Has AMD fucked over Nvidia's ongoing attempts to push card prices ever-higher...

Has AMD fucked over Nvidia's ongoing attempts to push card prices ever-higher? The $200 RX 480 seems to be getting at least as much attention as the $600 GTX 1080 (six hundred fucking dollars).

If nothing else, it's looking like Nvidia is going to have to respond with a 1060 that isn't complete garbage, which will probably cannibalise some of their sales.

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/223043/amd-radeon-rx-480-clock-speeds-revealed-clocked-above-1-2-ghz
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

so, amd is releasing end of this month? when will they ship the cards and aftermarket cards?

nvidia can't compete with the rx 480, they rely too much on their stupid high margins and investing most of their money in marketing

we don't know, so it might be at launch like many AMD cards do.

They did say "available" June 29 during the presentation. That can't be taken to mean anything else. They're up for sale the same day the NDA on reviews is up.

The 1070 will be lowered to 299.99 and may eventually have a 6gb version which will be 249.99.

Also a game will come with either card (most likely Doom) and that will add some value in the buyer's eyes.

how much do they pay those people who make the graphs that start 0,5??

It's going to be interesting to see what Nvidia do if the 480 takes off. Nvidia seem to have put a ton of effort into aggressively pushing the 1080 as the next "standard", trying to repeat what they did with the 970 last gen, and my feeling is that it's simply too expensive regardless of performance.

their best possible move would be to cut the 1070 down to $299 and run some marketing campaign on the performance improvements over the 480 for only $100 more, even then that would be a stretch

So which is the best version of the 1080?

why doesn't nvidia just cut the price of the 1080 to $199?

the most expensive one goy. what kind of question is this??

Also, I think there's a good chance PC games will targeting the GTX970/RX480 as the 'standard' platform for the foreseeable future, which will mean diminishing returns on anything better specced, which is a potential headache for Nvidia.

Hopefully a week or two after the reference, I remember the 280x I had to wait for a Toxic a month, thanks to Bitcoin shitters

>why doesn't nvidia just cut the price of the 1080 to $199?
how would they milk you otherwise?
>release 10-20% faster card
>gimp older cards
>cash in $600 shekels
>gimp older cards
>cash in $600 shekels
>gimp older cards
>cash in $600 shekels

These new AMD cards will burn your house down. They are too cheap to be good.

at 150 (max, we don't know TDP yet) watts, I doubt it.

the 1080 runs at 80 degrees.. who would have guessed they put the running temperature in the name of the card.

>tfw the 1080 runs at 1080C

burning your house down is a CUDA feature, AMD weren't allowed the privilege of using the technology

That's very good. My cuckolded and slightly OC'd 970 ran at little below 80

480 is near Fury performance

470X is prolly the 970 equal

can 480 do vr?

Thats the whole point, its entry level VR capable for $200.

Have you not seen the fucking presantation?

390 > 970
Near Fury would sit it between 390X and Fury
The 970 equivalent would likely be the 470 or whatever their $99 card will be.

>introducing the 1080 that supports 4k
>normies ignore card thinking it only support 1080p

They need a better naming scheme, holy fuck.

Old Sup Forums poster? It's awesome to see someone like you, I used to browse Sup Forums a lot.

>running games at 40fps on 4k = supports 4k
lol

yes or no?

>its entry level VR capable

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

yes

There is only Polaris 10, and Polaris 11.

Polaris 11 competes against the GTX 950 and maybe up to the GTX 960, but at just 50w. This'll be their $100-$150 card.
Polaris 10 is the RX 480, their $200 card.
There is nothing between that.

Yes, shitposter. Thats right. The GTX 970/ R9 390 is considered the base line necessary for VR gaming. The RX 480 does that at $200.

>The 1070 will be lowered to 299.99 and may eventually have a 6gb version which will be 249.99.
Doubt it. The 970 was launched at $330 and the MSRP was never lowered below $300, even when the $300 390 was released with a better value. The 1070 will most likely stay at $350 until EOL.

