So my 77 year old grandma wants to get a laptop. She's doesn't know much and will be using it just for email...

So my 77 year old grandma wants to get a laptop. She's doesn't know much and will be using it just for email, the Internet, maps, etc., just average grandma shit.

She wants a laptop with at least a 15" display . Do you guys have any good suggestions for something durable yet not too expensive? Her budget is around $600.

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/acer-15-6-chromebook-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-16gb-solid-state-drive-linen-white/4262900.p?id=1219730564516&skuId=4262900
amazon.com/gp/product/B01B9APNG0?tag=laptop-magazine-20
ebay.com/itm/Grade-A-Wty-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T520-Core-i7-QUAD-8GB-500GB-nVidia-1600x900-/231966009215?hash=item360240677f:g:Cv8AAOSwFNZWy5p1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

386 with mutt and lynx

refurbished high end hp/compaq

acer 15" chromebook

bestbuy.com/site/acer-15-6-chromebook-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-16gb-solid-state-drive-linen-white/4262900.p?id=1219730564516&skuId=4262900

just werks, cheap, she can't fuck it up, you'll never have to be her tech support

Get her a macbook, it's made especially for this kind of stuff

Are we all just gonna ignore OP pic?

MacBook Air

My grandma has an irrational hatred of all google products so a chrome book is out of the picture I think.

Old people's fears are rarely irrational

77 years old and still somehow able to use a computer? Holy shit mang, that's amazing. Both of my grandparents from mom and dad's side are dead. All died before 70. Only one was a smoker and none were obese.

>My grandma has an irrational hatred of all google products so a chrome book is out of the picture I think.

>pic related

it's my grandma

She also prefers Windows

looks normal to me

Yeah she also smokes heavily and I've been trying to get her to quit :(

I'm not even a racist, but that picture made me have a daydream of a world where white people would hunt little nigglets like that in the forest just for fun. Something like the Hunger Games, but we are the ones killing them.

hitchok gotta get his sponsors somehow

literally anything will work
A $200 T520 will work perfectly fine

Racism on Sup Forums doesn't bother me.

>So my 77 year old grandma wants to get a laptop
>Do you guys have any good suggestions

Yes, buy a laptop that you will enjoy because it's going to get back in your hands pretty soon.

I'd expect anything by this redneck son of a bitch.

amazon.com/gp/product/B01B9APNG0?tag=laptop-magazine-20

Don't. Just fucking don't.

She is 77 years old and will be dead/in a retirement home soon. She will fuck it up in more ways than what you could imagine. She'll probably get a nasty infection of viruses from coupon ads (seriously, WTF is it with old fucks and coupons?)

And after reading , yeah... She doesn't need 1.

>chrome book

get the Windows 10 cloud books for the same price with an actual OS

i have an Acer, its perfectly fine for what she needs

it was an absolute fucking jail sentance when i needed it to replace my rig during PSU issues a week ago

also you can download a normal windows 10 pro ISO and reinstall it on the Acer and it'll be activated already and get rid of all the bullshit

only issue is trying to re-install the touchpad drivers (still never got it to work) but i use a normal mouse so no issue

She gets along fine with her desktop but just wants something that she can use on the couch and take around the house.

She sounds like a freedomfag, in which case this is the best choice:

ebay.com/itm/Grade-A-Wty-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T520-Core-i7-QUAD-8GB-500GB-nVidia-1600x900-/231966009215?hash=item360240677f:g:Cv8AAOSwFNZWy5p1

what search engine does she use?

maybe an Inspiron 15 5000 2-in-1

>what is a fucking smart phone

is your mom literally fucking autistic?

you can check emails right on that

>core-i7 in the url string

not even opening, literally fucking nope

$299 for a core i7 tank of a laptop that will last her the next 20 years and probably maintain 99% of its value after that time

OR

$599 for some ASUS/ACER shittop with an i3-u series that will fall apart in 18 months and be obsoleted in 3 years and will depreciate in value 75% the first time you turn it on

Still wouldn't recommend it for the same reasons. If she has a desktop, cool. That's enough. Maybe it's because I deal with a large amount of old-fucks on a regular day to day basis, but I honestly believe anyone over the age of 65 who doesn't know dick about basic computer shit 101 shouldn't own 1.

