What hypervisor are you using? What management interface?

What hypervisor are you using? What management interface?

Other urls found in this thread:

theforeman.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

whats wrong with virtualbox?

Xen, and just the standard CLI utils.

No one uses it in a production environment. However, fucking around with it for personal projects and such is the usual use-case for it.

still can't quite get the oracle stink off it

Resource overhead, it's fine for testing something out but it runs in userspace.

linux with kvm

KVM only runs on Linux. I take that to mean you're using libvirt/virt-manager?

linux together with kvm is a hypervisor

hyper-v so i can run gentoo on windows 2012 r2

KVM is a set of kernel modules in Linux providing hypervisor functionality.

Citrix Xenserver + Xencenter
Vmware Workstation

How are the Hyper-V vnics working with it?

yeah, and by loading them the linux kernel itself becomes a hypervisor

How would you rate the usability of Xenserver?

i gave up and used the slow legacy driver

7/10 - its ok for basic stuff and you still have the xen command line - support and documentation is shit tier tho.

I've used Proxmox, VMWare, Hyper-V, and KVM with LibVirt.

Each has its faults and I've found KVM with LibVirt to be best suited to my use case. I'm still trying to find a proxmox-like interface for it that allows for client-facing vm creation.

ESXi

Have you tried foreman for the KVM / LibVirt front-end? theforeman.org/

It does a bit more than VM creation but should work for what you want.

Looks interesting, I'll have to check it out.

I've tried to get rid of Virtualbox but I can'd figure out what causes everything to be dog fucking slow when I use KVM and virt-manager (Linux guest on a Linux host)

Probably just KVM assuming that you aren't going to bother with running a windowing system on the guest

Set IO to "native" and cache to None on your disk. Also use SATA driver, it works better than IDE.

If you've already installed with the IDE setting you'll have to perform a rather annoying driver swap in Windows editing the registry.

is that only for disk-related things though? that wasn't really my problem, reading from disk and networking ran at good speed (file copies ran at 80+MB/s over a gigabit connection, way better than virtualbox), but using a DE was very slow and stuttery. Moving windows, scrolling in them, shit like that took several seconds and pegged the host's CPU.

It has an effect in general as DLLs are loaded when performing various actions. Did you select "copy host CPU configuration"? By default KVM drops to the lowest common denominator (which lacks many features in modern processors).

>DLLs
windows isn't involved, user, Linux VM on a Linux host. Also I did tell it to use the host CPU configuration

>running a windowing system on the guest
The Native IO is a known issue with Windows.

Wow, I skipped over "ing"
Valid point.

If you do a ps aux do you see any qemu-kvm or just qemu?

I don't have it up and in front of me right now but I do remember setting it to KVM only and not qemu

vSphere of course.

>support and documentation is shit tier

b-b-b-but open source community!

how hard is it to get citrix xenserver/xencenter up and running?

A monkey could do it

>Using a type 2 hypervisor

VirtualBox

Nothing, but then again I only use it to do projects in Visual Studio.

just using virtualbox because lolitjustwerks

good to know, seems like xen is THE cloud provider. how different is xenserver/xencenter from normal xen?

read that as lolit jus twerks

Because I'm not a retard and know what I'm doing, I use vSphere

qemu/kvm/virt-manager and spice