Is liquid cooling just a money-wasting meme for modders or is it actually useful for reducing noise or extending the...

Is liquid cooling just a money-wasting meme for modders or is it actually useful for reducing noise or extending the life of the computer?

Other urls found in this thread:

relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2
techspot.com/review/756-water-cooling-vs-air-cooling/page3.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's quieter.

I guess it's possible that it increases the life of components because it reduces thermal shock of rapid heating and cooling.

if you have to get rid of a thousand watts of heat it is indeed the only way to do that at an acceptable noise level.

most people don't overclock that far though. You should only build a loop if doing so sounds like a fun hobby project to you, that's the real reason to do it.

to get a quiet and efficient cooler there is literally TWO options
get a liquid cooler
or
get a big ass noctua that takes up 90% of the case

Well it's almost never cost effective. This board has been over it.
But if your PC is your hobby then it can be great fun, and it does yield results in the overclocking department.
Plus you can make your system very quiet, which is useful if you can hear your GPU cooler for example.

This

How can it be quieter if you still need loads of fan to cool the liquid?

You can set the fans to be quieter / slower since its more effective at moving heat from blocks to radiators to be dissipated.

>caring about what it looks like inside the case
>having windows on your case
>being underage or a manchild

Liquid cooling is a meme. Moisture over time causes corrosion and makes solder joints become brittle. And you can never get your temps below ambiance without using something like an actual electric air conditioning system or liquid nitrogen.

Undervolted fans. Or just low RPM fans I suppose.
You can find rads that perform ok with sub 1000RPM fans.
Then you just carefully choose high flow parts for the system and set your D5 pump to the lowest setting.
Make certain to have all SSDs and a quiet PSU if you do though.

>Moisture over time causes corrosion and makes solder joints become brittle
Hahaha. Yeah it's a real plague of rusty PCBs

>temps below ambiance
Who ever wanted that in the first place. The point is clearly to have the same, decent temps as on air. But whisper quiet.

This

liquid coolers are louder. they have more moving parts (pump, up to 3 fans).

they are also not much more efficient (if at all) than large air coolers.

aio liquid coolers all suck and a custom loop is expensive.

don't fall for the meme. only teenagers with windowed cases fall for it.

relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2

>Temps below ambient
I'm actually looking at this. A local business is tossing out some water fountains with good chillers inside. I need a new project so fuck it why not.

I'm curious if I could sell it on eBay to gamers for hot $$$.

>It's quieter.
no, it's not.

The Noctua meme is good.
The noise will be the same OP, because of the pump.
Btw, if you want reliability, take a air cooler.
The performance is the same (if you pick air cooler who have the same price of aircoolers)

I used to think it didn't matter, but after seeing a few GPUs die, I think watercooling is the only real way to not kill them.

techspot.com/review/756-water-cooling-vs-air-cooling/page3.html

aio fags getting btfo out itt

Its gonna form water, from condensation, which will fuck the computer up.

Liquid "cooling" is literally just another fucking meme just for the retarded ricer kids to waste money at, just like lazer sensors for mice and RGB LEDs for keyboards.

Think about it. What does liquid cooling do over normal cooling? Fucking nothing. The "liquid" in liquid cooling isn't even for cooling the components, it only transfers the heat to a radiator mounted at a different location which a fan then has to blow air through regardless. If you were to look at total components:

>normal cooling
heatsink + fan

>liquid cooling
pump + radiator(heatsink) + fan

>more sources of noise producing less sound
top fucking kek

The only reasons you'd want liquid cooling at all is when your choice of hardware creates space/airflow limitations forcing you to transfer the heat to somewhere else, say using 2x or more GPUs to prevent the hot air after passing one card to go into the next card, assuming that you aren't using those godawful blowtorch style fans+sink.

OP did post an image of a custom loop though.
The idea of an AIO being actual liquid cooling is like calling heatpipes liquid cooling imo.
They come with loud pumps and skinny rads that need loud fans.

If you can mention a card with a GPU cooler that's more silent than a variable speed D5 on setting 1 or 2 you have an argument.
If not the custom loop will always be much more silent under load.

(You)

I would build a water cooling in the future, and not because of noise or overclock, but because I want a sealed case with no dust inside. I live in a rather dusty area, and my PC picks up so much dust I have to clean 4 times a year, or it would start overheating. With water cooling it would be reduced to just cleaning one radiator, and that is what I am going for here.

Post graphs of benches of sound made by both fan and pump on various settings.

>4 times a year
>getting a can of compressed air and cleaning up PC every 2-3 months

Yes, you see, the case is heavy, and I have to move it out, drag all the way to the elevator, take it outside, blow it with compressed air, disassemble, blow it again, maybe take GPU cooler off, because it is really hard to clean properly, and then drag it back to the elevator and return to my apartment to reconnect all the stuff. And I am not blowing it in my apartment of course - I don't want all this dust to be back in my room just to be succed back. So I would try my best to make the radiator detachable, so I would just disconnect it, take it outside, blow it, connect it back.

