Why do use linux?

why do use linux?

Freedoms

better question
why do you use windows? why do you want to pay for your computer's basic software, while there's free alternative? ubuntu is enough for daily use, and you can run every microsoft office version. linux is useless at games but at least now steam supports it. if you are a faggot who spends 5 hours a day gaming go with windows.

Because Linux has no Foss alternatives for primvera and remote SAP you shitwad

Freedoms

Enjoy your telemetry games

As an American Freedom(libre) is my prime directive.

To piss off you paid Microsoft shills.

Why do you let Microsoft fuck you in the ass?

>steam suppports it

>it's useless

what?

>marketing
>free software

What?

gotta sell your software, even if not for money.

I kek'd.

What does it matter for you in the end? These threads get posted here everyday, like who cares, just use whatever you want to use.

Because my SBC doesn't have any mature BSD support yet

Because I use FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

Yes, I do want to pay for basic software. Especially when that basic software implies my hardware is actually used to its full extent. Windows has better drivers, better software, better support, is more stable, more elegant and basically superior to Linux in almost every way imaginable, at least when it comes to desktop.

i don't know about steam, but it's probably app store thing, there's still lots of games inside of it that doesn't support linux, also driver software is a problem in linux.
>windows is superior almost EVERYWAY
what about viruses? what about performance in old devices? what about telemetry? what about customization? Windows is just a OS that has less freedom and customization but greater software support than linux. there's no need to hate linux since it's free. they aren't harming anyone except microsoft.

Because it's a nicer development environment IMO, simple as. Plus I'm just more familiar with it now; I haven't felt this familiar with Windows since XP.

I don't hate Linux at all. I just prefer Windows as my desktop environment. I've used Linux for years before switching over. I can say it's better in almost every way without feeling any guilt.

because it's easier to do majority of things

easier to encode videos
easier to shitpost
easier to program
easier to tweak and learn
easier to run any type of office shit
easier to run servers that I need to tweak for personal/company use
easier to maintain
easier to protect

Development
Pipes
Fun

HURD wasn't finished in time

>Windows has better drivers, better software, better support, is more stable, more elegant and basically superior to Linux in almost every way imaginable,
Nothing specific you listed was true but I guess there might exist something that it is better at that I'm not aware of.

Agreed. RMS' GNU philosophy is American as fuck.

eh.. the better drivers part is definitely true in most cases.
Better support is also true, if you don't want to deal with the spergfest that is linux forums.
It is more elegant for the end user that wants it to "just work" and look nice.
I'd love to recommend linux to Joe Bloggs, but I just can't do that yet.

Because it does what I want less painful than any other OS.

By now I'm so used to Debian, that switching to something "better" (even a different distro) would take me a too long to get used to and I just don't want to spend the time doing that.

Besides, who cares what OS I use. I don't care what you use either.

Don't want to pirate windows.
I already paid for my computer an all its components. I'm not going to blow an extra cent on an OS by a company I don't support.

Because this is pajeet trying to earn rupees so he can move to the US

Because Linux is a fairly good kernel.

Windows 10 comes with too many services running out of the box and it totally cripples those $200 "cloudbooks" that Microsoft is shilling.

I bought one as a snes emulation machine and higan-performance doesn't run at full speed on windows 10, whereas on a minimal linux installation, it does.

hipsterism

Better for servers and I know enough about it to use it as a desktop

Because it goes nice with my fedora and wape.

because it's more customizable than windows and mac os x

Customization is nice. Unity within UI elements. Ability to build from the ground up specifically for my needs - no bloat. Does everything I need it do. Efficient. Package manager - universal place to update OS and all programs is nice. Because I can.

Shit...he right tho

>No forced updates
>No windows 10 spam
>I decide which software I need
>Performance