Is it just me or hard drive aren't getting any bigger ?

Is it just me or hard drive aren't getting any bigger ?
It's 2016, I expected 10To hard drive for 150€ or something but no. I get nothing.

I guess they're focusing on ssds, 8tb for 250€ is decent

1) Moore's law is drying up
2) Supply & demand - when you hear of things like foods in Taiwan, supply goes down because we don't have people making them on the cheap.

Why would they need to? We have unlimited cloud storage space.

>[THE CURRENT YEAR]
Companies are focusing more on SSDs.

>8tb for 250€ is decent
Well that's true, but still I feel like everything is slowing down.

I don't trust the cloud and no one should. They say they replicate stuff, they have backupd etc, etc... And then they loose all your shits because some bitter fedora hacked their datacenter or the sysadmin went full retard. I'd rather have stuff in the could AND at home because:
-Cloud ain't safe
-My internet connection ain't safe
-My hard drive ain't safe
-Whatever can fail between the cloud and me, like some undersea cable break or something, it already happened twice, the cable broke and everyone bandwith was divided by 20 or something... Or the ISP can go full retard and block some DNS, like in the UK where everyone is crazy.
-Nothing is safe

Cloud is nice but not reliable.

HONHONHON BAGUETTE STEAK FRITES

Don't forget you Frenchfags are getting taxed on storage media so don't expect prices to be low, ever.

We have 8TB drives on sale right now. They are absolutely getting bigger you retard.

Wtf

Upgrading my media PC from a 2TB drive to an 8TB one soon. Gonna be goooooooooooood.

No normal consumer needs 10tb. I have like 14tb from a combination of drives but I torrent and save all my media in high quality, but that isn't normal consumer behavior (yet, if ever)

Drives are cheap, just get multiple. It's also safer because if a drive fails you don't lose everything. I don't bother backing up media I can just torrent again, but it's still nice knowing that if I lose a drive it's at most 2tb at a time rather than an entire 8tb going at once.

If you trust your email to be on some server that you can't control you can trust your shopping list and k-pop music being there, user.

And if you host your own email there is no hope for you anyway.

nice economics meme

I just replaced a 1TB drive that I bought 5 years ago. I was surprised to see that they cost exactly what they did 5 years ago.

>I don't know where, but you fucked up somewhere

you either stole the drive 5 years ago or you got hosed this year.

nah 5 years ago sounds like prices just before that flood where they jumped in cost hugely
they aren't too far off where they were then

How many years till all drives are SSDs being made rather than HDDs?

never
tape will always be more effective and safe
for average computer user - about 5-10 years

Bruh we still make tape cassette drives.

They still make ancient processors for hobbyists, doesn't mean they aren't dead.

Hard drives, fucking RAM (we've been on a 4-8GB standard for how long now?), CPU speed, CPU cores, (maybe cache OK) Network speed, fucking battery life hasn't improved since, ever really. And don't even get me started on UI's in general. I think we've collectively regressed to 1977 on that front.

Don't be fooled by shiny IPhones and tablet fads. The industry has undergone a major stagnation in the last decade. People paid for "good enough" and there is no demand for better. Companies know this and are beginning to settle on "ok" en-masse.

Look up devolution in art in late antiquity. Declining quality despite increased volume is an actual thing. Awesome software could have kept people on Desktops and industry on the right track, but nobody wrote it and Steve Jobs came along with a turtleneck and touchscreen and now we are where we are. Fees bad man.

He's asking when HDDs will cease to be made at all and his answer is never.

Not him, but 1tb drives are at that point where they won't go far under £40/50 untill they stop making them because of various costs.

The odd one is 2tb drives which I bought about five years ago for an £80 portable model and these days they're still at £60 now.

gratz?

The average computer user doesn't use tape.
Except it's not hobbyists that use tape as much as archivists. I believe modern tape has a fuckton of storage but is a pain in the ass to use. (You have to rewind or fast forward to the data you want to access instead of just being to call up any data you want whenever.)

>nah 5 years ago sounds like prices just before that flood where they jumped in cost hugely

the thing in thailand?

holy kek, i remember that. i was building babbys first gaymen computer and got slapped with an extra $100 on the total cost, so i ate noodles for a week and got the worst diarrhea i've ever had.

th..thanks

average user uses tape when he uses cloud and other internet services

Imagine if Microsoft hadn't forced Windows into every PC?

Oh, I see. You mean the servers the cloud services are hosted on have the data they store stored on tape. (I'm assuming in addition to other storage mediums, right?)

What does Moore's Law have to do with hard drives?

I guess transfer speeds, and the mount we can physically hold on a disk until new innovations happen

You know, kinda interesting you point that out, since Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone with an attack on pre-iPhone cellphone software, which he said was like, "baby software."

The question is... Do you need more than 8TB?

>10To
Baguette more pls

My brother sure does. Though, he edits video regularly.
I don't really mess with large files tho.