on a grey strip.

I painted it because apple is gay

I think the back looks fine. No pic though

ohp, its a quad core with a 6600 and 250gb hdd

It is standard, IEC C19, search for it.

Its mainly used to power high current IT equipment like servers.

>apple is gay
>uses an apple case

Found it en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320#C19.2FC20_coupler

At that point you can just buy a Lian Li PC-V1000 (a pretty good G5/Mac Pro clone but without the handlebars) in black and got the same look. Half the reason hipsters destroy these things is because of the clean aluminum look.

>it's a fucking quad
Yeah, please don't mod that. Probably one of the most desirable PPC systems there is, and very rare.

If you don't want to put it to work but still want to mod it, sell it for $150-$300 on eBay and buy an older 1.6 GHz single-processor model, those things are dime a dozen, Quads aren't, and someone would treasure that thing just as it is.

Seconded. Quad G5s are hard to get hold off and I'm desperate to get my jewclaws on one myself. You can find G5 chassis and shittier models online for cheap.

Honestly, you could probably get the cord somewhere, but this comp is so outdated by this point that you'd be better of buying a 400 laptop with the same specs.

Fuck me man its a G5 Quad.
The power cable is available really easily, just search for C19 Power cable/cord in ebay.

That thing looks like shit. The whole reason I like the g5 case is because of the clean, minimal front which is one solid piece of mesh top to bottom

well, install gentoo onto it.

>G5 Quad
so?
Core2Duo is still fucking better in every regards.

They're about equal according to most metrics.

>b-but this plays gaymes better
who cares

nice tech is nice tech

No it wasn't.

>special snowflake power cord
It takes a regular power cord you dumbass
Use it as a desktop or server, it'll work great for both

>I can't afford $10 a month
Everybody point and laugh at the poorfag

OS X 10.5 is still a great OS, not to mention there's OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Debian, Gentoo, and more available.

Sell it and buy a broken one if you're planning to ruin it.

So they're not made anymore and there are still people who would love to have one. Plus you're wrong.

abominable

i have the laserhive kit on my G5, it looks OK but..

>there is no way to manage cables in a G5

>everything is backwards upside-down BTX stye

>G5 use a 1U PSU so theres no-where to put an ATX

>to use the OE front panel you need a firewire header

>there aren't enough PCIE slots on the back

1. Buy the power cord off of ebay.
2. Buy two G5 Quad-core CPUs and install
3. Install Debian PPC on it and use it as a desktop machine or server.

I have no idea what kind of speed you can expect with two 11 year old Quad-core PPC CPUs, but it ought to be decent enough.

>So they're not made anymore and there are still people who would love to have one.
Nor are Core2Duo's
>Plus you're wrong.
Naa, mate.

Yeah but a G5 quad is more than your run of the mill desktop
>Nah
But that's wrong, you massive dumbass.

OP's already got a quad (2xDC) system, there were no quad-core G5s.

DC G5s are still pretty good, a little inefficient, but they run just fine, especially with their fast DDR2 memory, SATA disks and PCI express bus.

I was given a G5 last week, no HD's and missing the screws for the C drive. Not sure if its power pc or Intel. Apple store said they don't give out/sell the OS for it any more.

Is it worth any £ as it stands? It came from an office, owner was paranoid so took out the HDs, it does have the original power cord. I know it's too much hassle to install a windows system inside...

In that case wikipedia is wrong (which is not surprising).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5

>CPU 1.6 – 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5
>Single-processor
>Dual-processors, single-core
>Dual-core
>Dual-processors, dual-core quad-core

Core 2 Duo was just one step in a long line of x86 CPUs.

The G5 was the end of the line for Apple's PPC generation. That's why it's collectible.

>G5
>not sure if it's PowerPC or Intel

The quad core part shouldn't be there, top of the line G5 had dual dual-core processors.

>I know nothing about macs, have built pcs since 1990, why would I know what's inside?

There's no such thing as an Intel G5 user, that's no excuse.

Would this be the highest performance PPC machine released as a desktop PC?

I was told by a macfag there was, I have no clue about them, try get leaving your basement once in a while...

If it's the dp dual-core 2.5GHz model, then yes.

>try get leaving your basement once in a while..
>he hurt my feelings :c he's obviously a basment dweller
epik

>tfw I got it for free from a guy I was working for

Do they really go for that much if I try to sell it? I can probs get my hands on a power cord this after noon.

>Do they really go for that much if I try to sell it?
A few hundred dollars

Stop the press.... I had one half a year ago and its power-cable was the same as the normal ones. I actually have the cable in the back of my pc right now and it is just the standard connector.
If the pins are turned as you say it is then somethings wrong.
Also I sold it with just some in-package random ass power-cable i just had lying around so no, it is not a snowflake cable

The PowerPC G5 was not an Intel processor, thus the Power Mac G5 was not an Intel system.

Screws and caddies are not difficult to find at all. Depending on what's in it, it's worth anywhere from $50 up to $300 or even $500.

"Quad core" was the marketing name Apple gave the dual-processor Power Mac G5 featuring a pair of dual-core PowerPC 970MP processors, there were never any actual Quad core G5s produced.

Apple had a hard enough time keeping a pair of dual core G5s cool with a custom liquid solution.

Absolutely. PowerPC was pretty much relegated to embedded roles after that and a G5 quad will probably take on those overpriced Amigatard money grabs with ease.

Nothing's wrong at all, the dual-core models use a different higher-amp cable.

Easy way to see if it is a intel or a PPC is the optical drive (front) 1 drive then its a g5 PPC, 2 drives then it is a Intel

No it's simply not the same. I just came back from my local computer recycling store and they didn't have the cable either. I'm gonna have to order one most likely

>muh shekels

Fuck apple.

It's not Apple's fault IBM made such a power hungry chip they needed to swap over to a server-grade power supply for it.

It's still a standard plug, just not the one you're used to. Definitely not a special snowflake one

ebin

Justy google it, the ones that was sold here in Denmark had the normal cable, so I'm sorry.
This is the one i have g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB12BGnJpXXXXbXXVXXq6xXFXXXN/FOR-New-original-Danish-power-cord-Apple-G5-MAC-PRO-host-Volex-party-card-slots.jpg

Here is the snowflake Non-danish cable.
cdn3.volusion.com/wkumr.mdacr/v/vspfiles/photos/PCG5-EU-A-2.jpg?1347957925

You just had an older model that used a typical cable.

Yeah some dude mentioned the name ITT so I'm looking around.

I'm definitely going to use this thing as some type of server if its got dual dual-cpus.

>I can't read
It's not a special snowflake cable you dumbass.

>iec 60320 c20
>not iec 60320 c14
fucking applel snowflakes
just nigger rig that shit man, open the psu and solder in some lead on that, or replace the fucking connector with a decent one

4/10

Mod it and make it into an ATX Case.
Having a powerful dual Xeon Machine in one of these things would be really cool.

>both are standard plugs
>somehow one is a special snowflake

Fuck off you piece of shit

>use foreign connector to charge applecucks in 'murrika $50 per cable
>not special snowflake

>Red Macbook skin
>Red Curtains
>Blue accents on Model M

Literally why? It looks great on its own, but really doesn't fit in there.

this desu senpai

Also advised to sand off the Apple logo and etch your own on there unless you want to advertise your homosexuality.

>moddertards are back
Why do all of you fags want to destroy nice working G5s when there are tons of cheap and not-so-rare Mac Pros saturating the market in droves that use the same case, already run high-end x86 hardware and are more expandable anyway?

>nice working
>G5

Pick one.

It's not foreign, it's for machines that draw more current, which the G5 quads do.

>install gentoo
this

But that's wrong you dumbass.

>not-so-rare Mac Pros

A friend of mine found 4 working G5's sitting on the road, literally on the fucking side walk. He used the two without HDD's to build a coffee table out of them and sold the other 2 on ebay for like 15 bucks each, meanwhile Mac Pros from 2006 go for upwards of 60 bucks..

Nice try desu senpai

I would do this if it wasn't a quad g5 with 3.5gb of ram and two HDDs

It clear this thing was worth over $3000 when it was in its prime. I just want to turn it on but I need a stupid $50 cable to do so.

ncix.com/detail/tripp-lite-p034-010-heavy-duty-power-94-123868.htm

Can you go shit up another thread with your shitty greentext memes? This isn't Reddit.

I am about 90% certain that plug is used on a lot of printers and probably has a particular name that is not related to Apple.

Look it up by that name and you can probably find it on ebay for about $3.

Might be something like this user is talking about

>What do I do with this thing?

Collect your home's value in fire insurance.

Nice anecdotes, my niggerposting friend.

>omg guise lets blog about my old mac xdd
>This isn't Reddit.

>$50
nigga what the fuck, check ebay or something, they're not that expensive

>whines about blogging
>on Sup Forums
lmao
feeling a little perturbed that nobody cares about your new falcon guide gaming build in the guts thread?
>cancerous reaction pics
is that way my child

>mactoddler thinks Sup Forums is his personal hugbox blog

yawn
does Sup Forums even try anymore or are you pretty much down to spamming copypasta until it sticks at the right moment?

keep hanging in there friendo, you'll get into an r/Sup Forums screecap eventually ;)

>I just want to turn it on but I need a stupid $50 cable to do so.

No you don't. You can buy the exact original cable right here for $25

ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Apple-Heavy-Duty-Power-Cord-for-Select-PowerMac-G5-2GHz-Quad-/231952010212?hash=item36016acbe4:g:O2YAAOSwU1FXQJ2m

Or you can get a 3rd party replacement here for $15

ebay.com/itm/Apple-PowerMac-G5-Rectangle-6FT-AC-Power-Cord-Cable-for-Dual-and-Quad-New-/320671696533?hash=item4aa985c695:m:mRpBPsGyVwFRHBeom5AaDHQ

Or you can get a generic power cable for $8 that will probably have zero differences from the two I just linked.

ebay.com/itm/Power-Cord-IEC320-C19-to-5-15P-/182137026002?hash=item2a683675d2:g:gcoAAOSwMr1XPLAJ

the guy you're arguing with isn't even OP.

>$25
>for a $1 cable

I would go with this one:

ebay.com/itm/US-AU-AC-Power-Cord-Heavy-Duty-for-Apple-Power-Mac-G5-Mac-Pro-922-5950-Cable-/121831552001?var=&hash=item1c5db9f401:m:m6F-hRzwwoEPDelJJOMN6XQ

This is probably a guy in China that gets PC's on pallets from the US for scrap and resells what he can. It's likely 100% legit.

Post a link to your $1 cable, faggot.

but Sup Forums-san it's your precious IBM's fault for designing a shit chip that draws too much current for a typical PC cable to handle

Ok I admit I was wrong.

It's only $0.99.

too bad I live in Canada and it costs more to ship than the actual product

ebay.ca/itm/NEW-5-15P-Male-to-C19-Female-Power-Cord-for-Server-workstation-Power-Mac-/400633798478?hash=item5d47a29f4e:g:LFQAAOSwd0BVwrYq

but /r/eddot-kun it's your precious applel's fault for designing a system around a shit chip that draws too much current for a typical PC cable to handle