/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HXonTHIkMnw
amazon.com/HiFiMeDIY-Digital-Analog-Converter-PCM2706/dp/B00CWVDPC0
amazon.co.uk/HiFimeDIY-UAE23-ES9023-Optical-Converter/dp/B00AOH5JTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465161306&sr=8-1&keywords=sabre dac
amazon.co.uk/Hifime-Sabre-9018-USB-DAC/dp/B01B16X7WY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465161306&sr=8-2&keywords=sabre dac
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sorry kiddo but "analytical" isn't a buzzword.

Why don't you get some fashionable and good looking headphones?

But is is true. Akg posters are usually the most vocal, and the most active in the threads. That is why I made the mistake of ordering some, and they do it for free. i don't see how that is not a shill, same with grados 4 years ago.

Because money spent on making a headphone look pretty is money that could have been used making it sound better.

I live in a third world shithole where amazon doesn't deliver. The only option is sony showroom in the city. So, pls recommend some good sony headphones.
>Budget
$200 max
>Location
myanmar
>Source
laptop, galaxy note 3
>Preferred type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
i am okay with both
>Comfort level
medium
>Preferred tonal balance
don't know
>Preferred music
hip-hop, vocaloid, EDM
>Past headphones
Razer karaken pro (It broke after 1.5 year)

MDR-7506 and MDR-V6 are pretty nice if you want closed back. They're basically the same, so you should be able to get whichever is cheaper at the moment.

techno swing/housefag here
I'm thinking about buying the custom one pro
am I going to get memed?

I'd love to see you correlate 'analytical' with a response characteristic.

And no, the sharp, painful treble and tinny upper midrange are not 'analytical'.

>Glossy cheap plastic
>Good looking

Are these memes? Should I get FLC8S instead?

Looks like some cheap Chinese knockoffs with the bolts and chunky angles.

Whoops! Forgot the image.

They look like they are printed on a cheap 3d printer. Somehow.

Or made from duct tape.

Why risk it when you can get something tried and tested like the SE535

beats look like shit though, and the design really dates itself. even normalfags can't look at them now and not think "oh, mid-2000s headphones".

unless you want to step up your budget considerably the v6 is still the best headphone sony makes imo.

well they're bassy if that's what you want. most of the switch positions are similar except for one where the bass just drops off. and on all of them the treble is jank. heavy drop from upper mids on, then back up to a peak. CAL is much better, and it costs less. the isolation and durability will be less though.

they're good, but very bass heavy, like the se215.

LEAST SHITTY active noise cancelling headphone I can find on aliexpress?

>Budget
$100-150
>Location
US
>Source
Computer
full
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
want good quality and I will sacrifice for comfort but i'll be wearing them for hours on end, so some comfort is required
>Preferred tonal balance
-
>Preferred music
rap, hip hop, everything is cool sometimes
>Past headphones
logitech g633, shitty and always fall off

>on aliexpress
here is where you fucked up. I would not trust random chinks with ANC. get a bose qc series or go home. buy some old used ones if you have to.

xpt-100

repostin from last thread
>Budget: $60
>Location: Canada
>Source: Phone, handheld consoles (Must have straight cable end, L shaped won't work)
Preffered Type: Full size
>Comfort Level: Not loose pls
>Past Headphones
-Sony ZX-100
Sound and comfort were pretty good, problem was that they didn't fit so well in my bag
-Status HD One
Pic related, pretty much everything I want in on-the-go audio. Great sound, detachable cable, folds up, comes with a carry pouch, even lets me blend in with normies who think im using beats. Very tempted to just get another pair

Picked up a pair of Sony XBA-H1's from Best Buy for $75. These are my first in ear's and I'm very happy with them, although I'm missing my in-line mic and controls.

The frailty of the cabling and jack concern me though, I don't see them lasting a year. Any ideas as to how I can reinforce them? I was thinking about buying some cable sleeving and and running it over where the cable meeting the plug.

Hi /hpg/. What the fuck is up with F2K on Android? I was excited to use it but it's been a huge letdown so far.

Ask /csg/, check their wiki first so they don't bark at you.

Managed to sew on a piece of cloth to cover my flaking headband on my m50, feels good.

Broke your modding cherry. Noice!

