/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Browser_plugins#MozPlugger
gtkforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=6516
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs
archlinux.org/packages/?sort=flag_date
github.com/Roger/escrotum
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/taking_a_screenshot#Screenshot_of_the_active.2Ffocused_window
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hi OP running arch-xfce and this is my noob rice hope u g/yz like

>get first response

I'm running Xfce on Arch, I messed with desktop, the icons don't appears anymore, and if I right click on desktop it opens the same menu as the one on "Start" button. It's probably something with xfdesktop, when I run xfdesktop this appears

Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
** (xfdesktop:886): WARNING **: xfdesktop: unable to connect to settings daemon: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.. Defaults will be used
** (xfdesktop:886): CRITICAL **: xfce_desktop_new: assertion 'channel && property_prefix' failed
(xfdesktop:886): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_add_events: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
(xfdesktop:886): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
(xfdesktop:886): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
(xfdesktop:886): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
(xfdesktop:886): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_realize: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
(xfdesktop:886): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_window: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
(xfdesktop:886): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_lower: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
** (xfdesktop:886): CRITICAL **: xfce_desktop_set_session_logout_func: assertion 'XFCE_IS_DESKTOP(desktop)' failed

What should I do?

install a better distro

Fourth for herb slut wm master rice

5th for liniggers cant roll with the big unix dogs

I'm a newbie to GNU/Linux and I just discovered that you can use cd to tell the shell to go up X number of directories, and then into another directory in the same command, as cd ../other

This made me happy and I wanted to share to other newbies

Thank you

I recently installed kxstudio, which is essentially kubuntu 14.04. I'm really happy with it but I've come across one problem. I have previously been using mednaffe as a front end to retroarch but it seems that mednaffe requires more up to date packages than 14.04 comes with so I cannot compile it, I can't find a ppa for it either.
What would be the best thing here? I don't really want to update to 16.* just yet but I do want to be able to play some emulation games with my controller.

>They actually banished desktop threads from Sup Forums
Truly we live in a glorious new era

Are you serious? Looks shite mate.

>responding to obvious bait
are you autistic

It's hard to tell with arch users.

I'm passing through a GPU to qemu and it works fine the first time I start it, but after I shut the vm off once and try to start it again the screen just stays black, the only way I can fix it is by rebooting my PC

Any idea what would be causing this?

Should you send all data via a vpn with iptables? Or is there another way

ln -s /dev/null?

Epic. Let me see your setup

Are you passing through an AMD GPU?

Yeah

Why?

>LET ME SEE YOUR ANIME COLLECTION, I BET IT'S WAY LESS COOL THAN MY ANIME COLLECTION

How you sound

I have heard that that is a common issue with newer AMD GPUs. I pass through an r9 270 without issue, but I have heard of issues with other cards.

I'm running gnome on arch, and I would be using the global dark theme if it wasn't for Dolphin. While I prefer Dolphin to Nautilus (Or 'Files' as I guess it's now called), Dolphin stays in a light theme despite the global dark theme being enabled. Assuming there's no way to change this from Dolphin's end, I'd be willing to switch to Nautilus (Files) so I can use the dark theme, except for the fact that I cannot for the life of me get it to show thumbnails for video files. Works fine in Dolphin but not in Files.

What do

might have better luck with nemo

dolphin is qt isn't it?

install ffmpegthumbnailer

I've set
MENU MASTER PASSWD
In syslinux.cfg
Everytime i reboot, it dosent lock the menu out and ask for a password, when i press the arrow keys.Is there some other setting that has to go with it? Ive checked the wiki and i dont see anything else that should be done

Weird, it's also not showing thumbnails for video files. I've tried setting them to always show and setting the "Only for files smaller than" setting to the max. I also just installed Thunar and tried using it with the same result. Why does it only work for Dolphin?

I've reinstalled ffmpegthumbnailer several times, still doesn't work.

re-asking from the previous thread.

i'd still like either help and or an answer.

well shit i forgot to quote my own post from the previous thread

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Browser_plugins#MozPlugger

Is there a way to make my lenux machine pretty? Gnome is not my thing, KDE is too bloated and xfce is slow and barely gets updated.

>GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)
gtkforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=6516

try
nano /etc/blah.txt

>xfce...barely gets updated
kek, thats because shit works the first time

WOAH

Really? Most people I heard told me to stay away from it because it's slow and breaks. However, I hear bad things about all DEs anyway. I just want something minimalistic that still has a good amount of features, xfce seems to be the DE for this. I don't care about being bleeding edge or using wayland either, I'm fine with X.

i'd actually like it for chromium please

k good luck

Any recommendations for a C++ ide? I've been into java a lot with eclipse. But I don't see it as good for C++. Should I just man up and go with Vim? If so, any recommended resources to set up Vim the best way?

Can you share any resources on how to pass use GPU passthrough? Do you use KVM or Xen?

I tried to do that over a year ago and eventually gave up after fiddling a lot. Thanks in advance.

I used Qt Creator for a time, I liked it a lot. Now I just use emacs.

This is what I used:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

>that marble mouse

hey pham, get the scrolling on button click working on wayland?

been trying but not working out. can't get a concrete answer if it is there yet or not.

I am not on wayland, but I do have the small butttons set to scroll when the ball is moving and middle click when it is stationary.