>6 GB version
Are you retarded? It has a 256-bit bus. You either have 4 GB or 8 GB. You can only have 6 GB VRAM on cards with a 192-bit, 384-bit or 768-bit bus.
(unless they try to pull something like the GTX 550 Ti again, which had 2 GB on a 192-bit bus but was actually 1.5 GB full speed + 0.5 GB at one third of the speed, but with all the flak they got for that and then again for the 660 Ti and again for the 970, I doubt they'd try that again)
Or if they disable one of the 64-bit controllers to make it 192-bit, then they'll call it something else, like 1060 Ti, and will probably come with other compromises as well.

That'd be the 470X

Fury level is by no means entry level

there will likely be filler cards from the previous gen in the lineup

This

>It has a 256-bit bus. You either have 4 GB or 8 GB.

You can always have less memory...

>Polaris 11 competes against the GTX 950 and maybe up to the GTX 960, but at just 50w. This'll be their $100-$150 card.
Why would they release a card at $150 with performance you can already get for $150, you fucking retard?
Polaris 11 will more likely perform at or above R9 380/380X level. Also, there's no reason to limit the desktop version of this card to 50W, you can get up to 75W from the motherboard alone and I don't see why AMD wouldn't want to offer a version, possibly the X one, with a plug and extra TDP headroom, leaving the non-X as the best offering with no plug requirement.

980 ti > rx 480 > 980

Ive heard rumors from sources close to nvidia, that they are trying hard to make production of 1060 cheaper. It seems like nvidia was caught off guard.

>being butthurt over nothing like a bitch on the rag
Calm down, you 12 year old girl.

Tertiary features, value added propositions, those sell cards to consumers. AMD is edging out the competition at a fraction of the power. That was the entirety of the Polaris 11 demo. 1080p 60fps gaming in Battlefront while drawing just under 50w.

>That's very good. My cuckolded and slightly OC'd 970 ran at little below 80

No it isn't. My 5850 and 6950 ran at 60-70c in games. Anything above 70c is a joke.

>1280 shaders at 1400mhz
>Only competes with the 950
u wot m8

Even assuming no architecture improvements that bugger already exceeds the 380; my guess is it's going to be really close to VR min, and would hit min if you OC'd it.

>pulling things out of your ass

Polaris 11 was clocked at 850mhz. GCN has a short pipeline, the arch will not ever clock like Pascal.

>Or if they disable one of the 64-bit controllers to make it 192-bit, then they'll call it something else, like 1060 Ti, and will probably come with other compromises as well.

That is exactly what they will do, but it won't be called a Ti

Polaris 11 is a $50 card that replaces the R7 240 and R7 250.

>Missing the leaked bench back in early may that had one running at 1400mhz

>Missing the leaked bench that had a full Polaris 10 at 1350mhz

top hue

Regardless, those aren't the shader clocks, check recent AMD patents, it's gun b gud

There is no "leaked" bench. AMD showed the card running live. It was 850mhz with a 0.8375v vcore. That is what Polaris 11 was running at while performing on par with the GTX 950.

Polaris 10 is not clocked anywhere near 1350mhz. 36CU at 1350mhz is 6.22TFLOPS. AMD explicitly stated 5.2TFLOPS once, then revised it to ">5"
The GPU isn't clocked anywhere near that high. Its peak clock is going to be around 1150mhz.
GCN has a super short 8 stagepipeline. IPC is far too high for the arch to target high clocks. This is a fact.

You tech illiterate retards need to stop shitting up this board.

So is this the ati hd4800's all over again? Bought my sapphire 4850 and the shit collected dust,ran hot and loud and shitted bsod until I replaced it with a gtx650

>There is only Polaris 10, and Polaris 11.
those are the architectures, there will be various cards based on them you fucking idiot.

why do you think they even mentioned their $100-$300 price points in their presentation? you think vega is going to be $300?

>those are the architectures,

Those are literally the names of the two new dies, you tech illiterate retard. The architecture is 4th generation GCN.

techpowerup.com/223043/amd-radeon-rx-480-clock-speeds-revealed-clocked-above-1-2-ghz
Ok shill

>tech illiterate retard uses 'tech illiterate retard' as a means to hide his own tech illiteracy
that's adorable, but lucky for you this board is anonymous so your autistic rampage in this thread hasn't completely embarrassed you.