>buy headphones
>sound the same as my Seinheiser 201 and they feel way to fucking strong on my head. It's like they're sucking up my eardrums

t-t-thanks Sup Forums

The weak link in your audio chain might be your source or audio files.

Lossless flac.

Just need an earphone I can put one while jogging without falling of. I prefer on-ear instead of in-ear and below $100.

You forgot the source.

I haven't seen anyone recommend the M50x without another user going apeshit over the recommendation.

>>sound the same as my Seinheiser 201
You're probably just deaf.

Is it possible, maybe, that these headphones are just crap? do you want this or the colored images?

Those two statements seem to contradict eachother.

Haven't seen her in a while.
When I went back to the hd201's from my dt990s I couldn't understand how I ever used them. b8 or horrible hearing

>Is it possible
Sure it is possible but I doubt they'd sound like Senn 201. They have very different sound signatures.

You still haven't disclosed the source and given how you've tried to dodge the question it seems unlikely to be worth any further response.

>Those two statements seem to contradict eachother.
How so?

They're banning mummyposters

Think about it.

I'm not sure what source you're asking for.

>I'm not sure what source you're asking for.
What player are you using? Your smartphone? Your PC? A Cowon Plenue D?

>I haven't seen anyone recommend the M50x without another user going apeshit over the recommendation.
>You're probably just deaf.
Someone recommending an M50x and getting attacked for it contradicts you not being able to hear a difference between two completely different sound signature?

my PC

Yeah?

>my PC
Probably your source then. Maybe you should look into getting an external DAC.

Fell in love when the whole russian aggression thing went down and then was homeless and then did 8 months in jail. Figured she was just a forgotten thing

>Figured she was just a forgotten thing
Mostly. The occasional thread still pops up on Sup Forums.

Don't want to go too off topic but it doesn't contradict anything.

Well I'm not deaf

It's just an exaggeration.

Well, if you can't tell a difference I guess that's good because you get to save money.

>Budget
80€
>Location
Germany
>Source
Rockboxed Sansa Clip Plus and Galaxy s5
IEM
>Open or closed
>Comfort level
Pretty comforable ones, since I want to use them during workouts
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Preferred music
>Past headphones
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (Used them for workouts before, but the cable started to detach on one side. Repaired them already once but it started again, now on both sides)
Shure SE535 (Sent for warranty, since one sides filter got clogged I think and sound barely comes out of it. I doubt they will repair/send me a new pair)

Stuff that would be nice:
remote (forward, pause, back)
Detachable cable, though I doubt you can get that with this budget
Tips that are compatible with the ones from Shure IEMs

I am thinking of getting the Piston 3, though I have a far better budget and I fear that they are way worse than what I had before. Any advice on them?

Also what do you think of Sennheiser Momentum? Do they just look nice and have a meme brand on them, or do they actually deliver good quality?

MA 750

Feels nice to have some bass for once ;)

The version with the remote is slightly above my budget (100€)

Also the filter of these looks like to be completely exposed. I am afraid that they may get clogged after a short period of time like my Shures.
Did anyone had similar problems with this?

Also does someone know if the remote works with the Sansa Clip+? I'm afraid that there is no actual remote working with it...

>I am afraid that they may get clogged after a short period of time like my Shures.
Three year warranty so you'll get them repaired/replaced for a long time.

>Tfw I ignored some shills in favor of some others
>Tfw I have a pair of X2's heading my way

What am I in for bros? Music bliss or Eargrating noise?

You could have replaced the 535 filters yourself.
The PFE 111 is the only thing mentioned so far that gets near neutral, but what did you think of them.

That has a very marginal relevance to do with headphones. Lossy file coding and D-A don't relate to the headphone impression.

>order some Audio-Technica Mx50s from a store online.
>order goes fine
>sometime later get told that they couldn't verify my info
>resend info by email as requested
>no response
>try again
>no response
>try tech support
>same automated email as before and nobody to talk to.
>a month goes by
>"we've refunded you because we couldn't verify your info."
I'm not sure I could do that again. I'll wait on ordering some.

>Budget
125$ (thought I can't say I'm too sure how much I'm willing to put in it.)
> Location
Israel
>Source
Computer
>preferd type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfort is not one of the higher priority for me but I would wear it for long hours so it should be reasonably comfortable.
It is also very importent that they would be durable.