Which one is my public ip and what are the others?

hostname -i: 123.101.123.123 123.101.124.123
curl ifconfig.co 12.123.12.123
ip a: inet 12.1.1.12/12 brd 12.1.1.123

Was thinking of attempting GPU passthrough on Debian.

Must something be setup during the OS install or is it fine to do it on an already existing install?

yeah that's how my setup is. but as stated couldn't figure out how to make it work on wayland.

thanks anyway.

I'm trying to open steam on my manjaro-kde laptop and it seem to load but doesn't open in the end. Is it some kind of system error or manjaro did fix it yet?

Everything should be fine as long as your Kernel and other utilities are new enough.

Yeah, that trackball is basically unusable without that feature. I have a program that lets it work that way on windows too (it also works on trackpoints).

What's the recommended "avoid" category?

Systemd
Pulseaudio

what else?

I'm trying to make a script to convert videos in a directory. Why do I need to cd to the directory for it to work?
for i in `ls -A $1`
do
avconv -i $i -acodec mp2 ~/Desktop/newdirectory/$i
done

Anoyone knows some linux-ck patch PPA or repo for Ubuntu 16.04 ? Or should I just patch it manually?

(Any other desktop optimized kernel would be nice too)

just do for i in $1/*

You have one internal and one external IP.
The internal IP is useful to contact machines inside your network, the external IP is useful to contact the wonderful wide web. Now think for yourself which one could be your public IP?

Never parse ls.
mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs

Furthermore, just use find. Something like:
find . -type f -iname "$1" -exec avconv -i {} stuff ~/Desktop/newdirectory/{} ';' Untested.

ignore is easier

someone pls animate this

Works on My Machine with Nemo(tm).

Dolphin won't comply with your dark theme setting because it's using Qt and your GTK settings won't affect it. If you want Dolphin to be dark, get a dark Qt theme and apply that one.

Explaining to you why you're an idiot would be a waste, because you wouldn't understand it anway.

Well said.

Daily reminder that installing Gentoo is the only sane way.

Gentoo. Don't install Gentoo.

>report something in the arch repos as out of date
>month later
>still not updated

This is seriously giving me a fuck. My PKGBUILD directory keeps on growing.

archlinux.org/packages/?sort=flag_date
>Flag date 2013-07-03

I'm not even using that package, but how is that allowed?

atom
chrome
conky
cowsay
flash
scrot
sublime
xscreensaver
zsh

>cowsay
If some guy has fun with it, why not?

>zsh
Can be an improvement, if not bundled with oh-my-zsh.

>scrot
Is ok too, bloat but ok.

>scrot
>bloat
i like it

what's wrong with my atom/sublime?

>scrot

You need 2 packages which occupy more space (maim and xdotool) to accomplish what scrot does: taking a screenshot of the active window.

atom = google analytics enabled by default, cant handle huge files, slow
sublime = nonfree pig disgusting
import screenshot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png

Oh, active window:
import -screen +repage screenshot_$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S).png

I agree, pretty salty list.

xdotool is pretty nice tbqh, with enough scripting skills, it's even possible to write a small WM with that thing

Well you can easily google a sublime key.
It's pretty free as in free beer :^)

thank you based compton, now I don't have to use an indian os on my desktop because of tearing problems

Go away windows babby.

You can't google a key in lenooks? I never used anything other than gedit.

What do you mean by "google a key"?

i wouldnt even install it for gratis

I mean you put "sublime text key" into google and you get a key to paste. Assuming they aren't blacklisted.

How would I make it capture the window border/decoration too?

Add "-frame" next to -screen.

>looking through screen capturing software
>there's something called escrotum

github.com/Roger/escrotum

Hello Sup Forums
I have been using GNOME for 2 months now
But I am missing something
A keyboard shortcut to hide all windows
Where is it, or if it isn't available can I get one?

Not running GNOME, but try CTRL+ALT+D.

Doesn't work

Super+D?

Nope
No combination with D works

I just looked into it, but is there a way to make it automatically select the currently active window? Without me having to click on it.

According to [0]this, I still need xprop or xdotool.

[0]wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/taking_a_screenshot#Screenshot_of_the_active.2Ffocused_window

Then do: System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Navigation > Hide all normal windows.
Maybe the command is empty, if so, just set a new hotkey.

Thanks, didn't think it would be in system settings, because most things are in the tweak tool

What currently-available laptop with a nice bright screen and keyboard with good travel runs linux (something simple like ubuntu) well?

While thinkpads have great keyboards, their screens are usually too dim for me. AlthoughI prefer a pointing stick is over the trackpad.

Yeah, I guess here you need an external tool, but xprop comes already with X.
import -window $(xprop -root _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW | sed 's/.* //') test.png

Have a new install of Debian 8.4. Any tips on getting different fonts in Iceweasel? I have tried installing some other fonts but I must be doing it wrong.

Running Mate desktop if that helps but also have default Gnome if needed.

Also I have another ubuntu machine with font I like in firefox. Any idea how I determine what package that comes from?

Hi

I'm pretty much an absolute beginner. I wanted to know, though, how do you make bring up the window with your system's specs and an ascii art logo of your distro? I usually see them in screenshot/rice threads.

Thanks for any help.

Aaaand back to scrot. I love scrot!
Scrot is small.
Scrot does one thing and does it well.
Scrot loves you.
SCROT!!!

kek, enjoy buddy. At least you learnd some ImageMagick wizardry.

It's called screenfetch, but don't install it from your distro repos (mostly outdated), get the git version.