>a can of compressed air

Why don't you just buy a compressor? The shittier ones are dirt cheap and you won't be wasting your money in literally canned air.

It's quieter and cools better, no question about that.

It's also a PITA to install compared to air coolers, especially if you're doing it for graphics cards with custom full-card water blocks. Then there's also the fact that using those kinds of blocks for graphics cards is especially expensive, since you need to buy one each time you change cards and GPU water cooling is an extra PITA because if you ever need to take a card out (maybe it's covering some mobo connector, for instance) you probably need to drain your loop, then fill it up again. That's potentially hours of work compared to what could be minutes.

It's not so bad for CPUs because the water blocks don't change unless the CPU cooler mount changes and they also generally don't cover up any relevant part of the mobo. I have a CPU loop with a water block compatible with every Intel socket from the 1st gen i5s up to Skylake, for instance.

Since I live in a panel house with no yard or balcony it is problematic to power one outside. The canned air, on the other hand is already pressurised and portable.

The radiator can have a larger cooling surface area and as such it needs less airflow to dissipate the heat, there's also room for more, larger fans than on a CPU cooler or graphics card cooler, so the fans can run at lower RPM.

You do it dickhole. You're the one saying a pump is noisier.
Every loop I ever built (not many mind you) was for the specific purpose of getting GPU coolers to shut up and get fans well under 1000RPM.
The big trade off with a custom loop is the price premium, that shit is overpriced as fuck, and maintenance.

Yeah, this is true if temps are actually going to be below ambient in any part of the system.

Radiator radiator+pump noise is just as bad.

Wouldn't that thing rip apart your computer?

>Think about it. What does liquid cooling do over normal cooling? Fucking nothing. The "liquid" in liquid cooling isn't even for cooling the components, it only transfers the heat to a radiator mounted at a different location which a fan then has to blow air through regardless. If you were to look at total components:
No, no and no! If you have a good enough radiator, then you don't need any fans for it.

No it's battery powered. Very much a consumer grade apparatus
I just got it because it lasts longer than those little datavac things

so where can I buy a cheap battleship?

First of all that. But stick some sub 10dB fans on there and you have very reasonable temps under load, quieter than a lot of air cooled systems are idle.

Had you added "idle" I would have agreed with you in the case of rads with very dense fins.
Now I just think it's bait

>state that water cooling is noisy
>other user has already posted pics showing that water cooling is noist

B-BBUT THOSE ARE ONLY SHITTY ONES MY CUSTOM LOOP MAKES NO NOISE

>doesn't post proof

okay.

Do you think people have sound level testing chambers and equipment to test their custom loops in so they can post "proof" for you? Are you that retarded?

I don't know what to tell you man. Swiftech MCP655 is all you need to know.
On the lowest setting you pretty much have to hold it up to your head to hear it. Let alone inside a case with the side on.

In the reviews I can find noise tests seem to be downplayed ever so slightly because the D5 is quieter than ambient.

Unless SPCR brings one into their anechoic chamber you'll have to take my word for it.

>

>compression fittings
I can believe it.
Looks like it's screwed on too tight

you don't need to understand thermodynamics OP, just think a little bit.

1. They are LOUDER than air-cooled parts.
2. Each component in your PC produces heat. If you have a tiny ass case, you might have issues with parts heating up other parts. Liquid cooling might be good for this because it insulates the heat generation from part to part and heat is released by the radiator.
3. Liquid cooling is the only option if you have a window on your case.

Nvidia gpus?

Overclocking is a meme. Water cooling is only necessary if you're overclocking, so by extension, it is a meme as well.

>OOB cooler

Nigga you're fucking retarded if you think that piece of shit is comparable to custom loop.

>no reservoir
>small ass tube
>shitty pumps
>small radiator

Well it's a meme in as much as it affects my frame rate in Planetside 2 greatly

But yeah yeah vidya and what not

Its definitely quieter but bit more expensive.

GPU and CPU cooling via watercooling is the best option. Air cooling is the cheap/mainstream option.

But watercooling has a downside that its bit bulky and requires bit more space.

buyers remorse

I have 3 different rigs, 4th one I sold to a friend.

2 of them uses air, 2 watercooling. So I know the difference.

Is it used some kind of non conductive liquid or you would be pretty much fucked if that happened?

I don't get it

Certainly. But even if the liquid isn't conductive, it can go wrong because of dust and stuff getting ions into the liquid.

Many use non-conductive liquid in their setups. If set up properly (custom) the chances of spills are very low. The modern AIO watercooling setups are much more robust than that of 10 years ago. Been using 2 in my setups for 2 years and never had issues.

I'm hijacking this thread with a question.

I have a silverstone raven RV02 case (excellent air cooling case) but I'm interested in getting an AIO CPU cooler like the NZXT Kraken x61.