However, if you are still dead set on getting a laptop, make it the Acer or a basic Dell. It's simple, cheap, and won't be that hard for her to fuck up. I would also recommend having her put Super Anti Spyware and Malwarebytes on and showing her how to use them. Best free anti-virus out there TBHFAMALAMADINGDON

For my grandma learning to use a smart phone has been like fuckin rocket science so far. She already knows how to use Windows pretty well relative for a grandma.

this is moronic

she's the exact person that chromebooks were made for

does she think M$ is going to spy on her any less?

or 129 for a cloud book that can actually run on battery for 8 hours and not need a bunch of fans causing dust issues and literally melt your thighs

theres a literal Gmail app on android, you literally just tap it, it loads your email and shows whats new

and what the fuck is your out of touch 77yo grandma doing that she has a desktop but needs immediate access to her emails at all areas of the house?

>muh fanless design

when will this meme end?

fans are fucking magical for computers, they are nearly silent, take barely any energy to run and let's the CPU actually do it's job without throttling itself

you can install spybot anti beacon on it

also chromebooks are useless unless you actually sign in with a google account the guest access keeps no history and doesnt let you add any addons to the browser or anything else

She uses chrome but also is fine with internet explorer

she's also afraid of google so she's obviously kgb

...or it's the schizo setting in

then just create a fake google account or some shit, this isn't rocket science

the peace of mind not having to deal with malware and shit OOTB is so much better than having to maintain granny's w10 install

>She uses chrome
>hates google

is this b8? get her a fucking chromebook, seriously

fans means areas where dust is being pulled in

passive closed cases have no dust

>the dust meme

so blow it out with some compressed air every 2 years

you still have a fucking broswer OS with no tangible usability

with windows 10 you can fucking do and save and alter what ever....then open Chrome or any other browser and do what you want

all without using a fucking account.

I can't believe people here take this guy seriously.

this is for granny to browse the webz, she's not doing CAD and video editing

>all without using a fucking account

>implying a fake google account and 'anonymous' M$ telemetry aren't the same thing

My family averages mid-90s unless cancer

This is clearly a chromebook-sux b8 thread

have you actually created a new google account lately?

you need to give them verified cell phone which will always be on record

and probably a bunch other shit

infact im so fucking old school they have to keep pestering me every few months to "keep my accounts safe, why not add your cell phone so we can get in touch with u :3" during the login process

now its mandatory

i know this cause i created a burner email just associated to my android phone, which obviously had a phone number already, but i still needed to use another email to "verify it"

who fucking cares, no one is going to call this old hag, no one gives a shit about her

sure, if you're some angsty teen on Sup Forums it matters to you, but it's not going to matter to this granny

>high end compaq
Hahahah has to be bait

Get a chinkpad OP.

Hey my grandma will fuck you in the ass with her old hag cock you fag

Thinkpad T420 + Libreboot + Arch Linux + Fluxbox + Anime Wallpaper + Riced as FUCK firefox + Love Live complete series + MPV

Glad i could be of help.

Chromebook since its basically just a dummy terminal with a web browser it would be impossible to break it. Anf since its not a real OS it wouldnt get viruses and shit.

a 10" tablet.
or if her hands are weak a 8" tablet.

Get her a Chromebook. If she literally somehow fucks that thing up then she can't be trusted with any computer at all.

Thinkpad t61 running Trisquel, or Ubuntu if you don't like her.

Chromebook, whatever the biggest one they sell

when she dies just throw a linux distro on it with crouton

This, Chromebook is impossible to fuck up and the update from google is rolling out I think this month that lets you use Android apps.