Why is it that some DIMMs need heatsinks why others don't? Do they just have crap thermals...

Why is it that some DIMMs need heatsinks why others don't? Do they just have crap thermals, and what does that say about the quality of those DIMMs in general?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CFg6amMLd-o
youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3qXmEAVwQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's just so they can create a design they can market as gamur gear.

Why are gaymers so retarded? Couldn't they be content with ensuring that I can't buy a motherboard that doesn't look like a spaceship?

>Corsair ram is so huge you can’t even fit an aftermarket cpu heatsink

Lmao

Yeah, this shit is retarded. Its impossible to find something decent that isnt rice with hundreds of bright leds everywhere.

>he doesn't look inside his case

Some people have preferences, you just aren't looking for the right parts. There's a whole market for server and consumer grade parts that don't flash off gaymer aesthetic

Any suggestions for a z170 mobo which doesn't look like it used to belong to Paul Walker?

>Why is it that some DIMMs need heatsinks why others don't?
None of them do. It's just that people keep buying them.

I bought pic related recently. It was one of the least "designed" motherboards I could find, and I thought it was bad enough.

I find Gigabyte tones it down a little compared to MSI and SNSV.
Picked this baby up recently, could be better but it could be a lot worse.

The z170-a by asus isn't too bad, it's pretty much just a black pcb with white heatsinks

the z170 kind of sucks though, the socket type just so happens to fit the perfect gaymer processor

If you got an x99
you'd have a pretty subtle choice of parts

>Why do Lamborghini's look so "sporty." Couldn't they be content with a Toyota Camery?

>ULTRA DURABLE

There really is a case to be made, though. I do realize that they have certain aerodynamic constraints, but some sports car really look like they were made for Rick Ross and noone else.

Compared to pic related, I'd almost prefer driving a Camry.

No that picture isn't related, that's a Bugatti touring car, not a production sports car

>He doesn't browse /o/

To be fair they're pretty fucking tough. Even got reinforced PCIe slots for heavy GPUs.

They are useful for RAM overclocking. But mostly they are there just for looks.

That's only true if you, by "sports car", mean "racing car", which is really not how you'd normally use the term.

Msi gaming mobo are pretty annoying looking, but the fact that the "circuit trace" silk screen between the cpu and ram sockets don't actually represent the actual circuit traces (even if it was just the top layer or something) is triggering my autism a bit much

It's good marketing space. RAM pretty much never needs a heat sink. FBDIMMs are the only ones that come to mind which actually do because the buffer chip gets molten.

I've had a gigabyte board running an i7 870 at 4.2ghz for 4 years now.
I have a working pIII system at home with a gigabyte board.

So yes, in my experience they do last quite well

Rambus (remember them?) actually needed its heatspreaders, too. Reason being that it was laid out differently than regular RAM, and certain patterns of reads/writes could concentrate the whole DIMM's heat output onto one chip. That isn't possible with DDR.

>he buys hardware for his computer by appearance rather than by function

Oh yea, I totally forgot about XDR. Those were the first IIRC to have heatspreaders on them that were necessary. I used to want that shit so bad because the name was cool.

What memory fans does Sup Forums use?
I want to use pic related but I run quad channel, not triple channel.

I got this MB from MSI. It's pretty good running my 4690k at 4.5ghz. pretty cheap too

I've never experienced a motherboard that has "died from old age" at all, though, and I've had several systems running more or less continuously for a decade, though.

this just seems so pointless...

>seems

are you retarded?

What if I want to OC my ram over 9000mhz?

what the fuck ...

Whatever happened to green pcbs?

this. I don't understand why people don't get this concept. Some people buy a car to get from point A to point B and some people buy a car to DRIVE it.

It's the same with computers and a shitload of other things.

The new black shit is more corrosion resistant.

Ah.

So it's about compensation for small penises?

There are literally zero performance gains to be had with leds and useless plastic deadweight when it comes to computers.

I picked up the UD5-TH just recently for exactly this fucking reason. The Gaming 7 was hardly any more expensive and it was debatably a bit better, but fuck, I just couldn't stand that gaymur shit, and the UD5 actually looks pretty sleek in my opinion. I'm not sure if I should consider myself a nigger for buying a board because of aesthetics, or feel vindicated in that I didn't buy some gamer trash.

dominator platinum ddr4 master race reporting in :^)

If they have the space to do that kind of unnecessary design, why can't they do something useful like print the names and basic specifications of each component port in large legible fonts. Motherboards needed better design -- actual, serious, technical design -- 20 years ago. Instead they got boob jobs.

>Why is it that some DIMMs need heatsinks why others don't?
None of them need it. Hell, many of the "heatsinks" you see on RAM are insulative. It's purely a dumb aesthetic thing.

this is the metaphotical equivalent of shiny spinners and rims. It's not necessary for the "just get from A to B" guy, but it doesn't help you either because it doesn't make the car faster, better handling, or anything. It's just bling.

and I for one would be able to buy high-quality, fast RAM without it.

>boob jobs

Speaking of which, I wonder when mbs start coming out with integrated fleshlights and such. I mean the market is out there.

Of course it is.

>some people buy a car to DRIVE it.
And then there are those who drive pic related. That would be the equivalent of a "gaming" motherboard.

Yeah, some people just like the look of it though

youtu.be/CFg6amMLd-o

youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3qXmEAVwQ
Is it the fate of Bugatti to be the subject of bad music?

>and I for one would be able to buy high-quality, fast RAM without it.
Just buy something from a good brand (i.e. someone who makes the chips) and set the speed and timings yourself. There's no elaborate binning process for consumer-grade RAM. It's all the same shit.

The chip makers don't generally sell DIMMs.

Micron (Crucial) and Samsung do, off the top of my head.

Surprisingly MSI seems to have the most plain looking one.

Things have gone far off the deep end when that looks "plain" in comparison.

>anons bitching about gayming motherboards
If you really don't care about looks you will buy a cheapest motherboard possible and be done with it.

B-but the cheapest motherboards usually lack connectivity options.

the C236 chipset variant of that board is nicer looking

A lot of super cheap RAM is high voltage and thus requires a heatsink.

None of them need heatsinks. They just sell more by making them look cooler.

Sure, as long as you don't care about overclocking either.

No RAM needs heatsinks.
They just put that shit on to lure gamertards who think everything needs hypercooling

Sell more by looking cool? They'll sell regardless since computers need RAM. The heatsink is literally for aesthetics only. While they so have thermal pads in the shroud, it doesn't make much of a difference at all. I doubt anyone wanting to do a black/white themed build will buy ram thats blue or black. It costs pennies to manufacture the plastic heatsinks so why not right?

i got the pro gamer too.

it looks gay but it's a good mobo for the money so i can't complain.

anything is better than gigabyte light blue. yet again good boards that look tacky as fuck.

pic related.