Sup Forums

Sup Forums
What's the most future-proof coding language?
If one where to learn a language, what is it?

(Pic not really related, random stock image)

Other urls found in this thread:

githut.info/
bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/chist.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Php

hindi

Well, kinda...
Javascript is more future proof for the time being.

Also C++, but there are less jobs for it.

>future proof for the time being.

Fortran

assembly

python

Cobol, C, Java.

HolyC

Op here,

An explanation would be nice :)

python, SQL, maybe C#

All the other major languages are decliningat the moment.

>SQL
mysides.jpg

god no. dear lord get help

Java.

you can shit on Java all you want, but it's going to be here for a long time still.

C. It's been around forever and it probably always will. Get really good with C and any of the big names will hire you.
Startups probably won't, though. Usually they're looking for webdevs.

C

As pretty much everything is moving to SPA, JavaScript. One language for Frontend (take any framework like AngularJS), Backend (Node), Data (MongoDB).

Just build a portfolio. Doesn't matter the language.

What do you mean? Tons of ISAs have gone obsolete, and x86 isn't going to last forever.

C

Introduced in 1978, it's lack of feature bloat and scope creep has prevented it from becoming irrelevant for nearly 40 years.
It's utter simplicity and anemic standard library are it's call to fame, everything is an abstraction built upon pointers.

>not using a compiled language for backend

kys you hipster fuck

>1978
>thinking of C++

you really are autistic huh?
C was introduced in 71, before that it was an interpreted language called B and was introduced in 1969.

one shouldn't speak unless he is 100% sure, that way you never sound retarded like right here.

C

Machine code

Visual Basic

>one shouldn't speak unless he is 100% sure, that way you never sound retarded like right here.

Sorry, I'm not 100% autistic like you.

>tfw C will outlive them all

this guy doesn't understand processors and how they change every year and everyone is different.

why because I don't have to try and look cool on the internet by spitting out bs facts? Sorry man, I know you're a summerfag and all but try and learn a few things this year, and don't speak like you do know shit. Instead, ask and you may get smarter with each passing day.

Probably not tho
>>/reddit/

English, it's already the most widely used language in the world and that number keeps growing. If you go to any country that has a second language requirement in their education, it's almost always English. It is possible to code in many languages like japanese, mandarin, or any latin-based language. If you were to ask me what language would be used in 100 years, English all the way. Even the French admit that their language lacks an ability to express certain concepts in their own language and you can see the average French person use more English in their everyday lives than you would even 10 years ago. Hope this helps

Haskell

>if i act mean, i'll fit in r-right???

kill yourself

in third-world countries maybe

>english
>not mandarin, with more than 900 million speakers

More than 900 million people speak English -- maybe not natively, but they do speak English at least a secondary language.

english lets you communicate with a wider variety of people
nobody speaks ching ping ping pong outside of china

Neckbeards neckbeareds everywhere

i don't think that was mean, I think it was true

>inb4 samefag

C. From C you can pretty much pick up any other language that'll ever be useful.

GoLang

C is the worst coding language out there by far the best one is httml5

this
/thread

Haskell

This. If you're good enough, employers would be willing to train you in whatever language/platforms they use.

not wrong

c++

>coding

Wew lad. Literally cringe, the post.

Sent ;)

are 900 million untermensch who can't poo in loo really worthy people to talk to
and their number will decimate when europe will turn nazi again

You should probably consider not just relying on one language to get you a job. i.e learn C/C++ for effeciency, python/perl for scripting & prototyping, etc..

Use a language for it's strong points and build yourself a toolbox

C and Java / C# / C++.
Python too.
JavaScript / jQuery if you like web design.

Algorithms and design paradigms are more important than learning a new language. Go is supposedly made to handle parallelism very well, but if you don't know how to optimize your programs to run on concurrent operations it's not going to help you. On the other hand if you don't know Go but know who to deal with parallelism, you'll pick up Go in no time.

>What's the most future-proof coding language?
the one(s) that have been around the longest.
Personally I would find interesting something that actually replaced C.

human language syntax
soon machines will program for us
really soon

shut the fuck up

haskell

>C
>Java
>C++
>PHP
>Emacs Lisp

in that order

Elixir

Ruby :^)

>future-proof
>coding

lol enjoy your unemployement benefits

javascript

not even fucking kidding

C/C++/C# for desktop programs, PHP and javascript for web

all other languages are simply not relevant

Clearly java, like cobol it's never going to die.

Check out GitHut % trends, everything else is obsolete:
githut.info/

JavaScript, Java, Python, C and CPP are save bets.

>If one where to learn a language, what is it?
Learn the basics first, then pick a language. It's easy.

