257.7 MB

>257.7 MB
Why does this generation of programmers suck?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10392618/
electron.atom.io/
youtube.com/watch?v=Jyw_g1l1Zcg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>mac

I stole this pic from another thread

I'm obviously an Arch and Vim user

Without any incentive to make things deliberately small, developers will naturally use as much space as possible. No doubt within a decade atom will reach 2.5gb.

How do you even do it? This is more than just carelessness

>Built on node and chromium

>apple
>calling anything shit
>apple
>APPLE

i fail to see why that matters at all. how many editors do you actually use? if vim was 250mb and nothing else changed i'd still use it

This shit would use half of my ThinkPad's RAM wtf

Poorfag

Also just because a binary is 250mb doesn't mean it even uses 250mb, in this case it probably would because electrum

It's a text editor based on Chromium that reports back to Google Analytics, what the fuck do you expect?

Aren't text editors supposed to be more lightweight than IDEs?

strawpoll.me/10392618/

It's not about practicality. It's about letting me sleep easy at night.

This desu

Webdevs are cancer

Because
>CODING IS FUN xD

how exepnsive is ram? you can liteally buy 16gb for $100

>$100
that's twice as much as I paid for this computer

Your sleep is affected by the reported size of a binary program? You might want to get professional help for that.

Also memory usage and processor cycles.

Please be a joke. Nobody on Sup Forums can be this autistic.

>chromium

is it really? how?

It doesn't actually stop me sleeping. It just upsets me when I think about it.

well, you obviously bought an outdated unit

Abstractions are "cool", they'll use more of them, because it's 2016 etc etc dev time > machine time (ignoring that machine time = user time because selfish bastards etc etc)

Doubtful, vim's initial pull is the illusion of it being minimal

but it's ifdef hell and a bunch of amateurs managed to lighten it considerability (neovim). You'd probably switch to neovim.

Retards are using browser rendering engines and web servers as widget toolkits now.

electron.atom.io/

How the fuck is it outdated if it does everything I want just fine? I avoid bloatware and I'm fine.

github is a rails app, did you really expect them to put out a desktop application that was optimized? they care about rapid development, so they pick technologies they know and can iterate in faster. then they let end users deal with poorly optimized programs by purchasing better hardware. lots of games are like this too now. why optimize when it will delay release?

meanwhile my sublime text 3 process is running at 35MB... that's more reasonable I guess

Not that binary filesize matters, but
>based Sublime

>mine is smaller
wut

Looks like you have an older version?

>Every machine now has 4GB of RAM
>Complain about 250MB being used

>>mine is smaller
>wut

you have an older version.

the last release has more features and bug fixes

The entire OpenBSD operating system is only 233.7 MB.

6/10 almost fell for it

epik Sup Forumsro

>Every machine now has over 500GB of space
>Complain when a program takes up 250MB

many OS X applications take up an incredible amount of space once they're extracted from the DMG. it's ridiculous.

So

program A : 250 MB

program B: 30 MB

Note that Program A and B do the same thing, but you prefer the program A?

kys

Very VERY interesting that you gathered that from my post.

what?

youre supposed to run atom in a linux vm

4coder guys

it's made by a guy that cares about performance

youtube.com/watch?v=Jyw_g1l1Zcg

>Implying any text editor performs badly

kek

>Why does this generation of programmers suck?
It's "coders", or even better "code artisan".

Atom does.

They don't use machine code like real men

Hey, that was my picture.

And I was mocking the size of Atom, not in any way advocating its use.

I obviously use pic.

>coding is a "normie thing" now
>Sup Forums leaves coding and hops on to the shitty consumerist bandwagon
I wish I could just leave this hellhole already

>>Every machine now has 4GB of RAM
>>Complain about 250MB being used
>4GB
>four

Get a job so you can ride the 16GB meme.

>Why does this generation of programmers suck?

if i ever see that bitch irl i will go full autist and run up and beat her face in to the point where she will either no longer look human or be dead

>if it does everything i want it to it isn't outdated
>if it was made in 1955 but it does everything i want it to it isn't outdated

wtf why do you have to bring up the fact you use Arch. NOBODY CARES about you shit distro. Please leave.

