I think my landlady is sneaking into my apartment when I'm not around

I think my landlady is sneaking into my apartment when I'm not around.

Can anyone recommend good free surveillance software so I can leave my laptop running while I'm at work? Needs to store shit locally since I don't have internet at my apartment.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uzJKqDUsUqc
zoneminder.com/
reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/34l7vo/ma_postit_notes_left_in_apartment/cqvrdz6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Top kek. Show her you being nude next time

Also Windows 10 is a good free home surveillance software

surveillance software? you mean like something to record with your webcam? use ffmpeg or obs

I have OBS. I'm looking for something that cant handle multiple hours of recording and possibly do motion detection so I know when to look.

If you want to catch someone entering your apartment, you don't need video. You need audio and something which makes noise. Shitty battery powered "burglar alarms" are sold at the dollar store. You can record the audio at the lowest imaginable bitrate and use almost no space because all you need to capture is the sudden alarm noise.

It's not like burglars are regularly returning and taking nothing. Obviously someone coming in during the day and setting off the alarm means your landlady is trespassing.

i would just record with obs and open the resulting video file in a video editor or something that shows the sound volume of the recording and look for spikes

or this

I want proof it's specifically her in case I need to take legal action, or as a bargaining chip.

Uhmmmm
Put a small piece of paper on the door so it will fall when someone opens it and you'll know. It's easier that way lol

she's underage.

What legal action? Asking for a release from your lease because your landlady is violating it? Here, let me save you some court costs:

"I know you came into my apartment today. Remember that alarm? I'm moving out Sunday and you're going to have my full security deposit to me that morning. Otherwise I'm taking my recording of you to court and pressing charges for criminal trespass too."

I don't know of any off the top of my head but I remember playing around with the aforge.net library a couples years back and it made video recording and motion detection very easy. If you can program it would be trivial to make your own "start recording upon motion detection" program with it, or any motion detection library.

your landlady is underage?

it's their property. they can do what they want.

When he says "landlady" he's talking about his little sister sneaking into his bedroom. OP's a kid living with his parents. He wants to use the video as blackmail.

Just hit record on Audacity and let it run the whole day, it even has a record floor, so set it to 24 dB and any noise made in the apartment will be recorded.

may be easier but it doesn't count as proof if he wants to call the cops on her or sue her

If that's true according to your local laws, then there is no legal action you could take anyway. It makes the need for evidence regarding legal action totally moot.

If you live in a civilized country with reasonable laws, you're 100% wrong. Tell me where you live so I can link you to your local laws describing how much notice a landlord must give to enter property occupied by a tenant.

Yeah but if she calls his bluff he's fucked because she's not getting in again and he won't have any recording.

Do what I said with the piece of paper or you can hand a short string on top of the door so that it will fall when you open it and will be seen hanging from the outside. That will tell you with certainty if she's sneaking in and you can spend more time setting up the recorder.

Yeah but it will remove all uncertainty. Right now he has doubts and that will clear them. If you know someone's sneaking in for certain you won't mind spending some money on a mean to record it. If you have doubts and it turns out she wasn't sneaking you'll feel like a fool for wasting money and time

>because she's not getting in again
And his problem is solved.

OP here.

My lease specifically says the landlady cannot enter my apartment without prior notice.

She also keeps making up excuses to come in and look around. Stuff like repairmen leaving their tools behind (I never found a flashlight when I looked)

yeah but aren't their several free webcam programs that are motion activated or some shit

The excuses are fine. In fact they're even unnecessary and irrelevant. She can come by with reasonable frequency to check in on the place, and you'd have to challenge that yourself in court (at your own expense) if you find the frequency unreasonable.

However the first part is also not a shocker at all. Your lease says so because your local laws say so.

no, a bucket of paint, so she'll get covered in paint and it'll be hilarious.

Yeah he could even get an alert on his phone and make the software start streaming when it detects movement. If he doesn't mind the effort of setting the whole thing up. That's why I'm telling him to look for a smoking gun sign first so he won't waste any time or money on a webcam

this is why I don't rent anymore. all landlords are just terrible.

I like that idea a lot. You know what to OP

my sides

Grab a trail cam from Walmart or a spring good store

To reiterate, I need something that works offline.

Do a Google search you lazy fuck
Also bucket of paint works offline and you can sue her

pull one strand of hair from your head.
use spit to stick it to the edge of a closed door when you leave the apartment

if it's not there when you come back it means someone entered your lair

i recommend sticky floor traps op, l;ike for mice, that way when you get back you can really see who done it

youtube.com/watch?v=uzJKqDUsUqc

if your entryway isn't carpeted you can sprinkle flour on the floor and see if anybody walks through it

got a old iphone? DL Manythings for free

zoneminder.com/

This looks neat.

Are any of the install options compatible with windows 8.1?

and you get to humiliate her too.

would it be legal to set up an axe like that episode of x-files?

youcam is free and has motion detection. just make sure you have a high resolution webcam and turn off the light.

That's not a bad idea, actually.

I'm going to try iSpy

Is sourceforge still a safe download site? I heard CNET got corrupted.

Literally all this advice and you choose to ignore it. Do something simple first to confirm it then go full on. Don't get all worked up. You're paranoid, take your meds.

All the advice was either pure audio, physical traps, not robust enough, or Zoneminder which doesn't work on my OS (or YouCam which is paid shovelware). Not a lot of good choices.

>My lease specifically says the landlady cannot enter my apartment without prior notice.
Most places have laws in place so leases have to reflect that. I cannot enter any unit without 24 hours notice unless I have had repair work requested by the tenant, and even then they can refuse at time of entry if they choose.

>She also keeps making up excuses to come in and look around. Stuff like repairmen leaving their tools behind (I never found a flashlight when I looked)
So tell her no, as is your right guaranteed by your local Tenancy Act or equivalent. The same thing that protects her from you bailing on back rent and bills prevents her from doing shady shit like this.

doesn't work on my OS
run it in a VM you useless fuck

No. In most places traps are specifically outlined as illegal even if you have clearly posted signs warning of them. Can't even do coarsely crushed glass lining a trench topping a wide wall, which was specifically listed in the law here.

In the United States, or at least in my state, they have to give you 24 hours notice before they can enter, unless it's an emergency.

I was born being nude.

watch out op if she has chaff grenades your fucked

i dunno why OP but that post was hilarious to me because of the kojima pic, i just imagine kojima having a problem with his landlady and it made me LOL thanks OP i needed that cheering up

>landlady
So you mean your mom is snooping in your room?

Check if you're not suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning and doing stuff you're forgetting.

reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/34l7vo/ma_postit_notes_left_in_apartment/cqvrdz6