There's always one. Well played, sir.

what does this even mean? just learn the basics of programming and every language will make sense to you, more or less.

nigger brain cannot understand what the random number is

/Thread

Why learn just one language when you can learn to program and be able to pick up any language relatively easily. Learn a few different paradigms and languages associated with each paradigm. Then learn something else and see where that fits in. Congratulations, at this point you can now be useful instead of shitposting language wars.
If you held a gun to my head and demanded a single language to carry forward into the future I'd choose something abstract enough that it can hopefully adapt to work with whatever comes after Von Neumann architecture. Probably Scheme because of how simple and easily extensible it is.

>Why learn just one language
because Sup Forums is full of fucking retarded incompetent faggots.

This thread could be very interesting with a slight rewording of OP's post to emphasize the future proof part instead of making it sound like language wars. Von Neumann is not going to last forever. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next. Will someone figure out how to implement dataflow efficiently? will the current immutability trend have some influence on our architecture? I can't see languages like C surviving a shift away from register machines.

>one shouldn't speak unless he is 100% sure
You should read On Certainty by Wittgenstein because you really don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

html

why? Javascript is literally the most future proof.

Agreed. There are no disadvantage to learning assembly.

java

I had master of one language at CS. Every project was pain in the ass, one was master of C#, second one was master of JAVA

fucking retards

script

Clojure

>Sup Forums

Not that guy but:
> implying relational databases are going anywhere
> implying they're not at the center of like 90% of enterprises dealing with any kind of data at all

Come to think of it, database administration is a much more stable career path than development (although, obviously, there's way, waaay more to being a good DBA than SQL/RDBMS knowledge). The only downside is: the consequences of your fuckup are much more serious than the consequences of a dev introducing yet another bug and if you're really good at your job you're pretty much invisible to the management so no pat in the back for you.

>more stable career

Company move to cloud-based, managed databases. Amazon offers both SQL and NoSQL hostings.

muh stability

Underrated post

ching chang is le language of le present

We're talking about serious enteprises, not some fucking website startups. You think your bank's data are stored on Amazon's cloud NoSQL, you fucking retard?

Javascript is pretty much already deprecated. When web assembly releases all web front end will be in C++, Java or C#.

no. my cash sack is packed in bank rack

not clouds over amazone

COBOL.
Seriously.
Yes, it's being replaced in some applications but the number of lines of COBOL being executed is increasing exponentially. New mainfames are coming on line every day.
I know it's Gospel that mainframes are the Past but no bank, insurance company, oil company or manufacturer of any size it going to trust some toy PC running UNIX, much less Windows for its financials.
Supermarket chains run spradsheets that have millions of lines. Try that in eXcel.

NIGGGER

if you can handle c++ you are able to learn every other meme language in some months

>2016
>Not learning Swift

This is like learning Latin and hoping to use it for everything in the real world

Speedcoding, but dont tell to anyone

>one shouldn't speak unless he is 100% sure, that way you never sound retarded like right here.

Well, why did you say this then:
>C was introduced in 71

C was never formally or simply 'introduced' but slowly transitioned from B to C. The following extracts are from: bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/chist.html
>In 1971 I began to extend the B language [...] Thus the transition from B to C was contemporaneous [...]
>I called the slightly-extended language NB, for `new B.'
>Many other changes occurred around 1972-3, but the most important was the introduction of the preprocessor, [...]
>By early 1973, the essentials of modern C were complete.

Indeed, the closest thing to a formal introduction would certainly be actual publication:
> In 1978 Brian Kernighan and I published The C Programming Language [Kernighan 78].

And as stated in the second edition of this very book:
>For many years, the definition of C was the reference manual in the first edition of The C Programming Language [...]

Not to mention you thought he was thinking of C++, which he clearly wasn't, as the preliminary work on C++ wouldn't start until the next year.

That's like saying:
"If you know each of the 2486 indian dialects you can learn every other language of the world easily."

I'm not gonna fall for the C++ meme.

programming is a process.
You can't just write something and never go back to that piece of code ever again.

At some point there will be a more efficient or better way to do things.
C++ in 2006 is almost nothing like C++ written today.
Rust wasn't even written at all in 2006.

Things change, if you want to do development, you should be able to keep track of different technologies as they grow.

Of all of them, C might be the best, but that is mainly because I cannot recall what recently changed with that language.

Hahaha, there are people actually believing this on .Sup Forums.

Damn, so much tech illiteracy. Wasm has nothing to do with replacing the current front-end tools. It's more about making it possible for compute-intensive applications like games to run in the browser by leveraging the performance of native code.

Probably nobody will be that crazy to write the frontend of a website in C++, that would be total overkill for no actual gain.

This.

No you retard Rust is the best programming language

Oh all you fucking neckbeard arch users c is the shittiest coding language and you should never learn it or any form of it. The only good coding languages are java and httml dont learn anything else