>talking shit about the HD4800
That's a funny way to say 260

polaris 10 is clocked at 1266mhz

i love amd but i absolutely hate the shitty fucking drivers that come with them. is there anything i can do bros?

Reminder that Nvidia is literally the John Cena of businesses.

Also
>Engineering Sample
>Anywhere near final clocks

what's so bad about them?

>I can't do simple math
This has been going around for days, its not final clocks for the silicon.

You flat out made an ass of yourself in the dumbest way possible.
When you can't wrap your hear around simple naming schemes its no wonder why all you can do is shitpost.

No, its not. If it were they would have stated 5.8TFLOPS instead of 5.2, then revising their slides to read ">5"

The equation for compute power is simple. Its ALUs x clock speed x ops per clock. Everyone knows this, apart from you and the rest of the tards in this thread, so if you know the number of ALUs along with the theoretical compute power you automatically know the clock speed.
They stated Polaris 10's final clocks live when they stated 5.2TFLOPS.

80c is not bad at all you stupid street shitter, especially with a reference cooler, it's the most powerful GPU ever made.

Yes, go away Nvidia shill with this bullshit. We know you're doing it and it's very tiresome.

>my uncited sources are more accurate than your uncited sources!
will you fuck off already you utter imbecile

>using reference 290x

>he missed the early demo sign that said 5.5

>not using a 'founder' edition version of every card

Wow ur so kool u use Sup Forums before when it was a sooper sekret club

NOPE.
Something posted on Videocardz stated "UP TO 5.5TFLOPS"

Guess what, retard? You still can't do math. 1250mhz would be over 5.7TFLOPS. That isn't "UP TO 5.5" Thats over 5.5.
5.5TFLOPS would be 1200mhz core clock.
Its not 1266mhz.
Its sure as hell not 1400mhz.

Its going to be 1150mhz, and maybe its peak turbo clock is 1200. Thats it. GCN has a super short 8 state pipeline. IPC is far too high for the arch to target high clocks.

How do you go through life being so laughably wrong about everything?

tfw no sean kingston auto-playing on Sup Forums anymore

I fucking hate you people

dude you just went full autism mode.

review cards are due in 6 days.

>calling it autism when you get demonstrably proven wrong with stupid simple math

Damage control.

>demonstrably proven wrong with stupid simple math
>based on rumored 'specs'
fuck off you utter retard.

>muh scientifically proven math's and insight finfet nolege about 14nm and 16nm production

>butthurt tech illiterate babby
They stated 5.2TFLOPS explicitly. Their presentation day figures shown live around the world was ">5"
Those are facts. You can't ignore what comes straight out of the horses mouth at their very own public unveiling. The arch doesn't have insanely high clocks like Pascal does.

1150mhz core clock, maybe 1200mhz peak turbo. Thats it. Feel free to keep shitposting since you don't have a leg to stand on anymore.

>1070 price cut
please god, make it be

>They stated 5.2TFLOPS explicitly
except they didn't.

>pushing prices higher

Just a reminder that the gtx280 launched at 650 dollars and the gtx580 launched at 600.

Prices havent changed.

Prices of all tech have plummeted except for Nvidia GPUs as manufacturing costs have come down across the board. They know what they are doing.

980 launched at 550

Still less than 700 dollars.

Remember when Nvidiots were adamant temps and power usage and drivers were big ass deals and would touch AMD cards because of it.
Now AMD cards are cool efficient and dont have botched drivers but now that doesn't matter suddenly

1080 is the second highest priced flagship Nvidia has launched, the highest being the $830 8800 Ultra

Willing to bet the 1080 won't be the flagship for very long either.

Also, the dollar is really strong these days.

>My ancient card ran at his temp
Fuck off

AMD's plans are promising but for now the two companies just released two completely different cards for two completely different needs. AMD might only compete with Nvidia once Vega comes out.

I don't want to pay $600
That's too much money.

Thanks AMD

970 wasn't very expensive, but euro prices of the 1070 are rumored to be outrageous. Like 500-600€

What are $1000+ Titans?

they completely took a poo on the used card market

It's over, Nvidia is finished and bankrupt.

For 600$(price of 1080) i can build a PC with a haswell i5 and rx480 which will play everything at 1080p high 60 fps and 1440p med 60 fps.