>Budget
Maximum €1600.
>Location
Europe.
>Source
O2+ODAC.
Full-Size.
>Open or closed
I prefer closed headphones but it doesn't matter as long as it sounds good.
>Comfort level
High. I don't want a fucking brick on my head.
>Preferred tonal balance
Warm.
>Preferred music
Rock and classical.
>Past headphones
Cheap $5 shit.

>Budget
15€
>Location
Germany
>Source
Xperia Z3
>perefered type of headphone
in-ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort leven
a high priority for me, want to use them while laying on the bed, sitting in the bus, going to school etc.

I was thinking of buying the ATH-R70X after the cable on my ATH-700X broke.
Any recommendations on DACs and AMPs?

Was looking around alot and found that the Xiaomi Piston3 are pretty much the best ones you can get with that budget, though I haven't tried them yet.

>kids outside blowing vuvuzelas and using airhorns

this is why i use closed headphones

Are there still any cheap-o tier headphones that beat out the MDR V6's bang-for-the-buck yet?

Thank you

Not audio but looking for good speakers for my PC. Hopefully someone can give some guidance.

Are the Audioengine HD6 speakers worth it? Any experience with Audioengine speakers, anyone?

Not headphone audio, I mean...

What DAC?

Unless you actually know what you're getting into I wouldn't reccomend it. Then again, I'm not in particular knowledgable, just not very satisfied with my purchase. *scratches headache*

Where did you get that image? exactly!

I'll see if they replace them with warranty, if not I'll give it a shot.

The PFE 111 were simply fantastic. I think these are the only ones where you could simply replace the filter if you want to have some more bass (green or black filters, white is neutral).
I had them for about 5 years and they sounded nearly as good as the Shure SE535 (Notice the price difference, about 100€ to 400€).

Mine now look like some ghetto buds with shrink tubing all around the buds to reattach the lose cable. Though the cable broke again right at the end of the shrink tube. I guess the plastic of the cable is just worn out and breaks apart easily.
Would try to buy the same ones again if there was a possibility, unfortunately Phonak bailed from the In-Ear business and you can only buy used once out there with no warranty what so ever. Also new filters cost around 30€ nowadays...

>Buy an amp/dac with 0.1 gain
>Barely move the knob at all because it gets so fucking loud so fucking fast

Holy shit.

Opinions on the Alpha Prime?

I heard the HD800 has infinite detail and incredible soundstage. How much more detail does it have over the HD600s I currently own?

>Are there still any cheap-o tier headphones that beat out the MDR V6's bang-for-the-buck yet?

nope

M40x comes close, but nowhere near the V6 when it coes to comfort

>Budget
50e, slightly flexible
>Location
Finland
>Source
Pc + phone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Preferrably open
>Comfort level
high, long gaming/listening sessions
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy, neutral, v-shaped
>Preferred music
Seven lions, dubstep in general
>Past headphones
hyperx cloud 1

Would you suggest those headphones to a friend? I'm a bit bored of my DT990 600 and XBA H1, looking to add something new to the mix.

Why the fuck are all the TOTL headphones priced around $2000 and above but the Sennheiser HD800/HD800S costs like $1000-$1500 and is considered to be better than most?

Like, why would I pay $2500 for an Audeze that has shit build quality but sounds good when I can get a Sennheiser for $1500 that has good build quality and sounds good?

Because more expensive must be better~ Audiophiles.

Diminishing returns start at 300.
Amps and dacs hardly make a lick of difference above ODac/O2.
Most recordings aren't that great and it's ultimately the limiting factor in hi-fi.

It feels like shopping for headphones is just a gamble because it's so difficult to listen to them in person before buying. Of course Amazon has an amazing return policy but if you do too many returns they ban you. Shit is extremely frustrating.

Also;
How can I reinforce the cabling and jack on my XBA h1? Posted this before but I'm worried that they're going to fall apart in like a year.

>That has a very marginal relevance to do with headphones.
If you have a crap source it is only of marginal relevance? Because the file coding will make up for a crap source? Did you mislink?

youtube.com/watch?v=HXonTHIkMnw

The cable of my Creative EP-630 broke. (Must be the 5th or so time this happened and I bought new ones every time when it wasn't easy to repair with the soldering iron).

