I want to install a Linux distro but I dont know which one. Whats a good beginner linux distro?

I want to install a Linux distro but I dont know which one. Whats a good beginner linux distro?

Mint is fairly user friendly.

It also looks very much like Windows.

OS X

AUUGH INSTALL GANTOO

xD

Install Ubuntu + Gnome. That's what I did.
Mint is a good choice as well. I started off with knoppix and thought it was great.

stay user

Debian or kys faget

Linux Mint is great, it's very finished. You can start using your PC right from the install which only takes like 15 minutes.

Ubuntu is also meant for everybody but they try to be very modern and some people might want the old fashion version. It uses the Unity desktop environment which kinda looks like OS X in some ways.

Linux Mint has Cinnamon desktop environment which is nice, but if your computer is old and slow you might want something lighter. You can change the desktop environment in any distro but it's probably easier to just pick a different distro when starting. There are different sub distros of Ubuntu with the name altered to reveal which desktop environment it bundles with. You might want Xubuntu if you need lighter.

>ctrl+f
>"arch"
>0 results

Sup Forums is dead

huh. wasn't fond of knoppix.

Install Gentoo

Debian, Arch and Ubuntu (and all of its flavours).

>>>/flt/

This, xubuntu here on all 3 family computers

First time out of the desktop thread?

which is the most stable? little or no bugs on laptops

Piper Chapman..is that you?

Arch, Gentoo or Linux from scratch
Don't fall for the LOObuntu shills and go with what is actually good

Who are you?

Ubuntu

Fedora.

Mint or Ubuntu are stable. I've had mint for about 8 months now and not a single problem. Only thing is that my current wireless manager does not like my universities pre-login network so I need to download a different one to set that up.

I would highly praise mint, it's also the top on distrowatch I think.

Get a bootable USB flash drive (not hard just a flash drive and then you have some software do it all for you) and then run mint off of that without installing it. Just do a dry run.

Gentoo

Gentoo because you can use openrc instead of systemd cancer

Gentoo.

I think xubuntu is the best for begginers.

or crux.

Ubuntu. I assume you want to try out different desktop environments to find one you prefer, with Ubuntu you just install, log out, and change between the different DE's you got installed. Easy.

This.

Exherbo

is this bailey

Who is this semen demon?

no

Is this shit even any good?

Ubuntu is ok, but it does a lot of stuff for you and you won't learn as much through googling issues and solving them
I'd say Debian stable, it has an installer, it has a huge amount of users and support online, and it forces you to deal with some of the "quirks" of using Linux

It has everything freetards love

Just realised I'm on vacation and my arch install will be totally deprecated when I get home in only 10 days.

The memes r real boyos.

Don't fall for that meme, I upgraded after about 2 years of nonuse and it was fine

A good beginner distro can mean several things.
For something easy to use, usually means the right DE.
Mate and KDE is what I usually recommend to new users.
This is the most important decision to new users as it changes how things are done.

For distro, I think the most friendly is ubuntu.
It has a lot of software, and the install process is very simple as it provides setup as well as installation for a lot of things.
Ubuntu 16.04 has a lot of problems with the network manager though, and I wouldn't recommend anyone new to use kde4 as updating is a pain.

I think Debian is a lot better to use for a new user as new users are usually more willing to learn, and Debian has a lot better documentation if you want to learn how to set things up as you like them.
It might be something you should consider switching to after a month or two with whatever you choose first.

I would recommend starting with ubuntu mate.
Pay attention to the installation process.
It is fairly straight forward, but you should know how the system is setup.

if you can read, go directly to arch, read the wiki.

don't eat shit and install a bsd derivative

imo just use an arch based distro

most things u run into will be on the wiki if u have any problems or questions

This is dangerously stupid advice. Only a fucking moron would point a shiny new Linux user to Arch.

Ubuntu of course

SLACKWARE

manjaro kde

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

isn't my fault that this new generation of users is full of dumb people, the first distribution I used was slackware throught floppy and a bunch of magazines as reference a was 15yo in that time.

slackware is dead, deal with it.

before computers were harder and literally everyone was new to them and nobody had problems with them

yes even kids used command line and didn't complain, but this new people thinks they are special for using cmd.

Is that you Stallman?

I tried trisquel but it's a little iffy, what are you running? teach me I'm here to learn

what can be done about hardware backdoors?

use LFS.

Fedora.

youre watching the stream, you prob can

thank you and blessings, it seems exactly what I was asking for, I'm writing a free book I will eventually reach out to you for help with distribution,

also a good friend of mine has a very famous father, he would like to ask your advice about some ideas he has regarding distribution of all content using the public library,

reason being in this day and age the library is the most free platform for distribution available since you need a court order to gain access to someone's library records, why not monetize the library, allow libraries to handle the money for creators and ditch the publishers, this will make it extremely difficult for anyone to prevent freedom regarding access to somebody's reading list.

thank you for your help

Linux Mint with MATE is supposed to be lighter than Cinnamon