DELETE THIS

>tfw I can't tell if I need more ram because software is just getting bigger and doing more, or if programmers are just lazy as balls

It's both, but fuck me.

250 mb isn't even a lot you morons

but look how sexy you can make atom look. almost looks as based as vim, but with advanced gui

hi millennial

sublime text is better and faster

Because way too many front end web devs want to feel like they're coding gods who are overlords of the programming universe and are dragging the world into the future kicking and screaming.

In reality they're interior designers who think they're skyscraper architects.

Just look at this shit. No extensions, nothing open but a blank document. Absolutely inexcusable.

latest version of sublime text on linux

20.1 MB

It is for a text editor.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root 24 Oct 29 1929 /bin/ed
-rwxr-xr-t 4 root 1310720 Jan 1 1970 /usr/ucb/vi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root 5.89824e37 Oct 22 1990 /usr/bin/emacs

“Ed is the standard text editor.”

Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA! ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES! ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!! ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR! ED MAKES THE SUN SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless help screens and cursor positioning code! I just want an EDitor!! Not a “viitor”. Not a “emacsitor”. Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED! ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

TEXT EDITOR.

When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their “edlin” on a Unix standard, did they mimic vi? No. Emacs? Surely you jest. They chose the most karmic editor of all. The standard.

Ed is for those who can remember what they are working on. If you are an idiot, you should use Emacs. If you are an Emacs, you should not be vi. If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION. THE SO-CALLED “VISUAL” EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE FAITHLESS. DO NOT GIVE IN!!! THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

>program A: open source
>program B: closed source
A it is.

i bet you have at least one proprietary software in your computer

:^)

>emacs filesize

You'd be a fool to use program A just for being open source when there are other superior FOSS options.

Atom being FOSS is invalidated by it being a flaming turd.

nice

but note that sublime text has a lot more features then np++

>sexy
I bet you think Javascript is "sexy" too you fucking reedditard mongoloid

shut the fuck up

:^))))))

Is Sublime Text 3 out of beta yet? I only use editors that have been stable for 30 years.

HE'S NOT LYING EITHER!

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 47784 Apr 30 09:45 /usr/bin/ed

nice icon. can you link it?

Werks on my machine

>google
>privacy reminder

Sublime Text 3 is currently in beta but it works flawlessly

do you want the .icns file?

your autism is absolutely inexcusable

Then why is it still in beta? Are there more planned features to implement?

It looks like I can use vi's keybindings using the Vintage package.

>implying it isnt

atom has better vim support. there are even nerdteree shortuct extensions for treeview. and of course, you can write your own.

Wanting efficiency in the tools one uses is not autism. What you're doing is like calling anybody not driving a hummer autistic because hey, who gives a fuck about gas milage?

because there has never been a better time for half-assed web dev hipsters like to proliferate, "geek culture" is the in thing, hardware is ultra-fast, and the internet is full of websites and forums that exist solely to spoonfeed newshits

throw that in with the egotistical nature of code monkeys and the selfishness of millennials (why should I care if my program runs like shit on someone else's machine? they should stop being poor and trying to interfere with my ARTISTIC VISION!) and you get a recipe for disaster

I would kiss her.

web technologies should stay on the web, we do't want them to infect our computer with google malwares.
The average webdev is as retarded as the average soldier and they will produce shitty softwares.
We already have the java cancer on our machines we don't want that node.js disease.

Much better than a piece of shit like win32 API actually. It's still shit though. The correct implementation is to create a HTTP API endpoint and make clients that use it. One of those can be an HTML5 page.

Does the shadow add the extra size?

combining the worst technologies to do something they're not for.. why not?

Just use sublime text desu

Only a dumb nigger would use memey editors like sublime. Why would you restrict yourself to such an underpowered editor?

>Why would you restrict yourself to such an underpowered editor?
I just checked, and I was able to use Sublime Text, notepad and GNU nano all at the same time. Where is this restriction you speak of?

you're restricting yourself by using not one, but three terrible editors