Now the EP-630 are around since 2005, and most technical things got a lot better in the last 10 years and are even cheaper now.
Are there better ear buds in the same price range (about 16€, let's say up to 20€ or $) now?

It's most important for me, that the bass response is as good as the one of the EP-630 and that it has the same or a higher loudness (the EP-630 have 106dB and 16Ω).

I also have the very cheap (6€) Panasonic RP-HJE120E1 as spare ear buds, because they are often recommended. They don't sound bad too, but they aren't loud enough and I can't hear the bass. I also don't like their clunky shape.
I'm not looking for audiophile grade ear buds, I there is nothing better on the market I'm going to buy the EP-630 again.
Any tips?

How do the MDR-V6 compare with the hifiman he350? Both are about the same price right now.

Don't even get me fucking started on all the "custom" amplifiers and DACS that people spend thousands of dollars on. Like holy fucking shit dude, calm down with your money.

ayo cracka which colo u want?

Was able to fix them (cable broke at the soldering) successfully yet again. So I don't need new ones now.

I just bought my first pair of decent headphones (Sony MDR-V6) and am very pleased with them. Unfortunately the headphone jack on my PC is broken.

I have been plugging them into the speaker jack instead, but this causes the PC to treat them like they're speakers, which messes up a few things. Directional sounds are definitely weird.

Is there a cheap hardware solution that will grant me another headphone jack without compromising sound quality?

I used to have a little $5 USB-to-headphone converter but the sound quality on it was really bad and it broke pretty quickly.

amazon.com/HiFiMeDIY-Digital-Analog-Converter-PCM2706/dp/B00CWVDPC0

sounds like an average /hpg/ poster

Got a chance to pick up a pair of Bose qc3 about two weeks ago now and these aren't half bad at all.

These are a really nice pair of headphones, a shame bose shills kept these from being inexpensive on eBay two years ago when I wanted them

I would, they're a SLIGHTLY less detailed 702 but with actual bass and sub bass, they're also more comfortable than the 702 thanks to the memory foam pads and more narrow+flexible headband.

Some people say they're a bit warm, some say otherwise. Unless you HATE a slightly warm sound then I would def recommend them. Try to get them from ebay instead of amazon though, mine cost £179.99 but they cost £220 on amazon.

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here. I have a pair of Seinheiser HD 201. They work but the only problem is they are way too fucking quiet. The only way to get them to a decent level on my PC is to hook them up to my TV monitor and turn the EQ up to max and even then, I still have to turn the TV up pretty high. Are they supposed to be like this?

After owning a few low impedance headphones I now bought two 250 ohm headphones (DT 770, 990). According to the specs, none of my sources (macbook, sansa clip, Yamaha ag06) should be able to adequately drive them, but I do get loud enough sound from them. Should I still get an amp made for these higher impedance headphones or is it all the same as long as it is loud enough?

Bose sound good but their quality is ass. The cords will break and the plastic will snap.

>According to the specs, none of my sources (macbook, sansa clip, Yamaha ag06) should be able to adequately drive them
Elaborate. High impedance loads are easier.

I bought it from this listing: amazon.co.uk/HiFimeDIY-UAE23-ES9023-Optical-Converter/dp/B00AOH5JTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465161306&sr=8-1&keywords=sabre dac

However the one that arrived is actually this one:amazon.co.uk/Hifime-Sabre-9018-USB-DAC/dp/B01B16X7WY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465161306&sr=8-2&keywords=sabre dac

I'm not sure if they sent me the best one by mistake or if the one I got is just a new shell that has replaced the old design. Either way it's great for me, the dac cancels noise and that's all it needs to do for me. I don't understand why people spend crazy money on dacs.

Max volume level on your computer? What operating system? What music player software and music file? I have that headphone.

Sounds like your sound card's headphone amp is weak/blown. Get an amp.

I need a good pair of wireless earphones. I don't care about brand and I can afford a few hundred dollars at the moment but would be averse to saving up and purchasing a better pair.

Nothing about my setup is reddit at all you stupid pedo.

bose just came out with tthe qc35, wireless noise cancelling. do you think its good???