Files systems

What file system are you using Sup Forums?

I have been using ext4 for years but have recently decided to try out btrfs, So far im not noticing much difference except copying large files seems to take a little longer.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Kirk_McKusick
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YjVev0dKOWU
github.com/philipl/pifs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

NTFS

*pfffs*

I think linux actually supports NTFS, I'm not sure you can use it as a root partition though.

If you're talking desktop, ext4 or kill yourself. There's no reason to use anything else.

HAMMER

>dont know about btrfs snapshots and subvolumes

ext4 in my Debian Jessie 8.4, NTFS in my Windows 10 and what Android Jelly uses in my tablet and cellphone here.

btrfs is a meme
don't use

>implying
They're both gash features m8

>using journaling instead of soft updates

If you use anything but ZFS for storage, you should have stayed in school.

ZFS is meme tier BSD garbage.

Wow before the Internet what did you do to embarrass yourself?

ZFS is not from BSD, it's from Solaris, you tech illiterate!

The fuck is wrong with journaling you flappy cunt.

Seconded upvoted +1'd Liked This

Solaris tier, BSD tier, what is the difference? Both are memes.
Yeah.

>I've never taken a single class on Operating Systems: The Post
Read McCusick, you minnow.

Whatever you say, kid.

Correct, Nigger McNigget, for I know the warmth of a woman. (Read: I'm self-taught and have gaps in my knowledge, but I'm insecure about it.)

>minnow
y-you too

Follow-up:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Kirk_McKusick

??
I recognise his face. Anyway, is The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System any good? I'm almost tempted to torrent it.

RedSea

Its slow and ads more overhead.

B-but th-that's illegal, user! You wouldn't d-download a car, would you?

Fucking would if I could, imagine that shit.

FFS

Hammer is best

Running BTRFS for /home for a while now. Started using it when openSUSE had the option in the installer. No problem, no noticeable difference for me.

CoW is superior to journaling. Btrfs is the true masterrace.

Im using it on arch for my root partition and its working great.

I havent even played around with any of the compression features yet. They might come in handy for people that like to torrent like myself.

Theoretically you could, as NTFS-3G allows you to map Unix UIDs/GIDs to NT SIDs and allows symlinks, also special files like character and block devices usually live on a devtmpfs anyway. Still isn't a POSIX compatible filesystem, so you would need to mount *another* FUSE filesystem over it (posixovl) if you need that.
A sparse file on a NTFS volume containing a Linux filesystem mounted as a loop device usually works better.

That sounds like a ginormous pain in the rectal cavity.

>Not using murderFS
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YjVev0dKOWU

pifs best fs

github.com/philipl/pifs

FAT 16
I got fed up with errors and stuff so I now partly use a very old legacy format that everything can handle, at the high cost of more modern features.

Still use Fat 32 and ext4 for more normal things, with more Fat 32 just for compatibility sake. I use to used all of them on different drive. Also for anyone interested IBM DOS, Mac 6, Window XP, Ubuntu 11 and Debian 3 just don't get along well.

ext2 for /boot. xfs for /home. ext4 for the rest. Bonus: all but /boot is in an lvm. Lvm is sweeeeeeet. Xfs is supposed to be faster for things like recording audio.

>using anything but AxFS

im using ext4 for boot and btrfs for root.

i also created a 1Gb swap before i read that btrfs doesn't support swap so now i guess i will just keep the swap part unmounted until btrfs supports it.

>having a separate /home
shit you don't need a separate /boot either unless you're doing full-disk encryption
the above also removes the need to use LVM

ReiserFS is a killer file system

literally.

but i have heard it's pretty good for /var or anywhere else you have lots of small files.

it's probably not better than ext4 though i think i have seen a few benchmarks were ext4 outperfoms it.