Is it possible to just mount the radiator (maybe just laying it) to the 180 mm fans on the bottom of my case without using the included fans?

The idea would be to reduce the amount of fans in my case - I could just use the 3 180 mm fans to cool the radiator and my case.

You still need ambient cooling tho.
Just buy a filtered case.

Yup, air coolers are still the best.

>more silent than a variable speed D5 on setting 1 or 2
pump of the master race senpai

only time I ever heard anything out of mine was when it swallowed an air bubble during the initial fill of the loop

I use 2 of them. They're silent.

>noctua
>oob

yeah, the only retard is you.

>literally 1 kilos of bullshit on the mobo
>have to use suspension and shit
dream on retard

So basically just stick to air cooling unless you're going full super enthusiast mode?

ahahaha enjoy your static electricty fuckass

Those things fry motherboards all the time.

ALL clc's except the predator are shit.

Custom loop or air are your only options.

If the computer was off it might be fine.

Does anyone have the A40/A80 AIO coolers? Is it a meme/gimmick? The reviews I've seen show that it performs better at a lower price than the competition. But it looks so silly I can barely believe it.

>silly
>chipset cooling

Its a real bitch that most reviers have no idea how to actually monitor motherboard temperatures along with the cpu itself - having an ice cold cpu is no use if the vrms are melting as yo uare slamming loads of volts through them.

Actually this is a serious issue for retards benching the rather infamous 9590 - it uses so much voltage that a lot of motherboards (especially that fucking msi 970 that is so popular) will actually throttle the vrms (and thus, the cpu) to stop them from exploding.

>amd

Well there's your problem. My x99 board vrm never breaks 60c even with 400w going through it. My z87 board stays cool to the touch as well.

The 9590 is just the most obvious example but it affects all cpus when overclocking. Good case airflow will often solve it but far too manyt AIO shitters cannot into airflow.

> is it actually useful for reducing noise or extending the life of the computer
No, unless you spend a shitton of money on a custom one.

>63c
>throttle

Sounds like an AMD problem to me

>4790k
>AMD

user, please.

What he's saying is that 63c isn't anywhere close to throttling, thus it must be an AMD problem if their shit gets so hot that it does throttle.

>thus it must be an AMD problem if their shit gets so hot that it does throttle.

That just shows you have no idea how motherboards work or - more precisely given the context of a 9590 - how retarded reviewers are. As you surely know just about every 970 chipset motherboard is rated for 140w or less, the 9590 is a 220w cpu. The point being people are slapping a cpu on a motherboard not built to handle it and then wonder why it throttles.

Most of them just point the temp gun at the mother board heat sinks. They do show around a 10°C decrease though.

AMD is shit, we get it. Now fuck off.

How far from the target do you think I'm standing
It's not a vacuum idiot

Post yfw you probably have more fans blowing air out of your case rather than in, causing negative pressure and dust to settle.

Thinking about a silent and efficient air-cool build.
What do you think about Fractal Design Define S + few additional noctua fans?

Sounds good
When they clear the front like that "to fit rads" it really clears up things for all airflow.
Read reviews of the case, but I don't think anyone here will tell you that anything you said doesn't sound good.

AIO are fine if you can get it. Custom ones are for enthusiasts tier and should only be done if you have time/resources/patience.

>meme case
>meme fans
The key to silent aircooling is airflow. What you want is a Silverstone FT05

is water leaking with liquid cooler really a big issue as they say it is? I wanna get one because I live in a hot area and I don't want my pc melting, I've heard that liquid is runs cooler than air but does it really or is it just marketing?

If you don't know what you're doing it can be.
I think what happeend in is that they tightened the compression fittings too much. That can start to cut the tube.
If you aren't aware of this kind of thing because you haven't read up on dos and don'ts and you just go out and buy a kit and go on your merry way... Well.

Oh and what cooler do you have now. Like it has been mentioned above liquid cooling may not yield much better temps in ambient is really high where you're at.

just the stock fans which came with my pc. i dont really overclock nor do i play games a lot so it served me fine, but now my pc's temps are starting to rise and I'm worried.

Just get a tried and tested tower cooler.
That Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo that everyone keeps banging on about will do admirably.

Only experience I have with wc is ultimate meme.
My cousin just bought 300€ worth of WC parts after his Raijintek Triton cracked the pump/reservoir, and even he admits it's just for looks.

>has an i5 4670k
>has a z87 board
>never oc'd in his life, doesn't even want to

Hah. Yeah that's pretty bad.
All the wrong reasons.

Meanwhile I'm running a 4790 well under check in only a CM Hyper T4.
Wish it was a K, but anyway, I'm more than happy with the performance. (got this in an interesting trade for my old laptop, quite possibly to this day the faggot still thinks he made a better deal, but that's another story entirely).

>1000 watts of heat
>watts
>of heat

dafuq are you on about?

>The standard unit for the rate of heat transferred is the watt (W), defined as joules per second.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat