What are some essential F-Droid apps?

Also, what's the most efficient way to block adds on Android. Adblock plus, adaway, something else?

Unrelated question: if you wanted to try out cyanogenmod, when using root, do you need to install SuperSU? I heard there's some built in function that does the same thing.

adaway

>adaway
Why this over adblock?

For adblocking, i use xposed framework with minminguard and adaway as it's built in to my current rom.

For the root on a CM rom, you have to go to developers settings & enable it. You can replace it with supersu, as some apps (i can't remember any right of the bat) may complain about it not being supersu.

>adaway
Only use adblock plus if you like seeing ads.
I also recommnd Amaze, FBReader, and SimpleReboot.

I think there's another alternative to SuperSU, but it does the same thing so why bother. Just install it and allow when it asks you for permission from apps you recognize.

Forgot the apps ...

Clover - Sup Forums browser
Firefox
FTP server free
IRSSI Connectbot - SSH client
k9-mail - Email client
Silence - Encrypted messaging & encrypted local SMS
Transdroid - Manage my rtorrent server

oandbackup

we had a major thread a while ago, definitely somewhere in may, look it up, most lists were screenshots

syncthing
clip stack
opencamera

There is a built in option but it needs to be activated trough settings first
After activation you need to go to settings > privacy > advanced > root

Flashing superSU wont hurt and gives you a app instead of a poorly hidden settings menu

Take some apps
Amaze (files)
Firefox
K9-Mail
Primitive ftpd (FTP Server)
Clover (Sup Forums)

Addendum:

Amaze if you didn't get memed into using Solid Explorer.

Apollo if you didn't get memed into using Poweramp or Black Player.

>
>Addendum:
>Amaze if you didn't get memed into using Solid Explorer.
>Apollo if you didn't get memed into using Poweramp or Black Player.
What's so good about amaze compared to solid explorer

When using adaway, do you have to go into dev settings and enable root for it? What's the best method of doing so? I have root disabled, but I am able to enable it

your freedoms

>KiwiX (my favorite app by far)
>OSMand
>VanillaMusic
>Overchan
>Lightning
>Plumble
>RedReader
>Twindere
>VLC

The KISS launcher is quite nice.

LeafPic (basically a QuickPic clone) is pretty good.

vanilla player

Can you use NewPipe in the background and if so, how?

>Apollo
>No folder view
Dropped

There is a little headphone symbol in the top right. This will cause the audio to play in the background. In the notification shade you will have pause/stop button s for the video.

It asks you to download the audio or video. So it's not actually playing in the background, is it.

It's still lacking though

It has a little headphone icon and a download icon. The download icon allows you to save the video or audio. The headphone icon has the audio play in the background.